Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dexo posted:

Yeah Blue box works as like a semi realistic take on it, like people have mostly human realistic reactions to poo poo.

Yeah, it's something I do appreciate about it. There was a scene early on where Taiki took a bath after Chinatsu and there's a moment where he's making a big deal about it in his head before going "no wait, that's weird," and stopping. That's an easy gag most manga would have made a big scene out of and BB didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
As long as Ayashimon stays in the magazine despite it's place in the TOC I'm fine. I think the Hell's Paradise anime will probably help because it's the author's previous work.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kimetsu no Yaiba being such a huge mega-hit is so baffling to me. Don't get me wrong, I think its good, but I feel it lacks anything that makes it really stand out. Only explanation I can think of is that Tanjiro is different from most protagonists in the Shounen Jump magazine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba being such a huge mega-hit is so baffling to me. Don't get me wrong, I think its good, but I feel it lacks anything that makes it really stand out. Only explanation I can think of is that Tanjiro is different from most protagonists in the Shounen Jump magazine.

Wasn't it the anime that boosted it into mega-hit status?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wasn't it the anime that boosted it into mega-hit status?

Yeah, but other manga get an anime and don't turn into mega-hits.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New issue is out, including the first chapter of Sugoi Smartphone (translated as Super Smartphone).

I believe in saving the best for last, so let's start with Earthchild.

OK, that was about what I expected. Not awful, but a bit saccharine, with a twist at the end that, if not exactly bad in itself, reinforces the sense that the author is just making things up chapter-by-chapter instead of having an actual plan.

Next up, Blue Box. Some mildly amusing character interactions, and something actually happens on the last page of this one.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Witch Watch is great, like always.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it really excelled at its emotional moments in a way no other manga in the magazine other than One Piece manages to do, and did so pretty consistently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ayashimon is 100% axed. Rematch with the big bad.

Dororon is just chugging along sort of?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Super Smartphone seems promising. They firmly establish the limits of the phone, what we can expect week to week, and the longterm goals. I'll keep reading and see if it holds my attention.

This week's Ayashimon is a high water point of wackiness, I love it. Also you're a fool if you really think that's the big bad. We're in a hotel filled with Tanuki and Kitsune, masters of disguise.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I think Doppo there is a fake-out. More tanuki and/or fox based trickery. Possibly sack related.

The stealth brawl was pretty fun to read.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anyway I will genuinely be baffled if Ayashimon gets axed. I feel like it's done pretty much everything right that a new manga can do in terms of early structure; it has fun characters, some great gags, good fights, and I find the syndicate interesting. Just very much a "what the gently caress" for me if it's doing so poorly it gets cancelled.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Just a thought, but with Dr. Stone ending and Ayakashi Triangle going to Jump+ they might not be canceling anything this go around.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

it had a solid 2 years as the main (only?) yokai battle series in the lineup, on top of its unique period setting and art style. plus the cast is full of dubiously lovable weirdos aside from Tanjiro. him bringing that sympathetic angle to the demons that clashes against the other humans does at least create an interesting dynamic even if it's underused (typical, tbh).

and to build off Snapple, yeah the climaxes for some villains basically elevated them above many of the human characters in how affecting/interesting they were lol.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 8, 2022

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I imagine that shueisha will wait to see the first volume sales before axing any of the new series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Ayashimon is 100% axed. Rematch with the big bad.

they’re fighting shapeshifters. that’s not actually him

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Super Smartphone seems to be an anti-Death Note, but I don't have high hopes for it lasting

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want Earthchild dead, it's not even funny or interesting anymore

in terms of stuff that might actually end though, it's interesting with the news that Mash is entering it's final arc, Yozakura seems to be doing so as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think Earthchild needs to die sooner rather than later.
Ideally before Dodoron and absolutely before Ayashimon

They also need to dropkick Taguchi into the sun but I'll bet good money that's only going to happen when he inevitably pisses off the 'nice men' he absolutely has backing him right now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Earthchild: Well, that sure was a waste of time. Who needed that sense of urgency anyway? One thing I noticed is that Albert's role these past few chapters has been to tell the readers how much the MC loves his wife. Earthchild just flew past the romantic set-up in the first chapter so it's not like you can feel the attachment between the two.

Super Smartphone: Whoever said this was like an Anti-Death Note was right. It's got a solid set-up and there's something off about the phone so you also have a thing to hook you in. And maybe it's because of the Death Note comparison, but I feel like the art for Super Smartphone needs to be more dynamic to give you a sense of intensity.

Doron Dororon: Another fun chapter. The author does a great job nailing character dynamics to make you invested in them. Here's hoping the human villain they're introducing is memorable, because that's the main thing this series has been lacking.

High School Family: Please let this be the start of the Haruka arc. I wanna know more about the Shogi underworld. :allears:

Akana-Banashi: Between this and Show-Ha Shoten, I'm glad there are authors confronting the idea of just blindly cheering someone's dreams on. You're not wholly responsible for a kid's life choices, but you can still check out how they're doing and whether they're cut out for the field they want to get into.

Also, it's already setting up a way for Akane to confront Issho, which is great pacing. I'm interested to know whether the guy truly is evil or not. The information we got in this chapter presents him as a cold and ruthless bastard who used the outrage over his actions to fuel his fame, but we still haven't seen what he's like in-person so this could still be a fakeout.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think Earthchild needs to die sooner rather than later.
Ideally before Dodoron and absolutely before Ayashimon

They also need to dropkick Taguchi into the sun but I'll bet good money that's only going to happen when he inevitably pisses off the 'nice men' he absolutely has backing him right now.

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it had a solid 2 years as the main (only?) yokai battle series in the lineup, on top of its unique period setting and art style. plus the cast is full of dubiously lovable weirdos aside from Tanjiro. him bringing that sympathetic angle to the demons that clashes against the other humans does at least create an interesting dynamic even if it's underused (typical, tbh).

and to build off Snapple, yeah the climaxes for some villains basically elevated them above many of the human characters in how affecting/interesting they were lol.

Nezuko was criminally underused in it, IMO

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RareAcumen posted:

Nezuko was criminally underused in it, IMO

Absolutely, everyone agrees.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

I imagine that shueisha will wait to see the first volume sales before axing any of the new series.

Which is a weird thing about Ayashimon, since the first volume sold out. Twice. It's not Blue Box, let alone Kaiju 8, but it's a solid hit in a magazine that needs them... And it might still get canned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Topical!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO some other element (most often comedy) is necessary for a romance based in high school. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any "pure romance" manga based in HS that I've enjoyed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm interested to see if afo is interested in bodyjacking Shigaraki or if it's just him protecting his investment.

He directly intervenes in the Jaku fight because Shigaraki was straight up going to fight to the death and it wasn't looking good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Good chapter, really lookin' forward to seeing what the old dude's deal with, given that so far, we've never really had any ill-tempered or 'bad' people in the manga, and the old dude's the closest thing we have to an antagonist/villain. It's also unclear if the mass expulsion was just a way to generate even more attention, or if he really does have his own vision that he's enacting (the fact that he's raising a new generation of rakugogas seems to imply that he does). It's also interesting to see the image of the old dude's rakugo style, literally blowing away all criticism and hate and turning it into awe, seemingly subduing the audience with sheer charisma and force. I'm very excited to see how this goes!

Ayashimon: The sneaky fighting was hella dope. Also yeah it's definitely not Doppo, they're in a hotel full of shapeshiters.

Elusive Samurai: Calm before the storm. I also like how it's stated that the Kokushi is a dude who had the misfortune to be born in wartime, where his vision and drive are hindered by his incompetence in warfare, which leads to his moral collapse and tyranny (like the murder and taxing of innocent villagers).

Mashle: Eh.

Roboco: Fun chapter.

Sakamoto Days: Hell yeah my boy Shin is doing it! Also, dang, Gaku is a fuckin' beast.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i read dandadan today. it's good!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Doron Dororon: Is Ginchiyo getting replaced?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like her. she's unconventional, nice and competent.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm interested in Super Smartphone so far, I like a good crime solvin manga and this seems to have an interesting enough gimmick.

Fun fact about the "Googugu" name that doesn't really translate well. Every verb in Japanese ends with a "_u" syllable - "taberu" is "to eat", "nomu" is "to drink", etc. "Google" in Japanese is pronounced "Guguru" due to Ls and Rs, and is actually used like a verb in the same way we day "I googled that". The past tense of "taberu" is "tabeta", and the past tense of "guguru" is "gugutta"

So "Googugu" is likely spelled "Gugugu" and is much similar to Japanese's "Guguru" (being only a single letter off) compared to "Googugu" being fairly differently from "Google"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: I hope it's not going to be 1 day per chapter. Because as entertaining as it has been, that's going to drag.
Speaking of, this chapter was pretty funny to me.

Shugomaru: I'm getting tired of the punchline to everything being Yugioh

Doron:

Hypocrisy posted:

Doron Dororon: Is Ginchiyo getting replaced?

They'd better not!
But yeah, I agree with amigolupus, Doron has been really great with its characters.

Ayashimon: Clearly this isn't freeze guy. They're up against shapeshifters, they make it clear the waiter guy is dangerous and full of tricks and suddenly we see this guy? I do look forward to seeing Maruo try out his new powers.
Chapter was super fun and creative otherwise. Really cool to see both teams trying to make sure the humans wouldn't find out.

Sakamoto: Shin going full power :woop: Also ears dude is cool.

Undead Unluck: gently caress yeah Rip! Also drat at that backstory.
This fight is weird though. Oh, he just stabbed himself to be too dumb to understand my rules? :psyduck: Still cool to see LAtla work like this.
And how the heck is this supposed to work? Unrepair kills Undead and points go :confused: Or does he have to actually give them?

Earthchild: This chapter was quite boring. The problem is that it basically followed everything exactly the way we expected it to. Including the way the astronaut lady responds to everything and is utterly ignored by everyone.
It was exactly as expected, up until the end when they suddenly decide to fly back down to Earth having accomplished nothing. :psyduck:
Also Albert's plan partially hinges on him holding Reisuke from a distance....except after his introduction he made it clear his powers drop exponentially the farther away he is. To the point he couldn't lift a ladybug across the room. How the hell is this going to work?
Also you know guys, this detour could've been avoided if Albert actually shared his plan from the start instead of just being like:
:anime: "Okay, I have a dumb plan which has 2 parts."
:aaa: "Okay, what is it?"
:anime: "First we fly up with the baby strapped to me."
[they fly to space]
:anime: "Now for part 2. We need to train the baby to recognize rock mommy so he can attack her. Except she doesn't look remotely like mommy now and we're in space so we can't actually train him."
:aaa: "Let's go visit grandma and grandpa!"
:dumbbravo:
Everyone in and involved with this manga is an incompetent boob.

Witch Watch was dumb magic shenanigans, which are the best chapters.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i read dandadan today. it's good!

It's an interesting read. I'm not sure how good I really think it is, but it looks good, flows well and everyone is awesome. I just find it a little too chaotic sometimes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Earthchild feels like it's being written like a webcomic, just makin poo poo up as it goes with zero planning at all

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Earthchild feels like it's being written like a webcomic, just makin poo poo up as it goes with zero planning at all

There's also some Mookie-style of writing where it feels as if the author is using the latest chapter to respond to criticisms people have made. Like everything Waste has done has been turbo-evil, so the next chapter had this segment where the director was totally worried about Kareri all along. Or people thinking the MC sucks and they don't buy his romance, so Albert's been spending the past couple chapters going on about how special the MC is and how cool he is to love his wife so much.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

amigolupus posted:

There's also some Mookie-style of writing where it feels as if the author is using the latest chapter to respond to criticisms people have made. Like everything Waste has done has been turbo-evil, so the next chapter had this segment where the director was totally worried about Kareri all along. Or people thinking the MC sucks and they don't buy his romance, so Albert's been spending the past couple chapters going on about how special the MC is and how cool he is to love his wife so much.
Everytime I finally forget about Dominic Deegan y'all just keep reminding me it exists. :argh:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Earthchild reads like someone wrote a big list of brainstorming ideas and just started drawing each one without figuring out how they slotted together. Sad Dad needs to go to space to have the storybeat that he can recognize his wife and establish his son doesn't. So now we can move onto the next storybeat where they teach the son to recognize his mother which will probably be resolved in one chapter to move onto the next storybeat. Characters have their emotional backstories dropped within a chapter or two of their first appearance to tick off the box of explaining who they are to the audience and telling them they should care about them, rather than giving them anything to do to connect with the reader.

It reads like a wikipedia summary of a story rather than the story itself.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but other manga get an anime and don't turn into mega-hits.

Other anime don't get adaptions of such sheer quality though which I think definetly helped. Otherwise, I definitely agreed. It was one of those manga where I thought it was an incredibly good fun read that I'd remember, but nothing particularly outstanding or legitimately amazing that I'd revisit any time soon unlike several others(I still read parts of TPN, Senryu Shoujo, Helck, OP, etc.,) and others I don't necessarily revisit is due to sheer length.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Super Smartphone is interesting. The points system seems vaguely sinister. I like the increasing move away from cookie-cutter dumb/shouty/fight-loving protagonists in Jump; Doron Doron is the only recently-started series that plays that kind of character straight, IIRC.

Ayashimon and Elusive Samurai this week were mostly set-up, but were fine for what they were.

Witch Watch was amusing while I was reading it, but now that I think about it, wasn't it almost all slight variations on scenarios/gags Witch Watch has done previously?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I read Earthchild's first chapter and it was surprising in that it felt like a somewhat competent (mind you, with all the posts here, the bar was set very low) but far from fantastic one-shot that somehow... is the start of a manga? Excited to see how much worse the writing gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
EarthChild: It only just hit me how incredibly mean these chapters are to Maromi. (the astronaut)
Last chapter we learned that she overcame a bunch of hardships, worked her rear end off and has pride in being a woman in space and a hero to the others on Earth. All while being a little pissed off at the Earth children and their shortcuts.
But then in the last chapter some random schmuck literally floats up into space by strapping a baby to another guy, spends a bunch of time barfing and talking passed her at other people.
Then in this chapter he spends his time talking to himself (actually Kareri, but she doesn't know that because no one bothered to even tell her an Earthchild, a literal baby and a schmuck were coming) while staring out of the window at something only he can see and then just decides to go back down in the expectation to come back again later. Poor Maromi. :smith:

I spend way too much time thinking of Earthchild, save me.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I read Earthchild's first chapter and it was surprising in that it felt like a somewhat competent (mind you, with all the posts here, the bar was set very low) but far from fantastic one-shot that somehow... is the start of a manga? Excited to see how much worse the writing gets.

Honestly, first chapter was good enough if you ask me. It's a speedrun of a whole backstory which made me interested on what is was going to do further. Timeskip and follow the kid? Follow the dad as he struggles to raise a super powered kid as a single dad. All while the missing mom mystery and shadowy organisation looms in the background?

At least Roboco was pretty fun.

Silver2195 posted:

Witch Watch was amusing while I was reading it, but now that I think about it, wasn't it almost all slight variations on scenarios/gags Witch Watch has done previously?
Yeah it is. It's why some of us would like to see Witch Watch continue on with its actual story. I mean it's entertaining and all, but it needs to be careful to stay interesting and entertaining.

I should probably read Super Smartphone next.