Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I despise GIMP. It's one of the least intuitive programs I have ever tried to use.

honestly that is kind of fair, there are aspects of the program that annoyed me no end until I "got" the way you were supposed to do various things. it's not supposed to be a photoshop one-for-one replacement the way openoffice is supposed to be more or less functionally identical to the ms office products. and there are areas such as nondestructive editing where gimp is still playing catchup to photoshop and probably always will.

but for all that, having learned some of its ins and outs, I like it. it has a lot of features and functions and it's free forever. learning its quirks is not so terrible in exchange for what it gives you. there are some excellent plugins, notably the G'MIC stuff, that give you a lot of great added content for free.

and I will also say that, unlike Inkscape (which I do also like in some ways) I can't recall it ever crashing on me and losing a bunch of work. stability is one of those features you only notice when it's absent.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

vanisher posted:

It's all I use

manifisto had a great how-to thread for some neat photoshop/gimp techniques (let me see if I can find it...)

this would be helpful as I'm constantly forgetting everything I know about photoshop in the months between each project

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

vanisher posted:

It's all I use

manifisto had a great how-to thread for some neat photoshop/gimp techniques (let me see if I can find it...)

Is this it?

Manifisto posted:

since you haven't used gimp, you have to understand that animations in gimp require a bit of hackery . . . there's some basic support in there by default, and there are free extensions you can download that allow you to do kinda neat stuff, but none of it is particularly elegant interface-wise

so when you open a gif in gimp, it will open as a multilayer image. the names of the layers are what stores the information about how long each layer is displayed (e.g. "(100ms)") and the frame display mode (which will be either "(replace)" or "(combine)"). text that doesn't fit those formats is basically ignored when it comes to displaying the gif animation.

but! since this is kind of a hacky way to do it, if the layers are named in a way that the parser can't quite understand you get unexpected behavior. one that happens to me sometimes is that both "(combine)" and "(replace)" will end up in the layer name, you want to avoid that

when I opened up the simpsons gif in gimp, I noticed that a number of the layers were named slightly strangely (there was an exclamation point in parentheses, this apparently caused some weird behavior). I manually fixed them to avoid problems.

also, the simpsons gif you provided was, somehow, not in indexed color mode--at least not when gimp opened it up (it opened as rgb mode). this is strange to me as I thought gifs had to be indexed colors. I changed the image mode to indexed, 255-color palette, and allowed gimp to approximate colors by dithering. this removed some of the wallpaper color weirdness, although some of that weirdness (the "posterized" look) was in the original file and would probably have to be manually removed to smooth out

uh, as vanisher referred to I also unoptimized the image then re-optimized it, maybe unnecessary but it let me see what I was working with better

finally--I like what you did with the image!

From THIS THREAD (Summer BYOB Sigs thread this past June)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Starman Super DX

Splatmaster posted:

Is this it?

From THIS THREAD (Summer BYOB Sigs thread this past June)

ha, well these were the literal tips that I forgot and couldn't remember where this was posted. thanks, splat!

Tell me more!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Starman Super DX posted:

ha, well these were the literal tips that I forgot and couldn't remember where this was posted. thanks, splat!

My pleasure! :tipshat:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
hello, can someone make an animated avatar of this where the head ain't dancing around everywhere? :kiddo:

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Good grief, these are are stellar ideas (especially the boo one).

Can anyone link me to a tutorial of sorts on how to do graphics, gifs and images? I'm very bad at it but at least want to give it a try.

just googling 'how to x on gimp' works usually and here's some tutorial threads:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792302

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805816

someone make a new thread and link those threads to it

i'd do it but i think that i'm on chain probation

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
hello friends, if any wizards would like to make a spooky halloween av for me, i'd be super grateful

a skeleton bird would be cool, or a ghost bird. i'd like to earn that bone buds though

punchymcpunch

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

hello, can someone make an animated avatar of this where the head ain't dancing around everywhere? :kiddo:

here's my attempt

a clean one:

heres one with your name on it:

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

punchymcpunch posted:

here's my attempt

a clean one:

heres one with your name on it:

Thank you! :3: You're wonderful.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

mags

mister magpie posted:

wouldn't it be awesome if we also did a contest thread to vote on the best halloween avs coming from the av thread

our avvers do a lot of work and i think it would be awesome to reward them and get some recognition

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

our avvers do a lot of work and i think it would be awesome to reward them and get some recognition

I want back pay for all the sig drawers

Elusif

Can I have a sig for fall 2019 please?

Edit: This isn't the sig thread at all

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

hello all of my beautiful friends, it is the halloween parade and i need an spooky av

last year i got a fantastic av of my gorilla in a jason costume, so another spooky costume would be fantastic :kimchi:

mags

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I want back pay for all the sig drawers

unionize

Starman Super DX

Been trying to work on Witch dana but the color scheme is kinda turning out... ugly. Also I can't seem to get the hat belt right (not pictured). Thoughts, suggestions?

Tell me more!

Slugnoid

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

Been trying to work on Witch dana but the color scheme is kinda turning out... ugly. Also I can't seem to get the hat belt right (not pictured). Thoughts, suggestions?

so honestly I am not bothered by the color scheme, I think it's a cute take. working with those few pixels is hard! is there some kind of prop you could work into the av, like a broomstick or black cat etc etc?

Starman Super DX

Manifisto posted:

so honestly I am not bothered by the color scheme, I think it's a cute take. working with those few pixels is hard! is there some kind of prop you could work into the av, like a broomstick or black cat etc etc?

thanks for responding :)

I was actually thinking about having some leaves fly up every time he lands. You don't think the hat looks too plain without the witch belt? maybe if I just added a buckle without the belt. The issue I'm having is with the slight change in perspective since I think that it's kind of an advanced set of frames for 8-bit

Tell me more!

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

maybe if I just added a buckle without the belt

I think that might be a good compromise, worth exploring

Scaly Haylie

what if, instead of a buckle, a tiny jack-o-lantern?

EmmyOk

Can anyone help turn my avatar into a Halloween one? Love skeletons HATE HATE ZOMBIES. That would be really great and thanks in advance. I'll get you like plat (tho everyone has that) or something in return.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Starman Super DX

EmmyOk posted:

Can anyone help turn my avatar into a Halloween one? Love skeletons HATE HATE ZOMBIES. That would be really great and thanks in advance. I'll get you like plat (tho everyone has that) or something in return.

what about a mummy? that's a kind of zombie. and your avatar looks perfect for it tbh

e: not that I'm offering to make it although I wish i had the skills :(

Tell me more!

EmmyOk

Actually a huge fan of mummies also

Manifisto

EmmyOk posted:

Actually a huge fan of mummies also

here's a concept

vanisher

Another idea (easy mode)

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Another idea (easy mode)

oo that looks good

VideoGames
OK. I am unable to do even a basic change to this avatar. I need way more practice and by the time it is finished it will probably be Halloween 2020!!

Could somebody please assist me with this small request and I will buy you the forums upgrade of your choice: Plat, Archives, Title, your dreams.

I would like to make my kirby avatar one of the Boo Didleys from Super Mario. I was trying to make it white, give it angry eyebrows, remove the cheek patches and give it the same wicked smile as the boos, but doing the same animation!

Please BYOB, please could someone grant my halloween wishes!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sorry it's pixelly. I basically resprited the whole thing at half scale and double sized it to make it reasonable

I could work on it more tomorrow but I'm tired

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

EmmyOk

vanisher posted:

Another idea (easy mode)

This is superb! Thanks so much! Is there any way a small spider hanging down could be added? I hope I am not being ungrateful and rude!

do you need archives?

Manifisto posted:

here's a concept

I love this too but I'm enamoured with vanisher's :shobon:

VideoGames

Sorry it's pixelly. I basically resprited the whole thing at half scale and double sized it to make it reasonable

Oh my goodness me.
Olive Garden Tonight you've done it again my friend! Your cactus all those ages ago was so close to being the one, but this, this is exactly what I was hoping for! :D What on earth upgrade would you like my friend?

alnilam

What more could one want when one already has infinite breadsticks

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

What more could one want when one already has infinite breadsticks

lol

vanisher

most def we can get a spider in there

Starman Super DX

This is extremely good. Nice work

Tell me more!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

VideoGames posted:

Oh my goodness me.
Olive Garden Tonight you've done it again my friend! Your cactus all those ages ago was so close to being the one, but this, this is exactly what I was hoping for! :D What on earth upgrade would you like my friend?

I'm glad you like it. I said in the other thread I was gonna make you something but I got lazy and just animated some nes sprites!

I guess I will ask for a name change gift certificate so I can get people to stop making Olive Garden jokes about me.

Starman Super DX posted:

This is extremely good. Nice work

thanks... :D

e: I put some more work in anti-aliasing it so it's not so sharp.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 26, 2017

EmmyOk

vanisher posted:

most def we can get a spider in there

oh hell yes

Been thinking of MummyOk as a halloween name or maybe MummyEek

punchymcpunch

I guess I will ask for a name change gift certificate so I can get people to stop making Olive Garden jokes about me.

Outback Steakhouse should be p safe

WindmillSlayer

i would like a avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

EmmyOk posted:

This is superb! Thanks so much! Is there any way a small spider hanging down could be added? I hope I am not being ungrateful and rude!

do you need archives?

I love this too but I'm enamoured with vanisher's :shobon:

No need for archives I appreciate the offer though!!

Just let me know if you were looking for a different effect and i'll give it a try

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext