Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Andrast posted:

She obviously didn't understand she was hurting people

Yes, she is a psychopath with monster strength who flies into a death rage if she can't get what she wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

tsob posted:

"I like big beards and I can not lie
You other sistas can't deny
That when a guy walks in with a hairy chin
And a long thing on his face
You get sprung, want to feel that rough
'Cause you notice that beard was fluffed"

:golfclap:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They also didn't show the guy from the slave auction on Saobondy who joined Law's crew, Jean Bart.

But him, along with Oars and Li'l Oars Jr, might be from a different island of giants. They looked pretty different from the Elbaf giants, and didn't have the viking style clothes.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Semlas are the epitome of Nordic 'cuisine'. Cut the top off a bun and slap whipped cream on it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Should've given her lutefisk.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

My guess for the next chapter is Mother Caramel is accidentally devoured by Baby Mom. This accidentally gives her the power of the soul soul fruit that Mother Caramel had previously eaten. Due to this, she has no idea where Caramel went, but newly granted powers over souls. Mother Caramel never really used it, but that'd explain the good soul and nun motif.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ZiegeDame posted:

Yes, she is a psychopath with monster strength who flies into a death rage if she can't get what she wants.

She's a two year old who never realized you can't always get your way basically, because she always did get her way thanks to her biology. What's actually kind of sad is that she might still be fully waiting for the day her parents come back for her.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Communist Q posted:

My guess for the next chapter is Mother Caramel is accidentally devoured by Baby Mom. This accidentally gives her the power of the soul soul fruit that Mother Caramel had previously eaten. Due to this, she has no idea where Caramel went, but newly granted powers over souls. Mother Caramel never really used it, but that'd explain the good soul and nun motif.
If your theory is correct that also means Blackbeard ate Whitebeard :nms:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Begemot posted:

They also didn't show the guy from the slave auction on Saobondy who joined Law's crew, Jean Bart.

But him, along with Oars and Li'l Oars Jr, might be from a different island of giants. They looked pretty different from the Elbaf giants, and didn't have the viking style clothes.

jean bart is just a big human tho. he's like 12 feet tall or whatever like doflamingo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this arcs unreasonably good

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

If your theory is correct that also means Blackbeard ate Whitebeard :nms:

I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScV5tNmHbgw

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd love to see a big bad taken out by accidentally eating a second devil fruit. Big Mom would be a great opportunity for that.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Sarcophallus posted:

I'd love to see a big bad taken out by accidentally eating a second devil fruit. Big Mom would be a great opportunity for that.

Have we ever had any true proof that this is what happens? I know it's explicitly stated as common knowledge, but who would experiment?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sarcophallus posted:

Mr. Prince gets them real angry, then while they're yelling Usopp snipes a devil fruit into their mouth.

Then Nami flips out because that was hundreds of millions of berries that they just threw away.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tolth posted:

Have we ever had any true proof that this is what happens? I know it's explicitly stated as common knowledge, but who would experiment?

When CP9 are discussing it at Enies Lobby when Kaku and Kalifa eat their fruits it's brought up. Jyabura says that the two devils end up fighting but Blueno chides him saying that's hokum but that Navy scientists have confirmed you explode if you eat two.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

If only Carmel has given LinLin a fidget spinner, this entire tragedy could have been avoided. :(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So Mother Carmel's execution speech having a rainstorm appear and rainclouds appearing whenever Big Mom is angry about her commander's being beaten are the same power? Does she have access to two devil fruits (soul soul and whatever weather power carmel had)? She has a very strong/weird body like Blackbeard so that might have something to do with it. If you can survive the 2x devil fruit reaction maybe you get to keep both powers...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So Mother Carmel's execution speech having a rainstorm appear and rainclouds appearing whenever Big Mom is angry about her commander's being beaten are the same power? Does she have access to two devil fruits (soul soul and whatever weather power carmel had)? She has a very strong/weird body like Blackbeard so that might have something to do with it. If you can survive the 2x devil fruit reaction maybe you get to keep both powers...

Her weather power comes from her miniature sun and cloud (Zeus and Prometheus) which are just normal things infused with her her own soul.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

But maybe Mother Caramel is the previous user of Dragon's weather fruit :tinfoil:

Or it's just symbolic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't think they showed all the giants thus-far seen. There are a lot of giants seen in Marineford. Not many named, though, outside V.A. John Giant and Oars Jr.

Also Jaguar D. Saul and Bastille

I think only Elbaf Giants were shown.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

key party favors posted:

If only Carmel has given LinLin a fidget spinner, this entire tragedy could have been avoided. :(

To go off topic for a moment, you mention this, and my youtube recommendations this week are filled with this, but I've literally never heard of it before. Is this a fad that popped up just this week, or what?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Bobulus posted:

To go off topic for a moment, you mention this, and my youtube recommendations this week are filled with this, but I've literally never heard of it before. Is this a fad that popped up just this week, or what?

They first got on my radar maybe 6 months ago, but really hit mainstream hard this month.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

But maybe Mother Caramel is the previous user of Dragon's weather fruit :tinfoil:

Or it's just symbolic.

He doesn't have weather he has the air logia imo. He's only ever shown powerful gales and that lightning strike which is more likely just him creating static.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

EmmyOk posted:

He doesn't have weather he has the air logia imo. He's only ever shown powerful gales and that lightning strike which is more likely just him creating static.

and it would explain why he is never caught. Cause he keeps disappearing into thin.... air! :downsrim:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Still its probably significant that a storm appeared when carmel was trying to appeal to the masses about heavens wishes or whatever

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

But if he has a weather fruit he can use it for fun shenanigans ala Weather Report in JoJo! (probably with fewer people getting turned into snails)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Still its probably significant that a storm appeared when carmel was trying to appeal to the masses about heavens wishes or whatever

She's just a despicable criminal using her vast stores of Dance Powder for dramatic effect.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Dragon has the proper version of Momonosuke's DF.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Silver2195 posted:

I think Dragon has the proper version of Momonosuke's DF.

There will be a shot of his tattoo expanding and turning into actual scales. Dragon is totally a dragon.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Bobulus posted:

Yep, just some kinda fad. probably not really worth even mentioning... I just found Big Mom's childhood characterization pretty interesting... she's basically a very simple minded insanely strong child... It seems like she might just be a big baby who is playing house, and she gets to be the mom. Also, I really like how Oda draws old women, Tsuru, Carmel, Kureha, Kokoro.. Lots of power grans in One Piece, when you think about it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oda has said in some SBS that he likes the concept of people who were powerful in their youth retaining that strength into their late age unlike in real life.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lpzie posted:

Oda has said in some SBS that he likes the concept of people who were powerful in their youth retaining that strength into their late age unlike in real life.

She is definitely going to be in the Garp-tier of strong. I love older characters rolling younger ones and calling them brats.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really do appreciate Big Mom's backstory is basically her being a worthless spoiled child who no one ever said no to. No tragedy that takes her character in a 180, it only reinforces her lovely behavior. Luffy stomping the shittiness out of her is going to be cathartic.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

Yep, just some kinda fad. probably not really worth even mentioning... I just found Big Mom's childhood characterization pretty interesting... she's basically a very simple minded insanely strong child... It seems like she might just be a big baby who is playing house, and she gets to be the mom. Also, I really like how Oda draws old women, Tsuru, Carmel, Kureha, Kokoro.. Lots of power grans in One Piece, when you think about it.

grand grans, if u will

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jimbot posted:

I really do appreciate Big Mom's backstory is basically her being a worthless spoiled child who no one ever said no to. No tragedy that takes her character in a 180, it only reinforces her lovely behavior. Luffy stomping the shittiness out of her is going to be cathartic.

Plenty of people said "no". It just didn't matter because they couldn't enforce that denial so she never learned anything. I find her origin genuinely tragic because she's an average bratty child, just one that society is incapable of educating in social dynamics and emotional maturity. It's not her fault she couldn't learn, because she was just acting like any other child with the difference that she got away with it. It'll still be really satisfying to see her beaten, but personally I'm hoping there's a cover story about her learning from it later, not just that she goes down and that's it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I was expecting Big Mom to have like abandonment issues given the lead-in at the end of last chapter, and hating Giants because she was Half-Giant or whatever and so she got bullied for that and abandoned for similar reasons. Turns out, no, she's just fuckhuge because she's a giant but not a Giant and has always been a lovely brat who doesn't understand the word "no" and thinks tearing people apart is helping them. Unlike with Doflamingo, there is totally an undercurrent of sadness to her backstory though it's subtle and implied rather than the focus or something that had any real impact on Big Mom directly. It's more of a causation thing with how her being abandoned by her parents lead into her being functionally adopted by Mother Caramel and then everything that happened as a result of that.

It's also interesting that Mother Caramel is sort of a vague Mother Theresa-esque figure, though with a clear indication that's not always a good thing. By never explicitly punishing or telling off Big Mom, she never really grew up and so while Mother Caramel has really good intentions, her method is questionable at best and she's not necessarily all that good at being a parental figure as a result. You can see the obvious results of both aspects to Mother Caramel's ideology and how that led to Whole Cake Island and Big Mom's want for a big multicultural family and also how she's just a fundamentally lovely person who gets what she wants, always, or she will flip the gently caress out and murder dudes. Because she's functionally just a giant baby throwing a tantrum since she never learned anything else.

I totally don't expect to feel sad about Big Mom getting punched out at the end of this, but it won't quite have the same feeling of catharsis as Doflamingo either. I'm looking forward to the major bad guy backstories almost all being about how they were just lovely people who never really changed. I absolutely expect Blackbeard to be the only real exception at this point.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
There are real kids who are unable to feel pain... most of them die from self inflicted injuries. You can tell a kid not to do things all you want, but it turns out it's really hard to convince a toddler not to bash their heads into a wall repeatedly once he or she realizes you can see funny colors by doing that.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Bobulus posted:

I've been travelling Europe the past 2 weeks and every vendor, streetperson and store has them for sale. I only heard of them like a month ago.

Back on topic: gently caress yeah Elbaf. I'm glad the whole mother Caramel ties into Big Mom's hate for giants, Lola's marriage, and all our favorite giants. This arc has had amazing pacing. Its like Oda stretched out Dressrosa so he'd have extra time putting the finishing touches on Totland.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bobulus posted:

Youtube has just tagged you as a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

anime was right posted:

grand grans, if u will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotWpgHR6_k Great Grandmas

Also, Semlor are great and it's not just "a bun with cream". It's a spectacularly delicious bun with cream.