Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah, all the game storage for NES games encouraged you to dump the box and just keep the sleeve. Same with SNES games. Genesis had cases that kept.

Same for Master System. I think I have more Master System games in cases than any pre-disk system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japan had premium Nintendo boxes. They're made from a better cardboard and have plastic inserts to maintain the shape. And that's the big problem with the American boxes, they're made from recycled pulp with even shittier paper inserts that crumble when sneezed upon.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well it's good to know I'm not alone in the black goo area.

Quick question I've been doing a little reading on making custom SNES cartridges. From my understanding you use something like Kazzo to flash the cartridge (which are sold separately and around 25 bucks shipped), but you can basically use old rear end Madden (or other old rear end sports titles) which you can find for like 3 bucks, and just rewrite those, correct? Anyone ever done that here? Is it particularly complex to do? I'm interested in things like Earthbound Uncut and I'd rather just do it on my end and save (after the inital Kazzo purchase) $30 to $40 then pay for someone else's on eBay ( though I'd rather buy labels or a case then make that).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Japan had premium Nintendo boxes. They're made from a better cardboard and have plastic inserts to maintain the shape. And that's the big problem with the American boxes, they're made from recycled pulp with even shittier paper inserts that crumble when sneezed upon.

Namco in Japan also used plastic cases for Famicom games for a while. Though I think they stopped around the same time they had their falling out with Nintendo (presumably no longer manufacturing their own carts meant they just used whatever Nintendo provided).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well it's good to know I'm not alone in the black goo area.

Quick question I've been doing a little reading on making custom SNES cartridges. From my understanding you use something like Kazzo to flash the cartridge (which are sold separately and around 25 bucks shipped), but you can basically use old rear end Madden (or other old rear end sports titles) which you can find for like 3 bucks, and just rewrite those, correct? Anyone ever done that here? Is it particularly complex to do? I'm interested in things like Earthbound Uncut and I'd rather just do it on my end and save (after the inital Kazzo purchase) $30 to $40 then pay for someone else's on eBay ( though I'd rather buy labels or a case then make that).

You can't rewrite real cartridges, unless you rip out the normal ROM chips and replace them with EEPROM or another form of nonvolatile storage.

Normally, people will grab like a Madden just for the case, take out the whole internal board, and swap in a new board with the proper rewritable chips pre-installed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

You can't rewrite real cartridges, unless you rip out the normal ROM chips and replace them with EEPROM or another form of nonvolatile storage.

Normally, people will grab like a Madden just for the case, take out the whole internal board, and swap in a new board with the proper rewritable chips pre-installed.

Okay, I'm just looking for a solution that doesn't require desoldering as I have absolutely not skill I'm that area. So the easiest thing is just to get the rewriterable chips? Are there any recommend brands or sellers?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Well, I will not be buying a Neo Geo X thanks to this thread.

(no srsly thank you for saving me $250. I'll just loving buy the games on Switch)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay, I'm just looking for a solution that doesn't require desoldering as I have absolutely not skill I'm that area. So the easiest thing is just to get the rewriterable chips? Are there any recommend brands or sellers?

How many ROMs are you thinking about playing? You may be better off getting a flash cart like sd2snes or super everdrive and playing the ROMs off of that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nah you'd need to buy a whole board with the chips already on and configured so it can be written in one of the writing devices. But a lot of games and even some romhacks, are available on pre-set-up "repro" cartridges you can get off aliexpress or eBay. They're basically walking copyright violations, but they're cheap and they work.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mariooncrack posted:

How many ROMs are you thinking about playing? You may be better off getting a flash cart like sd2snes or super everdrive and playing the ROMs off of that.

Do this or buy repros made by other people. If you aren't comfortable enough with soldering to even do through-hole soldering then you probably don't have the skill to make your own.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BattleMaster posted:

Do this or buy repros made by other people. If you aren't comfortable enough with soldering to even do through-hole soldering then you probably don't have the skill to make your own.

mariooncrack posted:

fishmech posted:

Nah you'd need to buy a whole board with the chips already on and configured so it can be written in one of the writing devices. But a lot of games and even some romhacks, are available on pre-set-up "repro" cartridges you can get off aliexpress or eBay. They're basically walking copyright violations, but they're cheap and they work.

Yeah, nah I definitely don't have the skill. I just wanted to make a good faith investigation that, no, in terms of time spent and money spent, any savings, are dwarfed by needing to learn the skills to do it, getting it right, and time I could spent just doing normal paid work vs just buying the cart or when I have some more money to blow on the SD2SNES (that seems far better suited for my needs).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick follow up do people feel the SD2SNES is worth the extra money compared to the everdrive? It seems like the SD is really all you need, but it is double the price. Are the improvements over the everdrive, worth the price increase or is the everdrive perfectly good.

Also thanks for everyone talking me out of trying to do my own carts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

Is it long box? Because yeah long boxes would be impossible to replace. (My googling is failing to turn up anything other than jewel cases and long box for Discworld.)

edit: Or is it a PAL copy? Those cases look like they're slightly different.

Discworld, USA version. The game is a bit different than the typical early ps1 longboxes in that it's not clear plastic. The artwork is actually printed on the box itself. There's no clear plastic at all. It makes the case look beautiful but you are completely screwed if it breaks. My Discworld case had the prongs that hold the CD completely shatter (for seemingly no reason) and there's literally no way to replace it. You're also screwed if the door hinge breaks though maybe Krazy Glue could fix it if you didn't misplace the broken piece. Another non-standard longbox case I remember was Street Fighter Alpha. It was a longbox but it had zero plastic. It was all heavy cardboard with the artwork printed right on it. A lot less likely to break unless you stepped directly on it with your full weight. But if you did, there's no replacing it.

Speaking of the lovely cardboard in SNES boxes, they actually got even worse later on! I have the 1997 release of Vegas Stakes and the cardboard is so thin it actually warps when there's nothing inside.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 26, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Quick follow up do people feel the SD2SNES is worth the extra money compared to the everdrive? It seems like the SD is really all you need, but it is double the price. Are the improvements over the everdrive, worth the price increase or is the everdrive perfectly good.

Also thanks for everyone talking me out of trying to do my own carts.

I personally had both and I way prefer the SD2SNES. There's way more potential for compatibility with every SNES game. While it may never happen, the potential is there. There are people even trying to restore Satellaview to work online again by means of the on board USB port (as well as online versus play). Again there hasn't been much news in this area but expandability and the possibilities for the future to me make it worth it.

It can also support roms literally gigs in size. So you can play oddities like Star Ocean decompressed but also MSU-1 which is the biggest reason I am glad I got it. Google Zelda a Link to the Past MSU-1 on YouTube and you'll see what I mean. And it doesn't even show you the official Japanese fmv when you start the game. People are hacking Chrono Trigger to put all the PS1 FMVs in the game.

SNES Zelda with Nintendo's official orchestrated remix is absolutely stunning. Some people think it sounds odd having 16 bit graphics with CD sound but that's literally what the Sega CD was and I always thought Lunar was great.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 26, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So is anyone excited about the SNES Classic and the crappy Star Fox 2 rom that they're including.

I mean, SF2 would have been an FX chip game so maybe there's a way to get other ones to Work?

I'll never get my hands on the thing so...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're rereleasing Super FX chip games, that seems important.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That line-up is amazing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They're also including Yoshi's Island. That seems like a big deal. I think they've only released the gba port in the past.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The SNES line up is strong as hell; however, nonzero chance it'll be the GBA Yoshis Island.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Why the hell would they release the GBA version of Yoshi's Island on the SNES classic which also includes Super FX games Star Fox and the unreleased Star Fox 2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

Why the hell would they release the GBA version of Yoshi's Island on the SNES classic which also includes Super FX games Star Fox and the unreleased Star Fox 2?

Hell, just proper Super FX emulation in general is a big deal isn't it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a decent lineup but Chrono Trigger is a notable omission and could easily have gone in place of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts or Contra.

I wonder what the translation situation for those RPGs is going to be like in Europe. Original cartridges could only fit a single language, the German translations were awful, and most of the RPGs in the lineup didn't even get a European release.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phantasium posted:

They're rereleasing Super FX chip games, that seems important.
That was one thing that seemed big.

The other was SMRPG and EB in it.

The thing is basically purely distilled RetroGaming, and it'd be enough for most people to dump a sad collection over, but gently caress it availability is going to suck so there's no reason to get excited.

(Until they crack and duplicate the SFX implementation, at least)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario All Stars, and Chrono Trigger are the only ones missing to make that a perfect lineup. And even then, All Stars isn't essential and Chrono Trigger has already had so many rereleases. Star Fox 2 being included makes up for Dreamland 3's absence.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah that's a really solid game selection. I thought I'd want one, but probably will just put the money that could go to that towards a SD2SNES or a framemeister or something similar.

Do you all have suggestions for those scaling boxes or is the framemeister the one to beat still?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, can someone throw some words at me about the Virtual Boy? It's the one Nintendo system I don't own and have never played and it's for some reason sounding like a fun buy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah that's a really solid game selection. I thought I'd want one, but probably will just put the money that could go to that towards a SD2SNES or a framemeister or something similar.

Do you all have suggestions for those scaling boxes or is the framemeister the one to beat still?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, can someone throw some words at me about the Virtual Boy? It's the one Nintendo system I don't own and have never played and it's for some reason sounding like a fun buy.

I've got an SD2SNES already and will probably get this anyway. Maybe put it on my desk with a monitor while the former stays hooked up to the CRT.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Someone asked about about an age old question of SD2SNES vs. Super Everdrive which crops up every now and then (and a similar case for Mega Everdrives) and my stock answer is that I've been very satisfied with my SD2SNES. Lots of features, more game support, great-looking menu, fast loading, MSU-1 support (and automatic region patching). If you're gonna buy an expensive thing anyways, why not take the one that's got the most features.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stan Taylor posted:

At least this is a nice companion piece for the SD2SNES for now since it has a lot of the games that still not playable on it yet like Mario RPG, Star Fox 1 & 2, Kirby Superstar, and Yoshi Island.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks all for the SD2SNES vs. Super Everdrive opinions. I have to honest I think for now I'll get the classic and eventually the SD2SNES. I am so happy I didnt get Earthbound Uncut for $40 yesterday. I mean yeah this will be the US version, but I'm fine with that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regular Nintendo posted:

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, from what I'm told people love that game for the world-building and that takes effort to find and enjoy.

I played it on og xbox in like 05 or 06 (whenever Oblivion came out, that's what made me grab it) and personally it bored me to tears. If I was a little younger and got a chance to play it before college/adult life I probably would've devoured it though.

The only other games I've ever played that are remotely close to this are Fallouts 1-3 and New Vegas. This is my first Elder Scrolls game so I don't know if my thoughts would be any different than it would be if I played the others.

Mind, I decided to ask around and read a bunch of character creation guides before starting. I don't really like the idea of building a character to find out hours in that my choices will reach a limit and make the game miserable. I went Redguard majoring in long blades and blocking and favoring Endurance and Luck. Things are generally real easy to kill as long as I have a sword and shield. Before really playing I did a short test run without first doing research and whiffed near every attempted attack. It was very frustrating.

I know a few of the environmental story telling examples Bethesda was well known for back then. One of my favorites is the Falling Wizard. I haven't really encountered anything notable though, except for the lady with the rat infestation that hoards hundreds of pillows in her attic.

One thing that I'm still kind of getting used to is that every NPC has a name. This isn't really unique in a sense, but Morrowind's gameplay actually makes you use it. You don't have quest markers, instead quest givers will tell you to go talk to so-and-so in such-and-such town and leave you to it. So you actually have to walk to the town and talk to people and say "I'm looking for Dipshit Bigqueef" or whatever and they may or may not know them, or know who might know them, or point you at a better place to ask, etc. Then they give you actual walking directions to the destination instead of a quest marker appearing on your compass or whatever. At first I found it annoying and a bit overwhelming, but it's really growing on me. You start to get an idea of who knows and likes who and what groups and factions they're affiliated with and so on.

There's a quest I'm doing now that was given to me by an Imperial Legion soldier that wants to get rid of a few corrupt council members in a nearby town that the Empire turns a blind eye to. He doesn't give you names, just very barebones descriptions about their positions on the council. It's up to you to do the reconnaissance to make sure you got the right dude before you shove a blade in his neck.

All of this is a different experience for me. I didn't grow up on "CRPGs" like a lot of people here probably did and really hated open world games. I was the kind of kid that hated Diablo II back in the day because it was way too "open" and preferred the more directed dungeons of its predecessor.

feedmyleg posted:

Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario All Stars, and Chrono Trigger are the only ones missing to make that a perfect lineup. And even then, All Stars isn't essential and Chrono Trigger has already had so many rereleases. Star Fox 2 being included makes up for Dreamland 3's absence.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is the only Kirby game that I did not like. It bored me to tears. I'll take DKC2 instead of SGnG instead.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like people in the US can pre-order the European version of the SNES classic. I just did and it looks like it went through just fine :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obido...3b3e8bdd9d9f847

Please for the love of Jesus someone update the thread the second the American version goes up for pre-order if I'm not around to post

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It looks like people in the US can pre-order the European version of the SNES classic. I just did and it looks like it went through just fine :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obido...3b3e8bdd9d9f847

Please for the love of Jesus someone update the thread the second the American version goes up for pre-order if I'm not around to post

It says it won't ship to the US?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

FilthyImp posted:

So is anyone excited about the SNES Classic and the crappy Star Fox 2 rom that they're including.

I mean, SF2 would have been an FX chip game so maybe there's a way to get other ones to Work?

I'll never get my hands on the thing so...

Star Fox 2 beats the poo poo out of Star Fox 1. Hell, I enjoy it more than 64.

It would have been an FX2 chip game, the only other cartridges that had FX2 are Yoshi's Island, Doom, and Winter Gold.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

It says it won't ship to the US?

Weirdly enough it seems this is lies? Try ordering it anyway, went through for me (to Canada, where it also said it wouldn't ship to).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

univbee posted:

Weirdly enough it seems this is lies? Try ordering it anyway, went through for me (to Canada, where it also said it wouldn't ship to).

It let me checkout but I'm fully expecting it to get cancelled.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nintendo has an announcement for the SNES Classic on their North American website. It's coming out in the US and Canada.

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the leaked Star Fox 2 ROM somewhat broken? Like I know it was 95% complete but I'm wondering what Nintendo is going to include to make it really complete. Or are they just going to find the ROM on Emuparadise and call it a day or what

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

It let me checkout but I'm fully expecting it to get cancelled.

You can also pre-order from game UK

Be warned its like 108 us dollars after converting

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-classic-edition-2024185

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anyone know what the Japanese line up is for the SFC Mini? I suspect it's actually going to be pretty close to the US line up given the companies involved, though Dragon Quest is definitely replacing one of the games (probably Contra since I don't think that's as popular in Japan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You can also pre-order from game UK

Be warned its like 108 us dollars after converting

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-classic-edition-2024185

I'm going to pre order from them. I don't mind paying that tax and it looks cool.

• Locked thread