Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

How about weekends? I've got raid until 9pm pacific on Saturday and I'm free after that, and staying up until ~2am isn't too bad for east coasters on the weekend. Barring that, let's do Sunday, or we can just do something next week later in the evening so other west coasters (and potentially aussies who don't feel like playing in the morning) can make it.

I'm a social butterfly Fri/Sat evenings, but Sat/Sun afternoons sometimes work. Late weeknights is still most reliable for me, it would be cool if we could occasionally do it. I know it's late for east coast people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

I've been playing Warrior and enjoying the axe main/sword off with greatsword as my second weapon set. Questing is either solo or with my wife, we've also started checking out some fractals and might get more involved in that.

How good is Knight's gear for overall usefulness in damage and survivability without giving up too much personal DPS, but also not going too far into glass cannon territory? It seems pretty reasonable over Berserker's. If Knight's isn't a great choice, what would be more in line with how I play?

Nothing is ascended yet, but I do have enough laurels to buy a piece of jewelry. Starting fractals will be a nice journey into difficulty ramp, I imagine. I'd like to minimize how many sets of gear I'll need for as long as possible while I build up resources and crafting skill.

You'll do fine, warrior can buff himself to ridiculous levels, you'll hardly notice the slight deeps lost for not using zerkers.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

nickhimself posted:

How good is Knight's gear for overall usefulness in damage and survivability without giving up too much personal DPS, but also not going too far into glass cannon territory? It seems pretty reasonable over Berserker's.

There really isn't a compelling reason to not run as much damage as possible in PvE because the bulk of your mitigation should come from evades & weapon/utility skills. The really dangerous stuff will just kill you anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm a social butterfly Fri/Sat evenings, but Sat/Sun afternoons sometimes work. Late weeknights is still most reliable for me, it would be cool if we could occasionally do it. I know it's late for east coast people.

A big reason why I don't play this any more is because I get home at 10pm PST and there is usually no one around. Or, those that are remain silent the whole time.

I just wanna smoosh my face on my fellow Goons and ruin their Fractals.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Schpyder posted:

I don't know if it is by default, but if not, bind X to "about face." As soon as you see a boulder, hit it. Works every time. I went from raging at that fight after losing at that same spot half a dozen times to clearing it easily once I figured out that you could about face while gliding.

I will try this, thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

A big reason why I don't play this any more is because I get home at 10pm PST and there is usually no one around. Or, those that are remain silent the whole time.

I just wanna smoosh my face on my fellow Goons and ruin their Fractals.

Well let's do some late weeknight hanging out then! I try and go to bed around 11 PST but at least that gives us a bit of time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Octopus posted:

There really isn't a compelling reason to not run as much damage as possible in PvE because the bulk of your mitigation should come from evades & weapon/utility skills. The really dangerous stuff will just kill you anyway.

Not true at all.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Not true at all.

Yea, my b. Should've recommended Nomad's.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

this is absolutely true outside of raids, argument could be made for high level fractals with the heal/support spec, but you could get away (do amazingly well) with full zerker

meta for 3 years running

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Octopus posted:

Yea, my b. Should've recommended Nomad's.

drat, retarded hyperbole one in post in, NEW RECORD.

I keep forgetting gear stats is this thread's trigger phrase, MY BAD, forget I said anything.

Use whatever the gently caress you want in PvE, ask about gear for raids or wub is the best advice I can give.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well let's do some late weeknight hanging out then! I try and go to bed around 11 PST but at least that gives us a bit of time.

If you didn't kick me for inactivity, I'll get on tomorrow and we can cuddle.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

warrior gets away with using berserkers because of all the passive healing?

nearly dead? woop better run away for like 20 seconds while your health completely refills

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nickhimself posted:

I've been playing Warrior and enjoying the axe main/sword off with greatsword as my second weapon set. Questing is either solo or with my wife, we've also started checking out some fractals and might get more involved in that.

How good is Knight's gear for overall usefulness in damage and survivability without giving up too much personal DPS, but also not going too far into glass cannon territory? It seems pretty reasonable over Berserker's. If Knight's isn't a great choice, what would be more in line with how I play?

Nothing is ascended yet, but I do have enough laurels to buy a piece of jewelry. Starting fractals will be a nice journey into difficulty ramp, I imagine. I'd like to minimize how many sets of gear I'll need for as long as possible while I build up resources and crafting skill.

For open world pve and low level fractals knights will do you just fine. It's hard to tell you how things will suit how you play though without knowing how you play. The thing about higher level fractals is that stuff hits so hard that having high toughness doesn't help anywhere near as much as killing it faster does. Wearing zerker gear sort of forces you to learn to dodge/blind/block etc.

Your first ascended piece should be an amulet, since the laurel vendor is the only place to buy those. I suggest you save yourself the trouble later and buy a berserk stat one. Especially if you end up doing higher level fractals you will find yourself wishing everything died a lot faster and the best gear to do that with is zerker, and double especially if you're looking to minimize your gear sets, other than big scale wvw a zerker set will cover the entire game for a warrior.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
If you're willing to level your crafting, Marauder's stat gear is usually the best second to Berserker for power damage builds. All you get is up to 6000 more health if you go all in on it, sort of just making you a healing sponge, but it sacrifices fewer damage stats than Valkyrie/Knight's/Cavalier's/Soldier's etc. Generally more appealing on Thief, Elementalist, and Guardian who only have 11k base health and may actually survive another hit or two because of it, and it's a little expensive to craft at upwards of 8g in materials just for the insignia.

Otherwise, Knight's and Valkyrie are probably fine, but changing your traits, skills, and equipped weapons is free so that's usually the first place to go to sneak in extra survivability.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Knight is poo poo because Power isnt a primary attribute for it. Better to go Soldier if you keep dying.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDjSejOCG0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLmJhYiZTo

I swear it glows more in Bloodstone Fen. I probably have radiation poisoning or something.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

going exotic > ascended gave me +20/16/16 to my stats, which is fairly mediocre

however, adding a bunch of +5 stat infusions to all my gear would give me an extra 90 stat

so all up that's a small boost but it's one that exists and you can do it too

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
If I choose to play Thief, how bad is it going to be for me when I get to the end game? Also, is there a possibility that there is a Thief rework before I even make it there?

It's really hard cause the skill animations for Thieves are so loving cool.

I tried to play a Mesmer last night and it's definitely different and powerful but I think I want to play through with Thief first and then use my free level 80 on Mesmer later.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I hope your mother died in childbirth to spare her the shame of having raised a thief player.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

karn1635 posted:

I tried to play a Mesmer last night and it's definitely different and powerful but I think I want to play through with Thief first and then use my free level 80 on Mesmer later.

Can't speak to thief, but using your boost on Mesmer is a good idea—they're poo poo to level.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

karn1635 posted:

If I choose to play Thief, how bad is it going to be for me when I get to the end game? Also, is there a possibility that there is a Thief rework before I even make it there?

It's really hard cause the skill animations for Thieves are so loving cool.

Thief is fine, if you like the class go for it. They might not be invited to the most tryhard optimized raid groups, but other than that they're fine, have great DPS and in fractals/dungeons can help out a lot with stealth.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SlothBear posted:

For open world pve and low level fractals knights will do you just fine. It's hard to tell you how things will suit how you play though without knowing how you play. The thing about higher level fractals is that stuff hits so hard that having high toughness doesn't help anywhere near as much as killing it faster does. Wearing zerker gear sort of forces you to learn to dodge/blind/block etc.

Your first ascended piece should be an amulet, since the laurel vendor is the only place to buy those. I suggest you save yourself the trouble later and buy a berserk stat one. Especially if you end up doing higher level fractals you will find yourself wishing everything died a lot faster and the best gear to do that with is zerker, and double especially if you're looking to minimize your gear sets, other than big scale wvw a zerker set will cover the entire game for a warrior.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm glad I held off on buying anything with laurels last night because now I'll feel a lot better picking up an amulet.

Which build is generally preferred for general pve? I saw this one in the dulfy warrior guide. Is that good? I question it because there's zero condition cleansing and everything I'm fighting seems to auto-cast every snare ever alongside every other condition possible.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magres posted:

Come to the Mastery Point Train tomorrow evening! I can help you get all hopped up on green points and gliding like a maniac. Or, if you're short on XP, you can just spend time in the new zone and you'll get tons of XP. This place absolutely rains XP on you and you can definitely make due without ley line gliding.

I'm getting kinda hyped to come back to GW2 once I'm done moving and have internet at home again. I kinda got tired of grinding XP for masteries, but I do have updrafts, so running around on mastery point trains and then getting mountains of XP in the new zone sounds good to me. I really want to glide around all the time everywhere, it was my favorite part of the expansion that wasn't called Chronomancer.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Why is Thief so poo poo? Was it one of those things where it was loving crazy good for a long time then they nerfed the poo poo out of it and gave all it's abilities to other classes?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Which build is generally preferred for general pve? I saw this one in the dulfy warrior guide. Is that good? I question it because there's zero condition cleansing and everything I'm fighting seems to auto-cast every snare ever alongside every other condition possible.

I'm very far from an expert, but I have been playing a Warrior lately.

What you linked is an alright leveling build, though I much prefer a mace off-hand to a sword off-hand.

At level 80 it's worth using Berserker unless you don't have Heart of Thorns: this is a solid build for fractals. If you're doing outdoor content you probably want Discipline for the movement speed—the zone they just added also has some enemies that are brutal in melee, so if you find yourself getting demolished, switching in Defense will go a long way (it also has a skill that helps a lot with movement impairing effects), as will Healing Signet.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

karn1635 posted:

Why is Thief so poo poo? Was it one of those things where it was loving crazy good for a long time then they nerfed the poo poo out of it and gave all it's abilities to other classes?

Because ANet skimped on paying people to balance the game, and the designer in charge of theif probably doesn't love or care about it (see also: Tempest lead designer) as much as other lead designers.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

nickhimself posted:

Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm glad I held off on buying anything with laurels last night because now I'll feel a lot better picking up an amulet.

Yeah, that's a fine build for solo play or just general open world stuff. Remember that you can change your utility skills on the fly, so if you're in an area where you're getting lots of conditions you can swap the heal to Mending, or swap the banner for Shake it Off. You can also take the Discipline trait Brawler's Recovery for even more at the cost of some regeneration from banner.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

karn1635 posted:

It's because people who play thief are vaguely humanoid globs of poo poo reanimated by means that should never have existed and the designers wanted the players to be able to relate to their characters.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

karn1635 posted:

Have you tried Getting Good yet? That usually works.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Thieves though relatively underpowered can still be fun and challenging to play, you should definitely try it. It'll put some hair on your chest! also potentially your palms, elbows, forehead and the inside of your eyelids if played excessively, so be careful

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I wanted to get viper/sinister ascended on a necro alt, what would be the most efficient way to go about it, which parts should be viper, which sinister and what would be the cheapest/most efficient way to get the viper armor? mythic forging a different set of ascended into viper?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why play Thief when you can play Mesmer? :smuggo:

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If I wanted to get viper/sinister ascended on a necro alt, what would be the most efficient way to go about it, which parts should be viper, which sinister and what would be the cheapest/most efficient way to get the viper armor? mythic forging a different set of ascended into viper?

You should only mystic forge different sets into what you want if you get an ascended armor/weapon drop from say, fractals. It's generally cheapest to directly craft what you want, since the difference in materials is in the inscription anyway. Also Fulgurite is no longer a huge pain in the rear end to get the mats for anymore.

Also, visit metabattle and gw2efficieny for the builds (particularly the armor layout) and crafting comparisons (if you don't want to take my word for it) respectively.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Waci posted:

It's because people who play thief are vaguely humanoid globs of poo poo reanimated by means that should never have existed and the designers wanted the players to be able to relate to their characters.

So they're the Hunter equivalent in WoW?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Harrow posted:

Why play Thief when you can play Mesmer? :smuggo:

I don't know how warm and moist hunters are, but every time you think things are going well, you hear the wet schglorb behind you and the stench of yesterday's lunch revisiting you hits you, and you turn around to see the thief smearing itself all over your leg.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Waci posted:

I don't know how warm and moist hunters are, but every time you think things are going well, you hear the wet schglorb behind you and the stench of yesterday's lunch revisiting you hits you, and you turn around to see the thief smearing itself all over your leg.

I want to hear the story that turned the Thief into this for you.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nickhimself posted:

If you mean just running around in the open world, literally play whatever you think is fun. I recommend having Discipline like wallet says for the 25% move boost passive with melee weapons as that will make running around less tedious. For fractals and stuff, everyone will expect you to be Phalanx Strength (the build Wallet linked, or some variety of it) but that's not as much fun for running around in the world because its slower to move.

Also don't be worried about mixing your builds up, if you think you need more condi/stun break just toss in shake it off or balanced stance or something. I like having a ranged and melee weapon for just wandering around type stuff, I find greatsword/longbow (for lots of little mobs) or hammer/longbow (for breaking stunbars on big guys faster) the most fun but it really can't be said enough for open world pve just play what you find the most fun, almost everything is effective.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Imagine you're in a beautiful, flower-filled meadow, admiring the butterflies flitting in the air around you, and you hear footsteps behind you. You turn to greet the stranger, determined to make a new friend and not be a negative shithead for once. You see a hobo, wearing ragged clothes that look as if they once upon a time were less brown. "Good day, stranger! What brings you to this merry meadow this fine day?" You say as a gorgeous purple butterfly lands on your shoulder. "Grffbswplorf..." Says the stranger, specks of liquid as brown as his clothes spraying from his mouth and tarnishing the once-beautiful plantlife between you. "Are you unwell?" You ask, concerned by the unintelligible noises and vile stench emanating from the poor creature. As you approach the indubitably sick manimal, he waves a lumpy implement of some kind at you. As much as you try to hope that it came from a different animal, the obvious affection between the implement and its wielder leave no doubt that it is self-made. Alarmed and now with a wide, brown stripe across your chest, you retreat. Your butterfly friends try to protect you, only to be struck down by the poo poo-smearing lunatic. As you scramble away, you see the man lift his turd to his teeth and bite, seemingly invigorated by the recycled snack, as he speeds after you.

Towards the edge of the meadow, you see your coworkers, your companions on this mandatory but unpaid team-building exercise, milling around next to a blue circle on the ground. Inside the circle is some shady-rear end foreigner, who your coworkers are lazily chucking small pebbles in the general direction of. You overhear something about a bet between your companions, about who can hit the foreigner with the fewest stones thrown into the circle without crossing the rapidly reddening line. As you try to run towards them, hoping that they might instead chuck a pebble at the mad man chasing you with a meal that is now on its third round tthrough the Eternal Cycle of Arus, to be eaten again and again for eternity, you feel something heavy and warm land on your back. As the re-pooped globule drips down your back, staining both your beautiful skin and previously-fine shirt, you stumble. You stumble, and you fall. Face down in the dirt, you hear the fecal fanatic standing over you, and in a desperate bid to avoid further excrementitious excitement, you explode.

The feeble turd-burglar looming above you explodes, showering you and the surrounding idyllic landscape with droplets, lumps, chunks, and swirls of feces both old and new. As you climb up from underneath the pool of what was your foe, your coworkers wave at you. Sitting idly next to a now-red circle while the perfidious alien dances a merry little jig within, they ask you: "Where the gently caress were you? We're 2v1 over here, stop running around and get on point."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

karn1635 posted:

They looked at thief and saw they had some good situational burst damage and mobility, then they buffed them to be the best at stealing boons and then they patted themselves on the back and moved on to try and figure out what the hell they're going to do with scrappers.

• Locked thread