Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

he might doing the hyperpoop thing here, i.e. making other potential competitors dump r&d money into humanoid robot research for some reason, i guess. do we know how much tesla is spending on this specifically? they might just be throwing a few "impressive" looking "demos" together to make it look like they're making progress

i mean, consider what's been seen in public so far: a man in a greenman costume dancing the charleston, and a high school robotics team project that couldn't even stand up

probably a lot more than you'd think, but a lot less than they'd actually need to

it's unlikely that Optimus is ever going to be much more than a tech demo, but Tesla has to put just enough effort into the tech demos to convince the investors that it's actually a real product

Tesla's ridiculous valuation is entirely built on the perception that it's an advanced tech company that's revolutionizing industry as we know it. so in order to maintain that valuation, he needs to constantly make these wild promises.

Tesla's basic car business alone is probably worth about 1/10th of the company's current valuation. the other 9/10ths is entirely due to investors betting on his promises of robotaxis, humanoid robots, strong AI, etc. but he cant actually deliver on those promises. all he can do is hope the investors have short memories and are easily distracted by newer, shinier promises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lmao "demumbled edition"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaxG_GWibhU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hell I didn't even know dojo existed for a long time, and I don't actually understand wtf it is other then a smokescreen to try and sound like Tesla will compete with nvidea.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Main Paineframe posted:

i don't care enough to listen to the earnings call, but a quick skim of $TSLA twitter shows that Musk talked about a robotaxi service, claimed Tesla was gonna license FSD to other major car manufacturers, and suggested that Tesla owners would be able to rent out their car's computing power to cloud AI services when the car isn't in use

if you're dumb enough to believe that poo poo, then you're not gonna give a poo poo about today's numbers with so many amazing profit opportunities for Tesla just around the corner

lol they can't even get it to work with other models of their own cars let alone someone else's

also "sir would you like to buy the optional Full Self Dying mode for your new Toyota? Wait why are you backing away from me?"

Failson posted:

Even expecting the usual Muskery, they've got nothing.

Lol. Lmao, even.

extra lol because "air BnB for cars" has existed for like 15+ years with hire by the hour

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh wait he means hire out your own car

lmao I will jizz in every single one

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

extra lol because "air BnB for cars" has existed for like 15+ years with hire by the hour

Pretty sure airbnb doesn't charge by the hour. Airbnb for cars is just a normal rental car

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Luigi Thirty posted:

no he saw “people of color” and his brain shorted out because obviously it means the foreign aid is only for black people

hes going to spend the next five months looking for the sole poor white person in sudan

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Hell I didn't even know dojo existed for a long time, and I don't actually understand wtf it is other then a smokescreen to try and sound like Tesla will compete with nvidea.

it was a big pitch a few elon hype cycles ago, when elon noticed they were spending hundreds of millions with nvidia

the guys who designed it left tesla about the time they started giving billions to nvidia (like many other high profile chip guys at tsla)

it turns out compute is hard for a lot of reasons and requires a constant cash influx for new designs and being on a cutting edge fab process

a highlight was bragging about their sv datacenter tripping a local substation at 2mw; highlighting: one of the dumbest possible places to put a dc (crazy expensive power and real estate), a high power draw for the capability they were talking about (inefficient), and low power draw for a 'big' system

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

all he can do is hope the investors have short memories and are easily distracted by newer, shinier promises

sadly it seems this is a winning strategy, which does beg the question of how these marks made enough money to invest in the first place if they're constantly betting on musk's latest beans being the ones to produce the giant beanstalk

once you make enough money to be an investor surely you should be paying someone smart to invest for you so they don't put your likely-not-even-hard-earned cash into an obvious Elonzi scheme

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

in a well actually posted:

it turns out compute is hard for a lot of reasons and requires a constant cash influx for new designs and being on a cutting edge fab process

should be simple for a man of elon's genius ergo it is actually simple and everyone else is wrong

hope that helps clarify the situation, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tesseraction posted:

sadly it seems this is a winning strategy, which does beg the question of how these marks made enough money to invest in the first place if they're constantly betting on musk's latest beans being the ones to produce the giant beanstalk

once you make enough money to be an investor surely you should be paying someone smart to invest for you so they don't put your likely-not-even-hard-earned cash into an obvious Elonzi scheme

reminder: cathie wood is investing other people's money

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Nitrousoxide posted:

Y'all need to stop getting worked up over minute to minute after-hours stock trading.

or just stop constantly barking at the stock price in general. It's a meme stock now, by definition divorced from any economic reality, and has been for like 10 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

infernal machines posted:

reminder: cathie wood is investing other people's money

that's why I said hire someone smart

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Air B&B for cars is Turo

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

mrmcd posted:

or just stop constantly barking at the stock price in general. It's a meme stock now, by definition divorced from any economic reality, and has been for like 10 years.

I would agree... except for the fact that my retirement and savings are placed in index funds where this piece of poo poo company is included by default so i do actually care about it dropping so low that it gets removed from the index

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lol I can see "just: tesla to speed up delivery of affordable model" headlines which is great - total admission of CEO incompetence but also zero information on what it is or when or how it will actually compete with existing cheaper models from other manufacturers that don't look like they were made by children

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

refleks posted:

I would agree... except for the fact that my retirement and savings are placed in index funds where this piece of poo poo company is included by default so i do actually care about it dropping so low that it gets removed from the index

It's like 1% of the s&p index. Which is still higher than the correct amount (0%) but not worth the time to get mad about it being in your SPY/VOO shares especially if you're not planning on touching them for 30 years.

edit: also in those 30 years you're going to be swept along by the tide of dozens of other market trends some equally stupid. The whole thesis of passive index investing is that over a decades long timeframe nobody can consistently pick out the winners from the losers so you might as well buy all of it.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 24, 2024

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I will not. I want elon to lose everything

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
time to launch that 's&p500 except for tesla' etf

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gschmidl posted:

zentai suit

ahh that was the term i kept drawing a blank on lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

it's pretty much the same as the tech/startup bubble in general, as well as the crypto bubble (Musk draws from both pools)

these people have so much money that they can afford to throw a few hundred thousand at every single bean-seller they meet. it's basically pocket change for them. they figure that if even one of those bean-sellers ends up producing a giant beanstalk that leads to a goose laying golden eggs, the payoff will more than make up for all the money they blew on vastly overpriced beans

they don't want to miss out on the possibility of getting in early on the next Apple or the next Amazon. but they don't actually know how to tell which companies are going to be the next Apple or the next Amazon, so they just throw money at every smooth-talking self-proclaimed tech guy who asks for it. and that's why no matter how bad the numbers look for Tesla, there's always gonna be a fair number of money people who can't bear to pull their money out for fear of missing out on Tesla's iPhone moment

of course, there's a limit even to those people's tolerance, and a lot of the smart money has noticed by now that Musk's promises are mostly bullshit. but he's also attracted a lot of the crypto fanboys who had any money left after the NFT bubble popped, and we all know those people have awful judgment. plus, now that he's openly and blatantly using his money to pull politics to the right, there's no shortage of wealthy libertarian failsons willing to invest their trust funds into the guy who's gonna save civilization from the woke menace

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

what percentage of the stock is owned by the small time retail bazingas?

like i’m thinking about gamestop, where there’s so many delusional bagholders that the price can float pretty high even after it’s clear there’s nothing left. in that case it’s not like the price can move down that much because there’s enough people holding and willing to grab the falling knife.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

After market traders with sell orders for 1 nanosecond after the market opens. It’s gonna tank tomorrow morning.

i didn't think this would happen and gave it about an hour of trading to be fair to you. nah:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
put another way, it's actually far up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

what percentage of the stock is owned by the small time retail bazingas?

like i’m thinking about gamestop, where there’s so many delusional bagholders that the price can float pretty high even after it’s clear there’s nothing left. in that case it’s not like the price can move down that much because there’s enough people holding and willing to grab the falling knife.

institutional holdings are 43.73%, so if we round that to 44%, obviously you get 56%. but that's not accounting for insider holdings, i.e. elon's stake and the board's, etc.

considering elon himself owns roughly 11%, and board members alone having small single-digit percentages, plus executives etc. — i think we can safely say there are very likely fewer retail investors than institutional ones

e: not that it's abnormal for a high-cap publicly traded company to have that kind of ratio or anything, it's unironically not

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

put another way, it's actually far up

the market can remain irrational indeed

I saw reports that Uber and Lyft saw their share price drop and it was put down to the robo-taxi claim, so again, these investors are the dumbest loving gullible clowns

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

interesting https://bradmunchen.substack.com/p/tesla-q1-results-a-shady-set-of-numbers

by looking at the average unit price increasing despite the myriad price cuts musk made, Brad suspects musk is using FSD deferred revenue to pad the results, making a back of the napkin estimate of $700mn assuming the difference between the unit price increase and what it should have fallen by

he admits that's highly speculative but the numbers as shown were screaming something was amiss, and he says the 10-Q form they have to release next week will show the actual figure

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Would Elon just lie?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sickening posted:

Would Elon just lie?

About what Tesla is going to do in the future or how capable the cars are right now? Absolutely. About actual accounting numbers? No way, they're public with huge teams preparing their reports. There's room for a lot of creative bullshit but I'll eat my hat if there's actual Enron-ish accounting fraud. Tesla's stock price was always sky high despite their financial results being unimpressive, they don't need good financials.

When Musk says the robot is going to suck you off the stock will shoot above $200 again.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Sadly not as true as I hoped.

https://theshovel.com.au/2024/04/23/elon-musk-dead-at-52-misinformation-laws/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i think you'll find my title is master of coin so your cfo rules don't w

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I apologize for thinking a company losing $7,000,000,000 in profit would make number go down. I will personally see to it that I am put on a PiP post-haste. :negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I understand that a lot of people are inexplicably fascinated by what happens with Tesla's stock price, but I don't understand why.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I understand that a lot of people are inexplicably fascinated by what happens with Tesla's stock price, but I don't understand why.

Number go up: Bad!
Number go down: Good!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

people are inexplicably fascinated with horoscopes too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah it’s just sports basically. elon musk (and therefore tesla) is like the patriots and i want to see it lose because that will make me feel better

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

interesting https://bradmunchen.substack.com/p/tesla-q1-results-a-shady-set-of-numbers

by looking at the average unit price increasing despite the myriad price cuts musk made, Brad suspects musk is using FSD deferred revenue to pad the results, making a back of the napkin estimate of $700mn assuming the difference between the unit price increase and what it should have fallen by

he admits that's highly speculative but the numbers as shown were screaming something was amiss, and he says the 10-Q form they have to release next week will show the actual figure

https://www.sec.gov/files/litigation/complaints/2007/comp20333.pdf

quote:

Starting no later than October 2000, Nortel responded to market pressures by
engaging in a fraudulent accounting scheme in which it (i) primed Wall Street’s expectations by
issuing unrealistic financial guidance and (ii) then used accounting adjustments that did not
comport with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”), to move its
revenues and earnings upward or downward as necessary to meet Wall Street’s unrealistic
expectations.

quote:

In November of 2000, Nortel altered its revenue recognition policies to accelerate
into 2000 revenues (particularly revenues of its optical internet business) as needed to meet its
quarterly and annual revenue guidance, and to hide the worsening condition of its business. Bill
and hold transactions were at the center of the scheme. US GAAP permits a company to
recognize revenues prior to the delivery of a product if the transaction meets certain specific
criteria. In the second quarter of 2000, Nortel banned the use of bill and hold transactions
company-wide, but, after its revenues fell significantly short of expectations in the third quarter
of 2000, it reintroduced bill and hold transactions into its sales and accounting practices.

this loving around immediately made me think of what nortel was doing before it imploded

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a :canada: success story

them and bre-x i guess

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

a :canada: success story

them and bre-x i guess

nortel at least had a product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tesseraction posted:

while i haven't read that piece yet, yeah it's definitely interesting and i wouldn't be surprised if it were true — people itt have been speculating that for at least the past 6 months, if not longer (the continual price adjustments are certainly odd). what's pretty funny about it is that if it is true, tesla's YoY net profit for the quarter is actually down somewhere around 80+% lol