Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
No wait! I actually have a different favourite! When it turned out HHH was inviting literal white supremacists to his events, and he went "...uh, but, well, what if he's just hosting a symposium for controversy, did- did you ever think of that?!" *looks rapidly from left to right, desperately attempts to maintain bladder comtrol*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, this thread gets weird when I open a bunch of tabs, don't pay attention to which thread is which, and think you're talking about Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Who once did an incredibly racist storyline, by the way...

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Halloween Jack posted:

drat, this thread gets weird when I open a bunch of tabs, don't pay attention to which thread is which, and think you're talking about Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Who once did an incredibly racist storyline, by the way...

People like...You *looks up and down at Jrode* don't get to argue in good faith.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/686926711737421825[/url]
His elaboration on that stupid statement is even worse:

quote:

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) launched a broad critique of President Obama’s economic record hours before the president delivers his final State of the Union address.

Instead of crediting Obama for any of the economic gains that have occurred in the last seven years, Ryan argued that the Federal Reserve’s policies pushed the recovery.

According to the transcript, via Nexis, a reporter asked Ryan if he believes the president “deserves any credit at all” for economic improvements. The Republican Speaker responded, “I think the Federal Reserve has done more. And by the way, I think the Federal Reserve has given us, in combination with Obama policies, more regulations, higher taxes, more uncertainty; has given us trickle-down economics.”

So, the president doesn't deserve credit for the economic growth, as the fed is responsible for that, but in addition to economic growth, the fed is also killing economic growth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And that economic growth is itself bad, because it came from Reaganliberal-style trickle-down economics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pictured: the Federal Reserve

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Jrod, and many other people, have a twisted view of governments, where everything is done by powerful, shapeless enemies. Governments are basically just a bunch of regular rear end people hired to do a variety of different types of jobs. Those people sometimes work for the government for a long time, some only a short time. Some people move from the private sector to the public sector, or vice versa. Some people transition like that several times in their careers. Most people don't think there is anything really that special about it! It's just another job, after all.

I've worked for several different governments at various times in my life. Everything I was tasked to do was limited and directed by a range of applicable laws that were passed democratically, or by a group of regulations and rules determined by administrative or legal bodies appointed by democratically elected representatives.

When Libertarians refer to "The Government" or "The State" doing something, they are abstracting away observable reality in order to confuse people. The Government is just people doing their jobs, as directed by the voting populace.

It also doesn't help that there are certain jobs that are extremely useful but literally wouldn't exist if it weren't for a government.

The other thing I like to throw in the face of libertarians is stuff like libraries or operas. These are things that operate at a loss pretty much by default but are, you know, kind of nice to have around. They justify their existence but tend to rely on funding. Charity is fickle at best so they tend to get government money. The libertarian view is that the only way something justifies its existence is that if you put money in more money comes out the other end. You don't dump money into the funnel labelled "library" to get more money out you do it to get libraries out.

Science is probably the biggest one; corporate science is only interested in profitable things but those profitable advances are heavily based on public advances made by institutions that the government dumps money in because science comes out of them. You can't even really quantify science, either. Sometimes "well we tested this theory and it turned out to be wrong" is extremely valuable but you can't tell that to libertarians.

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

Woolie Wool posted:

If only individuals can own property, we must ban corporations and destroy capitalism in the name of property rights. :colbert:

Corporations are ultimately owned by individuals. This seems so obvious I don't know if trolling. Or do you mean to suggest they are nebulous entities that in fact own people? Or run people? Or run themselves while owning people?

The founding principles of libertarianism are based on the notion of individual rights. An individual can choose to join up with others and can even choose to curtail their own liberty for the sake of union.

It's based on basic biology. You are quite literally an individual. You can not be further subdivided, nor can you link that which we call a consciousness, or your life in general, with another person. So any form of government must necessarily involve the participation of individuals.

The "libertarian" notion of governance through mutual consent is not really new. It was the basic argument for the justification of the British government, and all "just" governments by John Locke about 350 years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Jrod had a helpful metaphor to explain Lincoln's tyranny to. According to him (paraphrasing), "Imagine you live in a large apartment complex, and a few of your fellow tenets committed a crime. All of a sudden a million SWAT teams show up and are going to arrest the entire apartment complex for the crimes of just a few residents! Wouldn't those people who hadn't committed a crime be justified in defending themselves?"

His version was, of course, twenty times longer, but no less stupid.

I mean that's a pretty good example of the issue with nation states, whereby the state has a bad habit of deciding the nature of the nation. But "ban all states" is kind of a silly idea and so doesn't really solve the problem.

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thought there is that if you invent something but somebody else can make it more cheaply they deserve to be the one making it.

Which completely ignores the fact that inventing something in the first place takes time and money.

I have found the topic of intellectual property to be very difficult. It is a rather common idea among libertarians (and Communists among others) that nobody should have government protected intellectual property rights.

It isn't about "deserving" to make something per se, rather that if one can remake what someone else has made, how can you say it is not also theirs? Ultimately intellectual property comes down to parsing what is original and what is a copy. The vast majority of inventions are derived from previous inventions. Often only minor changes or effort produce something new and useful. In a way, nobody can ever actually exactly steal what someone has invented, they can however reproduce it from their understanding of the parameters.

I don't think intellectual property is about giving credit, but purely about giving the inventor a chance to make money from their idea. That's where the problem with someone being able to do it cheaper comes in. Certainly there probably isn't anything today that a small startup of people can make, that a big company can't do faster and more efficiently, once the initial creative phase is complete.

I would bet, like a lot of concepts around owning property, it's somewhat arbitrary. In that regard the libertarian against intellectual property would argue, if the application is admittedly arbitrary, and really exists not out of preserving some right but to give someone a chance to make money, which in itself is an odd task for government to take upon itself, then why not just default to more liberty, and do away with intellectual property restrictions? Because while we call them "rights" the effective outcome is using government force or coercion to stop people from doing something they were otherwise capable of doing.

I like intellectual property as a concept. More of a deference and respect to the creativity of humans. In a way disregarding the hard work and intellectual aspects of innovation seem so utilitarian and blunt. A morally abject pursuit of materials.

It's why I've bought original items from inventors, even though other companies might make a substantially less expensive, yet very similar product. In deference to the innovator, I paid more money. Free will, voting with my wallet. The only democracy that actually works.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Promontorium posted:

In a way, nobody can ever actually exactly steal what someone has invented, they can however reproduce it from their understanding of the parameters.
This argument doesn't apply to books, films, computer programs, digital photographs, audio recordings, etc... There are many things in the modern world which can be reproduced with perfect fidelity -- the imitation product is indistinguishable from the original.

quote:

why not just default to more liberty, and do away with intellectual property restrictions?
Because governments care about aggregate effects. The aggregate result of "no taxation, but everyone can chip in voluntarily for border defense" is "inadequate border defense; Mongol hordes sweep unimpeded across the land."

The aggregate result of "no centralized supervision; everyone is free to graze their livestock on common land" is the tragedy of the commons.

The aggregate result of "no legal protections for intellectual property" is either "everyone jealously guards their creations and refuses to share them except under onerous conditions (e.g. every concert-goer must submit to a cavity search for concealed recording devices)" or "nobody creates anything independently because they know it will just be stolen; innovation occurs only within massive vertically-integrated corporations which can crush rivals."

quote:

I like intellectual property as a concept. ... It's why I've bought original items from inventors, even though other companies might make a substantially less expensive, yet very similar product.
Which is great, if you know that the original product exists. But you usually won't, because the imitator doesn't need to bear the costs of development and can instead dump their entire budget into marketing.

Also - your behaviour is economically irrational:
  • If the original creator has stopped creating then buying his work at a premium achieves nothing. It is an act of charity.
  • If the original creator is still creating, then you should be seeking to invest in his business. Why be a mere customer when you could be an owner?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IP is a crude and flawed, but arguably understandable method of trying to make invention practical. Or to make high up-front, low per-unit cost manufacturing viable.

It's not a great thing because it relies on artificial scarcity to work, on withholding something you can make very easily because you want to make money off it. In some ways that's justifiable because you might be indebted because the initial creation of the thing you're selling was very expensive and now you need to sell a lot of it to make that money back. The problem arises after you've passed that point and you can still use your IP to keep artificially inflating the cost of something just to make profit off it.

In some ways the expiry of patents is a good way to counter that, you get so long to make money off a thing and then it's fair game. It's not perfect but if you didn't have IP at all you'd need a major restructuring of how the economy works in order for a lot of things dependent on it to be viable.

Such as complete state ownership of industry, perhaps :v:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
wait, sorry off topic a bit but Did Payl Ryan just say that Obama gave us trickle down economics and that's bad?

Wasn't this rear end in a top hat jacking off Reagan's ghost all through his campaign last cycle? Did no reporter call him on that?!?

What a transparent rear end in a top hat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

wait, sorry off topic a bit but Did Payl Ryan just say that Obama gave us trickle down economics and that's bad?

Wasn't this rear end in a top hat jacking off Reagan's ghost all through his campaign last cycle? Did no reporter call him on that?!?

That's been a major GOP strategy for like...ever. Do something then complain nonstop about the Democrats doing it, even if they aren't.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Promontorium posted:

Corporations are ultimately owned by individuals. This seems so obvious I don't know if trolling. Or do you mean to suggest they are nebulous entities that in fact own people? Or run people? Or run themselves while owning people?

In the Property Rights thread, I forget if it was jrode himself, or Caros digging up various Libertarian "scholars"; but the Libertarian idea of corporations and partnerships is kinda hosed as well. In order to be a partner or part owner in a business, you can't simply "buy-in". You must actually provide/own some distinguishable, identifiable, physical non-liquid positive asset to the company. As in, I don't own 0.1% of General Motors shares, I own welding robot #AZ009-Q52 on lane 3 at station 67R in the Parma Heights (Cleveland) Engine Manufacturing plant, and that's what makes me a part-owner of the company.

After all, corporations are legal constructs created by the State, and if corporations are keeping us down it's because the State created an atmosphere that forces the poor beleaguered CEOs to unwillingly oppress us, instead of setting us free in glorious laize-faire capitalism.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Romney actually started using the term "trickle-down government" during the election. That seems to be the new game plan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Romney actually started using the term "trickle-down government" during the election. That seems to be the new game plan.

What, as in, the 1% have all the government and get governed super hard, while the rest of us only get governed a little bit when it suits the interests of the 1%?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

In the Property Rights thread, I forget if it was jrode himself, or Caros digging up various Libertarian "scholars"; but the Libertarian idea of corporations and partnerships is kinda hosed as well. In order to be a partner or part owner in a business, you can't simply "buy-in". You must actually provide/own some distinguishable, identifiable, physical non-liquid positive asset to the company. As in, I don't own 0.1% of General Motors shares, I own welding robot #AZ009-Q52 on lane 3 at station 67R in the Parma Heights (Cleveland) Engine Manufacturing plant, and that's what makes me a part-owner of the company.

After all, corporations are legal constructs created by the State, and if corporations are keeping us down it's because the State created an atmosphere that forces the poor beleaguered CEOs to unwillingly oppress us, instead of setting us free in glorious laize-faire capitalism.

Sooooooooo the libertarian ideal is to take something that's simple and works and make it needlessly complicated.

Stocks and equity might not be perfect but they're simple and that's why they work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sooooooooo the libertarian ideal is to take something that's simple and works and make it needlessly complicated.

Stocks and equity might not be perfect but they're simple and that's why they work.

They do generally have a problem with the concept of just owing people a favor. You can't use currency, you have to buy physical gold and physically trade it. You can't own shares, you have to physically own an object in the company.

gently caress if I know why but it's somewhat consistent at least.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

OwlFancier posted:

What, as in, the 1% have all the government and get governed super hard, while the rest of us only get governed a little bit when it suits the interests of the 1%?

As in the government collects all the taxes, has all the monies, and we expect them having all this monies to just magically trickle down to the poorer folks.

And by magically I mean through spending on social programs, infrastructure, grants, publicly owned companies, etc. You know, the things governments do all the time. The things corporations cannot do because there's no profit motive. The things that have evidence to suggest they actually work, unlike Reaganomics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

They do generally have a problem with the concept of just owing people a favor.

I wonder how libertarians would respond to learning about cultures based on gift-giving where it's considered the height of bad manners to actually square up your debt with somebody, instead you're supposed to always give back a smaller or bigger gift.

Probably they'd want to invade

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Promontorium posted:

It's pretty easy to parse; if only individuals can own property, then a group of individuals or a legal entity that represents a group of individuals (a corporation) cannot own property. I am not sure which part of this is confusing you

I mean it's ultimately idiotic, like all things associated with libertarianism, but the conclusion here is at least easy to reach

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Promontorium posted:

The founding principles of libertarianism are based on the notion of individual rights. An individual can choose to join up with others and can even choose to curtail their own liberty for the sake of union.

It's based on basic biology. You are quite literally an individual. You can not be further subdivided, nor can you link that which we call a consciousness, or your life in general, with another person. So any form of government must necessarily involve the participation of individuals.

The "libertarian" notion of governance through mutual consent is not really new. It was the basic argument for the justification of the British government, and all "just" governments by John Locke about 350 years ago.

You idiot, corporations can own property in their own right without it belonging to any individual person. An ExxonMobil oil rig belongs to the company, not any executive or shareholder. That is the basis of the joke, and yes it is a joke because this is something awful dot com and not some priggish high school debating society.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Promontorium posted:

The "libertarian" notion of governance through mutual consent is not really new. It was the basic argument for the justification of the British government, and all "just" governments by John Locke about 350 years ago

Though the naturalistic fallacy is very nice and comforting no doubt, I think rape and murder are bad even though basic biology drives primates to do it to propagate their genes and we should have laws against it even if we can't secure the voluntary agreement of every rapist and murderer.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3745862&perpage=40&pagenumber=54#post455091612

Well, he's back.

And, uh.

:stare:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ A short recap: Jrod ignored all the previous debate and evidence thrown at him to show that free markets in healthcare and medicine are generally a bad idea, that mutual aid societies collapsed because they were an insufficient way of running things and also attacked Caros' reason for abandoning Libertarianism due to his friend's death from a relatively easily treatable form of brain cancer which she couldn't afford as him being traumatized and hysterically blaming the free market portions of the US healthcare system when OBVIOUSLY there's simply no reason to do that at all because Jrod did the first thing I mentioned in this horrible, mutated, run-on of a sentence.

Also we found out he probably sells pirated blu-ray's of Hong Kong action films for a living and "Jrod, do you sell pirated HK kung-fu DVD's?" is at a serious risk of becoming the new "Jrod, have you ever hosed a watermelon?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
But what if...what if...

WHAT IF HE FUCKS WATERMELONS WHILE HE PIRATES DVDS?

:ohdear:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what if...what if...

This sounds like the new 'pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time'.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what if...what if...

God damnit you loving assholes! Knock this pirated DVD bullshit off. It's not funny and it's annoying as all hell.

He bootlegs Blu-Rays, get it right! It's like saying he fucks cantaloupes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

God damnit you loving assholes! Knock this pirated DVD bullshit off. It's not funny and it's annoying as all hell.

He bootlegs Blu-Rays, get it right! It's like saying he fucks cantaloupes.

Well he never said he didn't gently caress cantaloupes sooooooo....

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well he never said he didn't gently caress cantaloupes sooooooo....

jrode, an equal opportunity melon fucker.

Caros
May 14, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

jrode, an equal opportunity melon fucker.

Forced dick integration is immoral. If jrodefeld only wants to associate his dick with watermelons then that should be his choice. Do not violate the nap.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Caros posted:

Forced dick integration is immoral.
Is...is that like the libertarian version of "no fat chicks"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Forced dick integration is immoral.

sally hemmings joke, etc.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey Caros, sorry I got the details about you and your friend wrong. I just think it was a bit lovely and cold the way jrode went about his argument. I was in a bit of a snarky mood, typed up a long argument about how my mom is suffering from osteopenia because she couldn't afford the regular check ups, and how this is a thing every woman has to deal with, but not everyone can afford it. But then I kept deleting it, rewriting it, didn't want to come across as crass in light of your friend, then said gently caress it. I really only wanted to call jrode "jchode" and post that link to Beach, ND.

Caros
May 14, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Hey Caros, sorry I got the details about you and your friend wrong. I just think it was a bit lovely and cold the way jrode went about his argument. I was in a bit of a snarky mood, typed up a long argument about how my mom is suffering from osteopenia because she couldn't afford the regular check ups, and how this is a thing every woman has to deal with, but not everyone can afford it. But then I kept deleting it, rewriting it, didn't want to come across as crass in light of your friend, then said gently caress it. I really only wanted to call jrode "jchode" and post that link to Beach, ND.

Oh no problem at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Do not violate the nap.

Hold up brb imma get my statist thugs together with some trashcan lids and whistles.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

If it makes you feel any better, this is actually the 2nd time Jrod has used Caros' experience as a critique of his rejection of libertarianism.

:negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Buried alive posted:

If it makes you feel any better, this is actually the 2nd time Jrod has used Caros' experience as a critique of his rejection of libertarianism.

:negative:

It is at least the third. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I think I'm bored with him too Caros. The only thing new he's revealed in this latest tantrum is that he misunderstands economic demand and elasticity at an even more fundamental level than I'd previously guessed.