Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I find this very triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I find this very triggering.

Yeah the way they poo poo on O'Brien and leave him out of group photos because he's a non-com is ridiculous.

Letting counselor Troi become a commander after she solved the core breach simulation was farcical.

Of course you send Geordi to his death by radiation exposure. You should have tried that right off the bat,

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
SubG is referencing his extreme love for the Star Trek franchise and especially TNG, his thoughts compiled by forums user Ror like last month!! https://www.dropbox.com/s/61bpv05g5wocq86/subgtrek.html?dl=0

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has there been a better single year for movies than 1999, before or since?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_film

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just skimming that "notable" list my top five for 1999 would be something like:

Ghost Dog
The Limey
The Matrix
Being John Malkovich
The Straight Story

…and four of those five aren't even my favorite movies by the people that directed them. A lot of times people's "best year" in movies just ends up being the year they were 12. You can read a bunch of essays here where people talk about their favorites, it's all subjective.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not saying every movie made in 1999 was the best movie by that director or best movie starring those actors, but taking a year as an arbitrary unit of time, I can't think of any other year, considered as a whole, that was better than 1999.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's cool and fine for you but plenty of other people think the same thing about every other year so it's kind of a pointless thing ya know?

Also 1999 gave us The Phantom Menace so you know, disqualified....

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well that's why I was asking people's opinions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a question: what makes you think that is the best year for film? Even of the decade?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

More movies that are good or significant in some way than any other year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

More movies that are good or significant in some way than any other year.

Right, but what are specific examples of films that you consider to be elevating that year above others? The wikipedia link you provided is comprehensive, but not qualitative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Elaborate. Which movies? Compare it to say, 1994, or 2007. Does it remotely stack up to 1976, for example?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm not saying every movie made in 1999 was the best movie by that director or best movie starring those actors, but taking a year as an arbitrary unit of time, I can't think of any other year, considered as a whole, that was better than 1999.
Better years, IMHO: 1979 (Apocalypse Now, Stalker, Manhattan, Alien, Life of Brian, Mad Max, Being There), 1980 (Empire Strikes Back, Raging Bull, Airplane, Bad Timing, Kagemusha, Blues Brothers), 1968 (2001, The Producers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes, Faces, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, Stolen Kisses), 1950 (All About Eve, In a Lonely Place, Sunset Blvd., Rashomon, Winchester '73, Los Olvidados, The Gunfighter), 2013 (Twelve Years a Slave, Hard to be a God, Spring Breakers ,Inside Llewyn Davis, Before Midnight, Upstream Color), 1989 (Heathers, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, Do the Right Thing, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, The Killer, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Abyss, Say Anything, When Harry Met Sally...), 1962 (Cleo from 5 to 7, Il Sorpasso, Harakiri, Jules et Jim, L'Eclisse, The Longest Day, Vivre Sa Vie, Lawrence of Arabia, La Jetee, The Trial, The Exterminating Angel, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance), etc....

Basically:

FishBulb posted:

That's cool and fine for you but plenty of other people think the same thing about every other year so it's kind of a pointless thing ya know?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snak posted:

Right, but what are specific examples of films that you consider to be elevating that year above others? The wikipedia link you provided is comprehensive, but not qualitative.

I am thinking in the sense of how many movies that were significant in some way, not always because they were good ones. Sort of a big movies per pound kind of thing. I mean just scanning over that list you see

The Thin Red Line
Rushmore
Office Space
Analyze This
Cruel Intentions
The Matrix
The Mummy
Election
Star Wars I
Notting Hill
Austin Powers 2
South Park movie
Wild Wild West
American Pie
The Blair Witch Project
The Sixth Sense
American Beauty
Boys Don't Cry
Fight Club
Pokemon I
Toy Story 2
The Cider House Rules
The Green Mile
Magnolia

I don't like every one of those movies but they were all pretty important. That's not a comprehensive list by far.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If Cruel Intentions and the Pokemon movie are the baseline for significant, you can turn out similar lists for most years. Like basically just Hollywood's output for 1982:

48 Hours
Basket Case
The Beastmaster
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Blade Runner
Conan The Barbarian
Creepshow
The Dark Crystal
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Death Wish II
Diner
E.T. The Extraterrestrial and His Adventures on Earth
Fanny and Alexander
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
First Blood
Forbidden Zone
Ghandi
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Koyaanisqatsi
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Night Shift
An Officer and a Gentleman
One From The Heart
Poltergeist
Porky's
Rocky III
The Secret of NIMH
Sophie's Choice
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Swamp Thing
The Thing
Tootsie
Trail of the Pink Panther
Tron
The Verdict
The Wall
White Dog
The World According to Garp
The Year of Living Dangerously
Zapped!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hey, that's a pretty good year also.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

I am thinking in the sense of how many movies that were significant in some way, not always because they were good ones. Sort of a big movies per pound kind of thing. I mean just scanning over that list you see

<snip>

I don't like every one of those movies but they were all pretty important. That's not a comprehensive list by far.

Austen Powers 2 is "pretty important"? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but you haven't given any criteria for movies being significant, so all you're doing is making arbitrary claims. I'm certainly open to the idea of 1999 as a great year for films, but you haven't really made any kind of non tautological argument.

I mean, even for the same decade, I probably prefer 1997:

Titanic
Men in Black
Liar Liar
Jackie Chan's First Strike
Star Wars re-release (that's "important" right?)
Dante's Peak
Anaconda
Grosse Point Blank
The Fifth Element
Jurrassic Park 2 (I don't like this film or think it's good, but it's at least as important as Wild Wild West)
Con Air
Face/Off
G.I. Jane
L.A. Confidential
Seven Years in Tibet
Gattaca
Starship Troopers
Amistad
Jackie Brown
Cube
Good Will Hunting

I don't think anyone is trying to attack you for saying that 1999 was a great year, it's just that you aren't doing much to convince us.

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!
I personally prefer 1994. That was a really good year. It graced us with such films as Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Leon: The Professional, The Lion King, and most important of all Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
1999 being a notable year in moviedom isn't an unusual opinion. I remember even at the time hearing in press stories that collectively the releases that year were received exceptionally well. I also definitely remember a lot of "why can't 2000 be more like 1999" type of chatter the following year.

Using my powerful scientific and statistical analysis abilities, I seem to get more relevant results googling "1999 a great year for movies" than doing the same for other years.

I don't have any particular strong opinion on this, just throwing the guy a bone; he's definitely not alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, but so what. You gotta give me something better than fuckin' Analyze This, Austin Powers 2 and The Cider House Rules if you're talking about how it was just a banner year for movies.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You guys are forgetting 2007

These are all taken from Wikipedia's Wide Release list so don't shoot me. I just didn't want to go through IMDB's 124,000 item list.

Good movies (in chronological order)

Zodiac
Hot Fuzz
Ratatouille
Rescue Dawn
Sunshine
Sicko
The Bourne Ultimatum
Hot Rod (*)
3:10 to Yuma
Shoot 'Em Up
Eastern Promises
Into The Wild
Michael Clayton
Gone Baby Gone
No Country For Old Men
The Mist
Charlie Wilson's War
There Will Be Blood

Noteworthy movies (in chronological order)

Bridge to Terabithia (*)
Black Snake Moan (*)
Reign Over Me (*)
Blades of Glory (*)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (*)
Bug (*)
28 Weeks Later
Ocean's 13
Transformers
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (*)
I Know Who Killed Me (*)
Rush Hour 3
Superbad
Balls Of Fury (*)
Across the Universe
The Darjeeling Limited (heh)
In the Valley of Elah
The Kingdom (*)
Why Did I Get Married? (*)
Things We Lost in the Fire
Dan in Real Life (*)
American Gangster
Bee Movie (*)
Hitman
Juno
I Am Legend
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Alien Vs Predator Requiem (*)

(*) - Ain't seen it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This year has Fury Road and a new SW.

That's pretty good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

You guys are forgetting 2007

<snip>

Noteworthy movies (in chronological order)

Bridge to Terabithia (*)
Black Snake Moan (*)
Reign Over Me (*)
Blades of Glory (*)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (*)
Bug (*)
28 Weeks Later
Ocean's 13
Transformers
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (*)
I Know Who Killed Me (*)
Rush Hour 3
Superbad
Balls Of Fury (*)
Across the Universe
The Darjeeling Limited (heh)
In the Valley of Elah
The Kingdom (*)
Why Did I Get Married? (*)
Things We Lost in the Fire
Dan in Real Life (*)
American Gangster
Bee Movie (*)
Hitman
Juno
I Am Legend
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Alien Vs Predator Requiem (*)

(*) - Ain't seen it
Bolded titles that stretch the definition of "noteworthy"
Mostly because this is a fun game, a not because of overly pedantic judgementalism.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

All years are good movie years (1890 to present.)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Snak posted:

Bolded titles that stretch the definition of "noteworthy"
Mostly because this is a fun game, a not because of overly pedantic judgementalism.

I am fully prepared to defend every item on this list, hahaha

I Know Who Killed Me - A pile of hot garbage in epic proportions. The last we really saw of Lindsey Lohan, and a there was blue arm that kills people (I think?). Definitely noteworthy

Rush Hour 3 - The last we'd see of Chris Tucker for 5 years and the last time Jackie Chan was popular in the States. I would say his last good movie, but I just don't know.

Hitman - If I'm remembering this correctly, one of the first attempts to do a good job at making a video game movie. It failed of course.

Alien Vs Predator Requiem - Didn't have the memorable tagline of the first, but it was a good, gory return to R-rated form. I think some goons in CineD liked it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

How the gently caress is Dan In Real Life noteworthy?

E: and I guess you could call I Know Who Killed Me noteworthy in the same way as Birdemic where the public reaction was noteworthy, but AVPR? Nah.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snak posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to attack you for saying that 1999 was a great year, it's just that you aren't doing much to convince us.

I don't think anyone was trying to attack me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, but so what. You gotta give me something better than fuckin' Analyze This, Austin Powers 2 and The Cider House Rules if you're talking about how it was just a banner year for movies.

Here's some I left off my last list, all of which I have personally enjoyed and will go to bat for:

A Civil Action
Affliction
A Walk on the Moon
October Sky
The Straight Story
Dick
Bowfinger
Three Kings
The Insider
Dogma
Mansfield Park
Sleepy Hollow
Man on the Moon
Galaxy Quest
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ride with the Devil
Angela's Ashes

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dogma is probably the most significant, given that it was Kevin Smith's peak as a director, but I'm not sure about the rest. Maybe Galaxy Quest, but I'm iffy on that.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I Before E posted:

E: and I guess you could call I Know Who Killed Me noteworthy in the same way as Birdemic where the public reaction was noteworthy, but AVPR? Nah.

I am not prepared to defend Dan In Real Life

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Your 2007 list reminded me that 1999 also had a movie called Sunshine, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Everyone should watch it if they haven't, it's got Ralph Fiennes playing three separate roles, three men in three generations. It's the movie equivalent of one of those giant airport novels about the struggles of a big family over the years. This family in Sunshine is Hungarian, and jewish, and the setting is Budapest between the 1890's and 1950's.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

I am fully prepared to defend every item on this list, hahaha

I Know Who Killed Me - A pile of hot garbage in epic proportions. The last we really saw of Lindsey Lohan, and a there was blue arm that kills people (I think?). Definitely noteworthy

Rush Hour 3 - The last we'd see of Chris Tucker for 5 years and the last time Jackie Chan was popular in the States. I would say his last good movie, but I just don't know.

Hitman - If I'm remembering this correctly, one of the first attempts to do a good job at making a video game movie. It failed of course.

Alien Vs Predator Requiem - Didn't have the memorable tagline of the first, but it was a good, gory return to R-rated form. I think some goons in CineD liked it.

I guess we just have pretty different definitions of noteworthy, because you are including things that are only "noteworthy" for how much people didn't care and immediately forgot about them.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't think anyone was trying to attack me.

Here's some I left off my last list, all of which I have personally enjoyed and will go to bat for:

A Civil Action
Affliction
A Walk on the Moon
October Sky
The Straight Story
Dick
Bowfinger
Three Kings
The Insider
Dogma
Mansfield Park
Sleepy Hollow
Man on the Moon
Galaxy Quest
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ride with the Devil
Angela's Ashes

You are winning me over. Bolded films that I love.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I Before E posted:

Dogma is probably the most significant, given that it was Kevin Smith's peak as a director, but I'm not sure about the rest. Maybe Galaxy Quest, but I'm iffy on that.

I posted my "significant" list earlier, that second list was responding to the dude who seemed to want a list of actual good movies. That second list is only movies that were not on the first list, that I've actually seen, and that I actually think are good. Even with those strictures I found 17 drat movies without trying.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I Before E posted:

I never saw Dan In Real Life but the image of Carrell's sad face lying on a bunch of pancakes is seared into my brain for some reason, so I'll give it that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

I never saw Dan In Real Life but the image of Carrell's sad face lying on a bunch of pancakes is seared into my brain for some reason, so I'll give it that.

It took you saying this for me to realize that Dan In Real Life is not Lars and the Real Girl. Which is not Jeff Who Lives At Home. I wasn't getting these movies actually confused, I just had never bothered to for clear mental images of them and stuffed them all in the same memory cubby.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The short time when mumblecore entered the mainstream. There were also 3 middling Iraq war movies on that 2007 Wikipedia list alone.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here, I went through the alphabetic 1999 list and found movies that I've seen that were on neither of my first two lists. These are movies I've seen and liked but some are kind of hard to defend. Again, I definitely enjoyed all of these, some even had a huge impact on me, but there's a few stinkers on this list.

10 Things I Hate About You
The 13th Warrior
Any Given Sunday
Arlington Road
The Big Kahuna
Blast from the Past
Breakfast of Champions
But I'm a Cheerleader
Cradle Will Rock
Detroit Rock City
EDtv
eXistenZ
The Haunting
Jesus' Son
Liberty Heights
Light It Up
Mumford
The Ninth Gate
Payback
Snow Falling on Cedars
Stir of Echoes
Teaching Mrs. Tingle
Titus
Topsy-Turvy
The Virgin Suicides
Wakko's Wish
The War Zone

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
I'm on an eight hour train and a little wiki research project sounds fun.

The Masters -

Primarily and most obviously, 1999 saw Stanley Kubrick's first in twelve years and final film Eyes Wide Shut

Paul Thomas Anderson put out his third feature, Magnolia.

Milos Forman made Man on the Moon which I think was the second dramatic role for Jim Carrey after the Truman show, so it kind of cemented that dramatic turn as not a fluke, maybe.

Pedro almodovar won his first Oscar with All About My Mother

Idk if Thin Red Line is considered '98 or '99 but it was Malick's first movie in two decades.

Masters subcategory: The Davids -

David Fincher made Fight Club which was pretty cool I guess and David Cronenberg returned to scifi after crash and some weird romance that I haven't seen, with Existenz .

The Newcomers -

The Blair Witch Project became one of the most successful indie films of all time, kicking off found footage as a horror subgenre and helping further the "just go make your loving movie" ethos.

The Matrix launched a new era of scifi or something and invented bullet time I think.

The Sixth Sense announced the arrival of M. Night Shyamalan and only lost to jar wars at the box office.

On that note, the aforementioned three original properties held three spots in the year's box office top ten along with a couple other originals like loving Big Daddy .

Spike Jonze made his first feature, Being John Malkovich, Criterion.

We also got Sofia coppolas directorial debut, the Virgin suicides, of which I will pull out of my rear end the opinion that it popularized the dream pop film aesthetic.

Lynne Ramsay's first movie, Ratcatcher, which would go on to be deemed criterion as gently caress.

The Miscellany -

I haven't seen Girl, Interrupted but it seems like a solid movie with an ensemble female cast.

Office Space and American Pie are probably kind of influential in their respective comedy subgenres.

The South Park movie and boondock saints are probably significant somehow.

The Iron Giant is chill and Toy Story 2 is the first Pixar sequel and poo poo and it was pretty good! It's the first movie I remember citing as 100% on rotten tomatoes which is 90% meaningless.

Also Tarzan pioneered use of a new animating program that helped things in 2d films look more 3d or something, which seems weird with things like toy Story happening but I'm ignorant regarding animation.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is pretty good.

American Beauty is something.

-

Ok I'm on mobile and got lazy toward the end and I'm not really arguing for this year over others but it does indeed seem like it was a pretty loving great year to be a frequent moviegoer.

marblize fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 14, 2015