Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

VolticSurge posted:

Is that accurate? Or did I miss something?
Don't forget that our opinions are terrible, because we like a cartoon character. That's important, too.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jedah posted:

Don't forget that our opinions are terrible, because we like a cartoon character. That's important, too.

Now,that just goes without saying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe dragon ball has never been concerned with the sort of moral nuance this discussion is trying to invoke

That Dragonball isn't concerned with it is reason enough to have the discussion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tellingly it's only the Vegeta-lovers that are insulting other posters, questioning their motives, threatening them and - worst of all - implying that Dragonball isn't good enough to be worthy of actual thought and analysis.

The cool Vegeta-haters are only posting about actual things that happen in the show, and therefore how much Vegeta sucks.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

sassassin posted:

Tellingly it's only the Vegeta-lovers that are insulting other posters

sassassin posted:

Jesus goons have some terrible opinions. What show are you watching?

Vegeta-lover spotted.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I apologise to all of Jesus' goons, I didn't realise they posted here.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

VolticSurge posted:

So,from what I've gathered so far,Vegeta is a terrible character and Reinanigans won't shut his/her trap about it until everyone agrees on the "fact". Is that accurate? Or did I miss something?

I mean, I said I'd drop it in my last post, but whatever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

If they were to fight right now, it would probably come down to how effectively Goku could use the Kaioken.

So just like their second to last fight then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vegeta is frequently more powerful than Goku but Goku has a better mastery of esoteric techniques which mean he'd probably win a straight fight. Vegeta only seems to go for sheer power and never really adapts outside of that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is Vegeta ever more powerful than Goku without also being weaker than an immediate threat?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sassassin posted:

Is Vegeta ever more powerful than Goku without also being weaker than an immediate threat?

When he first trained with Whis and arguably when they first fought the androids (17 and 18 weren't even mentioned at that point).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

He's stronger than Android Clownface (though Goku's got heart condition there) and Semi-Perfect Cell (though we don't know how Goku would have matched up by that point.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 25, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

He's more powerful than Goku the first time they fight unless Goku uses the kaio-ken, and he's more powerful than that when he turns into a giant ape.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's more powerful than Goku the first time they fight unless Goku uses the kaio-ken, and he's more powerful than that when he turns into a giant ape.

I think he's counting Freeza as imminent at that point since I THINK he was mentioned by then. Same with Cell (since we knew we had to see Cell's perfect form).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

I think he's counting Freeza as imminent at that point since I THINK he was mentioned by then. Same with Cell (since we knew we had to see Cell's perfect form).

I'm not sure where Freeza was originally mentioned in the manga - I most recently watched the Funimation dub so that's freshest in my mind, and I believe the first mention of Freeza in that is actually in the filler episodes where Bulma, Krillin and Gohan encounter the ship full of kids whose planet was conquered by Cui.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wasn't really thinking about when Vegeta was the legitimate villain of the piece.

Post-Goku cutting his balls off via Krillin not cutting his head off Vegeta.

In the Androids case Toriyama must have already planned to unleash 17 & 18 by the time Vegeta arrived to beat 19, otherwise I have no idea where that arc could have gone.

Trunks arrives and has to stop Vegeta from murdering everyone now he's a Super Saiyan (his literal stated plan just prior to 18 breaking him)?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Emasculation of Prince Vegeta by the Coward Son Goku.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Vegeta is cool and I'm glad he became a good guy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I say again: when I saw RoF, the crowd was generally cheery, tittering, etc, and then when Vegeta stepped up and went Blue near the end they lost their loving minds (same)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
People do like a good underdog story, and Vegeta's the only underdog with a story in Dragonball these days.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Vegeta in the last episode alone was amazing. Sorry for liking cool cartoon characters and not taking the deaths of fictional characters seriously.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hey Goku Black is in the new Xenoverse right? Can anyone post soundclips of what he sounds like in the English version?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hey Goku Black is in the new Xenoverse right? Can anyone post soundclips of what he sounds like in the English version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B44n0YgRxro

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdHVqhxVLQI

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I was looking forward to catching up with this thread again and then I just came back to people biting on the sassassin's troll bait.

Whatever, there's a discussion to be had here. The idolization of murderers in fiction and history isn't exactly new, it develops with distance to the events, you can already see a new generation growing up today not really caring about the atrocities of the great war.

Just look at how people remember ninjas, vikings, Ghengis Khan and Alexander the Great. For fiction, look at how vampires have changed roles from being a warning tale about rapists to be adoring heart cinema.

All awful things, yet it seems almost human to look at these terrible people and forgive them for some reason, even admire them as is the case with saiyans and Vegeta. What a filthy people.

-Zanmasu.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dr.acula posted:

Vegeta in the last episode alone was amazing. Sorry for liking cool cartoon characters and not taking the deaths of fictional characters seriously.

If you don't care what happens what's the point of watching?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm guessing Super Saiyan Rosé is too recent or too "big" for Black to have that ability in Xenoverse 2?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordaedil posted:

Just look at how people remember ninjas, vikings, Ghengis Khan and Alexander the Great. For fiction, look at how vampires have changed roles from being a warning tale about rapists to be adoring heart cinema.

Let's be honest, those "warnings" were written with one hand working furiously under the desk from the start.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm guessing Super Saiyan Rosé is too recent or too "big" for Black to have that ability in Xenoverse 2?

They've said it's going to be future DLC because it came out to late to be in the main game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

They've said it's going to be future DLC because it came out to late to be in the main game

I see, cool that they're going to though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black and Trunks (Super) were likely added very late and just because they're clones of existing characters, thus they were easy to make (seriously, Black uses Goku's fighting style when one of the clues that he wasn't Goku and was actually a God was that he didn't fight like Goku at all, instead having a formal style like a God's...lazy!). That said, Trunks has Super Saiyan 2, Masenko, Final Flash and even Galick Gun, so I have to wonder just how much Bamco knew. Then again, they might've just been told "Trunks will use his dad's moves", seeing as how he also has the Big Bang Attack, which I don't think Toriyama even remembers seeing as how it's the only named move that Vegeta hasn't used in Super.

I have no idea how Hit got in. He's completely unique, cool as hell, but also has no role in the story and is unlocked through a Dragon Ball wish so I guess he was added earlier but too late for the full U6 arc to be in the game, hence why Cabba and Final Frost are DLC. I'm guessing Rosé Black will join in the next DLC pack, alongside not-Blue Trunks, Zamasu and Fused Zamasu.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope they have the robot from U6

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Supposedly the devs didn't have much in the ways of special access to content so they could only put in stuff based on episodes that had already come out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Black and Trunks (Super) were likely added very late and just because they're clones of existing characters, thus they were easy to make (seriously, Black uses Goku's fighting style when one of the clues that he wasn't Goku and was actually a God was that he didn't fight like Goku at all, instead having a formal style like a God's...lazy!). That said, Trunks has Super Saiyan 2, Masenko, Final Flash and even Galick Gun, so I have to wonder just how much Bamco knew. Then again, they might've just been told "Trunks will use his dad's moves", seeing as how he also has the Big Bang Attack, which I don't think Toriyama even remembers seeing as how it's the only named move that Vegeta hasn't used in Super.

I have no idea how Hit got in. He's completely unique, cool as hell, but also has no role in the story and is unlocked through a Dragon Ball wish so I guess he was added earlier but too late for the full U6 arc to be in the game, hence why Cabba and Final Frost are DLC. I'm guessing Rosé Black will join in the next DLC pack, alongside not-Blue Trunks, Zamasu and Fused Zamasu.

In fairness, it was nigh on 30 episodes ago that the U6 arc started. There have been a couple of skipped weeks so it's not that hard to imagine that in the time they've had, they could have made Hit from the ground up, even on the likely incorrect assumption that all they would have had to go on is the anime.

Like you say though, they can probably get all this information from the horses mouth. There's no real reason for Toei/Shueisha to withhold information from them when they're doing something to make them big bucks.

e: In the time since I was typing:

Augus posted:

Supposedly the devs didn't have much in the ways of special access to content so they could only put in stuff based on episodes that had already come out.

Well ignore me then.
Still, that's really quite backwards.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Augus posted:

Guess that means there's no real hope of getting Trunks' new form then. You'd think Toei would be really close to the devs this time, since they have a brand new series with a highly acclaimed game soon to release.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Momomo posted:

Guess that means there's no real hope of getting Trunks' new form then. You'd think Toei would be really close to the devs this time, since they have a brand new series with a highly acclaimed game soon to release.

then again you'd think toei wouldn't cheap out so hard with the DBZ super animation considering it's the most popular anime franchise in the world, but there you go.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think that's precisely why they do.
I can, and has been, complete poo poo to look at and people will still watch it precisely because it's Dragonball.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
No need to invest in quality when most of your public both don't care and will watch it regardless of how much effort is put into it. Plus I kinda get the feeling Japan has different expectations with their AV stuff than us Western folks.

...huh, by the way, Spirited Away is the highest-grossing movie in theaters ever in Japan.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Black in the game does say "With this body, I can do anything". So it seems like they knew something about where the storyline was going in some capacity while making the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mordaedil posted:

Jesus, I was looking forward to catching up with this thread again and then I just came back to people biting on the sassassin's troll bait.
Well, I do apologize for that. While you didn't call me out specifically, I definitely took the bait. I admit it, when the bait is Vegeta, I can revert back to being a 12 year old kid. Probably because that's when I saw Goku vs. Vegeta battling on earth for the first time, and I had my mind blown. Vegeta's Galick Gun vs. Goku's Kaio-Ken-enhanced Kamehameha. That was like crack for a kid in 7th grade. I'm excited that today's newer audience get to experience Zamasu and Goku Black, because they're some of the best villains yet, perhaps even on par with good ole fashioned evil Vegeta.

• Locked thread