Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

Do the games even use the modern settings anymore?

Syndicate only had a few short cutscenes of live drone footage of your team doing stuff. There were no playable segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But why in the ever-loving gently caress would this simulation need actual hidden blades / bow and arrows or any other actual weapons.

They're from the past and contain the life-force magic of his ancestor, aiding in a high techno-sorcery connection quality.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lobok posted:

Syndicate only had a few short cutscenes of live drone footage of your team doing stuff. There were no playable segments.

Lol.

I am probably one of the few people who liked Desmond's ending.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Mentioned this in the games forum not too long ago, but in Syndicate you meet with Benjamin Disraeli and his wife. Mrs. Disraeli carries around a little dog named Desmond in a handbag. You actually have to rescue the dog at one point during a silly late-game mission.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But why in the ever-loving gently caress would this simulation need actual hidden blades / bow and arrows or any other actual weapons

Maybe there's going to be a scene where he's killing someone in the genetic memories but actually kills someone in the real world at the same time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cvnvcnv posted:

They're from the past and contain the life-force magic of his ancestor, aiding in a high techno-sorcery connection quality.

Ancient relics helping with latency would be neat. I wonder if there's going to be a sequence where he gets hit by a lag spike and poo poo gets weird in-memory.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ancient relics helping with latency would be neat. I wonder if there's going to be a sequence where he gets hit by a lag spike and poo poo gets weird in-memory.

The Assassins drop him from the team because of his high ping.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It looks like the same kind of trash as the Resident Evil movies and I mean that in a complimentary way. I definitely don't care at all that it takes huge liberties with the game's world. It will almost certainly be "bad" but I'm hoping for the good kind of bad here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dear People Who Played The Assassin's Creed Game:

You are not the target audience of this trailer. You are already going to go and see this movie, silly. This dumb trailer is for people who aren't you. This dumb trailer is getting positive reception right now among those people.

I can't believe it either. (Our international, superior trailer was killed at the last minute btw).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Actually, I'm not gonna see Assassin's Creed, thank you very much. And I own half a dozen of those drat games.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I played and me neither but they do testing on these things and the testing results are what I'm referring to.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I never played Assassin's Creed games, I thought they all took place in the 1200-1600s. Sounds like there's a frame narrative where that's the Matrix and your guy is actually a modern guy? That seems so strange compared to the marketing I've seen for like 8 games now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electromax posted:

I never played Assassin's Creed games, I thought they all took place in the 1200-1600s. Sounds like there's a frame narrative where that's the Matrix and your guy is actually a modern guy? That seems so strange compared to the marketing I've seen for like 8 games now.

The short summary of it is that your DNA basically retains the memories of your ancestors so this company which is run by the templars tracks down people with ties to important figures in the past and use the animus to see/relive those memories in order to find ancient relics of great power which are actually from aliens.

My best memory of it is that the end of AC2 I think you have a fist fight the pope under the Vatican (?) which is actually an alien spaceship or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

They realized pretty early on that the main draw of the game was the historical settings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My best memory of it is that the end of AC2 I think you have a fist fight the pope under the Vatican (?) which is actually an alien spaceship or something.

Very close. You fist-fight the pope in the Vatican, and his papal staff is a deadly alien mind-control weapon that also functions as a key to open the alien communication room in the basement. Once the character from the 1600s enter, the aliens (who can predict the future, I guess) give him a message that only the guy reliving the memories in the 2000s can understand (they even address the future guy who is remote-viewing the memories by name).

It does lead to a nice moment in a later game where the 1600s guy gives up being an assassin and starts talking to thin air, saying "hey I thought about what that alien lady said and I know someone from the future is observing all this, I hope my life helps you/has meaning to somebody".

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 18, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The frame story largely exists to make the immersion-breaking mechanics (locked-off zones, strict mission requirements, etc.) part of the fiction by presenting them as being imposed by the in-world simulation of the past. This is completely unnecessary, generally more disruptive than just flatly enforcing them the way GTA would, and not used in an interesting way, so just imagine how good it'll be in a movie where there isn't even the excuse of working around the limitations of game mechanics.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Once the character from the 1600s enter, the aliens (who can predict the future, I guess) give him a message that only the guy reliving the memories in the 2000s can understand (they even address the future guy who is remote-viewing the memories by name).

It does lead to a nice moment in a later game where the 1600s guy gives up being an assassin and starts talking to thin air, saying "hey I thought about what that alien lady said and I know someone from the future is observing all this, I hope my life helps you/has meaning to somebody".

Okay, yeah, actually, that was cute.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I disagree about the artificiality being unnecessary - I like diagetic stuff like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

The frame story largely exists to make the immersion-breaking mechanics (locked-off zones, strict mission requirements, etc.) part of the fiction by presenting them as being imposed by the in-world simulation of the past. This is completely unnecessary, generally more disruptive than just flatly enforcing them the way GTA would, and not used in an interesting way, so just imagine how good it'll be in a movie where there isn't even the excuse of working around the limitations of game mechanics.

The idea of the animus basically takes the "whoa I know kung fu" appeal of the Matrix's instant skill endowments and crosses it with an Ancestry.com/cliche Chosen One appeal of any one of us schlubs potentially being part of some important, bad-rear end bloodline that we didn't know about.

The videogames mostly squandered it but the basic premise has a pretty sound Everyman fantasy foundation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I kept hoping you'd get to do some dope rear end assassin work in the future setting, but once Desmond died I realized that wasn't coming and quit playing the games.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I disagree about the artificiality being unnecessary - I like diagetic stuff like that.

I mean unnecessary in a literal sense, in that there's many fantastic games that work just fine without it. You can still get into whether it serves what Assassin's Creed is doing, of course. And as far as that goes, I think it ends up hurting (e.g., the lame jokes about game development in the one with the boat) more than helping. In particular, while they do some interesting stuff with the historical-memory angle (people in the past talking to the person viewing the memory), they don't really do any storytelling based on the diegetic limits in even the way that, say, Bioshock does (which isn't particularly great shakes in that regard either, considering the ways it drops the ball on the whole compulsion angle).

Lobok posted:

The idea of the animus basically takes the "whoa I know kung fu" appeal of the Matrix's instant skill endowments and crosses it with an Ancestry.com/cliche Chosen One appeal of any one of us schlubs potentially being part of some important, bad-rear end bloodline that we didn't know about.

The videogames mostly squandered it but the basic premise has a pretty sound Everyman fantasy foundation.

I would have been completely onboard with this if it had gone down a road of having the second half of the game, or the sequel, or whatever be modern day/near future action where the historical training explains why the guy just loves using blades and such.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Precisely: they could have had short, directed, neat modern-day thriller type of gameplay and an open-world power fantasy with a diagetic explanation for its limitations. But they never went anywhere with it.

Assassin's Creed is basically blockbuster AAA gaming: technically impressive stuff that absolutely fails to do anything with it beyond the most conservative hand-holding power fantasy crap

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game and I don't plan on the seeing the movie. At least not in theaters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I would have been completely onboard with this if it had gone down a road of having the second half of the game, or the sequel, or whatever be modern day/near future action where the historical training explains why the guy just loves using blades and such.

I really don't get what happened. Everyone expected the series to culminate in a modern-day AC but either they were always intending to string people along or they couldn't conceive of a modern-day setting that wasn't parkour friendly and a hero that wouldn't use guns all the time. But AC:Syndicate worked really well with 19th century London so... I dunno. Adding an extra 200 years to that game would not have necessitated drastic gameplay changes to make it work.

Edit: Though on second thought a modern-day AC would have been directly competing with the Arkham series even more than it already does so maybe it's just best they stayed in their lane.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

I kept hoping you'd get to do some dope rear end assassin work in the future setting, but once Desmond died I realized that wasn't coming and quit playing the games.

You should've played the pirate one at least, it's fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

You should've played the pirate one at least, it's fun.

I played the one where you were a Native American and that had some of the navy stuff which was fun. Does it expand on it in a good way or just more of the same?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

I played the one where you were a Native American and that had some of the navy stuff which was fun. Does it expand on it in a good way or just more of the same?

Not really, they just bring it out to the open world and add an upgrade treadmill.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Not really, they just bring it out to the open world and add an upgrade treadmill.

blech

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Considering how dumb as gently caress the story for these games are I have some sympathy for the people trying to adapt It

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Assassin's Creed 4 was actually a remake of Sid Meier's Pirates. Not even really joking here, it contains practically everything Pirates did minus the dancing stuff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I rly disliked that the boarding sequences were divided by menus & loading screens. That stuff should have all flowed together without pause.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hat Thoughts posted:

I rly disliked that the boarding sequences were divided by menus & loading screens. That stuff should have all flowed together without pause.

They weren't though...were they? I honestly don't remember, but at least SOME of the time there wasn't a loading screen....right?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Kiimo is there is a better trailer that got nixed, does that give any hope for the movie? It looks well shot and has an amazing cast... I want it to be watchable!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They weren't though...were they? I honestly don't remember, but at least SOME of the time there wasn't a loading screen....right?

I don't recall any loading screens but there was a cutscene, haul summary display, and a menu decision for you to make regarding the boarded ship's fate that really slowed down and interrupted things when you wanted to board a ship but still had more to fight or board in the battle. Very tedious and made boarding a bit of a chore when that should be the ultimate high in a pirate game.

Edit: When I said "haul" I of course should have said BOOTY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kiimo mentioned that the trailer was actually getting good feedback among the general masses and it does seem like it. I feel like watching it now with no real personal connection or fondness for the games, it does look pretty decent. I mean it doesn't look like a "great" film but it looks like the sort of stylish action movie which is the best you can expect when porting over an inferior medium (sorry to Ebert it up but let's be honest here, give video games another forty years maybe). I certainly don't think it looks bad. Considering the reactions here I was expecting straight incompetence.
As video game movies go it looks pretty decent. We can't all be the greatest video game movie Hardcore Henry (which was maybe so perfect because rather than adapt a specific game it just tried to be the most video gamey movie ever).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 18, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean it doesn't look like a "great" film but it looks like the sort of stylish action movie which is the best you can expect when porting over an inferior medium (sorry to Ebert it up but let's be honest here, give video games another forty years maybe).

You could give video games 4000 years and they'll never be able to match a movie for constructed narrative. Or rather, they shouldn't (the more you construct your narrative the less game you end up with)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 18, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

You could give video games 4000 years and they'll never be able to match a movie for constructed narrative. Or rather, they shouldn't.
I just didn't want to be a mean old roger ebert. I've never been much of a gamer but my position has always been "well, film has had so much more of a headstart. Perhaps given a few decades...plus who knows with VR"
But yeah this looks like a decent stylish if not probably dumb action movie, and again considering the source material I dunno what more people expected. Maybe it's just that I and most people don't care about like, the intricacies of the animus or whatever.
It looks pretty and fun and from what I've heard the latest Assassin's Creed games can't always aspire or achieve those two qualities consistently themselves

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Games aren't going to match movies in cinematic storytelling, and the more they try, the worse they tend to be. Sorry, Kojima. :(

That said, there's more to art than cinematic storytelling, and the participatory aspects of gaming are something no other form of art can mimic. The best examples of games as art use the player's actions in some way, and incidentally, this is one thing that can never be ported to a movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If Mario Brothers could do it, then Assassin Creed should be able to as well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Games aren't going to match movies in cinematic storytelling, and the more they try, the worse they tend to be. Sorry, Kojima. :(

That said, there's more to art than cinematic storytelling, and the participatory aspects of gaming are something no other form of art can mimic. The best examples of games as art use the player's actions in some way, and incidentally, this is one thing that can never be ported to a movie.
Oh yeah I didn't mean to say they'll match film at its own qualities necessarily. Just maybe that it'll grow into a more mature and nuanced artful medium given a couple...decades maybe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The contemporary trailer trend (anachronistic music, bold rear end action fonts, boom boom editing, etc) that the AC trailer exemplifies bores the poo poo out of me.

I'd almost rather have 90's "In A World..." trailer narration than this boilerplate poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't play AC games, the movie was only on my radar because of Macbeth. I was really interested to see that director and Fassbender working together again, but then I thought the movie looked awful after the previous trailers and disregarded it.

This trailer made it look cool and fun though, so it's back on my radar. Kinda nice to see fun pulpy scifi action that's actually well shot and crafted after the onslaught of alternately sloppy (Marvel) or dreary (DC) comic movies. Are people mostly just angry about things being changed?

• Locked thread