Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

voltron posted:

If it turns out to be your rear shock mounts, I am trying to get rid of some new in box Rogue Engineering mounts that fit E46s, let me know!

I'm definitely in the market, send me a note at redacted

discstickers posted:

Hello E90 :)

2010 335ix 6-speed with the M-sport package and less than 22k miles.

The new front bumper on those looks so, so good.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

That was a pretty E39. I don't think I see those in red very often at all.

I've only ever seen one other one.

Excluding M5s, it looks like there are maybe 4 or 5 red (not burgundy) E39s in the whole US for sale (one of which is mine).

Agreed on the M-sport revisions to the E90s.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

discstickers posted:

Goodbye E39 :(

Hello E90 :)

2010 335ix 6-speed with the M-sport package and less than 22k miles.

Nice pickup. I love the front bumpers on the M package.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Remember that E36 that the people kept saying it was a blown head gasket I was talking about. Well, I went over, the over flow tank was low. So I added coolant, opened the bleed screw and let it run for a while until coolant bubbled out.

Problem solved. I now have a free 12 pack of beer in my fridge.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone here ever order a steering rack from carsteering.com before? I'm pretty sure my rack is toast - shimmy under braking, clunk when turning the wheel back and forth quickly. In the past year I've replaced control arms, FCABs, tie rods, struts, springs, rotors + pads. Had my tires balanced multiple times by seperate shops, and swapped on my winters to check. Still get the shimmy. I figure it's got to be something in the lower steering column so I'm just going to say gently caress it and replace the rack/knuckle/lower spindle.

Carsteering has a new rack listed for 275, vs 225 + 100 core for a reman. It'd cost me more than the 50 difference to ship it back from canada, and the cheapest one I can find inside the border is 380+core.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Remember that E36 that the people kept saying it was a blown head gasket I was talking about. Well, I went over, the over flow tank was low. So I added coolant, opened the bleed screw and let it run for a while until coolant bubbled out.

Problem solved. I now have a free 12 pack of beer in my fridge.

Glad you have the 12 pack in your possession right now, because cooling systems are (supposed to be) closed loops. When everything is right it doesn't just "get low". And on an E36 the usual suspects are the usual suspects.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Glad you have the 12 pack in your possession right now, because cooling systems are (supposed to be) closed loops. When everything is right it doesn't just "get low". And on an E36 the usual suspects are the usual suspects.

I forgot to add that they changed the water pump, upper radiator hose and radiator. I think they just figured keep throwing parts at it, that would solve the problem. I told them yes, they did do the right thing by rebuilding the whole cooling system, but just need to follow the proper bleeding procedures.

But it is an E36 with 175,000 miles on it. I now am going to coach them on replacing the front end parts and doing a few other things. They are shocked as to how simple this car really is.

Edit: vvv I know its a closed system, I just forgot to mention that in my first post.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 22, 2012

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I think his point was that bleeding the system isn't the solution for disappearing coolant.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So over in the car recomendation thread I was asking about wagons and while I gently mentioned BMW I was responded to with some 5 series stuff (E34/39) and the E36 as good options.

So, uh, what should I know about these that I don't already (pretend I know nothing about BMWs in real life environments)?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
do you want a wagon, sedan, or coupe? USA?

BMW is making new F30 3-series wagons with several engines and you can still order a manual transmission if you wanted, and the X1 is pretty close to a wagon as well. There are also still quite a few used E46 325 wagons floating around and with a few various 5 series (E39/E60) wagons available.

Or if you live outside the USA you can get a new F10 5-Series Wagon

or in the M550d form :fap:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 23, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

USA. Wagon for sure. Used for sure. The dealer was a hilarious experience when I went in and started talking about wagons in the first place, let alone anything with a manual transmission ("oh well that'd be like 6 months out etc......."). And really, I want to all of my own repair work on it, so I was thinking something a bit older.

I did see a few 318ti models show up on autotrader, and I remember those being both neat and awful for some reason. I don't really want anything that small, but if there's something really great about driving them I wouldn't rule them out.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Mr. Wiggles posted:

USA. Wagon for sure. Used for sure. The dealer was a hilarious experience when I went in and started talking about wagons in the first place, let alone anything with a manual transmission ("oh well that'd be like 6 months out etc......."). And really, I want to all of my own repair work on it, so I was thinking something a bit older.

I did see a few 318ti models show up on autotrader, and I remember those being both neat and awful for some reason. I don't really want anything that small, but if there's something really great about driving them I wouldn't rule them out.

318ti's aren't bad, but they're not great. They're basically an E36/E30 hybrid, with the M42 4 cylinder motor. Slower, but still tons of fun to toss around, and has a useable hatch. They use E36 front suspension, and E30 rear trailing arm suspension.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mr. Wiggles posted:

E34 535i Wagon. Barring that, a E39 540i wagon.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sales people at dealers are douches and consider walk-ins "victims", FTMP. There are several great ones around L.A. though, that will take orders and get you a good deal ($500 over invoice) on new stuff. USA you can order with $1k deposit.

Since you are looking at used you are going to find mostly E46 wagons available with a few manual transmissions. You are going to have to go national to find what you want, just get it inspected and have a local goon peep at it for you if you can.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

:drat:

I usually find wagons hideous outside of certain Subarus but that is excellent.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This is pretty good advice in here. I'll keep looking around and see what I can turn up.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Get an e34 530iT 5 speed, switch the 3 liter motor for the 4 and you're done.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Doh. Time to replace the control arms, bushings, and tierods this weekend on my E46. On a scale of Easy to Swearing-and-hitting-things-with-a-hammer, how bad is this job? I think I have a 3 jaw puller somewhere...

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Doh. Time to replace the control arms, bushings, and tierods this weekend on my E46. On a scale of Easy to Swearing-and-hitting-things-with-a-hammer, how bad is this job? I think I have a 3 jaw puller somewhere...

I haven't done tie-rods, but the control arms and bushings are pretty easy if you have a ball-joint separator and know to use a jack to apply pressure to the underside of the balls to keep them from spinning while you remove/replace the nuts.

Otherwise you might be tempted to bust out an angle grinder to get them off.

Which also works, btw.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

televiper posted:

Otherwise you might be tempted to bust out an angle grinder to get them off.

Most effective method ever.

I found a cheap E36 M3... please help me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Get an e34 530iT 5 speed, switch the 3 liter motor for the 4 and you're done.

This is my long term goal for a DD.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Infinotize posted:

Depends entirely on where your car has been driven. CA car? chip shot. Rain, snow, heavy winters? Make sure you have plenty of cutting tools around.

I did the front suspension on my e36 m3 recently and had to cut off both ends of the swaybar endlink on one side and had to have a shop do the control arms because there was no space to get the center bolt off (only a crescent wrench) and it had 15 years of snow/salt corrosion. The tie rods, struts, and top hats were easy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

E34 535i Wagon. Barring that, a E39 540i wagon.

535 tourings simply don't exist in NA, unless I missed something. AFAIK the only e34 wagon options for us were the 525 and the 530.

You could always move to canada... http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_5912071_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Is anyone going to Bimmerfest East tomorrow?

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Picked up the 335 today. I hadn't driven it before since the dealership was about 3.5hrs east of Seattle.

It has the "performance" exhaust, which is nice I guess. It's also de-badged, for that extra bit of German authenticity.

But... there's a whistle at around 50mph. Really annoying. I guess I'll take it to a local dealership, but searching around, there doesn't seem to be much BMW can do about it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

discstickers posted:

Picked up the 335 today. I hadn't driven it before since the dealership was about 3.5hrs east of Seattle.

It has the "performance" exhaust, which is nice I guess. It's also de-badged, for that extra bit of German authenticity.

But... there's a whistle at around 50mph. Really annoying. I guess I'll take it to a local dealership, but searching around, there doesn't seem to be much BMW can do about it.

They just called up Bubb Rubb!! It's all about the whoo!!!! whoo!!!!!

Didn't know he got outta Oakland much.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Put a fog machine in your car. Look where smoke comes out.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Oh, apparently it has the BMW Performance Power kit too. This is crazy, the car has $2400 in extras and 20+hp I didn't even know about.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

discstickers posted:

I believe the whistling sound comes from the side mirrors, some cars have it, others don't. Put your windows down when it's happening and see if you can hear it louder.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

discstickers posted:

Have you driven a stock exhaust 335 and have any goon like review comparing it to the performance exhaust on your car?

I am considering having BMW throw the performance exhaust on my incoming 535 while it's at the Vehicle Delivery Center in Port Hueneme, CA (before it goes to my dealer in Santa Barbara.)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Have you driven a stock exhaust 335 and have any goon like review comparing it to the performance exhaust on your car?

I am considering having BMW throw the performance exhaust on my incoming 535 while it's at the Vehicle Delivery Center in Port Hueneme, CA (before it goes to my dealer in Santa Barbara.)

If you're looking for power, I wouldn't bother with it, you don't really see any gains from it. The stock exhaust is pretty loud if you install a piggy back ecu or disconnect the connector for the exhaust flap and leave it open all the time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, yeah....I realize there wouldn't be any power gain, just looking for something closer to the growly goodness of the Remus on my current E46 330. The VDC price is around $1,400 installed which, although horrid, isn't as bad as some alternatives and would be done before I even get the car.

It seems nearly all the Remus/Eisenmann exhausts are over $2k just to buy, made for F10 550's (quad tip, need to buy 550 diffuser) and even the cheaper alternatives are still quad tips. Megan Racing is supposed to be coming out with a double tip though soon.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

I thought you all might be interested to see that I have finished my 318is project, which involved a skipped timing chain tooth because of failed chain guides, which bent several valves:

Before:

During:

After:

I was pretty shocked that it started and ran since this was my first time rebuilding a head or doing anything of this magnitude. After a week or two of testing, everything seems to be running perfect. I'm really happy!

I really didn't have much of a choice to finish, since I needed to clear the garage out so I could do this:

But that's a story for another post.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Stealth Like posted:

If you're looking for power, I wouldn't bother with it, you don't really see any gains from it. The stock exhaust is pretty loud if you install a piggy back ecu or disconnect the connector for the exhaust flap and leave it open all the time.

On the N54/N55 it's 5hp(!) over stock.

It's definitely louder than the stock exhaust, but I can't tell much difference otherwise.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I'm heavily considering a 1995 E34 530i as my next car.. I've already been to a dealership and had a look at a '93 model, which I decided against as it had a rough idle (BMW orientated friend said this was a oil something diaphragm at the back of the manifold perishes then leaks oil into the intake), and control arms that needed replacing.

I've also heard that with the M60 engine, they had a habit of eating the oil pump, is there much more I should really be looking for?

Also, cannot freaking wait to actually own one if this next one goes well; hardly used in the past year, full leather, bone stock, 150,000 k's. The two problems it has? "Two" of it's windows are stuck up from not being used. Aaand it's in Canberra, 1,400 k's away, which necessitates quite a long drive home.. and a risky purchase.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fingerling posted:

I'm heavily considering a 1995 E34 530i as my next car.. I've already been to a dealership and had a look at a '93 model, which I decided against as it had a rough idle (BMW orientated friend said this was a oil something diaphragm at the back of the manifold perishes then leaks oil into the intake), and control arms that needed replacing.

I've also heard that with the M60 engine, they had a habit of eating the oil pump, is there much more I should really be looking for?

Also, cannot freaking wait to actually own one if this next one goes well; hardly used in the past year, full leather, bone stock, 150,000 k's. The two problems it has? "Two" of it's windows are stuck up from not being used. Aaand it's in Canberra, 1,400 k's away, which necessitates quite a long drive home.. and a risky purchase.

I would avoid it. Try to find a 535i instead. The 3.0 V8 has no gain on power over the M30 6, and the M30 is about as bullet proof as they come. Unless you can get it dirt cheap, hauled to your place, and your handy with a wrench, just pass. The diaphragm is easy to replace, just a bitch to get at.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I know alot of you e30 guys frequent r3vlimited but just wanted to get this '75 2002 sleeper out here because it is indeed Automotive Insanity and one of the best build threads I have ever read.
He builds ITB's for a M20.
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=247406

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I would avoid it. Try to find a 535i instead. The 3.0 V8 has no gain on power over the M30 6, and the M30 is about as bullet proof as they come. Unless you can get it dirt cheap, hauled to your place, and your handy with a wrench, just pass. The diaphragm is easy to replace, just a bitch to get at.

It doesn't even get better gas mileage either (which is terrible with both the M30 and M60B30).

If you want a V8, wait for a 540, preferably the '95 6spds.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I had a 530 (check my posts in this thread) and although I loved it dearly, it was 525 performance at 540 economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
My bimmerfest pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/GIXMg

Of special note is the lambo-doored "332i" which is the most horrible thing I have seen done to a car in a long...ever outside of the AI Horrible Thingss thread.

televiper fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 27, 2012