Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K-Roy
Apr 7, 2004
Guitar Center's Memorial Day 15% off coupon made the purchase of this shiny new toy today possible:

Fresh out of the box, desperately needing affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Update to my previous post: Turns out the GK-1 came with the mounting bracket after all, so I stuck it to my baby. Unf.

Click for more.

Edit: Sound sample - http://soundcloud.com/robotoroboros/tele-esquire-gr700

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 3, 2011

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
What is up with that tailpiece? I remember that the guitar got caught in a fire, but I don't understand all those weird parts. Is it just something you frankensteined together?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's a B-bender. For changing the tuning on the fly.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Yeah, but there's some other poo poo goin on there as well. Looks like a Bigsby-by-way-of-Garand tremolo, the B-bender and another bender and maybe a stray Allen wrench?

e: looked at the rest of the pics and it looks like a (low-high) E, G and B benders and a trem.

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 1, 2011

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Warcabbit posted:

That's a B-bender. For changing the tuning on the fly.

Whoah. I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years and I've never heard of this. (Granted, I play mostly nylon and acoustic). Could I use this to go from standard to Drop D without having to dick around with a tuner onstage while the audience gets restless?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Mandals posted:

Whoah. I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years and I've never heard of this. (Granted, I play mostly nylon and acoustic). Could I use this to go from standard to Drop D without having to dick around with a tuner onstage while the audience gets restless?

The drop-d thing is on the tuner itself

The B-bender (located here)is connected to the front strap peg and when you push up and down on the guitar, the string stretches and relaxes through a series of pullies inside the guitar body:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m37-2eB-wj8

Hipshot (and others as well I'm sure) also makes a bunch of bridge bending things, for the low, low price of ~$1000 US if you go whole hog (click image for details):

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Check _this_ out. The Clarence White Fender Custom Shop guitar.
http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php?photo=1533
It's got a B-bender... but high and low E have what's called "Scruggs banjo preset tuners". They have preset locking pitches, one being E on 1 and 6, the other being D, so you can just go flip flip and be DADGBD. Bill Keith made an updated version.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
bought a thing

It's been about a year since I saw a guitar I liked enough to want to buy it, so that's neat. I love the body and I love the neck, but the pots and caps have to go - they make the pickups sound like poo poo in humbucker config, though when set as singles, they sound fine.

~bros~

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

bought a thing

Oh poo poo. This is the first I've heard of the Pawn Shop series. Which sucks, y'know, cuz now I want this:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Handen posted:

Oh poo poo. This is the first I've heard of the Pawn Shop series. Which sucks, y'know, cuz now I want this:

Find someone selling the Squire version that came out a few years ago and save yourself $600-$700.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

I love the body and I love the neck, but the pots and caps have to go - they make the pickups sound like poo poo in humbucker config, though when set as singles, they sound fine.

how can you tell? They make the pickups way too bright or too dark or something?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

bought a thing

It's been about a year since I saw a guitar I liked enough to want to buy it, so that's neat. I love the body and I love the neck, but the pots and caps have to go - they make the pickups sound like poo poo in humbucker config, though when set as singles, they sound fine.

~bros~

Fender? Doing something... DIFFERENT?!

Color me intrigued. Now if only they'd do a line of basses with neat configurations like that.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 3, 2011

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Handen posted:

Update to my previous post: Turns out the GK-1 came with the mounting bracket after all, so I stuck it to my baby. Unf.

Click for more.

Is it weird to be physically aroused by your guitar?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scarf posted:

Fender? Doing something... DIFFERENT?!

Color me intrigued. Now if only they'd do a line of basses with neat configurations like that.

This is new from the Custom Shop, but probably out of normal peoples price range.

A guitar too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thumposaurus posted:

This is new from the Custom Shop, but probably out of normal peoples price range.

A guitar too.

Yeah, I meant outside of the custom shop. Their Lotto-Bass was awesome looking, but it was too aptly named. You literally had to win the lotto in order to purchase it.

The Custom Shop is just the mid-life-crisis department at Fender; completely a purchase of status. And really, for that kind of money, there are multitudes of basses I'd rather buy.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Thumposaurus posted:

This thing is rad as gently caress but pricing it as a CS model is just bizarre. It looks exactly like a parts mongrel and I can't imagine the people who would want it are the kind to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

the wizards beard posted:

This thing is rad as gently caress but pricing it as a CS model is just bizarre. It looks exactly like a parts mongrel and I can't imagine the people who would want it are the kind to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar

Looks like they just flipped a Reverend upside down to me.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Hello UPS man :buddy:

Malden Guitars had (is having?) a huge sale to get rid of all their inventory, and as much as I love my Agile-3100, I've really been wanting something with single coils. I figured that for $200 + 50 for shipping, even if the guitar didn't sound great I'd still be happy to have it. Imagine my excitement when I found out that this thing sounds phenomenal!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oh, good, it came! Whadup, Malden Buddy. So, talk to me here. How do the pickups come out? How's it feel?

Edit: Man, this page is nothing but Jazzmaster Body Love. That Squier '51, I hear is a delight, by the way. Even with the weird lack of a tone knob.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 3, 2011

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

A guitar too.

Well that sucks, they make right-handed guitar with a reversed Jazzmaster body, but not a left-handed JM.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Thumposaurus posted:

A guitar too.

Oh yeah, that's cool Fender. Just flip the Jazzmaster body. It's not like anybody ever uses frets above the 19th, anyway.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all

I've recently discovered that Mockingbird shape guitars are sexy as hell. Are there any brands OTHER than BC Rich who make 'em? Dont necessarily have anything against BC Rich Mockingbirds, but they're hard to find 'round my town. Not too fussed on the quality as I'm gonna put EMGs into it (which means it'll sound like every other guitar with EMGs) and it's going to be used as a flashy stage guitar.

yearns for u
Nov 3, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all

I've recently discovered that Mockingbird shape guitars are sexy as hell. Are there any brands OTHER than BC Rich who make 'em? Dont necessarily have anything against BC Rich Mockingbirds, but they're hard to find 'round my town. Not too fussed on the quality as I'm gonna put EMGs into it (which means it'll sound like every other guitar with EMGs) and it's going to be used as a flashy stage guitar.

http://www.rondomusic.com/EG4BOTWR.HTML

Though that only comes in one color, so you might be better off just ordering a BC Rich online instead.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Went to the Portland Guitar Swap today. Came home with a telecaster!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got a Fernandes Sustainer guitar. Some variant of the Revolver Pro, two modes to the sustainer system. Fixed bridge, not Tune-o-Matic style; EMG-HZ (unsure which sort as I haven't disassembled it but it has a row of adjustable pole pieces, so it's a 1 or 2 I think). $150, with a strap and a bass gig bag thrown in :v: I've always wanted to try one, it's about as cool as I thought it would be. I'm wondering if there's something I can do to increase the strength of the Sustainer itself - maybe a slightly higher voltage battery, I dunno, I have no idea what the electronics involved are but I know going from a dying alkaline pushing something like 6-7V at lower current to a fresh alkaline 9V at its full current increased the speed of sustainer action on the wound strings substantially.

I'm going to bet the string composition has a substantial impact, as well.

It's a cool trick, the neck's well made. There's no indication of where it was manufactured... Korea or Taiwan seem like the two most likely bets based on its hardware, though.

Neat addition to the collection for the price.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Handen posted:

Click for more.

mucho mojo

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

Assberging posted:

Hello UPS man :buddy:

Malden Guitars had (is having?) a huge sale to get rid of all their inventory, and as much as I love my Agile-3100, I've really been wanting something with single coils. I figured that for $200 + 50 for shipping, even if the guitar didn't sound great I'd still be happy to have it. Imagine my excitement when I found out that this thing sounds phenomenal!

Sup Malden buddy! I jumped on the sale bandwagon too. Just got mine today. I also have an Agile 3000 and it was the best playing guitar I owned until I got the Utopia today. Sounds and plays great. If anyone is on the fence about one of these, you don't need to be any more. Get one. At these prices they're great.

It's great to play a single-coil through my Fender amp finally.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm jumping on the Malden bandwagon soon. What would make a company sell $700 guitars at $200? Really I don't care much, I've been wanting a single coil for a long time, but man is this a good deal.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Handen posted:

Your guitar does funny things to me in my pants. I must acquire a butterscotch tele and torture it within and inch of it's life.

Stechschritt
Mar 29, 2007

KARLORE CAN FUCK ANYTHING!
Here are some artsy fartsy pictures of the Les Paul Studio I got in today. It was supposed to come in a gig bag and even said so on the shipping invoice. So imagine my surprise when I open up the box and find a Gibson hardshell. Excellent guitar. I have been playing wanky floyd guitars with EMGs for the past few years and the change in tone is great.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm jumping on the Malden bandwagon soon. What would make a company sell $700 guitars at $200? Really I don't care much, I've been wanting a single coil for a long time, but man is this a good deal.

Weren't they discontinuing everything and basically starting over hand making everything in the USA? It looked like they literally liquidated their stock.

Those Utopias are sexy as hell, but I've already got a Fender. Wish they had more cream Karmas left.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 8, 2011

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009
I was basically never going to go wireless, until I heard my other guitarists Line6 G50 that he was given to try out.

I then bought the G90, because obviously bigger numbers are better!

I was playing outside(like, outside outside) with no tone loss, and played a show the same night walking around the venue, same thing, with no tone loss. Amazing unit. It's a revision from the X2 series, mainly just stronger build quality from whatever junk they used before. The pack is solid metal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have the G30, the way they compartmentalised it seems a bit of a dick move as besides the extra 20 metres you dont need anyway the only difference between it and the 50 is that the 30 has a lovely battery compartment and the 50 doesent.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Stechschritt posted:

Here are some artsy fartsy pictures of the Les Paul Studio I got in today. It was supposed to come in a gig bag and even said so on the shipping invoice. So imagine my surprise when I open up the box and find a Gibson hardshell. Excellent guitar. I have been playing wanky floyd guitars with EMGs for the past few years and the change in tone is great.

How's the weight balance and feel overall compared to what you are used to? Been looking at getting a Studio or even a new 60's LP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Three Red Lights posted:

I have the G30, the way they compartmentalised it seems a bit of a dick move as besides the extra 20 metres you dont need anyway the only difference between it and the 50 is that the 30 has a lovely battery compartment and the 50 doesent.

I really like that the G30 takes a normal 1/4" instead of the goofy TA4F connector that the 50 and 70 do, but you also do get an extra six channels and metal construction on the more expensive ones.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Steiler Drep posted:

I impulsively bought one of their subhuman guitars after seeing the price. The long scale and string through body is going to be awesome. Never heard of tesla pickups but how bad could they be?

Stechschritt
Mar 29, 2007

KARLORE CAN FUCK ANYTHING!

Schatten posted:

How's the weight balance and feel overall compared to what you are used to? Been looking at getting a Studio or even a new 60's LP.

Pretty great. It feels lighter in my hands than my LTD MH1000 but the scale says its almost 1.5lbs heavier.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Where are the current Malden guitars made, out of curiosity? I checked back when I was thinking about getting one a bit ago, and it looks like they used to sell for about $100 to $150 more than they're blowing them out for, so that price slashed figure looks to be MSRP laffo-bux rather than MAP. Are they made in China, Korea, Mexico, or...?

Edit: They've definitely streeted for lower prices in the past. At one point in 2008 there was a similar blowout, but on ebay, where they were going for $250ish (similar to now, but not identical). And to answer my own question it looks like they're Made In Korea. Which is fine with me, love Korean guitars, finely made :cool:

I don't think I'll be picking one up, but the Jazzmaster is tempting.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I already have a "60's Retro Vibe" Squiar Strat-- it's pretty decent, I like the neck/feel/playability of it and certainly has that Strat single-coil sound.

Would it be worth my time and money to pick up a Malden Utopia or is it going to be about the same quality as my Strat? The Retro Vibe series is already really good quality for a budget instrument. But its pickups are fairly noisy/buzzy and if the Malden has better electronics it might be worth it for $200.