Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tried it for ~90 seconds

first of all he sounds shaken, so lmao

other than that he's just... not convincing

anyway I'll let more hardcore masochists dissect the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gorman Thomas posted:

How are they going to make a cheaper car on the 3/Y platforms. Replacing hardware/manufacturing costs with software can only get you so far on a loving vehicle.

the same way they're making cheaper cars on the platforms now: gimp the hardware, skimp on manufacturing and finishing materials, have machines do what manual labor is actually better for, and also probably they'll compromise on safety by using fewer cameras

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tesseraction posted:

I tried it for ~90 seconds

first of all he sounds shaken, so lmao

other than that he's just... not convincing

anyway I'll let more hardcore masochists dissect the rest

lol because of this i just listened to it for about 15 seconds, yeah he's shook

then i turned it off because it's elon. i'll just read a summary later, i can read in 15 seconds what he says in 90 minutes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jose Valasquez posted:

stop obsessing over daily stock changes jesus christ

no

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

It's funny that there is like zero talk about the Cybertruck. Their huge new flagship product and they're not even mentioning it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if it were any of the 89 days previous to this one we would probably agree with you
the q1 results are absolute dog poo poo for tesla, the lies elon is telling to pump the stock are on shorter and shorter timeframes

there's no long term strategy for tesla and tesla being down 36% on the year instead of 40% on the year because some wall street rubes bought his bullshit isn't going to matter in the long run

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

re: nukechat, while the science may be relatively straightforward, I think the actual construction is still way beyond anything Elon could manage. Uranium and particularly plutonium are really difficult to machine and tend to catch fire. once your plutonium is on fire, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssH9o32CZtg

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I think the actual construction is still way beyond anything Elon could manage.

a truck is way beyond anything elon can manage and I'm 90% sure trucks are easier to build

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Trillhouse posted:

It's funny that there is like zero talk about the Cybertruck. Their huge new flagship product and they're not even mentioning it.

why would they? it's a loving joke, the thing falls apart if you look at it

i'd bet there's no mention of the semi either, and it's working, it's up over $15 now:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

why would they? it's a loving joke, the thing falls apart if you look at it

i'd bet there's no mention of the semi either, and it's working, it's up over $15 now:

that still puts it below where it was a week ago

TSLA started the year at $248

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Main Paineframe posted:

that still puts it below where it was a week ago

TSLA started the year at $248

which blows my mind... there is absolutely nothing to justify a 10% gain in share price.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
re: stocks, remember: "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent".

yeah it sucks that the number didn't go down that much today but remember:

quote:

144.68 USD / -27.95 (-16.19%) past month

there have been countless signs tesla's current sales/revenue have been poo poo.

one day does not a trend make

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DarkSol posted:

which blows my mind... there is absolutely nothing to justify a 10% gain in share price.
welcome to the stock market

weird unintuitive swings happen all the time after earnings reports

this is why everyone has been saying do not try to short tesla

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
buy now while it’s cheap. it will be $2K any day now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkSol posted:

stock swings don't need reasons or justifications. it's a giant gambling parlor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zamujasa posted:

re: stocks, remember: "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent".

yeah it sucks that the number didn't go down that much today but remember:

there have been countless signs tesla's current sales/revenue have been poo poo.

one day does not a trend make

of course, this is all true. but it's not that the number didn't go down much, it's that the stock jumped 10.64% (as of this etc., not factoring in the 1.8% it closed up at) on worse than expected news, during a general downward trend that showed no sign of slowing. it's just weird

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Roosevelt posted:

buy now while it’s cheap. it will be $2K any day now.

maybe in ZWD...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

of course, this is all true. but it's not that the number didn't go down much, it's that the stock jumped 10.64% (as of this etc., not factoring in the 1.8% it closed up at) on worse than expected news, during a general downward trend that showed no sign of slowing. it's just weird

it's not really weird at all. give it a few days and watch the overall trend

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not really weird at all. give it a few days and watch the overall trend

you don't find this weird? really?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
if i was on the tesla investor call i'd ask elon to add a "degauss" button to the touchscreen, but also while thinking up this not that great joke, i realized a car with a big honkin crt embedded in the dash would be pretty sick

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Eeyo posted:

wow thank you for this financial advice. gonna put about 50k into tesla shorts.

guess i have egg on my face now

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

if i was on the tesla investor call i'd ask elon to add a "degauss" button to the touchscreen, but also while thinking up this not that great joke, i realized a car with a big honkin crt embedded in the dash would be pretty sick

just claim they'll work even after a nuclear explosion (idc if it's true) and he'll put one in.

wmd defense mode activate!

(dies from raiders looking for vape cells)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Plank Walker posted:

'92 olds toronado trofeo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jonny 290 posted:

'92 olds toronado trofeo

gently caress that rules

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

you don't find this weird? really?

no? the stock market is irrational, the tech stock market is extra irrational, and the meme stock market is pure irrationality

everyone who cared about the numbers sold days ago, because it was common knowledge that the numbers were gonna be terrible

meanwhile, all the ride-or-die Musk fanatics listened to the absurd promises Elon made during the earnings call, and then dialed up their brokers yelling "BUY BUY BUY" as soon as they'd finished washing the jizz out of their pants

i don't care enough to listen to the earnings call, but a quick skim of $TSLA twitter shows that Musk talked about a robotaxi service, claimed Tesla was gonna license FSD to other major car manufacturers, and suggested that Tesla owners would be able to rent out their car's computing power to cloud AI services when the car isn't in use

if you're dumb enough to believe that poo poo, then you're not gonna give a poo poo about today's numbers with so many amazing profit opportunities for Tesla just around the corner

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

and suggested that Tesla owners would be able to rent out their car's computing power to cloud AI services when the car isn't in use

lmao what

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Colin Rush from Oppenheimer asks what could distributed inference unlock?

CFO says the car will be used more
It might be wise to use the compute in cars to help with other AI services
Elon says its analogous to AWS over at Amazon
It seems like kind of a no brainer to use car computers to do something useful
if we get to the 100 million vehicle level, you have hardware six or seven by then
You could have over 100 gigawatts of usable compute
(This is all just back of the envelope off the cuff comments from Elon)

gigawatts of computing power....

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
where’s that from?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

meanwhile, all the ride-or-die Musk fanatics listened to the absurd promises Elon made during the earnings call, and then dialed up their brokers yelling "BUY BUY BUY" as soon as they'd finished washing the jizz out of their pants
with FSD it's ride-and-die

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

necrotic posted:

where’s that from?

a quick and dirty liveblog/transcript of today's conference call
https://www.shacknews.com/article/139611/tesla-tsla-q1-2024-earnings-call-transcript

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinterest Mom posted:

gigawatts of computing power....

just gotta get to the 100 million car level

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Main Paineframe posted:

claimed Tesla was gonna license FSD to other major car manufacturers

well, if they're going to do that, according to *checks notes* elon musk, the company is worthless

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
wow, dipshits are still pretending tesla is worth something!

i can't pretend i didn't have money in some of those dipshits, thanks to how the market works, but i can honestly say i tried not to be one of those dipshits

free market =~ garbage people. gently caress em all

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

is it good when the nodes of a high performance AI distributed computing network are all connected with residential wifi

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

thanks! wanted to share but not without some kind of source.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Juul-Whip posted:

is it good when the nodes of a high performance AI distributed computing network are all connected with residential wifi

it's potentially good for someone

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Even expecting the usual Muskery, they've got nothing.

quote:

Compares unsupervised FSD to how elevators work without operators now
Tesla will be operating the fleet
Tesla will be some combination of AirBnB and Uber
There will be some cars owned by Tesla
But some owned by some end user who chooses when their car can be used
At any time, they can have the car come back to them
Like AirBnB for cars...

Lol. Lmao, even.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Main Paineframe posted:

Tesla owners would be able to rent out their car's computing power to cloud AI services when the car isn't in use

called it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Y'all need to stop getting worked up over minute to minute after-hours stock trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nitrousoxide posted:

Y'all need to stop getting worked up over minute to minute after-hours stock trading.

worry bout your own dang self