Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ShadowMoo posted:

Where is the cheapest place to buy this? Reading about Dangerous Games seems like they are trying to make this into a less sperglord EVE online. When I first heard about this game I figured it would get support dropped soon after launch, but it seems they are in this one for the long haul.
Wait for the Steam summer sale later this month, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Great. Now I want a Federal DAKKA Ship but I already have my FAS waifu :ohdear:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

As a tentative new player, is it worth diving into the game now? This bug of incessant interdictions by high-powered pirates has me spooked. Also the broken mission boards.

I think I just had some bad luck early on. Things have been pretty chill since then and I've been flying around shooting rocks and doing god knows what since then.

As an aside - for an explorer type mission where I'm supposed to recover some assets - I think they just told me to scan signatures in the target system. Is there any good way to find said signatures for scanning? Does having a discovery scanner help?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's way less "argh" trying to find materials if you just run missions in a Cobra Mk III and cherry pick. Still takes a long while but you'll pick up many other useful ones on the way without having to worry about obscure drop methods.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Where is the cheapest place to buy this? Reading about Dangerous Games seems like they are trying to make this into a less sperglord EVE online. When I first heard about this game I figured it would get support dropped soon after launch, but it seems they are in this one for the long haul.

I bought Horizons off the Frontier store in RUB for $18.

You can set the language to English next to the currency drop down menu up top. If you don't have an intl fx friendly card, paypal will do the conversion for a buck or two.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DancingShade posted:

It's way less "argh" trying to find materials if you just run missions in a Cobra Mk III and cherry pick. Still takes a long while but you'll pick up many other useful ones on the way without having to worry about obscure drop methods.

Plus you get to fly a Cobra III!

Snaxx posted:

I bought Horizons off the Frontier store in RUB for $18.

You can set the language to English next to the currency drop down menu up top. If you don't have an intl fx friendly card, paypal will do the conversion for a buck or two.
:lol:

The lengths goons go to save a few bucks.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Gonna have to megagrind then. I only make $2-3 dolla per hour. Still need to pay for my half of the internet as well. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

Gonna have to megagrind then. I only make $2-3 dolla per hour. Still need to pay for my half of the internet as well. :(

I'm not sure where you're at but I would worry more about climbing above the poverty line than buying video games if I were you.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So I logged back in to check out the new patch after playing other stuff for a few months. While flying through a random system I got a message from a faction leader to hunt down some lost transmission gear in a crashed ship in a system a jump over. I head to system, pop my discovery scanner and identify the planet it's likely to be on. When I arrive in the vicinity of the planet I get a purported location for the crash site, which flickers around as I grow closer, requiring me to hunt over several dozen kilometers until I finally nail the location. I land, and take my SRV out of my ship. As I pick up the first container, I hear whump from behind me, and turn around to see the green glow of my ship's prismatic shields activating as they come under attack. My radio screams, "SHIP UNDER ATTACK" as more missiles land and my SRV races over back to the ship, hurrying inside. Takeoff begins, and I put all dots into SYS in an attempt to stay alive and look for the attacker on the scanner. It's an Elite IEagle. I manage to get off the ground and cannot get the fucker off my tail until I switch off FA and pivot on the spot to face him. He dies pretty quickly.

I land, and pick up the rest of the gear. When it's onboard, I get a message from the faction leader saying that they now need it urgently and I'll get a bonus if I can get it to a planet 10 ls distant within 2 minutes. Realising this is unlikely, I jump into Orbital Cruise and circle round the rock I'm currently on to find the destination, and speed towards it. I then get a message from a pirate I'd evaded in the first system saying something like, "I have you now!" before interdicting me and sending me screaming into the second planet at, well, inappropriate speeds. Thankfully I end up close to the port I'm heading for, and manage to squeeze in... ten seconds after the bonus deadline.

Whatever you think about the engineers, the basic stuff of the game - missions and faction engagement - is now far, far better than ever before, and I'd have this down as the best update yet, even with engineers factored out.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876
I flew out to Maia in my Eagle (from Kremainn where I generally hang out and keep my ships) to get some meta alloys. I thought it would be interesting to try and take an armored and armed Eagle out there (I'm still sort of new and haven't really gone very far beyond some minor exploration to unlock a couple engineers). I only had 3 Jumps before I needed to refuel up until I hit a populated system on the bubbles fringes and picked up a fuel tank to give myself an extra jump. It was a little tense toward the end trying to find scoopable stars on the way while fighting with the galaxy map (it doesn't play nice with the Vive and it's hard to select a system even if you click on it).

Finally made it there and had to trade my shields for a cargo rack...made the couple times I got interdicted extra fun but I actually made the whole big trip from Kremainn to Maia to Deciat and back to Kremainn in one piece despite my stupid insistence on taking an Eagle instead of my DBS or Adder that would have been better suited. Now I just need to make enough credits to go buy some super thrusters and to be able to wreck my ship 20 times into the sun without going broke.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Aethernet posted:

I hear whump from behind me, and turn around to see the green glow of my ship's prismatic shields activating as they come under attack. My radio screams, "SHIP UNDER ATTACK" as more missiles land and my SRV races over back to the ship, hurrying inside.
Maybe a selling point for turrets on smaller explorer ships would be that you could leave them active while out in your SRV and put up at least some defence while you hustle back? Your point defence should also be active all the time.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm not sure where you're at but I would worry more about climbing above the poverty line than buying video games if I were you.

Poor people can be allowed nice things too, drat.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Parents don't really mind if I spend my turking money on luxuries because right now I can't have a job.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Experimental Skin posted:

Yes, that's understood. Me point was, from a potential increase of 14% after two days tootling about cracking rocks I'm given 2%. It's effectively wasted my two days.

I mean you knew what you were getting into. That's like complaining about losing the lottery when you keep gambling.

Not saying that the current system is good but if you're already grinding for rank 5 mods... the grind is strong with you and I have no sympathy.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Game really needs some kind of a working economy. Gives people a reason to craft other than for themselves. Some people prefer to crack rocks and craft stuffs.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean you knew what you were getting into. That's like complaining about losing the lottery when you keep gambling.

Not saying that the current system is good but if you're already grinding for rank 5 mods... the grind is strong with you and I have no sympathy.

Non sequitur?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

As an aside - for an explorer type mission where I'm supposed to recover some assets - I think they just told me to scan signatures in the target system. Is there any good way to find said signatures for scanning? Does having a discovery scanner help?

Don't be like me, do this instead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4mck4d/psa_salvage_missions_guide/

I spent like 2 hours just flying around investigating random USSs and getting blown up most of the time trying to find the mission events. There's absolutely no hint about how it works from the mission text.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DancingShade posted:

Are we able to move materials between ships now?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yes, as long as you have enough cargo racks on both ships, otherwise you're hosed.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Maybe, someday, we can rent loving warehouse space at a station and store poo poo properly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We can't rent warehouses because every station is packed to the bursting point with mothballed player starships.

Just no room left.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ShadowMoo posted:

Game really needs some kind of a working economy. Gives people a reason to craft other than for themselves. Some people prefer to crack rocks and craft stuffs.
Was looking for discussion of this on the brown sea, I don't get what the objections to a player economy a la Eve are about. People (I use the term loosely) seem to be saying it would be exploited by mega-grinders and casuals would get hosed, but why? Do they just mean if players banded together to gently caress up some market they could do so? Isn't that how the current system's supposed to be able to work anyway?
Would add so much more meaning to trading and mining to have player production + full trading access to everything, I reckon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

Was looking for discussion of this on the brown sea, I don't get what the objections to a player economy a la Eve are about. People (I use the term loosely) seem to be saying it would be exploited by mega-grinders and casuals would get hosed, but why? Do they just mean if players banded together to gently caress up some market they could do so? Isn't that how the current system's supposed to be able to work anyway?
Would add so much more meaning to trading and mining to have player production + full trading access to everything, I reckon.

These are the same people who will just chant "It doesn't fit THE LORE / It's not Realistic! / It has no place in the Elite series!" When people suggest tractor beams instead of loving about with limpets. Then turn around and tell you to shut the gently caress up if you bring up "Hey, the older Elite games had set and forget mining devices you could come back later to collect from. Also, it's not very realistic that an asteroid with several type-9 sized chunks of metal poking out of it can only give you a couple scrapings of ore before it's empty".

Because all their reasons, even when they DO apply, only apply when it's convenient to them personally :v:

I don't want some huge X series automated empire. But being able to hook yourself up with the capabilities of an outpost, or finance an existing outpost to be allowed access to such things, would be amazing.

Of course, such things REDUCE grind once you made the initial steps to get it going. So it's right out. They would only ever touch such a thing if you had to keep investing more than was practical to keep it running, like how your power play reputation and earnings will just go away if you don't play like it's your job. No permanence of convenience, and any automatic earnings have to be put on a treadmill that keeps moving while you are gone.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 10, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There are some difficulties with player-run economies beyond a global clearing house. If I'm in Open, drop some extractors and shift to Solo, do my extractors come with me?

Because I want to be able to shoot extractors owned by people hiding in Solo.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Aethernet posted:

There are some difficulties with player-run economies beyond a global clearing house. If I'm in Open, drop some extractors and shift to Solo, do my extractors come with me?

Simple solution: Get rid of Solo because why the hell is there a Solo mode affecting anything online? Make it completely offline and I get it. Implement it and make people choose between Solo and Open with their current character, locking them in.

It was a terrible idea to begin with and needs to just stop.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Solo players are just in a different instance than you. You'd still have people in a different instance than you if everyone was in open.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
This game is grindy as is, I don't need people in Open making GBS threads on me and invalidating 8 hours of whatever bullshit effort it takes to achieve any meaningful "progression".

Abolish open mode and make it the solo game it was always meant to be.

TIA.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aethernet posted:

Why?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Half-wit posted:

This game is grindy as is, I don't need people in Open making GBS threads on me and invalidating 8 hours of whatever bullshit effort it takes to achieve any meaningful "progression".

Abolish open mode and make it the solo game it was always meant to be.

TIA.

Fair point. Just make it an X-type game or a new Freelancer. Except of course, they can't without essentially remaking the game from scratch.

TomR posted:

Solo players are just in a different instance than you. You'd still have people in a different instance than you if everyone was in open.

Kidding right? No difference between Open and Solo?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
As far as the game is concerned solo is just a private group with only you in it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TomR posted:

As far as the game is concerned solo is just a private group with only you in it.

Yes, that sounds like something a MMO space sim game doesn't need, along with private groups.

Unless the game is supposed to be background simulator: the game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aethernet posted:

No, of course not. Also, when people say "player-run economy" I'm pretty sure they don't mean "literally dropping canisters for each other in some secluded space instancr", the whole point is to get away from that crap.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

This was a slightly glib point about instancing issues and the pleasures of e-sociopathy. However, there is a serious point about how player-owned anything anything would work in a framework that finds it difficult to get players in the same system into the same instance.

On open/solo, see the Open v Solo foreverwar in the Brown Sea for why this will never be tackled.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

No, of course not. Also, when people say "player-run economy" I'm pretty sure they don't mean "literally dropping canisters for each other in some secluded space instancr", the whole point is to get away from that crap.

What do they mean, then? Direct trading? Auctions?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Aethernet posted:

On open/solo, see the Open v Solo foreverwar in the Brown Sea for why this will never be tackled.

Oh, oh no I'm just complaining. I know Frontier will never change this or do anything about it, no question about that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Aethernet posted:

What do they mean, then? Direct trading? Auctions?

It could be something as simple as just letting players sell to a station to generate supply numbers that other players can then buy from, barring any NPC demand that gobbles them up first.

That alone would be a huge improvement to the market that offers the most minute of player interaction without making a full-fledged EVE-style economy simulation. It would create the dynamic of player A dumping [umpteen] of [silly trinket] on the market because they're 87 jumps away from any station that deals with them in any meaningful way. The station pays below galactic average but above “we don't buy those”-prices, so it's worth-while to actually keep those trinkets rather than flush them out of the airlock. Player B then comes along, notices that while the station sells these off-market trinkets at above galactic average, there are umpteens available right here and right now, rather than 87 jumps away, so he buys them and cashes them in for the far more valuable mission rewards he needs them for.

No price wars, no weird spawning cycles, no cash out of nowhere, but still a means to transfer odd items between players via the market.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Frontier is the most noncommittal game developer ever. They make terrible design decisions (ie PGs and solo) just to please a very vocal minority on their forum. I refuse to believe anyone in the Frontier office actually thought that system was a good design choice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Meatsicle posted:

Frontier is the most noncommittal game developer ever. They make terrible design decisions (ie PGs and solo) just to please a very vocal minority on their forum. I refuse to believe anyone in the Frontier office actually thought that system was a good design choice.

It was probably the best way of delivering the game (kind of) as promised without forking the code into two separate games.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Why are PG and solo terrible design decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

It was probably the best way of delivering the game (kind of) as promised without forking the code into two separate games.

That's all well and good, but hey maybe letting people seamlessly jump between solo and open is loving retarded and ripe for abuse. At the very least solo/pg and open should be 2 different profiles.

• Locked thread