Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going to get this. It's only $150 at Amazon.

I will take it out of your hide if this thing is unbearable poo poo!

Why would you get it instead of a 2013 Nexus 7? I'm legitimately curious, as "good cheap 7 inch tablet" is a category entirely owned (still) by the Nexus, afaik.

From a relevant review of the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 when it came out: "And while the 2013 Nexus 7 is a bit old and no longer available directly from Google, you can still grab a 16GB version from Amazon for $180, and a 32GB version for just $240 -- either one would make for a far more satisfying experience. The Nexus 7 will also receive the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, ultimately offering the best Android experience for around $200." It's going to be cheaper than $150 at this point, too. Edit: New 16gb model for $150 from Amazon with Prime shipping, not bad!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would you get it instead of a 2013 Nexus 7? I'm legitimately curious, as "good cheap 7 inch tablet" is a category entirely owned (still) by the Nexus, afaik.

From a relevant review of the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 when it came out: "And while the 2013 Nexus 7 is a bit old and no longer available directly from Google, you can still grab a 16GB version from Amazon for $180, and a 32GB version for just $240 -- either one would make for a far more satisfying experience. The Nexus 7 will also receive the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, ultimately offering the best Android experience for around $200." It's going to be cheaper than $150 at this point, too. Edit: New 16gb model for $150 from Amazon with Prime shipping, not bad!

Because I "need" it today (leaving town for the next few days), and I can get the Samsung from a store a block away who will price match Amazon.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It sucks that you need it today because Gamestop.com currently has them for $100. http://www.gamestop.com/android/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-70/114304

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Get the 8 inch if you need it for pdf, and they have it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My parents have the Galaxy Tab 4 7" - it's good. It's due to get Lollipop within the next couple months.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EugeneJ posted:

My parents have the Galaxy Tab 4 7" - it's good. It's due to get Lollipop within the next couple months.
So it's only 9-10 months behind?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

So it's only 9-10 months behind?

No one (almost) cares.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have anything good to say about any of these less than $200 tablets? There's a decent variety of them out there. I want one that I will be using 80% of the time for reading books and papers.

Looks like you already found your tablet, but I think there's some good options in this price range. Costco in my area has been selling the Acer Iconia 8 for $150. 8" 1920x1200 screen, 2GB RAM, and it has an microHDMI output. If the screen was a bit larger I'd be tempted to buy it. I'd really like something in the 9-10" range to replace my Nook HD+. I want something that's at least that big for reading PDF's.

Dell's 7000 series look really good, but they're still pricey. The 8" model was on sale for under $200 refurbished from Dell Outlet a couple weeks ago.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Looks like you already found your tablet, but I think there's some good options in this price range. Costco in my area has been selling the Acer Iconia 8 for $150. 8" 1920x1200 screen, 2GB RAM, and it has an microHDMI output. If the screen was a bit larger I'd be tempted to buy it. I'd really like something in the 9-10" range to replace my Nook HD+. I want something that's at least that big for reading PDF's.

Dell's 7000 series look really good, but they're still pricey. The 8" model was on sale for under $200 refurbished from Dell Outlet a couple weeks ago.

That Acer is tempting going by the specs, but the few reviews I took a look at suggest it's sluggish.

I mean, I've already bought the Samsung, but I'm not opposed to getting something else later...particularly if I decide 7" is too small.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I've pretty much concluded I want a Nokia N1 (Taiwan version with gapps), any reason not to get one?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...00-price-point/

ASUS just released their 8" 4:3 tablet. 2048 x 1536 resolution screen. 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, 1.83GHz Intel Atom chip (Same proc and RAM as the $200 Zenfone 2). I'll be curious to see reviews, but it looks like a serious contender for best sub-$200 tablet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...00-price-point/

ASUS just released their 8" 4:3 tablet. 2048 x 1536 resolution screen. 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, 1.83GHz Intel Atom chip (Same proc and RAM as the $200 Zenfone 2). I'll be curious to see reviews, but it looks like a serious contender for best sub-$200 tablet.

4:3. Goddammit.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Still waiting for my Nexus 10 refresh :negative:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 13, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So anyway, I spent the weekend reading on my new Tab 4 7. The negative thing about it is that it's pretty sluggish...and I'm comparing it to my 2013 Moto X. I mean, I don't really know how it compares to other sub-200 dollar tablets, but I definitely found myself being irritated by the jankiness whenever I did anything other than just reading books and papers. On the other hand it was just $150 and I got it mostly for reading books and papers. The screen is fine, the build quality is surprisingly good for $150. I mean, yeah, it's plastic and slippery, but it seems put together well. It looks fairly good.

Some PDFs work great, some are pretty janky (using the Drive PDF viewer).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

So anyway, I spent the weekend reading on my new Tab 4 7. The negative thing about it is that it's pretty sluggish...and I'm comparing it to my 2013 Moto X. I mean, I don't really know how it compares to other sub-200 dollar tablets, but I definitely found myself being irritated by the jankiness whenever I did anything other than just reading books and papers. On the other hand it was just $150 and I got it mostly for reading books and papers. The screen is fine, the build quality is surprisingly good for $150. I mean, yeah, it's plastic and slippery, but it seems put together well. It looks fairly good.

Some PDFs work great, some are pretty janky (using the Drive PDF viewer).

Thermopyle posted:

Does not compute. 4:3 is great for reading, unless your current reading binge is a short term thing. Also try the official Adobe Reader app, it works great. None of the ones I've tried built into other apps (Box, Drive) are as smooth or good.

Also yeah, sluggish and stuttery is what you get with budget Samsung tablets :) I imagine a 2013 Nexus 7 is a good deal better, and any other stock Android tablets that aren't using completely poo poo internals probably are too.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Thermopyle posted:

4:3 definitely isn't for everybody, but it can be pretty nice. I'm more upset by the fact that it's got multiple SKUs with different specs, and no info on if any of those other than the one with 2GB of RAM will ever be available in the US. I'd be tempted to buy the 64/4 version if it came here.

Or, you know, Nvidia could get their poo poo moving on releasing a refresh of the Shield Tablet with an X1. That'd be ideal.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

As I understand it the X1 requires wall power and a cooling fan. Unless you're asking for a cut-down / slower version.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm just hoping for a good upgrade option for when my 2013 Nexus 7 finally goes the way of all flesh. Right now I'm leaning toward another N7 or a Shield, but something new and shiny would be nice. Hopefully it won't be an issue for a while.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stop making 4:3 tablets you stupid loving companies

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

Stop making 4:3 tablets you stupid loving companies

But I like 4:3 tablets....I've never met anyone that likes 16:9 tablets outside of this thread. Go figure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

But I like 4:3 tablets....I've never met anyone that likes 16:9 tablets outside of this thread. Go figure.
It's because people in this thread only use their tablets for watching pirated animes, so of course they prefer 16:9.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I like 4:3 tablets, but it is true, I don't use my tablet for watching pirated animes.

4:3 is nice for browsing and reading.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

16:9 / 16:10 are closest to comic book pages which is all I ever do with my tablet other than play some games. Also there hasn't been a god drat 4:3 tv made for like 10 years so why is it the new thing for tablets idgi

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Rastor posted:

As I understand it the X1 requires wall power and a cooling fan. Unless you're asking for a cut-down / slower version.

According to Nvidia, the X1 has peak draw of 10W, and the K1 peaks at 11W, so that shouldn't be an issue. The cooling might be, but Nvidia explicitly classes it as mobile and has mentioned that it's going to be used in tablets at some point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4:3 on android sucks. If you thought the layout situation on apps was dire with a 16:10 tablet, it's even worse in 4:3.

My main beef with the Nexus 9 form factor is that it's too big. It's not a comfortable one handed device like the N7 was. The extra width due to it being 4:3 makes it unwieldy.

3:2 is superior to 4:3 for reading anyways and is a better compromise for watching video content. 4:3 is good at nothing other than watching old TV shows.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So what actually are the options for 10 inch 16:10 (or 16:9) Android tablets at the moment? Just the Tab S 10.5 or an old Nexus 10?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Konsek posted:

So what actually are the options for 10 inch 16:10 (or 16:9) Android tablets at the moment? Just the Tab S 10.5 or an old Nexus 10?
I feel like the only person who has an Xperia Z2 tablet, but it blows away all iPads and Android tablets I've owned, which is a nearly hotsauce number of devices. Three's a Z4 tablet out now too I think.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Serious question about Android games on a 4:3 tablet: do they scale, or does part of the screen go unused? I know that apps and games scale for different resolutions, but I don't know how that works when the screen has a different ratio.

edit: I guess since most Android games are also on iOS, they would probably just be built to support 4:3

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
There is the Dell option, but it's not technically stock (and has Intel chipset plus wonky camera). There's a 10.5" version of their 8.4, and both have front-firing speakers with a solid build.

Trigger warning for goons who use tablets for Photoshop: OLED displays, but still 2650x1600 at either size.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Does not compute. 4:3 is great for reading, unless your current reading binge is a short term thing. Also try the official Adobe Reader app, it works great. None of the ones I've tried built into other apps (Box, Drive) are as smooth or good.

Also yeah, sluggish and stuttery is what you get with budget Samsung tablets :) I imagine a 2013 Nexus 7 is a good deal better, and any other stock Android tablets that aren't using completely poo poo internals probably are too.

All else being equal, 4:3 is better for reading, but it's not substantially better. I find it easier to hold a 16:9/10 tablet and Android apps are shittier on 4:3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Meh, I'm just going to return this and get a Nexus 7 now that I'm not under a time crunch. AFAIK, there's still not anything as good as it considering you can still get them for 150.

I mean, I've reached the point in my life that I'm not terribly concerned about having vanilla Android, but I don't see anything even coming close to the specs and performance of the N7 under $200 unless I'm just missing something...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Sorry to hear that you didn't like the tab enough to keep it. I haven't noticed it being sluggish at all really, but I came from a 2012 nexus 7 so I might be a bit skewed on that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the tab enough to keep it. I haven't noticed it being sluggish at all really, but I came from a 2012 nexus 7 so I might be a bit skewed on that.

It's not bad, and I definitely would keep it of the N7 wasn't an option for the same price.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We got an LG G Pad 7.0 v410 16GB for free since AT&T hosed up our billing. Should we root it? Is there anything we'll want to use it for other than a glorified e-reader? I'm coming from iOS but I did jailbreak back in the day.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

We got an LG G Pad 7.0 v410 16GB for free since AT&T hosed up our billing. Should we root it? Is there anything we'll want to use it for other than a glorified e-reader? I'm coming from iOS but I did jailbreak back in the day.

Imagine if the 2012 Nexus 7 didn't break down from flash rot, and had a Qualcomm chip and SD card slot. Performance-wise that's a V410.

It also has an LG framework rather than an AOSP-alike, and AT&T won't let LG let the KDZ (manufacturer firmware image) files loose, and no one knows if AT&T will even bother certifying a 5.x at some point. If you root (and yes, you can root and CM12.1 pretty easy), at least for the time being, you probably can't unroot - even an XDA stock-alike image will be prerooted - meaning you're waiting for a 5.0 stock-alike or KDZ to slip someday maybe.

Also before you say free you may want to make sure they aren't charging you :10bux: a month for a data-only line for it.

For future reference, this is a rooted thread question.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tab S2 is official. 8" and 9.7" variants. 4:3. It goes down in resolution from last year's model (2048x1536) and has a one year old processor in it (same that was in the Note 4).

So, yeah, kinda lovely.

These are dark times for Android tablets my friends, dark times.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've about had it with my 2012 N7. Lollipop makes it suck. Click on a link, go get a snack from the kitchen, come back, and MAYBE it'll be loaded by then.

Stupid bastard tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nostratic posted:

I've about had it with my 2012 N7. Lollipop makes it suck. Click on a link, go get a snack from the kitchen, come back, and MAYBE it'll be loaded by then.

Stupid bastard tablet.

Unfortunately, chrome isn't much more responsive on their flagship Nexus 9.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am going to need to purchase some Android Verizon LTE tablets for work. They will be used by Sales and Shipping. The only requirements are Bluetooth, rear camera, Android 5.0+, and 8" or bigger screen which seems to come standard on everything now.

edit: really don't want to have to buy ipads because that would mean i would write iOS apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nokia N1 GPE early impressions: it's seriously slick. This is your 4:3 Nexus 8 from last year.