Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
the Apple lightning audio adapter is good and like $9. Just buy one for every pair of buds instead of locking yourself in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

redeyes posted:

Nope, this is a fail. The er2 is hollow and the cable is the most microphonic piece of poo poo ive ever had the displeasure of using. You may get isolated from outside sounds but not breathing, bumping the cable, walking, etc. It's worthless and unusable.

The attenuation of the ER2 and ER4 series are the same, as they use the same shells and tips. As to microphonics, Etymotics can be worn with the cables wrapped up around the ears like with stage style IEMs which more or less eliminates microphonics.

You buy a lot of random garbage then post brief rambling thoughts about it being amazing or whatever before moving on to the next new shiny, and that’s cool, that’s a legitimate way for people to engage with buying audio gear as a hobby, but you’re posting garbage right now. Your dismissal of the ER2’s sound flies in the face of both overwhelming consensus from disparate ends of the headphones community and the objective measurements of the devices. It is, to be blunt, stupid.

One might even call your post a fail, if one were so inclined to posting like a redditor.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

You buy a lot of random garbage then post brief rambling thoughts about it being amazing or whatever before moving on to the next new shiny, and that’s cool, that’s a legitimate way for people to engage with buying audio gear as a hobby, but you’re posting garbage right now. Your dismissal of the ER2’s sound flies in the face of both overwhelming consensus from disparate ends of the headphones community and the objective measurements of the devices. It is, to be blunt, stupid.

Do I really! Nice hot take bro. Did you notice me saying anything about the actual sound? No you did not.

Yeah they are the same on paper. I owned both and the ER4 has a BA in there and it doesn't resonate like its hollow. Look go ahead and buy the ER2/XR. You will find out yourself. I sold mine because they are unusable while moving around. You are talking poo poo without having owned these.... right?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 5, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Buy a new cable! And on that note, is there a recommended ER2 replacement cable? The one I have came from aliexpress and does not appear to exist there any more

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Clark Nova posted:

Buy a new cable! And on that note, is there a recommended ER2 replacement cable? The one I have came from aliexpress and does not appear to exist there any more

They use a standard 2-pin connector don’t they? Should be pretty easy to find those on Ali if they do.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

njsykora posted:

They use a standard 2-pin connector don’t they? Should be pretty easy to find those on Ali if they do.

it's standard mmcx, but recessed, so not all cables will fit (I think?). Also, the cable comes out at close to a 90 degree angle to the connector. I'm not sure how annoying it would be to have the cable pointed straight out of your ear - it might be fine though

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

DancingShade posted:

Externally powered (as in mains power) USB hub. Connect hub to laptop, plug audio gear into USB hub.

Thanks. I'll do that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

The attenuation of the ER2 and ER4 series are the same, as they use the same shells and tips. As to microphonics, Etymotics can be worn with the cables wrapped up around the ears like with stage style IEMs which more or less eliminates microphonics.

are you being serious

have you honestly tried this with the er2 stock cable? be real. post pics.

the only way to accomplish this with any comfort and without looking completely stupid is with an etymotic-specific 90 degree right angle mmcx cable. You can find them on aliexpress if you're so inclined, but the whole point of the discussion in the first place was value proposition iirc.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 6, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you being serious

have you honestly tried this with the er2 stock cable? be real. post pics.

the only way to accomplish this with any comfort and without looking completely stupid is with an etymotic-specific 90 degree right angle mmcx cable. You can find them on aliexpress if you're so inclined, but the whole point of the discussion in the first place was value proposition iirc.

I do it all the time with both my ER2 and ER4, if anything the twisted cable on the ER4 has held up less well to the extra bending and twisting than that of the ER2. In general the ER2 cable is pretty bad in terms of feel and microphonics, but pretty typically so for cheap IEMs.

This is a different model of Etymotic, the ER2 and ER4 cables come out at an angle and so will stick out a little more if you’re deathly afraid of someone noticing your IEM cables, but the principle is the same. Having the wire looped around the back of your ear damps the vibrations that cause microphonics.

People come to this thread to request purchasing advice, communicate like an adult and stop being stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
1. Pull cable cinch as close to the earpieces as you can.
2. Put cable around your neck like a necklace, with the earpieces and cinch are behind your neck, and the split on your chest.
3. Pull the split up to your throat and pull the slack out behind your neck so the earpieces will reach your ears.
4. Problem solved

*this method is not for the "generously necked"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

People come to this thread to request purchasing advice, communicate like an adult and stop being stupid.

i'm not the one who kramered in here with ad homs outta fuckin nowhere buddy. whatever you deal is with redeyes how bout you keep it to your lonesome, eh big wheels?

honestly, one might even call your post a fail, if one were so inclined to posting like a redditor.

seriously, the er2 cable loving blows. it famously sucks rear end. i have no idea why anyone on earth would take it as a point of honor to defend it. weird poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

let's take a brief look:

Wheeee posted:

ANC doesn’t cause hearing damage.

Get some cheap Etymotic ER2 IEMs, they sound better than any wireless headphones and fit deep in your ear canal like earplugs, which allows them to attenuate sound like earplugs, they have better passive isolation than anything else on the market.

Specs for the ER2XR:

If you don’t need TWS and noise isolation is a priority Etymotic is by leaps and bounds the best option on the market, with the side benefit of also being the best sounding IEMs on the market under like $200 and frankly much more, the correlation between price and sound quality in earphones exists but is weak

Etymotic lyfe

was met with

redeyes posted:

Nope, this is a fail. The er2 is hollow and the cable is the most microphonic piece of poo poo ive ever had the displeasure of using. You may get isolated from outside sounds but not breathing, bumping the cable, walking, etc. It's worthless and unusable.

I'm not doing any kramering in, read better and stop losing your mind when people disagree with you. You've done this little freakshow meltdown poo poo at me previously when I've criticized a product you liked in this thread and it's still weird loser poo poo when you do it now.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i have no idea why anyone on earth would take it as a point of honor to defend it. weird poo poo.

I didn't defend it, in fact I explicitly said it was pretty bad in the above post, learn to read before having your little freakouts over poo poo people didn't even say.

oh and:

check it out you can even do it without angling them directly upward

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

that's cool, and it works fine if you don't move at all. the problem is that as soon as you start walking those wires will work their way off your ears because the connector is at a 45 degree angle, the wires weigh nothing and they want to be straight.

i continue to not be convinced that you actually wear them like this, but go off king.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheeee posted:

let's take a brief look:

was met with

I'm not doing any kramering in, read better and stop losing your mind when people disagree with you. You've done this little freakshow meltdown poo poo at me previously when I've criticized a product you liked in this thread and it's still weird loser poo poo when you do it now.

I didn't defend it, in fact I explicitly said it was pretty bad in the above post, learn to read before having your little freakouts over poo poo people didn't even say.

oh and:

Take a break and stop being weird dude. This is embarrassing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

One might even call your post a fail, if one were so inclined to posting like a redditor.

Wheeee posted:

Wheeee posted:

sir, this is the headphone thread. whatever is going on with you, I don't think it's about headphones. please don't come back unless you'd like to talk about headphones without referring to other posters and your opinions about them.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have a pretty abstract question, but I feel like if anyone would know, it would be you guys.

How do devices detect that there is *something* plugged into a 3.5mm port? Is it simply based off length of the thing plugged in, or is there more technical magic happening there?

Reason I'm asking, I need to plug something into a 3.5mm jack, but I need it to be as flush as possible while still being -- at some later date -- removable. They sell "dust covers" for phones and such, but the jack itself isn't a typically designed one, it's just a long piece of plastic that is, I guess, devised to be a similar width so it doesn't fall out. Would something like this work for my needs?

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 7, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LODGE NORTH posted:

How do devices detect that there is *something* plugged into a 3.5mm port? Is it simply based off length of the thing plugged in, or is there more technical magic happening there?

typically, it's just looking for lowered resistance. If you short the plug with something solid and conductive it'll think there's something plugged in. if you use something non-conductive then it won't.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

sir, this is the headphone thread. whatever is going on with you, I don't think it's about headphones. please don't come back unless you'd like to talk about headphones without referring to other posters and your opinions about them.

Please stop. You don't have any power to tell others to stop posting and you most certainly shouldn't have either.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have a pretty abstract question, but I feel like if anyone would know, it would be you guys.

See the contact labeled “10” here? When the tip of an inserted connector passes through, “2” is bent down slightly, and the connection to “10” is broken.

I’m not saying there aren’t more complicated arrangements doing resistance sensing or something, but this is the most common way.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 7, 2021

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Hi everyone,

I've decided to (probably) buy a separate, portable player that has enough juice to power some decent headphones in the future and needed some advice.

The headphones I currently use are a pair of B&W PX for my commute / shopping, DT770 Pro 80ohm at work, Air Pods for running and I have a pair of Blessing 2 Dusks on their way in the post. Of this tiny sample size, I'd say I like the DT 770's the best, especially for movie / game soundtracks or anything else involving orchestras. I will probably look to buy another pair of high-end over-ear headphones next year - haven't decided on those yet but I've got my eye on some MrSpeakers Ether C's.

Right now I'm looking at DAPs or some other portable way to play FLAC files that isn't necessarily my phone. The strongest contender is the HiBy R3 Pro Saber as it's not bank breaking and has LDAC for potential future purchases, as well as a bunch of other nice-to-have features like Bluetooth 5 but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the amount of players out there.

Here's a checklist of things I'm looking for:

* Micro SD compatible - I have a 256gig card that I intend to use to store all my FLAC files on. Some players i've seen only go up to 128gig.

* Can power more power hungry headphones. Will be looking to run my DT770's off it and more later when I upgrade.

* Is £400 ($540 US) or less. I could maybe stretch to a bit more but it'd have to be pretty special.

* I'm indifferent about Android as I don't do streaming things like Spotify. I am horribly old school.

* Isn't absolutely massive nor tiny. Had a look at the Shanling M0 and it's just too mini for me.

* Preferably can also be used as a DAC.

My main listening is done on my commute, at work and when I'm out on my own. I don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile but I do notice the difference in quality and comfort when switching between different headphones.

Any recommendations? Do I even need a DAP? Any advice would be much appreciated!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Any recommendations? Do I even need a DAP? Any advice would be much appreciated!
I don't have a DAP but I researched them for a while before deciding on a bluetooth amp with my phone as a source.

I would guess the larger players would have more output power, or at least bigger batteries so they could do so longer. I don't think there's a huge difference in sound between most of them, they all tend to use the same few DACs and most have extensive EQ options anyway. The biggest thing to me about things like this is usability of the hardware and software and a lot of these brands have very different opinions about user interfaces so ti's worth checking that out since if you don't enjoy using it you're not going to or you'll be mad about it every time you do. If Zeos/ZReviews has covered any of the ones you're looking at he can be a good source for actually talking about how they are to use. I'd say among the "big" names like Shanling/Fiio/Hiby/Hidiz you're probably at least safe that they'll work fine and have the features you want.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

frytechnician posted:

Is there a specific reason you don't want to use your phone? Something like a Qudelix 5K or a BTR5 would be a smaller, cheaper and arguably more useful investment imo. I understand some people just really like having a dedicated music device though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
One thing to watch out for that might not occur to you immediately is that if you listen to a lot of albums that need gapless playback, for some reason the majority of the chi-fi DAPs don't support it for some reason or another, so it couldn't hurt to research that specifically if it's something that matters to you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For me the appeal was storage, I have half a terabyte of music and I only keep a little bit on my phone. Ultimately the fact that I'm on an unlimited plan here at home and not traveling internationally was one of the main points too. If I have long plane/train rides in my future I'll revisit it. I do still like my Qudelix a lot but I'm mostly using it wired and the complaint about the buttons being fiddly was no joke, I covet the ones with knobs like the ifi Go Blue or the Shanling UP4.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I am not thrilled that my Fiio K3 required an ini edit to reveal a secret control panel option to make the popping noises stop when audio wasn't playing

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is there a specific reason you don't want to use your phone?

Not exactly. I think the thing I like about having a decent DAP is that I'd have a separate library filled with highest quality versions of the albums I like the most which I can plug either a good pair of IEMs or over-ears into and just not worry about any interference. Being able to then plug that into a work PC as a DAC also has a lot of appeal but I fully admit that I'm not against having something like a BTR5.

It's hard for me to explain as I'm not very concise but here's a rough idea of what I have in my head. I want to have a phenomenal mobile audio experience that eliminates the outside world as much as possible without loss of quality. My Bowers And Wilkins PX's have been pretty superb in my opinion and I've loved using them. However, I hardly ever use their noise cancellation feature as it muffles the sound somewhat. They're quite heavy and clamp on your head pretty tight too but for commuting, they've been a godsend since I bought them a few years ago.

I download mp3s and now mainly flac files and store them on my phone - don't have Spotify and don't particularly want it or anything else. Recently, I listened to Up The Down Trench by Thomas Newman through my PC on both my PX's and my DT770's and the difference was extremely noticeable. The DT770's just enveloped me.. I was back in the cinema watching it and that's what got me thinking about how to upgrade my current set up.

Now I could obviously just plug my headphones into my phone right? Well, the jack is pretty loose for one, the headphones won't stay in really. I also don't think I get the best sound out of it and I also like the idea of having a solid, dedicated unit for maximum listening pleasure that doubles up as something I can plug into a PC as a DAC and can power higher end headphones.

I've done about a week or so's research into this so I'm certainly not fully clued up or anything but it seems that there are a LOT of divisive opinions about this so that's why I'm asking around.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

I am not thrilled that my Fiio K3 required an ini edit to reveal a secret control panel option to make the popping noises stop when audio wasn't playing

Could you go into a bit more detail on this? I got a K3 as a replacement for my e10k (getting it in a couple weeks, friend is bringing it over from the states) and now I'm all worried. :ohdear:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Should I buy a Kz DQ6 set with the Bluetooth adapter cable? Or is there a true wireless set in the same price range that comes close sound quality wise? Thanks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

qirex posted:

If Zeos/ZReviews has covered any of the ones you're looking at he can be a good source for actually talking about how they are to use.
that guy is a clown among clowns.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

If we are going by audiophile standards he isn't even bad.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

He is a clown but he’s one of the few reviewers capable of actually criticizing something when it has dumb usability quirks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Could you go into a bit more detail on this? I got a K3 as a replacement for my e10k (getting it in a couple weeks, friend is bringing it over from the states) and now I'm all worried. :ohdear:

One of the comments here has the instructions: https://www.reddit.com/r/FiiO/comments/mtjg3g/strange_click_sound_with_fiio_k3/

Just gotta flip the setting that shows up and it's rock solid.

I'll add some details myself when I get back to my computer tomorrow.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

He is a clown but he’s one of the few reviewers capable of actually criticizing something when it has dumb usability quirks.

I’m still waiting for that dude to fully out himself, he pushes the whole “sexy pics of canonically underage anime babes” gimmick kinda far for it to be just a joke

RIP his cat, losing a pet like that sucks

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

One of the comments here has the instructions: https://www.reddit.com/r/FiiO/comments/mtjg3g/strange_click_sound_with_fiio_k3/

Just gotta flip the setting that shows up and it's rock solid.

I'll add some details myself when I get back to my computer tomorrow.

That'll do it, cheers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reminder if you want some headphones or Chinese audio stuff in general or to laugh at some sudden base price changes to make discounts look a lot bigger (yes Tin you were totally selling the T2 Plus for over £90 a few days ago) that the 11.11 sale on AliExpress is on for the next 2 days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

That'll do it, cheers.

In case it helps anyone else (and because looking this issue up is a pain in the rear end with all the dopes giving out 'restart your computer'-level advice):

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking the Tanchjim Prism for 11.11. I REALLY love the Oxygen so maybe trying their TOTL set is a good idea.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Hifigo never shipped my timeless so I cancelled it and went with linsoul for the free cable.

If you need iem cables, now's the time to pick some up, the tripowin zonie is a steal at $15. I have two of 'em, they're much softer and more durable than most stock cables i've used.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I have no idea how I’ve done this, but I lost the right earpiece of my DQ6 when I was switching cables with the ZEX. Big question is whether I replace that set during 11.11 or spend… much more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm trying to decide between ThieAudio Legacy 3 vs. Moondrop Starfield. Any thoughts either way? Leaning towards the Starfields I think because I don't want to deal with the switches on the Legacy 3.