Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The gall some people have to not like a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I enjoy Tragedy Looper, but I 100% agree with the token hate. Next time I plan on playing, I'm going to pick up some generic counter tokens, either thin plastic ones or those colored stones with flat bases, to use instead, because seeing a mishmash of dark-color-on-black-background bits of cardboard on a character is really tough to parse at first glance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The gall of people asking other people why they don't like a thing!

In a discussion forum, of all places! For shame!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The only true alternative Tragedy Looper artwork:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I can understand that people have differing opinions on art; I really don't like the awful art on the original Glory to Rome. That being said, the art doesn't affect the mechanics and I really like GtR's mechanics.

The difference is that Tragedy Looper doesn't actually have bad art; as Madmarker said, the art is actually really well done. Now, there is definitely a stigma about anime outside of Japan and that's totally fine, but unless a person finds anime art in and of itself objectionable and will simply refuse to ever interact with it, I'm running out of ways to justify the objections.

I think BL put it best.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Zark the Damned posted:

The only true alternative Tragedy Looper artwork:

The final stage is called "unmasking"

Turns out it was old man Jenkins all along!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
As someone with only a passing interest in Tragedy Looper, so I've been on no side of this discussion, I would pick the alternative art over the original very simply because this discussion, the one you're having now, the art style would not even be mentioned if I had to take the game out and ask people to play it.

Its different, so its a talking point. I wouldn't say I'm an anime fan, I have one DVD of one for nostalgia of French TV as a kid, but I know the exact conversation I'd be having if I showed some people that box. I'm not there to start a perception on other cultures discussion, so I'll go for the more 'normal' looking box.

And I'm not surprised if the publishers thought the same thing and thought the game would be given more chance with this art style.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anime has a lot of loving stigma, it doesn't matter if theres no tentacle rape and scantily clad school girls, a lot of people associate it with those things and feel creepy playing a game with that style. I'm not accusing Tragedy Looper of those things, but I know if I brought it to my group people would be a lot more open and accepting of the new style as opposed to the anime art.

Alternatively, anime is in line with Yu-gi-oh, and those are the worst sorts of gamers in my local scene.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
And back on to what I came to post about.

I was playing a VASSAL game of Twilight Struggle with a friend and it crashed on the start of turn 7 (because I Missile Envied him in Headline I think). We decided to finish this tense game in person.

I tried to access the discard piles in the game but in this newer version it won't let me. Maybe because its crashed, but I can't see what cards have bee used already, which would let me work out what cards are left and set the game up accordingly.

Is there an obvious way I'm missing to get that info? Or can I pull the info out of the save game somehow, maybe the text is somewhere?

Any help on this much appreciated!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It's great that goons are super progressive about promoting non-western art styles, but is it really that shocking to hear that John Q. Public still perceives Anime as a weird niche thing for nerds?

Also, the proposed alternative art for Tragedy Looper looks bland as poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Boardgaming is a weird niche for nerds, it's just that nerds are really loving good at stratifying their nerdiness and group people as 'good nerds' and 'bad nerds'. It's why I call people that play american-style game as 'RPGers with low imagination'.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Broken Loose posted:

What I don't understand about the hatred for Tragedy Looper's "anime" "theme" is that (A) they're okay with the exact same game with the exact same setting and the exact same characters and the exact same everything except with smaller eyes and (B) the game is made in goddamn Japan.

You're literally just xenophobes. That's it. Tragloop has no maids, no harems, no special attacks, no panty shots, no excess of belt buckles, no bouncing breasts, no anthopomorphic animals, no giant robots, no clones of hitler, and absolutely nothing that people find offensive about anime. The only thing the game has that sets idiots off is that it's a Japanese game and the art was drawn by a Japanese person in traditionally Japanese style. How goddamn transparent can you be?

Does that mean that if I dislike impressionist paintings that I'm xenophobic against the French? What about disliking abstract paintings and the Spanish? Or disliking Country music and the entire southern half of the United States?

People can dislike an art style. Personally, I don't like it when characters are hard to distinguish visually.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still play the game because mechanics are >>> theme or art style, but that's not true for everyone, and I know plenty of people who would thoroughly enjoy if everything was ripped straight out of Back to the Future or something like that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

Boardgaming is a weird niche for nerds, it's just that nerds are really loving good at stratifying their nerdiness and group people as 'good nerds' and 'bad nerds'. It's why I call people that play american-style game as 'RPGers with low imagination'.

Actually nerds are bad at it that's why the geek social fallacies exist.

I wear my anime shaming as a badge of pride.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Foehammer posted:

It's great that goons are super progressive about promoting non-western art styles, but is it really that shocking to hear that John Q. Public still perceives Anime as a weird niche thing for nerds?

Also, the proposed alternative art for Tragedy Looper looks bland as poo poo.

I always assumed that John Q. Public would associate anime with Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon. One wouldn't really know about the weirder stuff unless you dug into it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Or disliking Country music and the entire southern half of the United States?

Uhhhh

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Tekopo posted:

Boardgaming is a weird niche for nerds

Yes, which is why it's easier to trick your friends into playing boardgames if you minimize the number of stigmas to overcome.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Foehammer posted:

Yes, which is why it's easier to trick your friends into playing boardgames if you minimize the number of stigmas to overcome.
I like to get started with a game of Agricola to get them in the correct mood.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think that the Japanese designer of Tragedy Looper should have made the game in a more traditional western style. My friends are offended when our games don't feature european colonial themes and lack beautiful artwork like the Harem card or the Ratcatcher occupation.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

This is exactly the same argument people used the last time there was an argument about TragLoop art, and last time it was correctly pointed out that John Q. Public doesn't know enough about anime to give a poo poo, this whole "Normal People Think Anime Is All School Girl Tentacle Rape" is just nerds projecting their own nonsense onto the general population to justify their own xenophobia.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think that the Japanese designer of Tragedy Looper should have made the game in a more traditional western style. My friends are offended when our games don't feature european colonial themes and lack beautiful artwork like the Harem card or the Ratcatcher occupation.

If Japan can take our pizza and put mayonnaise on it because that's what Japanese people will buy, we can change the art in their games to something westerners will buy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Holy poo poo you better not diss the harem card, it's a work of art

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT ANIME ALREADY

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tekopo posted:

Holy poo poo you better not diss the harem card, it's a work of art

I think that's the problem.

Seriously this discussion is dumb. The art has stigmas attached to it. Great. Who are you trying to impress by being grossed out by it? The art in the game is inoffensive.

StashAugustine posted:

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT ANIME ALREADY

And this.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Its not even about any of that. Its very simply the publisher trying to work out whether a different art style would positively affect perception and sales. While I agree on the whole the public probably doesn't associate anime style with the worst elements, there are plenty of reasons why they might think going more conventional art would increase accessibility.

I was going to say market penetration but come on, this is anime we're talking here.

Other mediums make appearance changes across regions, there shouldn't be any shock when a board game does it.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Tevery Best posted:

gently caress you, I hate you.

Content: I think alt-art Tragedy Looper is a good idea as an alternative, but not as the only option, and I doubt anyone will ever consider it sane from a business point of view to release two versions of the same game on the same market.

What about Love Letter? If you don't dig the "courting a princess" thing you can go play the Batman version.

I'm sure there are plenty of games out there with successful alternate themes if you count the usual zombie/cthulu/whatever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

I think that's the problem.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Esoteric joke, sorry.

I mean, what I think the problem is that it is "art" as a noun, but is it "art" as a concept?

... I'm gonna go hide in a corner now.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

OmegaGoo posted:

Seriously this discussion is dumb. The art has stigmas attached to it. Great. Who are you trying to impress by being grossed out by it? The art in the game is inoffensive.

Nobody's trying to impress anyone. The question was posed and people answered :confused:

I think there's a reasonable position in between "who gives a poo poo" and "you must hate japanese people".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That leg still mesmerizes me to this day.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It could be worse...

(OK I know it's not Harem, I suspect that one may be NSFW)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

It could be worse...

(OK I know it's not Harem, I suspect that one may be NSFW)

Now THAT art is loving off putting. :froggonk:

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 4, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bobvonunheil posted:

Is it just 'It's WH40K' you have a problem with theme-wise or is there something else?

WH40K seems pretty well suited to interplanetary space battles is all

YES. Here's a slightly but really not at all controversial claim: Warhammer 40,000 has no theme. It's just every single fiction trope thrown into a blender. It's Star Trek, Star Wars, the Silmarillion, Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Mad Max, Starship Troopers, King Arthur, goddamn literally Rambo, some 40-year-old British dude's idea of "Japanime" robots, Dungeon & Dragons, Dracula, Zombies, Norse legends, Jesus Christ and a great deal of the rest of the Bible, Lensman, Wolverine, Wolfman, Monty loving Python, zombies, the Matrix, and drat near every single other fiction property combined in a single setting with no regard for executing it well or actually advancing the storyline other than "everything exists and it sucks."

Even worse? Like 0.001% of 40k lore and fiction is actually good*, but unlike every single other property that has huge chunks of poo poo in it, people just go "ahh 40k's cool" without any sense of irony. No Star Wars fan in their right mind would say, "Star Wars is great and I love it," no, they'd work their way around the prequels and Ewoks and Ziro the Hutt and whatever EU books they hate. I don't say, "I love Star Trek;" I say, "I love Deep Space 9 and most of TNG," because I am very well aware that there's 7 loving seasons of Janeway, 4 seasons of Enterprise, and 7 terrible movies out of a total of 12. I very much don't like the majority of Star Trek. 40k is 99.999% poo poo. Most of it is Grey Knights bathing in period blood because it's "pure," Blood Angels fistbumping Necrons, a decade's worth of writing about an entire species dedicated to rape, Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau, Marneus Calgar being a Mary Sue, 4chan memes, and multilasermultilasermultilaser.

If a cook made a dish using every ingredient in the kitchen, you cannot say that the meal is good because he used your favorite ingredient. Even worse, it's disingenuous to claim that there are good parts you can lick off because half the thing is spoiled, diseased, and burned and seriously what is wrong with you people? It's a bad setting, it's written poorly, the vast and overwhelming majority of the lore is awful, there is no writer interest in advancing the plot in a meaningful way, and nothing about it holds any entertainment value other than trying to enjoy it ironically. I love Super Robot anime, and I'm well aware there is a difference between something that is good and something that is Awesome. Overuse of skulls and purity seals is not awesome.

*It bears restating-- due to the grapeshot nature of 40k fiction (that there's a near-infinite amount of it and a tiny fraction of it is good), yes, that means there's probably enough good stuff to fill, like, 1 book. Read The Fall of Malvolion, a short story by Dan Abnett. It's not perfect but it's pretty drat good.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait, do people have a problem with Argent's art style? That looks like a quality of anime art as embarassing as Tragedy Looper, but I'm only going off pics and videos I've seen though, so maybe it's better than person.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

The gall of people asking other people why they don't like a thing!

In a discussion forum, of all places! For shame!

I'm just amazed at how defensive yo guys got over animes, like the french edition would make pikachu cry. It's cool that it was explained that folks shouldn't worry about actual problematic stuff that could scare people away, but it turned into this weird crusade aganst having a preference. Some people just dislike anime as an aesthetic, or genre (loosely speaking), just as some dislike cthulhu, or rennaisance italy or warhammer or whatever. It's ok to like some things less than others.

Like, no one felt the need to complain about, say, pret-a-porter being unnecessarily shunned due to it's theme (or the shameful reskin in the works) or the pandering awkwar reskinning that is Lords of Xidit, but besmirching otaku honor is where half the thread draws the line. I think calling people xenophobes for not enjoying an art style is just as dumb as claiming dislike of reggae is racism.

I, for one, am happy for the new edition, because the SyFy channel show look is less immediately nerdy than animes and therefore more accessible to normal folk, which goes against the general trend to needlessly nerdify everything.

PS. There is a discussion to be had on whether theme and/or aesthetics should stand in path enjoying a mechanically sound game and where the line should be drawn, but so far this isn't that discussion.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I actually do wish Pret-a-Porter would get reprinted without being about VIDYA GAMES.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm just amazed at how defensive yo guys got over animes, like the french edition would make pikachu cry. It's cool that it was explained that folks shouldn't worry about actual problematic stuff that could scare people away, but it turned into this weird crusade aganst having a preference. Some people just dislike anime as an aesthetic, or genre (loosely speaking), just as some dislike cthulhu, or rennaisance italy or warhammer or whatever. It's ok to like some things less than others.

Like, no one felt the need to complain about, say, pret-a-porter being unnecessarily shunned due to it's theme (or the shameful reskin in the works) or the pandering awkwar reskinning that is Lords of Xidit, but besmirching otaku honor is where half the thread draws the line. I think calling people xenophobes for not enjoying an art style is just as dumb as claiming dislike of reggae is racism.

I, for one, am happy for the new edition, because the SyFy channel show look is less immediately nerdy than animes and therefore more accessible to normal folk, which goes against the general trend to needlessly nerdify everything.

PS. There is a discussion to be had on whether theme and/or aesthetics should stand in path enjoying a mechanically sound game and where the line should be drawn, but so far this isn't that discussion.

that's because i've never played pret-a-porter or lords of xidit and don't give a gently caress in hell about them but tragedy looper's good and innovative and seeing people write it off because it gives them flashbacks to the uguu wars is loving stupid

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lichtenstein posted:

I am willing to play the new FFG 40k game in spite of all those words I just posted. Please learn from my example.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, do people have a problem with Argent's art style? That looks like a quality of anime art as embarassing as Tragedy Looper, but I'm only going off pics and videos I've seen though, so maybe it's better than person.

I'm not thrilled by the art style, but there's so much to focus on in the game that people quickly forget that the art is even there. The only thing that I find really off-putting about it is that one of the headmaster characters looks like a prepubescent girl but is actually a several thousand year old dryad or something who just did the dryad equivalent of reincarnating or somesuch.

I guess the big difference to me is that Traglooper has a big focus and emphasis on the characters where the art can make it ambiguous as to who is who, while in Argent the art just exists as a side thing and it's all about the iconography on the cards once you're into the swing of things. Hell, beyond the starting character cards/spells, I can't match a single supporter/voter to their card's text.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Dude, the only fight that I picked in this discussion was that the anime artwork was somehow offensive, which it is clearly not. I don't actually care if people like the artwork or not.

EDIT: And it also partially because when people asked why they didn't like the artwork, the reason seemed to be about stuff that isn't even present within Tragedy Looper, which to me seems akin to disliking newspaper cartoons because you know Tijuana bibles exist.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's a completely valid reason to be put off from a board game due to its art, all art is a matter of taste. It's a shame if you're missing out on a good game, but if your distaste for the art, whether it's because you don't like the style, or don't think it's good enough, or think that it's too generic, or racist...if, for whatever reason, it' enough to overpower your enjoyment of the game, then you're not going to enjoy yourself and then why would you play?

That said, this reprint, if it causes a Pandemic-like split where expansions are no longer made for the old version, it'll really be irritating as gently caress.

Anyway can I gripe about how I'm annoyed that the Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition is, like, half an inch taller than Galaxy Trucker and therefore won't fit in my shelf as easily? My goddamn need for order must be appeased!