Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Honestly I was sour for like 2 weeks about it.

But you know what? Life is too short to ride bikes that don't make you smile.

So how do you explain all those KLR people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

cursedshitbox posted:

Our move fell apart so spousal unit N+1'd it.

I'm next in two weeks....
You're staying?

Cool. We do get to ride together.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So how do you explain all those KLR people?

It's not nice to joke about the retarded.

E: yeah Ilkhan i'm staying. I probably won't be able to keep up with you though. :P

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

cursedshitbox posted:

It's not nice to joke about the retarded.

E: yeah Ilkhan i'm staying. I probably won't be able to keep up with you though. :P
I only hit 110 like once a commute. You can keep up fine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I reserve going too fast for sex and desserts.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

I love both of my bikes. Though I wish my 919 had a windscreen for highway drives. But I appreciate the look the way it is.

CSi-NA-EJ7 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 8, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow, the z125 really does look exactly like the bigger bikes. What is that? Beautiful 919. I don't care if people say they are boring, they just look perfect.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oil leaking from the drain pan plug, which just seems to want to spin in its thread.

Other oil leak near the air box just spraying oil all over the frame. Granted, this was after ~5k miles. Whole bike needs a solid cleaning and some issues addressed after this year of abuse.

Also there's a Rottweiler-branded plate on the engine that I don't know what it goes to or what it means the previous owner did to it. I'll post that picture up later.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Also there's a Rottweiler-branded plate on the engine that I don't know what it goes to or what it means the previous owner did to it. I'll post that picture up later.

Condolences on that first issue. For the plate, it's probably from an emmisions system delete. The 690 has one you can put on when you remove the gas cannister and other things. I just capped the openings instead because who would spend that much for a random plate nobody sees.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Wow, the z125 really does look exactly like the bigger bikes. What is that? Beautiful 919. I don't care if people say they are boring, they just look perfect.

Yeah the 919 is amazing fun in the city. Plenty of power from any rpm to get going very quickly. It would probably have been more popular if it had fairings though the engine is a very strong point In its aesthetics. The z125 looks and feels like a small Z bike. Its a ton of fun and my gf loves riding it too. I like they way it looks more than the grom plus the suspension is stiffer which is a plus

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I remembered the air box mod spewing oil before I left on my trip. 5,000 miles used about 3/4 of the oil reservoir, it looks like, so going by the price of oil for this pig I need to get this resolved sooner rather than later.

Dinner date with the fiancée, so I snagged a pic of the plate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's definitely a PAIR delete plate, worry not. Oil spewing into the airbox is generally bad but can also just be Ktm things.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Crankcase Ventilation:

2003 - 2005. Under certain operating conditions, oil vapor was forced up the crankcase ventilation hose from the ignition rotor cover to the airbox where it deposited on/in the throat of the front carburetor eventually causing driveablity issues. Fix: A tech bulletin was issued with instructions for replacing the vent line with a new design which included a back pressure valve. However, this valve has caused other problems including, but not limited to, oil tank pressurization and crankcase pressurization and seal leaks. Other work around's include installing an LC4 crankcase breather filter (PN 58431070000) in the line or terminating the line outside the box with a small filter.

Also, a contributing factor (likely a major factor) to the excessive oil in the crankcase vent line is a bad balance shaft seal. This seal is on the left side of the engine behind the ignition cover. The purpose of the seal is to keep the oil mist from the crankshaft area from blowing through the balance shaft bearing into the ignition cover area, then out the vent hose in the cover, eventually depositing oil on the front carburetor intake. The proper way for the crankshaft area to vent is through holes in the balance shaft weights, then out through the hollow balance shaft to the ignition cover area. This circuitous path eliminates most of the oil vapor from the crankcase vent line. The ignition cover needs to be removed to get to the seal, naturally, so a new ignition cover gasket is recommended.

Balance shaft seal: 0760122050 ~$9USD
Ignition Cover gasket: 60030040100 ~$25USD

M42
Nov 12, 2012

oops my wallet slipped

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You needed a third so you could use all of the rails on your trailer anyway.

Speaking of which, what make of bike trailer is that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That a ttr230? You might be the only person in the world for who the front suspension is adequate.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not my trailer. Kendon 2 rail. Ttr 125 LE

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Sometimes I just hop on my bike and head to all places with funny names

https://imgur.com/a/XJ4Zr

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What's the bike with the #143 and race fairings?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's big, it's green, it's fast. My wife calls it Yoshi.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Excuse me I ordered a Kawasaki this morning, not a Honda Hornet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

What's the bike with the #143 and race fairings?

My trackbike, 05 gsxr 600

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It must be a perspective thing but the SV looks huge compared to the gsxr, which appears to be the same size as a ttr-125

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Rode around Lake Michigan this last week.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Like, around-around, like Iron Butt style?

Those pics make me miss my little Ninjette.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
All the way around, 1350ish miles in 5 days. Spent a day just messing around in the upper peninsula, that was the best especially since the first 2 days were cold and wet.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Heyho, just checking into the Asylum here

1. Yamaha R6 RJ15

A beast of a 600. Tops out at 16.500 RPM and 280 km/h. Super Agile
Always wanted to get one of the Full 4-1 Exhaust systems, but they are almost impossible to find nowadays.
Only things changed are the Brakelines (Red shielded Steel Flex lines) and the UFO License plate holder is changed for a less eye-hurting experience (also LED indicators for the back)

2. MV Agusta F4 750

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxheJz0i8rg&t=56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtaV5IZK-R0
My Dad always wanted an itallian Bike, but i dont like 2 Cylinders. This is a stunning and beautiful machine, but i also ride it occasionally (i dont think vehicles should just catch dust in a living room)
The Agusta cost me more than a few nervers. The fuel line Disconnectors broke (changed for Stainless steel ones), The Rear Brake Pump blew a seal at Higwhay speeds, The Front slipped from the Stand during a tire change (Repaint Nr1 for the Side Panes)
I also ran over a small Deer (Repaint Nr2 for the Side panels, at this point the Painter said 3rd one is free) and the Side stand digged into the tarmac at a gas station (repaint nr3 - for free this time)
Only Modifications are a combined Indicator/Brake light for the rear and a small license plate Holder.

Overall though, its worth the hassle. The machine is just absolutely beautiful to drive and to admire. She spends most of her time in the Living Room by the way (out of driving season)

3. Honda VFR 750
(yes it also has wheels)
(background)
I really like the 750 size for engines. this one is a definitive tourer and the only one i take passengers with. Great Sounding gear driven V4 Engine.
The VFR i completely rebuild at 18.000 Km (now sitting at 21 TKm). Also the Pro arm and parts of the Frame are Polished to a high gloss, same as with the outer Fork Pipes. Wheels Painted Purple (the Panels have Purple accents from Factory)
When i had the bike over here in an access restricted Public Garage the dude from the next spot dropped it into my car. I Still have to find the time to get a new Rear End for the bike, the patched up one is coming apart slowly.

4. KTM 640 Supermoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRFTwq9kbw

Before the 520i i had a BMW E36 318iS Coupe, but insurance was hell. Sold it and bought this beast of a Single Cylinder. almost 70HP from one piston. Aftermarket exhaust and no DB Killer makes this thing sound like a heavy Machine gun. Also Kickstarter is fun.
This is a completley rebuild Duke Frame with all the Parts that transform it into a legitimate 640 LC4 Supermoto (High Flow cylinder head too). Brembo Brakes and a German Silencer complete the build. This is a dream to ride. You can throw it into a corner at the weirdest angles and you alway come out fine.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you ridden an MV F4 with the 1,000cc engine? I rode an older one like a week ago and found it marvellous (provided you weren't going too slowly) but also ridiculously unmanageable and afterwards felt that it would probably be better with a smaller engine. Also for chrissake tilt the bloody camera up so you can see more than 4 feet worth of road. Also agree with you re: 750's. VFR800 is vastly superior to VFR1200, gixxer 750 is a much better bike than gixxer 1000 etc. ~130hp is absolutely perfect for the road if it's coupled with a decent bottom end; all the 'best' big bikes I've ridden have had between 100-140, any more and it just feels pointless and too difficult to get any fun out of.

Spain looks nice :unsmith:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sorry for the crappy angle. I tilted it a bit more in the second video but I noticed back home that it still wasn't enough. I usually visit Spain for 3 weeks in the summer and only record during the first week when I still learn (I think too much of the recording and I don't wanna jinx it an accidentally record my own demise). I also bought a proper PCM recorder for next year so the audio gets better. I'll make sure to record some better footage then.

The MV is mighty uncomfortable for stationary riding but as soon as you start moving your body around it becomes a pure joy. I would describe them as very "stable" it's easy to decide a certain line and you can work your body mass easily without getting "unrest" into the drive.

I drove the 1000 and I concur with your sentiment. For Street use I don't see much potential in it above the 750. I never extracted the full potential out of it aniways, there's still a couple thousand RPM to go till the limiter and the engine is very pointy in its torque development towards the higher rpm.

Quite a few of the locals ride 1000s from Japan and a few have BMW S1000s but these people go throu a set of tires a year. I guess at that point you can make good use of the extra 250ccm.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Combat Theory posted:

2. MV Agusta F4 750

Oh hi. I see that now I am not the only MV idiot on the forums. I put ~12.5k on my 800 in a year, and it's not been very happy about it at all.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yeah I know they burn a hole in your wallet and they give you sleepless nights... Still no way I'll ever part with mine again.

Also some of the odisseys of me getting service parts

In 2012 after I bought it, I went to ducati to get an oil filter. This doesn't sound like much of an issue and it wasn't. And indeed in 2013 it worked out as well

Cue MV ownership change.
2014 I drove to ducati. Same oil filter is stuck in most ducati bikes of that time. No luck though. "go to harley-davidson"

Okay then. Harley it is. Harley dealerships are like the deepest pit of hell to me. At least here it's full of middle aged lawyers and dentists who get treated like poo poo by overweight people in what I can only make out to be assless chaps.

The unfriendly dude quickly wiggled me off and send me to their mechanic in the basement when I told the magic name "MV" and that I wasn't interested in a 2500 euro leather bag either.

Mechanic was cool, apart from the fact that he had no documentation for MV or part software. So he called the same ducati place that send me there for the part number. Had to pick it up the next day then.

This worked for another 3 years until 1 day this year, the grumpy dude upstairs was even grumpier and when I said "MV" he didn't send me to the mechanic anymore but told me to gently caress off (he actually did lol). Turns out MV was sold once more.

I went back to the ducati place but no lunck "no MV in ages"

Okay then. Smoked a cigarette in the rain, checked my phone and found an Aprila dealer at the other end of the city. I mean last chance aniways, might just check it out.

Lo' behold. The dude actually had everything. The oil filter, the air filter and even the uncanny fuel disconnectors. Stocked. And he gave me the gnarly drain plug seal for free.

Here's hoping they will keep the service contract for more than a few years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I buy my SV filters from wal mart holy, poo poo what you went through sounds like a nightmare. Also why would Harley have MV filters? Or is it just a random part crossover?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Because they owned them for a while?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I mean the bigger question here is why MV requires a brand-specific oil filter in the first place, instead of using one of the generic ones that would work 99% as well and costs eight bucks at AutoZone

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I mean the bigger question here is why MV requires a brand-specific oil filter in the first place, instead of using one of the generic ones that would work 99% as well and costs eight bucks at AutoZone

It's not just ~wacky Italians~; Suzuki is a special fuckin' snowflake that uses an essentially proprietary threading on their oil filters for a size nobody really carries outside of shops that sell Suzuki parts.

Of course someone makes a $15 adapter for Suzukis that replaces the threaded nipple with the most common size that Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/everyone else uses so you can use the same $5 Autozone filters as everyone else.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Thankfully my vstrom seems to have a normal thread. I was able to buy a few k&n filters on Amazon for like $3.5 each.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's not just ~wacky Italians~; Suzuki is a special fuckin' snowflake that uses an essentially proprietary threading on their oil filters for a size nobody really carries outside of shops that sell Suzuki parts.

Of course someone makes a $15 adapter for Suzukis that replaces the threaded nipple with the most common size that Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/everyone else uses so you can use the same $5 Autozone filters as everyone else.

The only Suzuki I've owned is my SV, but Advance Auto parts stocked the appropriate K&N filter. That being said, it was a few bucks cheaper to order it from Amazon.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Thankfully my vstrom seems to have a normal thread. I was able to buy a few k&n filters on Amazon for like $3.5 each.

Nope. The adapter I mentioned was originally made for the DL650, it just happens to fit a lot of other Suzukis (like my SV650, seeing as it shares the engine with your Vstrom, assuming yours is a weestrom and not a DL1000).
It is possible that they finally came 'round and ditched the 20x1mm threading on the newer gen 'stroms, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MetaJew posted:

The only Suzuki I've owned is my SV, but Advance Auto parts stocked the appropriate K&N filter. That being said, it was a few bucks cheaper to order it from Amazon.

Neither Advance, Autozone, Napa, or O'Reillys, or Walmart around here stock filters for my SV. My options are driving across town to the 'Zuki dealer for a $12 OEM filter or about $8-9 each from on Amazon for a generic Fram-quality K&N filter*
which compares poorly to the ~$6 I pay for a higher quality Bosch or Purolator Pure-One filter from Napa up the street, so long run it's still cheaper in the long run switching to a more standardized filter.

This site has a good analysis of the entire array of garbage filters that fit Suzuki threads:
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
(even the OEM Suzuki filters are mediocre)

*K&N filters are Chinese-grade Hi-Flo brand filters with a K&N logo on the box and a useless rounded off nut welded on top. Don't waste money on K&N garbage please, they are the Bose of engine filters.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah I know they burn a hole in your wallet and they give you sleepless nights... Still no way I'll ever part with mine again.

Once I go through three sprag clutches, I am lemon law-ing mine. It's a fun bike to ride, but I don't want to deal with this... That said there are 2(two!) MV dealers in SF Bay Area, so finding parts hasn't been a problem yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nope. The adapter I mentioned was originally made for the DL650, it just happens to fit a lot of other Suzukis (like my SV650, seeing as it shares the engine with your Vstrom, assuming yours is a weestrom and not a DL1000).
It is possible that they finally came 'round and ditched the 20x1mm threading on the newer gen 'stroms, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Neither Advance, Autozone, Napa, or O'Reillys, or Walmart around here stock filters for my SV. My options are driving across town to the 'Zuki dealer for a $12 OEM filter or about $8-9 each from on Amazon for a generic Fram-quality K&N filter*
which compares poorly to the ~$6 I pay for a higher quality Bosch or Purolator Pure-One filter from Napa up the street, so long run it's still cheaper in the long run switching to a more standardized filter.

This site has a good analysis of the entire array of garbage filters that fit Suzuki threads:
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
(even the OEM Suzuki filters are mediocre)

*K&N filters are Chinese-grade Hi-Flo brand filters with a K&N logo on the box and a useless rounded off nut welded on top. Don't waste money on K&N garbage please, they are the Bose of engine filters.

I buy cheap wix filters for my SV at my local Oreilly. Wal mart used to have them but apparently doesn't anymore. SV's and by extension, vstroms have commonly available automotive filters everywhere. Not sure where you're getting your info.

My Bandit also had an automotive filter. It crossed with a ton of Mazda engines (iirc), so if you were at a place that had a Miata filter, you had your Bandit filter.