Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Original character please do not steal.

It's not a bad character IMO just they don't put that much (any?) effort into all the other ones unless celeb voice acted in which case its amazing what they can pull out of such an old engine.

At this point with Kuumarke it's like 'here's basically your standard moral Federationer except she's not in the Federation because we want her to be more special.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I have a sinking suspicion that Kuumarke is some dev's waifu.

DancingShade posted:

Original character please do not steal.

It's not a bad character IMO just they don't put that much (any?) effort into all the other ones unless celeb voice acted in which case its amazing what they can pull out of such an old engine.

She doesn't cost anything extra to use, just her VA fees.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The new mission is fine. Nothing particularly exciting or new mechanically, but a solid execution of STO ground and space in general.

The most annoying part is there's some tricky geometry in the ground section. The NPC AI struggles a bit with what may be the narrowest corridors in STO, and a ramp that's really steep. I found myself alone in a couple of the rooms because my BOffs and their associated combat pets had all gotten tangled up in the hallway right outside the room.

You'll also get to enjoy* all of STO's minigames.

All in all, a solid B-. Nobody is inexplicably homicidal, nothing intentionally frustrating mechanically, and it does a good job setting up the next arc.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Jupiter patrol is by far the quickest way to get your dailies. You fight 4 groups of enemies with no time gating; I usually only have time to use grav well twice before I’m done. Do recommend.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

so when I first came back I was like "oh neat the power curve is back near Legacy of Romulus levels huh" but now I'm buzzing around in my decked out legendary akira with some more modern traits and poo poo and lmao no they just completely blew the power curve apart didn't they?

Like who the gently caress invented Superior Area Denial

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

so when I first came back I was like "oh neat the power curve is back near Legacy of Romulus levels huh" but now I'm buzzing around in my decked out legendary akira with some more modern traits and poo poo and lmao no they just completely blew the power curve apart didn't they?

Like who the gently caress invented Superior Area Denial

Someone who saw all the whining about how carriers were underpowered and decided “well gently caress you all then, I’ll show you”

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Preechr posted:

Someone who saw all the whining about how carriers were underpowered and decided “well gently caress you all then, I’ll show you”

I mean, they were for a really long time because fighter AI was and still is terrible.

I feel more things are viable now in general which is good because people can run more of what they want rather then specific stuff for DPS. Obviously if you chase DPS you'll need to go full meta and spend the :10bux: but having options is good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The power curve now is with the right gear / traits it pretty much doesn't matter what endgame ship you use, everything dies in seconds.

Which flavor of everything blowing up in seconds would you prefer?

I guess it might matter if you focus on elite difficulty content or parser chase. That's a goal I suppose.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m only just getting started on the event due to being on the road.

What’s the easiest TFO in this one to afk/semi afk?

Edit: wait azure nebula can just be straight solo afk’d right?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 12, 2023

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m only just getting started on the event due to being on the road.

What’s the easiest TFO in this one to afk/semi afk?

Edit: wait azure nebula can just be straight solo afk’d right?

Don’t bother. Do the Jupiter Normal patrol twice; it takes about 2-3 minutes and has no cooldowns. If you really must AFK then yeah azure.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Preechr posted:

Don’t bother. Do the Jupiter Normal patrol twice; it takes about 2-3 minutes and has no cooldowns. If you really must AFK then yeah azure.

I've heard the new patrols are buggy, but mostly in relation to the Mars one.

I imagine the ease of it also varies based on which enemy group you get and your build. If you don't have a powerful build Azure is probably faster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently if you put the borg set on the Gorn Hunter it basically becomes just a flying borg set.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've heard the new patrols are buggy, but mostly in relation to the Mars one.

I imagine the ease of it also varies based on which enemy group you get and your build. If you don't have a powerful build Azure is probably faster.
I don't think it's buggy, but the mobs spread out quite a bit, and sometimes you'll end up with some so far away they don't show up on the map anymore but you still need to kill them before the mission will end. Or wait for an NPC to kill them, which could take awhile.

Both of the new patrols seem to have the triple ship XP turned off, so they're garbage for leveling ship mastery. But Jupiter is quick and fun, and will probably become another commonly parsed map in the DPS community.

For the current event, if you have a decent AOE build (CSV or a sci-EPG build would be ideal) you can knock out a run in 30 seconds, and get your event progress done in a minute.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think the new episode is nice. Picking up some stuff from the New Horizons season that a lot of people liked. I think the Tholian stuff seems solid and makes a lot of sense for everything else they've done. Only real problem with the storytelling is how weirdly callous your character is at the end.

Also it feels like they aren't going to dive back in to the Mirror Universe, which was my fear.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I for one cannot wait for mirror borg, and eagerly anticipate them all having cybernetic crop tops, hot pants, and goatees. Yes, the goatees have to be cybernetic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1960s go-go outfits made of metallic plastics were peak space uniforms regardless of media.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. STO quietly renamed the Slavemaster battleship, the Orion mook battleship, to the Man'O'War battleship at some point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can't have slavery mentioned in a space genocide simulator where the featured episode main character blows up inhabited planets.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Did they fix it so you can't do the same patrol twice in a row? It just sends me back to the same instance.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

No, you can repeat a patrol. But if you're too fast, the server won't reset the instance and you'll find yourself in a completed one. Just wait 30 seconds or so before requeueing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Even better, change character so you'll also get the daily patrol bonus DIL twice. Unlike Endeavor trackers the event tracker is account-wide.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For whom it concerns, all the legendary stuff is on sale, including the big 10th anniversary one.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Have any of the DPS analysts done a review of the Malestrom Quantum Torpedoes that come with the legendary Akira? I can't tell if they have any use in any sort of torp build, or even if they're average...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Have any of the DPS analysts done a review of the Malestrom Quantum Torpedoes that come with the legendary Akira? I can't tell if they have any use in any sort of torp build, or even if they're average...

Yes. I don't have links handy and I didn't do the math myself. I understand them to be "good" but "requires micromanagement". So if you're into that then go for it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2168281/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/star-trek-online-tholian-incursion-pack-giveaway

Ground Non-Combat Pet Pack - EV Tholian Toy
Tholian Crystalline Sword
1 Elite Services Pack

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, Vanity Shields for Dilithium are back.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

It's in a weird place. The damage output is insane, but the 90s cooldown really puts a damper on things. It is definitely seeing use in the pre-made DPS teams where the 90s cooldown doesn't matter as much (the runs are so short there's no time for a second shot anyway). It's also having a lot of success with the low-DPS, don't-know-how-to-build-a-ship players. It gives them a button they can press every 90s to do real damage.

If you run it, don't put it on autofire. That'll just end up with your highest damage weapon getting used on the first little ship that gets in range. Launch them manually at big bosses, preferably when you have a high yield or torp spread queued up. In any kind of sustained battle they'll probably do worse than the typical meta torps (that 90s cooldown killing them). But if you don't mind trading off a bit of overall effectiveness for the chance to just delete a boss with a single torp spread, they're a lot of fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
New Mudd bundle.

Borg Juggernaut
Husnock Warship
So'na Dreadnought

Pass from me.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Also note that there are only seven items in the bundle.

If you buy the mega-bundle, you get all eight items.

The eighth item is Kael's incompetent editing.

The eighth item comes with every STO account.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Also note that there are only seven items in the bundle.

If you buy the mega-bundle, you get all eight items.

The eighth item is Kael's incompetent editing.

The eighth item comes with every STO account.

That guy deserves a promotion.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

revtoiletduck posted:

That guy deserves a promotion.

For those that don't get the joke, Kael is so "good" at his job that he got promoted to senior community manager over all three Cryptic games.

I guess the bright side is now NeverWinter and the last desperate remnants of Champions Online have to suffer along with us.

Gods I miss Trendy.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

For those that don't get the joke, Kael is so "good" at his job that he got promoted to senior community manager over all three Cryptic games.
My guess is that whoever had that job left the company, and rather than hire a new person they "promoted from within" by giving Kael a slight raise to do the job of 2 people.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

New Mudd bundle.

Borg Juggernaut
Husnock Warship
So'na Dreadnought

Pass from me.

Man, their Mudds bundles have been rubbish of late. This and the Khitomer Alliance Event ships are easily passable.

On the other hand, its somewhat positive that you would only have to buy the smaller "3 Item Option" option to get all the ships. Its a move away from the lovely "There are 4 ships, but only a 3 item and all 8 item Option"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's been a long road...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tigey posted:

Man, their Mudds bundles have been rubbish of late. This and the Khitomer Alliance Event ships are easily passable.

Yeah, if this coincides with another 50% Mudd sale, I'm grabbing the pilot 3-piece bundle for the Cheirax, Deimos, and Kwejian.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
That 10th Anniversary bundle is available on PlayStation now, and works out to cost about $300aud. Jesus.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

GlenMR posted:

That 10th Anniversary bundle is available on PlayStation now, and works out to cost about $300aud. Jesus.

The 10th Anniversary bundle includes 10 ships, so it works out to $30/ship. It does sound like you're getting a bit screwed on the conversion rate (typical US price is $195), but the bundle is one of the best deals Cryptic has put out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The 10th Anniversary bundle includes 10 ships, so it works out to $30/ship. It does sound like you're getting a bit screwed on the conversion rate (typical US price is $195), but the bundle is one of the best deals Cryptic has put out.

I don't think I'd call paying $30 of actual currency for a ship in this game "a good deal."

That said yeah if you've got the dill stockpiled it's a hell of a package and pretty much the last one you'll ever need. I'm still coasting on it, I cashed in all my farming savings when it launched.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think I'd call paying $30 of actual currency for a ship in this game "a good deal."

That said yeah if you've got the dill stockpiled it's a hell of a package and pretty much the last one you'll ever need. I'm still coasting on it, I cashed in all my farming savings when it launched.

Importantly: I didn't day "a good deal". I said "the best deal Cryptic has put out". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Importantly: I didn't day "a good deal". I said "the best deal Cryptic has put out". :v:

:hmmyes: