Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Leperflesh posted:

I started a one on one small random map against the ai. middle age. I was randomly the blood magic with fire and deamons salamanders dudes. I made my pretender be a giant desert snake delayed in waking up. the ai turned out to be Ulm.

Things I suddenly realized after a bunch of turns:
-if you click to make a guy a prophet and then also tell him to do something else, he won't become a prophet. like, that's a full turn action, being prophetized
-you can recruit dudes in other provinces! ohhhhhyeahhhhh.
-it sucks to not have any archers or anyndudes in heavy armor or any cavalry, so go get some of those guys
-salamanders are fun but they die easily especially because they scamper out ahead of the rest of the army
-searching for blood slaves pisses off the locals a lot
-I have no drat idea what order to do research
-there sure are a lot of garbage spells
-the little icon for you sneaky scouts is hard to see
-I need more resources
-if you send a mage out on his own to site search some fucker might murder him

I didn't get much time for playing, we wound up doing stuff this evening. I will get on irc with you guys eventually but it might not be right away.

if you get a province that lets you recruit indie scouts make one of those bad boys almost every turn and cover the globe in hidden perverts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Some notes from a somewhat more experienced noob:

Leperflesh posted:

-it sucks to not have any archers or anyndudes in heavy armor or any cavalry, so go get some of those guys
-I need more resources
Resources are the major way the game limits recruiting troops from random provinces. Building a fort is the way to have resources in a province with troops you want to recruit. Recruiting without a fort is usually a waste of time, since you'll need a bunch of any troop for them to be useful.

Leperflesh posted:

-salamanders are fun but they die easily especially because they scamper out ahead of the rest of the army
While salamanders aren't the greatest troop ever, they can cause quite a bit of damage. However, you'll have to have a lot of them for them to be of any use. This is true for most good troops. Dominions punishes numerical disadvantage very harshly in multiple ways. Small units break instead of fighting, and being surrounded means troops will get defense penalties from receiving multiple attacks per turn.

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. There are even more spells that have one single niche use. Basically, when you're losing to an army that you just cannot deal with, you'll want to read through the spell list and find out what excellent powerful spell you should have researched, instead of the stupid worthless spells you actually did research.

Leperflesh posted:

Unfortunately scouting is both very important and very annoying to do. I just keep repeat recruiting them, and then hit the 'n' key to cycle through them and randomly push them towards unscouted territory. You don't need to waste time planning efficient scout moves when you just have a scout in most provinces. The F1 screen can then be used to locate your actual commanders.

Leperflesh posted:

It can happen, but searching for sites is worth it. Instead of bringing troops, just place the mage at the back of the field with orders to immediately retreat.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

oftentimes indies are not worth recruiting unless they fill a gap in your recruitment or some such (e.g. everyone w/o crossbows wants them, ma agartha can make use use indie archers, etc)

StoryTime posted:

Unfortunately scouting is both very important and very annoying to do. I just keep repeat recruiting them, and then hit the 'n' key to cycle through them and randomly push them towards unscouted territory. You don't need to waste time planning efficient scout moves when you just have a scout in most provinces. The F1 screen can then be used to locate your actual commanders.

just in case you didn't know this: shift+W will tell a commander to wait indefinitely so they don't pop up when you hit n any longer. it makes having scout coverage way less awful to deal with.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

baudin only keeps losing because he keeps insisting on playing nazca

I beat Baudin with Nazca - am I a terrible player?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

akulanization posted:

In my opinion the only things really wrong with man are: moms of avalon are still overcosted for what you get, the cav costs too much, and the crones are map move 1. 10ish gold off the fort and cap cavalry, yet another cost reduction on the mothers, and mm2 crones would make Man pretty good. Probably still a bit middling, but a whole lot less annoying and with much better incentives to make use of the whole lineup.

Such is the suffering of the priest magi. 3 path sacred for 195g isn't completely hateful though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Leperflesh posted:

I started a one on one small random map against the ai. middle age. I was randomly the blood magic with fire and deamons salamanders dudes. I made my pretender be a giant desert snake delayed in waking up. the ai turned out to be Ulm.

-if you click to make a guy a prophet and then also tell him to do something else, he won't become a prophet. like, that's a full turn action, being prophetized
-searching for blood slaves pisses off the locals a lot
-I need more resources

I didn't get much time for playing, we wound up doing stuff this evening. I will get on irc with you guys eventually but it might not be right away.

Instead of making poo poo troops from other provinces, build forts, then make national troops or double the indeps instead.

For Abysia specifically, the only independent troop they really benefit from are cheap archers to combo with Flaming Arrows

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leperflesh posted:

Abysia is fairly powerful. Do you mean you used an earth snake? Typically the monster gods (dragons, snakes and boars) are taken awake as expansion pretenders. I've never played abysia, but I've played against them a few times, their sacreds are powerful, they have a heat aura that burns dudes, they have okish HP and they hit fairly hard. Your best bet would probably be to take some pretender with N9 and maybe some earth/blood for later fun (other blesses might work), take heat 3 and ram burning lava dudes down peoples throats into the mid-game and then use blood/fire/astral and your god to have fun.

*edit* taket his with a grain of salt, I've never won a game although I have been to the late-game a few times and floundered.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 29, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MF_James posted:

Abysia is fairly powerful.

:captainpop:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

MF_James posted:

Abysia is fairly powerful.

until it rains

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haha yeah, sorry, this coming from a guy that has had no water access each time I've fought an abysia.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rain doesnt stop blood and many fire spells.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MF_James posted:

Abysia is fairly powerful. Do you mean you used an earth snake? Typically the monster gods (dragons, snakes and boars) are taken awake as expansion pretenders. I've never played abysia, but I've played against them a few times, their sacreds are powerful, they have a heat aura that burns dudes, they have okish HP and they hit fairly hard. Your best bet would probably be to take some pretender with N9 and maybe some earth/blood for later fun (other blesses might work), take heat 3 and ram burning lava dudes down peoples throats into the mid-game and then use blood/fire/astral and your god to have fun.

*edit* taket his with a grain of salt, I've never won a game although I have been to the late-game a few times and floundered.

Agreed. Posters who say Aby is weak have not won with Aby or lost to Aby.

/me glowers at Nuclearmonkee dubiously

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Luceid posted:

until it rains

I totally lost a battle against Ulm that I thought I was going to win, and it was definitely raining. Does the rain make my hot troops do worse?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Leperflesh posted:

I totally lost a battle against Ulm that I thought I was going to win, and it was definitely raining. Does the rain make my hot troops do worse?

rain makes it cost more fatigue to do fire spells sometimes, and rain makes the fire aura on abysian troops smaller i think? mostly its about the temp scales for that tho. In a recent game some guy cast rain at a big pile of my burning ones and then they killed his pretender with 250 hp in one round and killed his entire army

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jsoh posted:

rain makes it cost more fatigue to do fire spells sometimes, and rain makes the fire aura on abysian troops smaller i think? mostly its about the temp scales for that tho. In a recent game some guy cast rain at a big pile of my burning ones and then they killed his pretender with 250 hp in one round and killed his entire army

Yeah but is random environmental rain the same as someone casting Rain spell magical spell water Rain magic.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

i think so maybe.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Yeah but is random environmental rain the same as someone casting Rain spell magical spell water Rain magic.
Natural Rain is the same. Whether that's the same as random environmental rain is another matter, as is under what circumstances Storm also causes it to Rain (which it absolutely does, but only sometimes).

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rain makes fire spells cost double fatigue, reduces heat aura by 3, and puts out burning units basically immediately. It means that Abysian troops go from dominating other units in heat 3 to merely beating them, and from beating them in neutral temp to being even. They're already a bit overpriced once battlemagic comes into play, since they are +50% hp but +100% base gold cost compared to normal humans, but Rain is the cheapest/easiest way to make them bad. I think it's only Rain from spells that has any effect, not ambient background rain.

Lava Warriors are great, though. In heat 3, they should buzzsaw through just about any MA troop. They're also more gold efficient than Burning Ones against not-skellyspam.

MA Abysia's power hinges on getting a crossbow province imo. If they do, they have a solid midgame plan in flaming arrows + xbows. If they don't, relying on indie archers or falling fires or hellpower bombs all sound mediocre at best.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

having one thousand fire elementals is pretty good usually

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jsoh posted:

this was me, jsoh brutally owned me as fomoria with a bunch of (unsupported, i think?) burning ones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

too bad vanheres beat everything even when you're bad like me.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this was me, jsoh brutally owned me as fomoria with a bunch of (unsupported, i think?) burning ones.

do your corn turn

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Leperflesh posted:

1-if you click to make a guy a prophet and then also tell him to do something else, he won't become a prophet. like, that's a full turn action, being prophetized
2-you can recruit dudes in other provinces! ohhhhhyeahhhhh.
3-it sucks to not have any archers or anyndudes in heavy armor or any cavalry, so go get some of those guys
4-salamanders are fun but they die easily especially because they scamper out ahead of the rest of the army
5-searching for blood slaves pisses off the locals a lot
6-I have no drat idea what order to do research
7-there sure are a lot of garbage spells
8-the little icon for you sneaky scouts is hard to see
9-I need more resources
10-if you send a mage out on his own to site search some fucker might murder him

1) I think the only non-full-turn action a unit can take is alchemy. Everything else won't resolve until the next turn.
2) They're generally useless, except for a few standouts that other people have mentioned
3) There are serious disadvantages to dudes in heavy armour - especially heavy cavalry is rarely worth the cost
6) Research is like the hardest part of this loving game. It helps to have a plan beforehand (ask irc!)
7) god yes. However, you'd be surprised at the amount of situationally useful garbage spells.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regarding Ulm beating Abysia, assuming this is MA Ulm, Ulm is generally one of the strongest factions in early/mid-game. Fire damage is still merely low damage hits with AP, so you're still having to get through Ulm's absolutely monstrous Protection ratings, and decently massed Guardians massacre basically any sacred troops, including Lava Warriors. They do have moderately high encumbrance however, though nowhere near as much as other living factions similarly armored, which means fatiguing them out is admittedly reasonably possible. If they do manage to get access to water through an indie you're basically out of luck though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, like a turn after I posted, they killed my pretender in a combat. Not that i had any idea what I was doing, my pretender was naked and had no gems, oops.

I'm playing another game, this time as... um, dudes with wings who get turned into bundles of mummy when they die and then get carried around in palanquins? I forget their name. Anyway I'm doing a lot better but still figuring out the interface, magic, etc.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, like a turn after I posted, they killed my pretender in a combat. Not that i had any idea what I was doing, my pretender was naked and had no gems, oops.

I'm playing another game, this time as... um, dudes with wings who get turned into bundles of mummy when they die and then get carried around in palanquins? I forget their name. Anyway I'm doing a lot better but still figuring out the interface, magic, etc.
That'll be Nazca!

They're okay in a kind of slightly bad way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly just tell new players to start with MA Marignon or Ulm. Pretty basic, regular human factions. Ulm has no sacred units other than their priests so you don't need a bless and can pour design points into production to stomp AIs with waves of heavily armored not-Germans and that bullshit steel blizzard spell. Marignon could maybe use a bless for their dumb flagellant hordes, but other than that, they're fairly basic. Pikes, crossbows, angels, etc.

EA Ulm would also probably be a good choice. Just a bunch of Conans running around. LA Ulm and LA Marignon are both blood nations so would likely be poor choices for a beginner.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
EA Ulm must be a decent choice because that's practically the only thing Stallion of Ulm played since day 1 and he's famous now although never wins.

I was a noob who played MA Marignon for his first game and I would definitely not recommend it for noobs simply because all of their good dudes start in old age which frankly is AVGN levels of AAASSSSSSSS.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

EA Ulm must be a decent choice because that's practically the only thing Stallion of Ulm played since day 1 and he's famous now although never wins.

I was a noob who played MA Marignon for his first game and I would definitely not recommend it for noobs simply because all of their good dudes start in old age which frankly is AVGN levels of AAASSSSSSSS.
Having your wizards lose limbs or wither away and die due to old age is part of the Dominions 4 experience. :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jBrereton posted:

That'll be Nazca!

They're okay in a kind of slightly bad way.

Nazca, that's it. How come Nazca isn't even on the list on the dom4 wiki page? http://dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Nations_Overview
Is this wiki, by any chance, an incomplete semi-abandoned fan project, by any chance? Because if so, I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Having your wizards lose limbs or wither away and die due to old age is part of the Dominions 4 experience. :colbert:

I've been staring down a burden of time for about 20 turns now while playing as Ragha, where old age can begin at 30. I've had to remodel civilisation after the social structure of ants, where only the oldest and most decrepid members are sent out to war, while the briefly young tend to my queen labs. Torso the wonder wizard is a national hero here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Nazca, that's it. How come Nazca isn't even on the list on the dom4 wiki page? http://dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Nations_Overview
Is this wiki, by any chance, an incomplete semi-abandoned fan project, by any chance? Because if so, I am shocked, shocked I tell you.
Yeah I think the japanese have a wiki or something though?

e: the main actually useful Dominions resource is Larz' Mod Inspector (which if left in its vanilla state gives mostly-accurate data on the units, spells, etc. in the base game)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 30, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChickenWing posted:

There's too many LA games so I made some not LA games

Beaver

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/327

EA game with AINoRec and Ice Fiend mod. 10 L1 thrones, 4 L2, 1 L3. 21 Points total, with 12 to win. Low points because I want to see if everyone saying ~51% of points to win is maybe right.

Moose

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/326

Same thing but MA

Server is tentative, pending me getting ahold of Murtidash. If not I'll probably enlist monkee. I'll try to have maps by the end of the weekend.

e: no ermors

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 31, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

What about sceleria!? (I think that's the other popkill nation?)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

What about sceleria!? (I think that's the other popkill nation?)

They are not popkill. Shitlord Ermor is the only popkill nation in MA.

edit: oh right asphodel exists

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They are not popkill. Shitlord Ermor is the only popkill nation in MA.

:wrong:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What is the ice demon mod.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think my archers are shooting my own dudes in battle, but I don't see it in the detailed battle report. Is it actually happening?

Is there such a thing as Holy gems, or is the notice that a spell requires 0 holy gems just misleading?

If you script a caster to cast five specific spells, but you give them a general order to retreat, which takes precedence?

If I have two sacred casters, do their blesses affect one another? I assume blesses don't stack, though.

If I forget to give any script at all to (say) a commander, is there a description of what they'll do by default, and is it different depending on their role (commander vs. caster vs. troops)?

Is there a formal definition of exactly what constitutes a thug, or is it more of a casual term that just means any decent commander who can take on small armies on his own, if properly equipped?

I noticed rank and file troops can get afflictions. Is it worth the trouble to get them healed? I've started pulling individual troops who are totally crippled (both arms missing, for example) just because they're a pile of hitpoints to lose and push me closer to a rout, but it's extremely tedious to click through every dude to see if they're badly afflicted. What do you guys normally do?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I think my archers are shooting my own dudes in battle, but I don't see it in the detailed battle report. Is it actually happening?

Is there such a thing as Holy gems, or is the notice that a spell requires 0 holy gems just misleading?

If you script a caster to cast five specific spells, but you give them a general order to retreat, which takes precedence?

If I have two sacred casters, do their blesses affect one another? I assume blesses don't stack, though.

If I forget to give any script at all to (say) a commander, is there a description of what they'll do by default, and is it different depending on their role (commander vs. caster vs. troops)?

Is there a formal definition of exactly what constitutes a thug, or is it more of a casual term that just means any decent commander who can take on small armies on his own, if properly equipped?

I noticed rank and file troops can get afflictions. Is it worth the trouble to get them healed? I've started pulling individual troops who are totally crippled (both arms missing, for example) just because they're a pile of hitpoints to lose and push me closer to a rout, but it's extremely tedious to click through every dude to see if they're badly afflicted. What do you guys normally do?
a) very possible, the replay is not 100% accurate but the report is correct always.
b) no holy gems
c) the order at the end of the 5 you script goes off after the 5
d) you can bless 2 people at once but you only get the effects once. They shouldn't rebless a blessed unit
e) commanders fire if they can and attack if not, casters just cast dumb poo poo, troops will attack closest or fire closest depending on what they can do
f) thugs are casual as hell
g) almost never, ruined troops are good as blockers though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thugs were apparently much more of a dominions 3 thing. the dom4 experience involves buffing your troops and casting battlemagic, which is nice

you won't get a "friendly fire" stat in the battle reports but your guys can and will shoot their buddies in the back. deaths from this are reported along with the rest of your troops lost.

• Locked thread