Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Can some kind person upload his pictures and post them? I can't see any of them, on the computer or phone. The picture posted has so much wrong it took a minute to notice the control arms, and now I really want to see the rest of this abomination.

Also I loving love it when kastein tears awful hack jobs apart.

These are the only other ones I could get off there.

Apparently that tubing is from a trampoline frame.

The thread is a good read and there's more stuff just no more pictures.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that to make sure you're trapped inside when it catches fire? I've never seen an external roll cage, before...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

-Zydeco- posted:

These are the only other ones I could get off there.

Apparently that tubing is from a trampoline frame.

Just needs some netting and those RPGs will never get through.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:catstare:

That poor XJ. External cages are pretty awesome when done right but that...thing is terrible and being made out of (I assume galvanized) trampoline tubing makes all the worse.

Also I'm pretty sure my loving stock 240 has just as much suspension articulation as his cludged together shitpile, haha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
ummm... holy loving poo poo!!!

I didn't even notice some other things wrong with that picture of the control arms.

The upper arm has the same thing done to it. This one handles all axle housing torsion from brake forces (under compression when braking traveling forward, tension when traveling backward. He's lucky they haven't folded up yet) and as usual, acceleration 4x4.

Also, he did some sort of hinky clusterfuckery on the track bar bracket for no apparent reason it seems. He seems to have dropped it several inches on the frame and booger welded it in place, then used assorted metal stock of unknown provenance to attach the bottom again.

No loving idea why, I'm running 4" of lift above stock with a 100% stock track bar and bracket, have done this for four years now on two cherokees/comanches, and beat the absolute poo poo out of them for 3 of those 4 years without a single problem. I don't think he's much over 3-4" lift, either, he could have left that alone instead of buttfucking it with his welder.

I'm not even going to get started on the "rollcage", it is terrible but far from the worst I've seen.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
My favourite burn from the thread linked:

quote:

You'd have been better off using the tubing from the trampoline to make control arms.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

My favourite burn from the thread linked:

I just spent an unhealthy amount of time reading some of his other threads. So much stupid, so many people trolling him into melting down.

quote:

OHHH, yeah for the road, anyone with welded or locker should be aware of pavement period. neither is good for pavement. I hate pavement. I go off into ditches if I have to to make turns and really wide turns and such in parking lots. people probably think."whats that idiot doing in that big jeep driving like that" lol, im sure they have to since we all look silly when doing those "WIDE" parking turns at the grocery store....and then cops think we're drunk or something so its fun cause it messes with everybody.
          /
88jeepster, from a thread featuring another of his horrible mechanical failures.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

Is that to make sure you're trapped inside when it catches fire? I've never seen an external roll cage, before...

They are called exos. Pretty popular offroad... obviously they don't normally look like that.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

quote:

no rubbing at all... ...thats for all those cherokee fanatics like me wondering if it can be done.

Well yeah, you're probably not gonna rub when you hack your arches off with a sawzall.

Best advice in that thread:

quote:

could you do us all a favor and weld the end of your penis up? thanks.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 23, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

They are called exos. Pretty popular offroad... obviously they don't normally look like that.

For some reason people pull accessories of Nivas when they buy them so I've had some hope for a long time that someone has an exocage sitting around gathering dust. They are pretty badass and useful, but kind of heavy. Tradeoff I guess.

e: Holy poo poo I just saw that 88jeepster thread. Still working my way through it. Weird thing is he seems semi intelligent but horribly misinformed, or something.

e again: Delusional, maybe on the wrong meds and unable to listen to people too.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 23, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

kastein posted:

Always, always, always buy FTDI based usb/serial adapters, gently caress the pl2303 based ones. loving horrible drivers for them.

When we were switching brands we found out that one brand's converters would bluescreen if you had two adaptors installed.s

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of aircraft systems (1553) utilize basically the same thing.

I spent a few years working contract airline maintenance for IFE which combines the IT/Car Tech woes.

[rant]
You'd think a fancy commercial airplane would be nice and clean to work on. The thing is, though, that a major component of the IFE system that makes a seat row function was often installed underneath the seats. These units had to be messed with frequently and they and the surrounding area was covered in 1000s of passengers' drinks/candy/crumbs/hair/etc making it seriously gross.

Here's a row I got to work on one day:

The cleaners weren't anywhere near and this job needed to be done asap.

Another gem was an airline installing those boxes under the single aisle floorboards. To address a unit issue it involved first removing the carpet for multiple rows which would then have to be re-taped down. Then there were tons of the Torq-set screws which stripped as soon as you looked at them. So a few would have to be drilled out. Once the 7 ft floor board was out you then had to lay on a seat to reach down and dismantle the 2 billion zip ties for all the wiring and fans just to disconnect one cannon plug to see if it was the right box for the row because the LOPAs were too ambiguous. This was all done in a cabin with mostly black interior and purple lights that let you barely see your hands require an array of flashlights. We all loved the day when a new unit mod came out requiring as many box changes as possible if your over night airplane had 4 hours or more down time...

Then there were the issues that required a reboot for each step of the troubleshooting process. A full reboot to the point of each seat responding sometimes took 25 minutes or more. Some systems were hybrid Linux and Windows. Certain airlines kept their IFE system from 20 years ago and as advancements were required they just added converters upon converters. So then you had a Windows 95 back end with a Linux front end and mix of token ring, coax, ethernet, etc trying to work together.

Monthly media updates (new movies, songs, shows, menu items) often took hours and hours just to upload. Then after nearing completion it would fail validation and the only thing to do next was another full reload. Then while the morning flight crews are preparing the cabin and first class passengers start boarding you're trying to finalize and check that it indeed loaded this time before the 10 hour flight departs with the fore mentioned people asking you every second "will it work?" "will it work?", "will it work?". At least a few times of the year the update media itself would be corrupted which was discovered after multiple failed load attempts and you got to repeat the process the next night with hopefully corrected media.

There's also the times where an aircraft component you're not responsible for fails and thus leads to your whole system being cooked to death. While troubleshooting why your servers aren't responding after an update (thinking you're dealing with the dreaded corruption) you finally realize when replacing the units themselves that they're too hot to touch and the cooling fans had been off during the hours you've just spent updating the system and then T/S why it wasn't responding in the Southern California Summer day Sunshine. The face on the airline representative who'd been upset at us the whole time was priceless when it turned out to be a problem on his end.

Lastly, my most memorable fix came after spending a few hours trying to figure out why multiple rows weren't working. The issue was intermittent and after changing many components under seats, in over head compartments, and wiring checks I was finally shocked by the problem. Literally. I put my hand on the seat frame for support while pushing on some locks and was shocked by the frame. Turns out a portion of the wire I couldn't easily see while lying and my back under the rows looking up at connections was pinched. You can see in the pic what it lead to:

When shorted it would make everything go out, but depending on the seat position and other stuff it would be fine. That was a seriously frustrating night and I ended up off for a few days after tweaking my back badly during that whole process.

So, between wire shorts, hardware failures, software corruption, multiple program languages and connections, the continuously dealing with anxious crews/passengers, with often barely enough time to boot up the system let alone t/s and change components in the down to the minute airline environment while fighting for space between the cleaners, caterers, airline mechanics, flight crews, passengers, and the endless paper trails required for any job done, it got to be a stressful job.

[/rant]

The pay was pretty good for a fresh out of school mechanic, though. And it was mostly indoors.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That is one of those jobs that you think "holy poo poo this job is gonna be so cool" and it's only once you get a few months in that you start slowly realizing what you've signed yourself up for (chasing random faults around on a tight schedule while working for people who give no shits, just FIX IT NOW!!)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

AzureSkys posted:

horrible IFE woes

Let me guess, that is all DO-178B Level E equipment/software, so no one gives a gently caress at all how terrible it is and nothing is verified and everything is broken constantly? :angel:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
[quote="AzureSkys" post="422346011"]This was all done in a cabin with mostly black interior and purple lights that let you barely see your hands require an array of flashlights.

I'd have figured they used tri-color LEDs for those, but it's been a while since I've flown that airline.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Being an interior mechanic is basically either for guys fresh out of school, or a punishment for sleeping with the station managers wife.

I am forever glad I worked for a cargo airline.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

:suicide:

At least they used a fuse.....

except its holding the throttle cable to the arm.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 25, 2013

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Remember what people used to use pop tops off their beers to replace fuses and usually melt their fuse blocks? I think a pop top from a Bud light comes in at 200 amps or so.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

cursedshitbox posted:

:suicide:

At least they used a fuse.....

except its holding the throttle cable to the arm.

If I'm looking at this right, someone tapped the ECU wiring for power??

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Farking Bastage posted:

Remember what people used to use pop tops off their beers to replace fuses and usually melt their fuse blocks? I think a pop top from a Bud light comes in at 200 amps or so.

Here you go, I found this guide handy when working on my Mini:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
90s benzes had biodegradable harnesses that died too early.
Seeing as how they're 600-1500 some people go the cheap route and do what was done above.
I don't know how the car ran though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

cursedshitbox posted:

90s benzes had biodegradable harnesses that died too early.
Seeing as how they're 600-1500 some people go the cheap route and do what was done above.
I don't know how the car ran though.

Those little ceramic fuses were awful to deal with, and that fuse box was a major reason I got rid of the 2.3-16.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
More pictures from that 88jeepster guy:

These are from a cherokee he "built" a while back and later sold.

I don't know anything about welding, but I'm pretty sure that's not very good. He later claimed that jeep was built for show and not for driving or wheeling.

This guy lives about two hours from me. If I ever see that green xj on the road I'm staying way the hell away from him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There...there are no words...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:barf: :wtf:

That man's a menace to public safety and shouldn't be allowed within 50 yards of a welder or really any tool that doesn't say PlaySkool on the side.

E; Is that bracket(?) made out of metal or a dish sponge?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My reaction to the very first picture: "No loving way!" :aaaaa:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

More pictures from that 88jeepster guy:

These are from a cherokee he "built" a while back and later sold.

I don't know anything about welding, but I'm pretty sure that's not very good. He later claimed that jeep was built for show and not for driving or wheeling.

This guy lives about two hours from me. If I ever see that green xj on the road I'm staying way the hell away from him.

:stare: And people BOUGHT these from him? gently caress!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Redneck ingenuity. :science:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I don't know what's worse, the fact that there's people that think this is good work or the fact that there are people even dumber than that who look at and go "YEARP, LOOKS GOOD TO ME! GIVE 'IM THE MONEY JIMBO I WANNA GO WHEELIN'"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
To clarify, this wasn't a customer job- he doesn't do this for a living (at least, I pray he doesn't). He did this to his own jeep which he later sold. He feels no regret or guilt about selling it in this state, however. In fact he's proud of it.

God knows how many accidents this guy and his "engineering" have caused. He's been destroying jeeps for over a decade and isn't going to stop until it catches up with him.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
How do you weld that bad? Is he using the wrong equipment for what he's doing or not prepping it or what? I haven't welded much, but using a mig welder is almost like using a glue gun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you see him on the road please run him the gently caress off of it. You know he doesn't have the money for a dashcam and that hackjob pile of poo poo won't survive impact.

It looks like he used ungraded carriage bolts and assorted scrapmetal to try and space the trackbar mount down, that is even worse than I thought. Holy hell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thylacine posted:

How do you weld that bad? Is he using the wrong equipment for what he's doing or not prepping it or what? I haven't welded much, but using a mig welder is almost like using a glue gun.

That appears to be too much material for a MIG failure. This was undoubtedly a harbor freight buzzbox, using harbor freight rods.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

That appears to be too much material for a MIG failure. This was undoubtedly a harbor freight buzzbox, using harbor freight rods.

Not so fast, he's such an agressively ignorant, unskilled chucklefuck he could probably manage to make TIG welds with a $20k machine look like that. And be proud of it, too.

That kind of obstinate, ignorant redneckery is why we have to deal with vehicle safety inspections :argh:

Edit: that jeep is basically cargo cult automotive fabrication. No idea what he is doing or why, but it's supposed to look about like this so gimme dat welder and them thar bits o rebar and steel toob, jethro! :banjo:

He probably watched too much Red Green as a child and no one told him it was a joke.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 26, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've seen (and been a part of) some god-awful welds of the "gently caress it, it only needs to hold long enough to hold the disc blades up to load onto the trailer to take back to the workshop" variety. Even those welds made in the field with a temperamental gasoline-powered stick welder tended to look better than that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Even Red Green would be ashamed of this man's handiwork.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Think the timing might be off?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have to say it is a bad rear end picture though.

Either the timing's off, or there is a half inch wide gap burned in the HG between two opposed-firing bores... guess how I learned that could shoot fire like that too? :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah bro it's those super sweet Bosch Performance blue ignition leads making it run mean. What kind of car is that? The intake is different to the commodores with that engine that I'm used to seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kastein posted:

I have to say it is a bad rear end picture though.

Either the timing's off, or there is a half inch wide gap burned in the HG between two opposed-firing bores... guess how I learned that could shoot fire like that too? :haw:

I want to see a picture of that.