Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lori posted:

I never extensively used magic in the first one because it was boring, so I never got to see how ridiculous it was in the first.

I've done every build to completion in Dark Souls 2 now and I'd say STR is even easier than magic. Stunlock the boss and kill him before he even attacks, ho~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Daynab posted:

How are so many people in the Dragon covenant at 1m SM? And I was seeing signs even below that. I am sprinting myself to get there but still have a ways to go, just got to Amana.

You can run past like 99% of enemies. There is a good 10k-15k souls per area once you are past the first few areas. That poo poo adds up quick if you keep fighting through an area while you die a lot. Also not throwing down your sign 10 times at every boss before moving on.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I can't understand how people would prefer magic removed, it's not like you are obligated to use it. Just let other people enjoy the game in easy mode while you run around with a broken hilt soloing bosses in NG+++++ and being a smug elitist, nobody cares.

PvP is completely different but then again from what I've heard it's not like magic users win every time without an inch of effort.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 9, 2014

Doctor Whose
Sep 6, 2013

There we go!

So I was wanting to do New Game+ as a different build after doing it as a full blown sorcerer. Is it possible or do you really need to keep investing in what you have already upgraded to keep up with the difficulty rising? Was wanting to do a str run for something completely different.

^^^Edit: I won most of the PVP I ran into as a sorcerer because people would just sprint at me, so of course I could win by just spamming at them.

Doctor Whose fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 9, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Doctor Whose posted:

There we go!

So I was wanting to do New Game+ as a different build after doing it as a full blown sorcerer. Is it possible or do you really need to keep investing in what you have already upgraded to keep up with the difficulty rising? Was wanting to do a str run for something completely different.

You'll have enough souls and soul vessels that you can pretty much do what you want. If you don't like something, switch back. I'm pretty much done with ng+ and ready to move onto ++, and I think I'm at SL230?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

PvP is completely different but then again from what I've heard is not like magic users win everytime without an inch of effort.

No but it's tedious to fight against especially if you lose every other fight cause that sunlight spear that missed you by 20 feet does damage anyway. Having to nail X number of rolls or get one shot by a dude that just spams R1 is broken as gently caress. That most casters can't play worth poo poo and just run away from you after you dodge their fifth GRS doesn't help either, especially with the new backstab.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Leper Residue posted:

You'll have enough souls and soul vessels that you can pretty much do what you want. If you don't like something, switch back. I'm pretty much done with ng+ and ready to move onto ++, and I think I'm at SL230?

As an aside, you can also immediately open the Shrine of Winter if you have 2m souls in NG+, or 3 in NG++ etc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VisAbsoluta posted:

I can't understand how people would prefer magic removed, it's not like you are obligated to use it. Just let other people enjoy the game in easy mode while you run around with a broken hilt soloing bosses in NG+++++ and being a smug elitist, nobody cares.

PvP is completely different but then again from what I've heard is not like magic users win every time without an inch of effort.

I'd like to see magic removed because I don't think it adds anything to the game and makes PvP and online coop worse. Its just annoying in PvP and its boring when someone just stands around chucking spells in coop. I only mentioned it in the first place just because the balance of magic came up. I mean, I'd rather them not scrap magic but instead replace it with an interesting magic system that is actually balanced. I don't think it improves the game just by being horribly broken though.

I'm not trying to be elitist by saying that; play the game however you want. Personally, I'd rather see magic get replaced with something more balanced so I can enjoy playing a mage character.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

What's a good strength based but fast swinging sword to go for?

Red Rust Scimitar. Only primary Strength-scaling curved sword in the game. Alternatively, the Sun Sword gets a B scaling in Strength/Dex.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Domattee posted:

No but it's tedious to fight against especially if you lose every other fight cause that sunlight spear that missed you by 20 feet does damage anyway. Having to nail X number of rolls or get one shot by a dude that just spams R1 is broken as gently caress. That most casters can't play worth poo poo and just run away from you after you dodge their fifth GRS doesn't help either, especially with the new backstab.

Casters are why I roll with mundane ave's, once I get my second ave for dual-wielding it'll be nice to one shot every sorcerer I see.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm taking pvp back to a simpler time. Of fat, scary men stabbing you.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

THE PWNER posted:

This might be because if you deplete your stamina, it has to regen to full before you can sprint.

Nah, still happens at full stamina too. It's just something caused by the input not registering occasionally either on this controller or the program which allows me to use a PS4 controller to begin with.

Still a worthy trade off for being able to use a PS4 controller with Dark Soul 2, and I say that as someone that thinks the normal xbox 360 controller is the second best controller ever made.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is the giant on the roof in the second memory supposed to oneshot me in full havel's with my shield up by backhanding a fireball at the wall next to me while looking in the opposite direction?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to see magic removed because I don't think it adds anything to the game and makes PvP and online coop worse.
I'm sure the thousands upon thousands of people who enjoy playing sorcerer characters would love to give up what they enjoy about the game so you can feel better about yourself in PVP. "Doesn't add anything to the game," pff

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Well the motto of the last game was "Prepare to Die"

That's the advertising slogan. IT says nothing about the game itself or the developers' intentions.

And complaining about magic being broken is dumb when there's always been tons of other broken stuff. In this, for example, power-stanced maces or the Great/Large Club. Way more effective at killing poo poo than magic for a long while, and a lot easier to get.

e: Oh this guy above already said pretty much the same thing.

Volt Catfish posted:

I've done every build to completion in Dark Souls 2 now and I'd say STR is even easier than magic. Stunlock the boss and kill him before he even attacks, ho~

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to see magic removed because I don't think it adds anything to the game and makes PvP and online coop worse.

Magic is fun to use, in this more so than both Dark and Demon's, stop being a big baby.

quote:

I'm not trying to be elitist by saying that; play the game however you want. Personally, I'd rather see magic get replaced with something more balanced so I can enjoy playing a mage character.

I want magic to be replaced so I can be a mage

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 10, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to see magic removed because I don't think it adds anything to the game and makes PvP and online coop worse. Its just annoying in PvP and its boring when someone just stands around chucking spells in coop. I only mentioned it in the first place just because the balance of magic came up. I mean, I'd rather them not scrap magic but instead replace it with an interesting magic system that is actually balanced. I don't think it improves the game just by being horribly broken though.

They could just give bosses different behaviour based on number of incoming ranged attacks.

And either sorcery is lacking or I'm just bad at it. But I keep gravitating back to block/dodge and club in face on my dude with 30 att and 40 int :saddowns:.

The new durability system bugs me more than any magic trivializing the game. I feel I fall back towards a smaller pool of weapons. Because either they just work or they're robust and don't fall to pieces constantly.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
We now know the specifics to the World's Worst Game Mechanic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693332-dark-souls-ii/69198395

code:
Tier   Soul Memory
    1  0 - 9,999
    2  10,000 - 19,999
    3  20,000 - 29,999
    4  30,000 - 39,999
    5  40,000 - 49,999
    6  50,000 - 69,999
    7  70,000 - 89,999
    8  90,000 - 109,999
    9  110,000 - 129,999
    10 130,000 - 149,999
    11 150,000 - 179,999
    12 180,000 - 209,999
    13 210,000 - 239,999
    14 240,000 - 269,999
    15 270,000 - 299,999
    16 300,000 - 349,999
    17 350,000 - 399,999
    18 400,000 - 449,999
    19 450,000 - 499,999
    20 500,000 - 599,999
    21 600,000 - 699,999
    22 700,000 - 799,999
    23 800,000 - 899,999
    24 900,000 - 999,999
    25 1,000,000 - 1,099,999
    26 1,100,000 - 1,199,999
    27 1,200,000 - 1,299,999
    28 1,300,000 - 1,399,999
    29 1,400,000 - 1,499,999
    30 1,500,000 - 1,749,999
    31 1,750,000 - 1,999,999
    32 2,000,000 - 2,249,999
    33 2,250,000 - 2,499,999
    34 2,500,000 - 2,749,999
    35 2,750,000 - 2,999,999
    36 3,000,000 - 4,999,999
    37 5,000,000 - 6,999,999
    38 7,000,000 - 8,999,999
    39 9,000,000 - 11,999,999
    40 12,000,000 - 14,999,999
    41 15,000,000 - 999,999,999
It's stunning how terrible this is. 41 Tiers? Really?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Drakes posted:

They could just give bosses different behaviour based on number of incoming ranged attacks.

And either sorcery is lacking or I'm just bad at it. But I keep gravitating back to block/dodge and club in face on my dude with 30 att and 40 int :saddowns:.

The new durability system bugs me more than any magic trivializing the game. I feel I fall back towards a smaller pool of weapons. Because either they just work or they're robust and don't fall to pieces constantly.

Sorcery is kind of balanced, miracles and hexes are lolwut trivializing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My summoning/invading is still completely broken. P cool. I have all the neccessary ports open, firewall has an exception, etc. I can still see bloodstains and messages just fine, but all of the actually useful parts of multiplayer are completely nonfunctional. Which makes it pretty fuckin fun considering there's only so many effigys in the game, and I have no other way to gain humanity.

Why is it always the popular games that are broken garbage on my system?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Asehujiko posted:

Is the giant on the roof in the second memory supposed to oneshot me in full havel's with my shield up by backhanding a fireball at the wall next to me while looking in the opposite direction?

Those giants are a neon sign telling you to just skip that poo poo and run right to the end.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

powerful weedlock posted:

My summoning/invading is still completely broken. P cool. I have all the neccessary ports open, firewall has an exception, etc. I can still see bloodstains and messages just fine, but all of the actually useful parts of multiplayer are completely nonfunctional. Which makes it pretty fuckin fun considering there's only so many effigys in the game, and I have no other way to gain humanity.

are you in a covenant, by chance? maybe, a covenant of champions?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

powerful weedlock posted:

You talked to the statue in Majula didn't you... It told you what would happen!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Right now my guy's main stat is strength at 40, and I've been rocking a great club +10, and I thought I was doing ok with it, but I summoned a guy with some kind of claymore into my game and he seemingly put my damage with it to shame. Should I be looking to upgrade to that? What's the king of strength weapons in this game?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

That's the advertising slogan. IT says nothing about the game itself or the developers' intentions.

And complaining about magic being broken is dumb when there's always been tons of other broken stuff. In this, for example, power-stanced maces or the Great/Large Club. Way more effective at killing poo poo than magic for a long while, and a lot easier to get.

e: Oh this guy above already said pretty much the same thing.

Just because one thing is broken doesn't mean more stuff should be broken as well. Also using a strong melee weapon still at least requires you to fight monsters in their effective attack range. The reason I dislike magic is that on top of being strong, your killing everything from across the room so there is no danger whatsoever.

quote:

Magic is fun to use, in this more so than both Dark and Demon's, stop being a big baby.

Nobody is being a baby, you're just reacting to opinions you disagree with in a hilariously dramatic manner. Its a game, you don't need to freak out because someone disagrees with you.

quote:

I want magic to be replaced so I can be a mage

Yes, I want magic to be replaced with a more balanced system so I can play a mage and actually enjoy it. I don't have fun with magic because its broken and boring. I made that pretty clear.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

Right now my guy's main stat is strength at 40, and I've been rocking a great club +10, and I thought I was doing ok with it, but I summoned a guy with some kind of claymore into my game and he seemingly put my damage with it to shame with a claymore. Should I be looking to upgrade to that? What's the king of strength weapons in this game?

Mace +10

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tabletops posted:

As an aside, you can also immediately open the Shrine of Winter if you have 2m souls in NG+, or 3 in NG++ etc.

Nope, this isn't true at all. In ng++ I had something like ten million and still needed the great souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Right now my guy's main stat is strength at 40, and I've been rocking a great club +10, and I thought I was doing ok with it, but I summoned a guy with some kind of claymore into my game and he seemingly put my damage with it to shame with a claymore. Should I be looking to upgrade to that? What's the king of strength weapons in this game?

That doesn't seem right. Great Club is hands down one of the strongest weapon for PVE, because it does a ton of damage and it's strike damage. I can't imagine most buffed weapons matching its damage output.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I got some decent shots of those bizarre columns at the start of the Gutter.

Weird as hell. It doesn't look good, but at the same time it seems like it was highly deliberate and probably intended to be a reference to this place being a giant trash heap. Still, what the hell is a car tire doing there?

Also, the Gutter with all torches lit:

I still liked Blighttown better.

Is it just me or does it seem like the hollows with the bloated stomachs you find in Shaded Woods would have been a better fit for this place? Particularly with the poison and rock throwing. The common hollows you find here seem more thematically appropriate for the area that leads up to Drangleic Castle.

Though perhaps having just normal hollows here lends better to the idea that this is a domain of the sad, pathetic, and hopeless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nope, this isn't true at all. In ng++ I had something like ten million and still needed the great souls.
You can absolutely open the door just with soul memory, but the actual amount is weird and seems to come at least partly from how much soul memory you had when you started the NG+. It's not directly linear.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if Beast Souls/Demon's Souls 2/Project Beast will have magic.

Mazed posted:

So I got some decent shots of those bizarre columns at the start of the Gutter.

Weird as hell. It doesn't look good, but at the same time it seems like it was highly deliberate and probably intended to be a reference to this place being a giant trash heap. Still, what the hell is a car tire doing there?

Someone upthread posted a screenshot from The Gutter that had what looked like a bag of chips.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've heard you need to have gained x million souls after starting your most recent NG, it won't work if you just have them from your last playthrough.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
Any recommended greatshields for a strength and faith set up? It doesn't necessarily have to scale with faith though.

If it helps, I ended up making and really liking Greatshield of Artorias while I was playing the first Dark Souls, so something comparable to that would be cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tetracube posted:

I've heard you need to have gained x million souls after starting your most recent NG, it won't work if you just have them from your last playthrough.

From what I understand it's based on how many souls you have going into ng+. Like if you start ng+ with two million you'd need four. I don't think anybody outside of FROM know for sure, but it's definitely not a linear progression of one million to two million and so on.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Umberger posted:

You're still in NG and there are actually a few things you can do now that you couldn't before (merchant inventories changed, Cale will now give you his armor set, etc). To enter NG+ you have to rest at the Majula bonfire and select "being journey 2 to Drangleic" or something like that.

Why they didn't say begin journey 2 Drangleic is beyond me

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ranged magic adds a fair bit to the game for PvP, I would find it quite boring if all that was possible was melee, bows(lol) and Avelynn's. I like casters because they do no damage to me and then I get to wreck then and spam Very Good :v:.

Also Kraken, what is broken about magic? (For pvp)

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 10, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't seem right. Great Club is hands down one of the strongest weapon for PVE, because it does a ton of damage and it's strike damage. I can't imagine most buffed weapons matching its damage output.

I think it was a flame claymore, and with a heavy strike he was pulling off about 600 damage against NG+ spiders in Brightcove. Are they just weak against flame?

It's also easily possible I'm just vastly overestimating his attack strength.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I think it was a flame claymore, and with a heavy strike he was pulling off about 600 damage against NG+ spiders in Brightcove. Are they just weak against flame?

It's also easily possible I'm just vastly overestimating his attack strength.

A great club+10 still should be doing more damage. And no, they just have low defenses in general.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So are the giants in Black Gulch supposed to be behind a locked door? I finished the game but wanted to take on the optional endgame bosses so I was looking for giant souls, and dropped down by the second worm thing, and there's just a big locked door I can't get past. I know I've been down there before and saw the giants. What gives?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrNutt posted:

So are the giants in Black Gulch supposed to be behind a locked door? I finished the game but wanted to take on the optional endgame bosses so I was looking for giant souls, and dropped down by the second worm thing, and there's just a big locked door I can't get past. I know I've been down there before and saw the giants. What gives?

You need to drop further down. To the right then left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

DrNutt posted:

There are more ledges, sir. Use a tawch and drop carefully.