Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Just saw Reid's article about Jund and he had Kalitas in there for the Abzan Company matchup which makes alot of sense. I didn't think about that matchup.

Slaughter Pact, Seal of Fire, and LoTV are also nice ways to ensure you have a higher likelihood of getting immediate value out of Kalitas without needing to untap or play her with extra open mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Slaughter Pact, Seal of Fire, and LoTV are also nice ways to ensure you have a higher likelihood of getting immediate value out of Kalitas without needing to untap or play her with extra open mana.

Pact and Seal of Fire seem like a lot of work and if you have an active Lili you're already a big favorite.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Jund wins games with card advantage of bob, kcommand, and lily. Its 1v1 suite is also really flexible. Tie that together with efficient beaters at 2 and 4 mana and there you have it. Its also a really hard deck to play at times. You just have so few blowout wins and going 9+ rounds with it can be a grind.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 8, 2016

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I did like the suggestion to errata eye of ugin to only be able to reduce the costs of legendary eldrazi...

Has there been precedence for Wizards doing something like this? Because both of those changes really solve the problem, and have good reasonable flavor as well. Having to protect your sole legendary would really open strategy up and help slow down the onslaught of eldrazi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Jund wins games with card advantage of bob, kcommand, and lily. Its 1v1 suite is also really flexible. Tie that together with efficient beaters at 2 and 4 mana and there you have it.

Its also a really hard deck to play at times. You just have so few blowout wins and going 9+ rounds with it can be exhausting.

I played the deck for a bit and it just wasn't for me. Maybe I wasn't good enough to play it but I had a bunch of success with Legacy Jund and the Modern deck just felt so nerfed to me in comparison. Sure if you have an active Bob or Lili out there you're going to win on those cards alone but that so rarely seemed to be the case, at least for me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Functional errata sucks and thankfully they don't do it anymore.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Pact and Seal of Fire seem like a lot of work and if you have an active Lili you're already a big favorite.

I mean, they're also good cards in their own right that serve other purposes (Seal specifically being able to go under counterspells against Grixis and being another card type for Tarmogoyf, to mention some straight from Reid's mouth).

edit: The comments on Wescoe's The 10 Best Decks in Modern article from Friday are humorous.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 8, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I mean, they're also good cards in their own right that serve other purposes (Seal specifically being able to go under counterspells against Grixis and being another card type for Tarmogoyf, to mention some straight from Reid's mouth).

^^^^^
Best part of Wescoe's article is how he thinks Tron runs over Storm and that it stands no chance vs Burn...

Yeah I read the article. What is he killing with a seal in Grixis? I didn't understand that. Is he talking about Grixis Delver? Cause Delver is HORRIBLE in modern.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 8, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chairman Pow! posted:

Has there been precedence for Wizards doing something like this? Because both of those changes really solve the problem, and have good reasonable flavor as well. Having to protect your sole legendary would really open strategy up and help slow down the onslaught of eldrazi.

Quite the opposite, they've said they won't do functional errata, and haven't since ye olden dayes of magic.

They'll update templating, but they quite sensibly want cards to actually do what it says on the card that the card does.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I read the article. What is he killing with a seal in Grixis? I didn't understand that. Is he talking about Grixis Delver? Cause Delver is HORRIBLE in modern.

He was talking about the times you need two spells to take down an Angler (ie: double bolt) and your second one would inevitably get countered, blowing you out. Seal allows you to Bolt first, if it's countered, fine, and if it isn't, fling your Seal to finish it off without fear. This isn't the primary use for Seal, mind you (he cites Affinity and Infect as the obvious main targets, and I shouldn't have really said "specifically" in my first post, re Grixis), but is a nice incidental bonus against a different deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

edit: The comments on Wescoe's The 10 Best Decks in Modern article from Friday are humorous.

it's funny in hindsight but i'm not gonna blame him for missing a totally new deck that didn't exist like, 2 weeks ago

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious how Eldrazi does against fair decks with actual killspells and wraths (instead of cards like Bolt and Abrupt Decay that don't hit most of their stuff). Say something with a bunch of paths and Doom Blade-like effects.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm curious how Eldrazi does against fair decks with actual killspells and wraths (instead of cards like Bolt and Abrupt Decay that don't hit most of their stuff). Say something with a bunch of paths and Doom Blade-like effects.

Horribly. You can't one for one that deck out and it destroys anything fair. The only way to beat it is to be faster and more broken than it is. An affinity nut draw or turn 3 Tron or Goryo's vengeance or infect.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terminate your Reality Smasher, discarding and casting with madness Big Game Hunter, targeting your Thought-Knot Seer.

Just kidding, Thought-Knot shreds your hand and you still die haha

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Horribly. You can't one for one that deck out and it destroys anything fair. The only way to beat it is to be faster and more broken than it is. An affinity nut draw or turn 3 Tron or Goryo's vengeance or infect.

This kind of sweeping general state to is dumb. It's been 1 pro tour. There haven't even been any matches with updated lists to handle the new decks.

Stop hyperventilating about Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's funny in hindsight but i'm not gonna blame him for missing a totally new deck that didn't exist like, 2 weeks ago

How did every single person at my FNM know about it then? Pretty much every table was Eldrazi even 2 weeks ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This kind of sweeping general state to is dumb. It's been 1 pro tour. There haven't even been any matches with updated lists to handle the new decks.

Stop hyperventilating about Eldrazi.

LSV said that this Eldrazi deck was more broken than Caw Blade.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/695757452441026560

This appears to be saying the exact opposite.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

How did every single person at my FNM know about it then? Pretty much every table was Eldrazi even 2 weeks ago.

i'm going off the Pro Tour, i dont really give a gently caress about your anecdotal evidence

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

He didn't say that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Again, you are delusional if you don't think running 8 untapped Sol lands is busted beyond belief, one of which completely randomly lets you fetch any creature in your deck.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm going off the Pro Tour, i dont really give a gently caress about your anecdotal evidence

The thing that fascinates me is that you managed to capitalize "Pro Tour" but not anything else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rogue0071 posted:

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/695757452441026560

This appears to be saying the exact opposite.

He's saying second "best" here. He did say it was more broken or more unfair on the stream. Due to the manabase.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The thing that fascinates me is that you managed to capitalize "Pro Tour" but not anything else.

lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
eXcuSe me, LMaO

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What makes it obvious that you can't removal out a relatively slow deck (ie usually turn 4 or later) that primarily consists of dumb creatures?

mcmagic posted:

He's saying second "best" here. He did say it was more broken or more unfair on the stream. Due to the manabase.
Well sure, Caw-Blade was a fair deck. Most modern decks are more unfair than it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What makes it obvious that you can't removal out a relatively slow deck (ie usually turn 4 or later) that primarily consists of dumb creatures?

Relatively slow? Did you watch the Pro Tour?

And the reason going 1-for-1 one removal against it is very difficult is because Thought-Knot comes down before you can even cast relevant removal, strips it out of your hand, then Reality Smasher makes you 2-for-1 yourself to get it off the board, meanwhile a free 2/1 is consistently morphing into a 4/4 or 5/5, and then when you run out of gas, you get to tutor every turn.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well sure, Caw-Blade was a fair deck. Most modern decks are more unfair than it.

The solution for white decks is to just load up on Worship and hope you can land it. That's why it's magically a 20 dollar card now. The problem isn't whether cards actually exist to hate it out, its whether its format warping. Yet none of these solutions seem to solve the fundamental problem: I watched LSV play 4 mana of spells on turn 1 and another 4 the turn after that, swing for 8 and steal his opponent's best answer.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 8, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Relatively slow? Did you watch the Pro Tour?

And the reason going 1-for-1 one removal against it is very difficult is because Thought-Knot comes down before you can even cast relevant removal, strips it out of your hand, then Reality Smasher makes you 2-for-1 yourself to get it off the board, meanwhile a free 2/1 is consistently morphing into a 4/4 or 5/5, and then when you run out of gas, you get to tutor every turn.

did we watch the same pro tour b/c iirc a lot of games involved actually activating eye of ugin

obviously it's time to start playing 4x mana tithe in every deck :getin:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 8, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

did we watch the same pro tour b/c iirc a lot of games involved actually activating eye of ugin

Last time I checked, sol-lands and sol-lands on crack aren't referred to as slow mana for a reason. I'll grant that games can go long, but I'd love to see stats on the breakdown between games where the Eldrazi player runs out of gas is resorting to Eye activations to win, and games where it gets off to starts that lead to this tweet:

"Slow" isn't the word that comes to mind to describe a deck that can have openers like that even 30% of the time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Right I forgot, now that it's had a good performance it gets the nut draw every single time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Magic is dead again, pack it in boys.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

I watched a pro tour game, I think it was the finals, where an asian and white guy calmly played the game with hands not incessantly shuffling every 5 seconds. I couldn't believe I was watching wizard poker.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

I watched a pro tour game, I think it was the finals, where an asian and white guy calmly played the game with hands not incessantly shuffling every 5 seconds. I couldn't believe I was watching wizard poker.

It was pretty refreshing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Right I forgot, now that it's had a good performance it gets the nut draw every single time.

This is the only rationale I can comprehend for why people play that awful "goon deck" in legacy.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

I'll just leave you with this prescient MTGS thread from 6 years ago:

Is Anyone Surprised At How Fast Eldrazi Creatures Enter The Battlefield?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The real issue here is that it seems that if decks get adjusted to heavily shore up the eldrazi matchup it will just create larger holes in others, leading to even more of an RPS format, which isn't very fun.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

When a below average draw involves dropping 4/4s on turn 3 that disrupt and the nut draw does 25 damage on turn 2, well, it might be problematic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Set 2

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I was actually very excited after the PT and thought about wanting to play magic again but then I read

quote:

Ken Nagle (lead)

talk about a mood killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ah, good to know we'll be getting another Tamiyo.

• Locked thread