Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MrSargent posted:

Nice! I'm on this part now too. Just need Targin and Raster for my RotLC.

Getting Zephyl to spawn turned out to be the most time-consuming part of the whole quest. Took 5 goddamn hours of killing the PH every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Elephunk posted:

But a very dangerous AFK game while charming...

Yea definitely do not AFK with a charmed pet unless you have someone to watch it for you and protect you if it breaks.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Don’t roll an enchanter as first class no matter what you do any decision is better. They are the most powerful class and most easy to gently caress up due to inexperience. People on TLPs aren’t patient for newbies, especially ones that expect you to lockdown 5 mobs a pull while maintaining a charm pet with minimal if any breaks for 4 hour sessions.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat I love this game. It’s amazing how every few years I can get hopelessly addicted for like a month or two and then one day I just lose all interest and can’t even force myself to play anymore.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I got stuck in the world today. 20 years and you can’t fix that ladder in OOT?

By the way, what is the name of the goon guild on mangler anyway?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Richard Cabeza posted:

I got stuck in the world today. 20 years and you can’t fix that ladder in OOT?

By the way, what is the name of the goon guild on mangler anyway?

[Insert Ominous Latin Here]

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

God drat I love this game. It’s amazing how every few years I can get hopelessly addicted for like a month or two and then one day I just lose all interest and can’t even force myself to play anymore.

Sounds like your body has developed a defense against EQ.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone in Resolute still playing on Phinny?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Republicans posted:

Getting Zephyl to spawn turned out to be the most time-consuming part of the whole quest. Took 5 goddamn hours of killing the PH every 5 minutes.

Welp, finished Targin and Raster so really looking forward to camping Zephyl just to do a turn-in lol. RotLC is so close!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You know those spear traps in Sol A that did virtually no damage like every other trap? Turns out they murder you now. Died instantly at 50 running into one.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any of you in a raiding guild open for membership that either raids primarily on Monday/Tuesday or in the morning or noon PST?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Republicans posted:

Any of you in a raiding guild open for membership that either raids primarily on Monday/Tuesday or in the morning or noon PST?

Magic and Melee raids Monday Tuesday Thursday 8 to midnight EST but there’s only a 30% attendance requirement.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mangler is a lot of fun and a good pace for casuals like myself.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pretty glad I didn't roll on Selos on launch. That AA % post bonus is awful for a 1 month server. I can't see a lot of re rolling when new class/races come out. Maybe DGB will iron out some of the kinks but it's DGB so who knows..

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Republicans posted:

You know those spear traps in Sol A that did virtually no damage like every other trap? Turns out they murder you now. Died instantly at 50 running into one.

That could be the best change to the game they ever made.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got a krono . Took my 94 SK to VOA and could barely fight a light blue with a merc . Should I just join with the goons on the new server ? I’m down for any role

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

I got a krono . Took my 94 SK to VOA and could barely fight a light blue with a merc . Should I just join with the goons on the new server ? I’m down for any role

We've got a bunch of people in the discord that are playing on Mangler, but we are all split up into a couple guilds mostly depending on if you are EST or PST for raid times. Should you roll there depends on if you want to start in classic from scratch or not. I personally find it fun. Most of our guildchat is going to be in the discord server.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

Classic is for masochists and nostalgia junkies. All that time you spent to get your SK to 94, will get you to around level 12 in classic. It's a long-haul grind at a glacial pace and that's just how crotchety old mid-life malcontents like it. You'll think I'm being facetious for the sake of making a post on an online forum, but I'm really not. EQ is a completely different game in that era. We've got a pile of the quality of life stuff from future expansions, and the XP isn't half as bad as Phinigel was, but it's nothing like what Live servers are like.

Hell, I'm like 34 on my SK and I'm still wearing full Banded Armor and I'm doing pretty good for myself.

I just want to give you a sense of what you'd be signing up for. If you're down for that, by all means come hang out with goons on Mangler and enjoy the slower, simpler EQ. But if you're looking to have a similar experience to what you had on Live with your SK, you won't find it there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

koreban posted:

Classic is for masochists and nostalgia junkies. All that time you spent to get your SK to 94, will get you to around level 12 in classic. It's a long-haul grind at a glacial pace and that's just how crotchety old mid-life malcontents like it. You'll think I'm being facetious for the sake of making a post on an online forum, but I'm really not. EQ is a completely different game in that era. We've got a pile of the quality of life stuff from future expansions, and the XP isn't half as bad as Phinigel was, but it's nothing like what Live servers are like.

Hell, I'm like 34 on my SK and I'm still wearing full Banded Armor and I'm doing pretty good for myself.

I just want to give you a sense of what you'd be signing up for. If you're down for that, by all means come hang out with goons on Mangler and enjoy the slower, simpler EQ. But if you're looking to have a similar experience to what you had on Live with your SK, you won't find it there.

I'm 48 on Mangler and I've been playing very casually. It's not bad at all. :shrug:

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
The other big thing not mentioned is there are people currently playing on mangler. So you can group and raid etc. Just like all of us nostalgia addicts remember. On live that's hard to do. So for me the big draw is seeing Commons tunnel full. Getting groups etc.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

onesixtwo posted:

We've got a bunch of people in the discord that are playing on Mangler, but we are all split up into a couple guilds mostly depending on if you are EST or PST for raid times. Should you roll there depends on if you want to start in classic from scratch or not. I personally find it fun. Most of our guildchat is going to be in the discord server.

Perfect . I’m eastern and a complete masochist .

koreban posted:

I’ve been playing EQ off and on for nearly 20 years . I play on FV so the pain is 10x , killing 5 bats for 2% of a level on a normal live server . I have all 95 level characters and it’s very boring . I play so little I don’t know anybody on FV and I’m not invested enough to find a new guild and all that .

Put me in coach

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

koreban posted:

The first couple weeks on Mangler have been a blast. I managed to get my monk to 46 even though I didn't really play much the last week of the exp bonus. Getting groups has been really easy and for the most part have been a lot of fun. Sure there is some of the classic EQ grind but there are some serious QOL improvements since classic in 1999 that make it a lot less of a punch to the gut.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

The first couple weeks on Mangler have been a blast. I managed to get my monk to 46 even though I didn't really play much the last week of the exp bonus. Getting groups has been really easy and for the most part have been a lot of fun. Sure there is some of the classic EQ grind but there are some serious QOL improvements since classic in 1999 that make it a lot less of a punch to the gut.

Oh yea, I'm playing there too. I got my SK/Shm to 30 alongside a friend's Mag/Dru and like a dumb junkie who can't get "a little bit" back on the snake, I picked up two more laptops and PL'd a Brd/Cle to level range and we've been obliterating SolB all weekend.

I probably could have easily been 50 if I had focused on one character and jumped into a guild. We just made our own and have been tooling around leisurely. This is my 5th TLP, I'm in no rush.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
I started a warrior on Mangler because I figure that would be easiest to get groups and make friends =/ I have a questions concerning aggro and taunt. Is taunt the same as it was in vanilla or is it the same as live?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

gnomers posted:

I started a warrior on Mangler because I figure that would be easiest to get groups and make friends =/ I have a questions concerning aggro and taunt. Is taunt the same as it was in vanilla or is it the same as live?
Successfully taunting puts you at the top of the aggro list + a couple points of hate. Has no effect if you're already at the top.

And for the love of God, buy your Tome of Provoke in EFP.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004

Gray Matter posted:

Successfully taunting puts you at the top of the aggro list + a couple points of hate. Has no effect if you're already at the top.

I will when I hit level 20 currently only level 7

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Is there a good link for information on Tomes? Literally just found out about them and I have a 48 Monk lol.

One other question about taunting. If you are at the top of the aggro list, are you sure it does nothing? I thought back in the day it would still put you at top of hate list + a couple points, potentially lowering your overall hate. Wasn't sure if that was ever fixed.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

MrSargent posted:

Is there a good link for information on Tomes? Literally just found out about them and I have a 48 Monk lol.

Throw Stone tome frees Monks from root, you'll love it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait what? How does it free you from root?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

RCarr posted:

Wait what? How does it free you from root?
Use it on yourself and it is considered nuke damage which breaks the root.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Is throw stone special? Nuking yourself to break root was removed last August.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Eccles posted:

Is throw stone special? Nuking yourself to break root was removed last August.
Not sure, my last experience with this was only through PoP on Phinny.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

They made some overall changes to root that included preventing self damage from breaking root

quote:

- Made the following changes to root spells:
- - Reduced the likelihood that direct-damage spells will break root on a target.
- - The chance for direct-damage spells to break root is now further reduced if you are a higher level than your target.
- - Archery and throwing attacks now have a small chance to break root.
- - Hitting yourself with a direct-damage spell will no longer roll a chance to break root/snare.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Solarin posted:

They made some overall changes to root that included preventing self damage from breaking root

:smith: drat. That was a fun pulling trick.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

On a regular server, what class would be best to heroic boost if you just wanted to snoop around old zones without worrying too much? I had a 52ish druid back in vanilla through PoP but loaned my account to a friend and it got mostly stripped. For over a decade now I've been thinking of leveling up a rogue for SoS exploration, but if its a level 85 just walking around City of Mist, Sebilis, Akhevan Ruins, Siren's Grotto, Guk, etc are there any better choices? I don't care about farming rares, just walking around checking out the dated graphics, exploring places I was scared to go solo, and putting "faces" to the stories I've read over the years. I've heard just go bard for selo's, pet class for trivial soloing, monk or necro for feign death, rogue for SoS if you are careful about conning for the exceptions, and so on. I kind of prefer rogue because the Safehouse forum was awesome back in the day, but didn't get mine over 25 before heading off to DAOC. Open to ideas. Or can pretty much any 85 handle it?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any 85 could handle it, but some would be more convenient than others.

Bard or Monk would be the easiest by far.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

RCarr posted:

Any 85 could handle it, but some would be more convenient than others.

Bard or Monk would be the easiest by far.

I’m thinking SK. FD and you can always lifetap for heals. Maybe even beastlord with playing possum.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

bagrada posted:

On a regular server, what class would be best to heroic boost if you just wanted to snoop around old zones without worrying too much? I had a 52ish druid back in vanilla through PoP but loaned my account to a friend and it got mostly stripped. For over a decade now I've been thinking of leveling up a rogue for SoS exploration, but if its a level 85 just walking around City of Mist, Sebilis, Akhevan Ruins, Siren's Grotto, Guk, etc are there any better choices? I don't care about farming rares, just walking around checking out the dated graphics, exploring places I was scared to go solo, and putting "faces" to the stories I've read over the years. I've heard just go bard for selo's, pet class for trivial soloing, monk or necro for feign death, rogue for SoS if you are careful about conning for the exceptions, and so on. I kind of prefer rogue because the Safehouse forum was awesome back in the day, but didn't get mine over 25 before heading off to DAOC. Open to ideas. Or can pretty much any 85 handle it?

I'm a bit biased, but I would choose a Monk for the instant feign death and quick melee DPS. Monks have instant feign death (you probably remember monks pulling from the old days), which allows you to zip around any dungeon and just FD flop stuff off you, and the mobs you do run into, you can tear to shreds with their fast melee attack. They also have fast runspeed AAs (or maybe everyone gets that these days, or can't remember), blink (like Mages in WoW), and other fun stuff. When I returned in 2009, I chose a Monk, and have been loving it ever since, it's so good for exploring and grinding old stuff.

Some other good alternative are:

* Bard - they also have a form of instant feign death (Fading Memories AA), super run speed, invisibility, charm, tracking, pick lock, and more tricks
* Ranger - superior tracking makes it fun hunting old rares (like popping into an old dungeon and seeing which rares are up), fast run speed, spells, invisibility, fade AA at high levels
* Shadow Knight - good FD, invis, spells, okay dps, very strong tank

Frankly I'm leaning strongly towards the Bard if I were in your place; the runspeed, tracking, invisibility, charm and AA fade spell will make it a breeze. Downside is very weak melee dps, it might be a chore for when you "have" to fight. Also consider you might get a little hooked and want to level up and visit stronger content. Shadow Knight would be an excellent partner with a Shaman box if you want to go that way, but you could use any of the classes I mentioned if you add mercenaries for tanking and healing. I've rolled Monk+Shaman with tank+healer merc for many years.

I wouldn't choose Rogue, since as soon as SoS/sneak/hide breaks, and you've used Escape, you're kinda boned and have to fight. Also no spells or tracking. I played Rogue for 2 years back in Classic/Kunark/Velious and would to this day prefer Monk for the feign death.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks, some good ideas so I will lean bard or monk. I do like SK but if I get hooked again I'll probably try to twink up my troll SK from vanilla so I'll save him for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
What's considered the top raid guild on Mangler currently?