Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Immilreth's endless teleporting around sure is balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Magni posted:

Most of he problems in the Northern Realms aren't because of anything Nilfgaard did, they're because the NR are a bunch of feudal kingdoms with all the constant internecine squabbling and assorted bullshit that implies. FFS, you *start* the Witcher 2 accompanying Foltest as he merrily besieges and sacks a temerian city over internal politics and a lovers squabble. The only difference in terms of warmongering is that Nilfgaard *can* do more no because it's any worse, but simply because it is bigger and more powerful. None of the northern kingdoms would act any different were the roles reversed - in fact, Redania under Mad Rad would arguably act *worse*.

Obviously they'd all go for the power grab but saying "Nilfgaard is better, they're cleaning up all this mess!" is completely missing what is actually happening. Though Radovid wouldn't be in the situation that's he's if not for Nilfgaard, so that's an irrelevant point. Nilfgaard is poo poo and caused a ton of needless death. The marauders and bandits running wild are all due to the constant war caused by Nilfgaard, and them winning wouldn't lead to a better life for anyone. It'd be about the same or worse under Emhyr as it was under someone like Foltest.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I'll try that, and ask another question: If I were to upgrade just the GPU, would I get a noticeable performance increase or would the bottlenecking just change to being caused by a different part? From my rudimentary PC building research (this is the only one I've ever built), the GTX 760 is almost a budget part these days. If nobody has any recommendations I'll take it to the PC building thread even though I hate that place.

Given that I'm running the game just fine at 1920x1080 on an i5 4670k with 8GB of RAM and a 460 GTX that's 2 generations below minimum spec I highly doubt it's your graphics card.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CitrusFrog posted:

Given that I'm running the game just fine at 1920x1080 on an i5 4670k with 8GB of RAM and a 460 GTX that's 2 generations below minimum spec I highly doubt it's your graphics card.

I hate computers so much :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nilfgaard winning is probably canonical to the books, seeing as how Emhyr is supposed to live a full life free of assassinations. The nobles of the Empire are absolutely not fond of his military adventurism and the generations of war with the North have beaten the Empire's economy up pretty badly. There's also prophecies from the books stating that Ciri's son will rule half the world and that the son of her son will rule all of it. So if you wanted to stick to as close to official as possible, you can pretty easily figure out how to make it happen.

Or you can say gently caress prophecy and gently caress canon, you might not care for rewarding Nilfgaard's brutal slaughter of a whole shitload of people leading up to this point, including Ciri's homeland of Cintra, leading to the death of Ciri's grandmother Queen Calanthe (there's a book about it in the game world). Let Djikstra's reign of stern but rational realpolitik commence! Guy can obviously beat Emhyr with less than half the resources because Nilfgaard overextended itself too far too quickly like idiots.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I'll try that, and ask another question: If I were to upgrade just the GPU, would I get a noticeable performance increase or would the bottlenecking just change to being caused by a different part? From my rudimentary PC building research (this is the only one I've ever built), the GTX 760 is almost a budget part these days. If nobody has any recommendations I'll take it to the PC building thread even though I hate that place.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g
or https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming100me if it's the same price

The 760 is fine if you're content with turning down heavy stuff, a 970 is pretty much a 50-60% boost in every metric.

Try moving the game to an internal drive before buying stuff yeah ^^

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Did I miss the follow up to giving Yen the skull back or is there none?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Mr. Whale are you ok? :(

This is what happens when someone has an idea but light bulbs haven't been invented yet.

What is that up there?

Waterbed Wendy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 15, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I hate computers so much :negative:

Yeah, I hear you on that.

I mean, I'm not getting solid 30fps framerates and the only detail level I have on high is water so I get actual waves, but it's eminently playable without being jerky as hell.

Your problem is probably something else eating into your CPU cycles or the seek speed on your hard drive. Maybe run contig via Power Defragmenter on your install folder (unless you've got it installed on an SSD, in which case do NOT defrag your files under any circumstance).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Mr. Whale are you ok? :(

Better clean up that beach. Geralt's got grenades, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

Good wine: Vendor in the north side of Novigrad, near the Passiflora, same guy who sells you the stuff to access Aeramas' tower.

Old Wine from Toussant? Nope, quest still stuck.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Not sure if the Quen Intensity skill is worth it. Right now, I'm level 23 and going full sign mastery build with the Quen tree completely maxed out. With 3 Greater Blue Mutagens and a full set of Superior Griffin gear, I am at +220 Sign Intensity on my character sheet (after reswapping my mutagens after a loadscreen to get the correct numbers due to the bug). I also have the unlisted effects of 6 Greater Veles Runes on my swords and 3 slotted Greater Quen Glyphs on my armor.

Against roughly equal level enemies that are green color, my normal Quen shield usually breaks after one hit. If I'm fighting grey level enemies, my Quen is good for about 3 hits, but that's mostly a convenience at this point. Basically, even after full investment, my boosted up Quen is essentially the same as having no points in Quen, since unmodified Quen still blocks one attack.

The two damaging modifier skills in the Quen are also kind of anemic for the points invested. That said, Active Shield is really good and is pretty much the star of the Quen tree. Probably going to respec, take only Active Shield in that tree, and put my points towards more worthwhile skills.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Better clean up that beach. Geralt's got grenades, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU

Wow, what the human mind can achieve.

drat this thread moves fast, I thought I could sneak more screenshots in that post quickly but nope!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

Not sure if the Quen Intensity skill is worth it. Right now, I'm level 23 and going full sign mastery build with the Quen tree completely maxed out. With 3 Greater Blue Mutagens and a full set of Superior Griffin gear, I am at +220 Sign Intensity on my character sheet (after reswapping my mutagens after a loadscreen to get the correct numbers due to the bug). I also have the unlisted effects of 6 Greater Veles Runes on my swords and 3 slotted Greater Quen Glyphs on my armor.

Against roughly equal level enemies that are green color, my normal Quen shield usually breaks after one hit. If I'm fighting grey level enemies, my Quen is good for about 3 hits, but that's mostly a convenience at this point. Basically, even after full investment, my boosted up Quen is essentially the same as having no points in Quen, since unmodified Quen still blocks one attack.

The two damaging modifier skills in the Quen are also kind of anemic for the points invested. That said, Active Shield is really good and is pretty much the star of the Quen tree. Probably going to respec, take only Active Shield in that tree, and put my points towards more worthwhile skills.

This was my experience with all the third-tier Signs abilities that simply give +5-25% Intensity to that specific Sign. It seems to just be additive with your huge pile of Sign Intensity from gear and mutagens which makes it really weak.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I feel cheated after having ground this witcher armor. I couldn't use the Superior Feline stuff until after both the battle at Kaer Morhen AND the fight with Ilmerith when I could have really used it. Seems like it was all a big loving waste of time now that I'm at end game and only need it for one more fight. Makes it seem useless.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Pellisworth posted:

This was my experience with all the third-tier Signs abilities that simply give +5-25% Intensity to that specific Sign. It seems to just be additive with your huge pile of Sign Intensity from gear and mutagens which makes it really weak.

Yeah my "sign build" ended up having more points in swordplay than signs at the end of the game, even though I relied a lot more on Igni for damage when I could (which is most of the time).

I took alternate quen, igni, aard, and axii along with the armor-melting igni skill and delusion. Seems like all you really need to be a magical wrecking machine. Probably wouldn't have missed alt-aard much if I hadn't taken it, either. It was mostly just worth another 10% sign intensity for having it slotted :v:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Saladman posted:

Is there any way to make Witcher 3 stupid easy? I know there's the difficulty setting, but even on "story mode" or whatever the lowest is, I'm finding that the "quest level" seems to make almost a block in terms of story approach: at level 4, I just did the level 10 "meet Triss in Novigrad" quest where you scare the rats out of the granary, and the fight at the end was stupidly much harder than it should have been (it took like 10-15 minutes to kill those bastards).
If you're on PC, you can download the mod that reenables the debug console and cheat yourself a few levels. When facing enemies of higher level than you, yes, there is scaling in terms of damage dealt and received. If you're really just after the story, then that's likely your best bet.

https://github.com/Nalatroz/witcher3-booster/releases

The version on the Nexus hub is currently outdated and does not function, as the original author hasn't been available to update it for a few weeks. The above link should work.

Here's a list of all commands:

http://www.mmo-game.eu/witcher-3-debug-console-commands/

If you're playing on console, best do some other quests, buddy. If you're level 4 you've probably not done the Velen quest chain yet, go knock that out of the way. It's really, really good.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 16, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah my "sign build" ended up having more points in swordplay than signs at the end of the game, even though I relied a lot more on Igni for damage when I could (which is most of the time).

I took alternate quen, igni, aard, and axii along with the armor-melting igni skill and delusion. Seems like all you really need to be a magical wrecking machine. Probably wouldn't have missed alt-aard much if I hadn't taken it, either. It was mostly just worth another 10% sign intensity for having it slotted :v:

Yeah, you can easily get a huge pile of Sign Intensity from gear and mutagens. All you need to wreck house is Delusion (for conversation) and your pick of the alt-Signs in the second tier. All the alternate signs are great get whichever ones you like. Skip the third and fourth tier because the return on investment is really lovely and boring and you'll have more fun and benefit branching out into swords or alchemy.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm running this on a 560TI with a lot of settings on high, post processing, 1080x1920 and I get a solid 35 FPS. I feel like the minimum requirements are a complete lie

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My second play through, on hard, is signs focused. Just hit level 14 so I'm doing the enhanced griffin armour treasure hunt now and already it's great using exploding quen and alt igni and alt yrden to destroy things. Think I'm at 110% sign intensity bonus right now. Still gotta think on my feet and never stop moving which is a lot of fun.

This is the only RPG I've ever played on the hardest setting and actually enjoyed because it's not just HP sponge enemies and cheap kills; it feels perfectly fair so long as I do my reading and use potions and oils appropriately. Which makes sense since the game literally starts with Ciri being scolded for being all practise and no theory.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I'd say Delusion, alt-quen for "oh crap, need health NOW", and then your favorite effect sign.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pot Of Shoe posted:

This is what happens when someone has an idea but light bulbs haven't been invented yet.

I think this actually does make Witcher 3 a JRPG.

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is the only RPG I've ever played on the hardest setting and actually enjoyed because it's not just HP sponge enemies and cheap kills; it feels perfectly fair so long as I do my reading and use potions and oils appropriately. Which makes sense since the game literally starts with Ciri being scolded for being all practise and no theory.
Have fun with Imlerith!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any way to re-spec?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This is an odd problem, the game updated to 1.06 and now there is no vocal audio. I don't hear Dandelion narrate any of the loading screens, nor the priest in the intro cinematic, nor Geralt during gameplay (when I examine something for a quest, for example). Nothing in the options seem to have been changed, and I haven't changed anything from between last night and tonight except the patch update. Is this just me or is this an issue?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes, certain vendors - usually alchemists - will sell you a Potion of Clearance for 1,000 Crowns. It restores all your spent points to your pool so you can redistribute them.

Vendors who sell it include the Pellar in Velen, the Witch of Midcopse, and the shopkeeper in Novigrad who sells the possessions of dead mages.

Edit: I may be mistaken about the Pellar, they expanded a lot of vendor inventories and while I *think* he now sells it, I'm not certain. There's a set of maps here that definitely show you some vendors, but beware it may contain spoilers: Potion of Clearance Vendors

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 16, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Immilreth's endless teleporting around sure is balanced.

This a joke post? It is balanced, he runs out of stamina after teleporting a bunch and just leans over panting for you to whack on him until it recovers.

Edit: Unless he's different on the very highest difficulty and doesn't run out of stamina.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Scandalous posted:

Have fun with Imlerith!

Eh he kicked my arse on normal at first but once I nailed dodging him and using quen sensibly it was fine. Probably the only mildly annoying HP sponge fight that didn't give me a chance to prepare in the game, though. Is he really much worse on high difficulties?

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 16, 2015

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm running this on a 560TI with a lot of settings on high, post processing, 1080x1920 and I get a solid 35 FPS. I feel like the minimum requirements are a complete lie

I use the same card and run at 720p since I play on my TV from the couch anyway. I have everything on either medium or high and the game is smooth as hell.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Eh he kicked my arse on normal at first but once I nailed dodging him and using quen sensibly it was fine. Probably the only mildly annoying HP sponge fight that didn't give me a chance to prepare in the game, though. Is he really much worse on high difficulties?

On Death March he was probably the longest fight in the game for me. Took forever to wear him down but his attack patterns are very predictable, he's a bit tedious.

Edit: Yeah I was running a Signs/Alch build and I ended up just kiting him around Yrden traps and most of my damage was from my sword.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 16, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can only speak from my own experience on Death March with a Sign build, but despite being decked out in full Griffin gear with the accompanying abilities and a *shitload* of sign intensity, he took barely any damage from Igni (we're talking low double-digits) and Quen would hold out against only one blow. My mistake was going full into Signs and not spending a bit in Combat or Alchemy to complement. It was doable, yes, since his moveset doesn't differ, but my patience wore thin. Eventually I just drank an Archgriffin Decoction.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

On Death March he was probably the longest fight in the game for me. Took forever to wear him down but his attack patterns are very predictable, he's a bit tedious.

Fair enough. Once I noticed that he tires out it was easy last time. The rest was mostly rolling and dodging plus quen as often as possible, with a sword specced to cause bleeding as often as possible.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Scandalous posted:

I can only speak from my own experience on Death March with a Sign build, but despite being decked out in full Griffin gear with the accompanying abilities and a *shitload* of sign intensity, he took barely any damage from Igni (we're talking low double-digits) and Quen would hold out against only one blow. My mistake was going full into Signs and not spending a bit in Combat or Alchemy to complement. It was doable, yes, since his moveset doesn't differ, but my patience wore thin. Eventually I just drank an Archgriffin Decoction.

Yeah, you can't go pure signs on him. I wonder if Yrden lightning has any better effect? In any case, speccing for sign intensity is good, but you're missing out on a lot by not speccing alchemy as well--superior petri's plus superior tawny owl plus a decoction really help out.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, you can't go pure signs on him. I wonder if Yrden lightning has any better effect?
Not really. Not long after that I switched to swords/alchemy with a focus on fast attacks for the Cat School Styles bonus and man that's fun.

Geralt please show some respect

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This is more of a general video gamey question: why do ragdolls bounce? Whenever Geralt bites the dust (or many of his humanoid victims), they do a little leap in the air. The same thing seems to happen in all sorts of game engines.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I think I'm getting interested in the lore more than anything. Eredin is looking for another world to inhabit because the White Frost is killing his world.

What is this White Frost?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah, you can buy a potion that refunds all your skill points from Keira or a merchant in Novigrad if she's not around anymore. The merchant is the dude that sells the dead mage's auctioned-off crap, in the northern-ish part of the city.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

King's Gambit: What happens if you decide to go with Hjalmar instead of helping Cerys with her investigation?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I think I'm getting interested in the lore more than anything. Eredin is looking for another world to inhabit because the White Frost is killing his world.

What is this White Frost?

It's basically a universal ice age that's slowly advancing and devouring entire worlds.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

nickmeister posted:

This is more of a general video gamey question: why do ragdolls bounce? Whenever Geralt bites the dust (or many of his humanoid victims), they do a little leap in the air. The same thing seems to happen in all sorts of game engines.
I don't know, but it's an interesting question! Seems to my utterly uninformed eye that it's a matter of the body switching from canned animation to a physics object, and the resultant sudden application of force from the ground, gravity, the killing blow and what have you on the newly reactive form. Like a sudden acceleration, almost. But that's just total speculation, I've got no idea how these things work.

Notice too that when you're in slow motion and you kill a dude, the bounce is even more impressive. That's pretty funny. I decapitated a Skellige at one point with a slow-motion finisher and I poo poo you not his body launched up into the air in a long arc that carried him quite some distance towards the horizon. He flew over the small island we were fighting on and landed in the sea.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Scandalous posted:

I don't know, but it's an interesting question! Seems to my utterly uninformed eye that it's a matter of the body switching from canned animation to a physics object, and the resultant sudden application of force from the ground, gravity, the killing blow and what have you on the newly reactive form. Like a sudden acceleration, almost. But that's just total speculation, I've got no idea how these things work.

Notice too that when you're in slow motion and you kill a dude, the bounce is even more impressive. That's pretty funny. I decapitated a Skellige at one point with a slow-motion finisher and I poo poo you not his body launched up into the air in a long arc that carried him quite some distance towards the horizon. He flew over the small island we were fighting on and landed in the sea.

Geralt is deadly serious about his golf game.