Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

catlord posted:

Just saw Guardians 2. I'm inclined to agree, not as good as the first but still good.

I think the first GotG was more plot focused while the second was more character-driven without much of a plot at all. I think that when people are saying they liked the first one better it was because of this. Am I on the right track here?

To be clear, I'm absolutely not trying to challenge your take -- I agree with it, actually -- but rather I'm trying to pinpoint exactly why the second movie didn't quite work. Most reviewers are arguing that it's because the second film is just 'more of the same' but I'm not buying that. The characters are the same, obviously, but the two films are telling what I thought are very different stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I really love that when Peter finds out that Ego straight up murdered his mom, he does not hesitate to start shooting.

That and "You shouldn't have killed my mom and smashed my Walkman!" actually worked out for me despite the fact that neither would in another movie. The villain sucked me in even if I knew where it was all going. I just wish the movie didn't do a joke a minute. It was like Deadpool almost, but I felt Deadpool landed way more than Guardians 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yakmouth posted:

I think the first GotG was more plot focused while the second was more character-driven without much of a plot at all. I think that when people are saying they liked the first one better it was because of this. Am I on the right track here?

To be clear, I'm absolutely not trying to challenge your take -- I agree with it, actually -- but rather I'm trying to pinpoint exactly why the second movie didn't quite work. Most reviewers are arguing that it's because the second film is just 'more of the same' but I'm not buying that. The characters are the same, obviously, but the two films are telling what I thought are very different stories.

I wouldn't say it didn't quite work, I still thought it was quite good and it seems like most people tend to agree, but the change in focus from an external plot to a character focus is probably the biggest difference between the two. However, I think the bigger thing is less the change in focus and more that it's a bit slower, and the jokes, while good, don't land as hard as the first one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Caught the double feature Thursday. Still almost cried at the beginning of the first one (my mom had cancer when it originally came out). She's cancer free now, and we've been bonding over the two soundtracks. She's a big fan of Brandi.

Loved both movies in 3D. Movie wasn't subtle at all, and I don't mind that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, remember when people were worried Bautista was going to be terrible and bring the whole thing down?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Saw GotG2 today. Marvel's really getting their money out of that deaging technology. Probably the best quality of it yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Retro Futurist posted:

Man, remember when people were worried Bautista was going to be terrible and bring the whole thing down?

At that time, the only thing I'd seen him in is Man with The Iron Fists, which is just terrible.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Guardians 2 is a character hangout comedy, punctuated by some trippy visuals and action sequences. That's different from the first one, and probably makes it work better on repeated viewings when you know where everything is going and aren't just wondering what's up with Kurt Russel's beard. They were clearly cribbing from Empire Strikes Back (split up the gang, end with a confrontation between the hero and his evil dad), with the biggest structural difference being that there are multiple unaffiliated antagonists, which ends up being GOTG2's biggest weakness. Besides ESB, the final fight against a cosmic elemental dad is also weirdly reminiscent of Ang Lee's Hulk. James Gunn's ability to use pop culture references to reveal characters' emotions without falling into "the joke is the reference" laziness is an asset. Drax is the best, Baby Groot wasn't overused, and while I felt like some of the jokes didn't quite land I'd definitely like to give it a re-watch in 6 months and see how it holds up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

WHOOPS posted:

Saw GotG2 today. Marvel's really getting their money out of that deaging technology. Probably the best quality of it yet.

Oh yeah that was another thing I noticed. I didn't really notice the much-lauded use of it in Ant-Man (probably because it was super brief) but drat it works great now. We've come a long way from Tron 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Final WW trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB4wGIdDwo

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The Jump sequence with yondu and rocket is not getting enough praise here.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

I liked GotG2 a lot, but that particular scene didn't really work for me? It was maybe the one part of the movie that felt too cartoony -- maybe if they'd already established that 50+ jumps was dangerous it would have worked, but as written it felt gratuitously 'wacky'.

You should probably give people some context for which film you're spoilering btw.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man if this doesn't turn out to be great then they've done a great job of tricking me into thinking so.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I really dug Guardians Vol. 2, the soundtrack definitely wasn't as well-integrated as the first film and overall it didn't feel like as much of a surprise, which is to be expected really, but overall I quite liked it. The performances are still super-strong, even if Zoe Saldana is seriously underused again, and Dave Bautista is really shaping up to be a credible performer in more than just comedy/deadpan moments (though he's still killing that.) To my surprise I even cried at the Ravager funeral fireworks. The one plot point that didn't really make sense to me was Yondu being exiled from the Ravagers for shipping children to Ego decades after the last time he did that. There was nothing that I caught that explains the serious lag-time in his punishment which made that bit really loving strange to me.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

rantmo posted:

I really dug Guardians Vol. 2, the soundtrack definitely wasn't as well-integrated as the first film and overall it didn't feel like as much of a surprise, which is to be expected really, but overall I quite liked it. The performances are still super-strong, even if Zoe Saldana is seriously underused again, and Dave Bautista is really shaping up to be a credible performer in more than just comedy/deadpan moments (though he's still killing that.) To my surprise I even cried at the Ravager funeral fireworks. The one plot point that didn't really make sense to me was Yondu being exiled from the Ravagers for shipping children to Ego decades after the last time he did that. There was nothing that I caught that explains the serious lag-time in his punishment which made that bit really loving strange to me.

I thought that he had been exiled a long time ago, this was just the first time he'd seen Starhawk in a while. He's been an exiled Ravager for decades now, we just didn't realize the intricacies of Ravager politics until this movie. That said, it was obviously just Stallone taking revenge on Rooker for being so mean to him in Cliffhanger. He tried to save her, Rooker, honest!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My GF was sobbing throughout the end of GotG 2. We both liked it more than the first. She really likes Mantis and wants to cosplay her.

She sort of figured out Ego was evil because "no good guy would name themselves Ego"

Also I thought about this, but, why didn't Ego just give themselves a female body so they wouldn't have to travel around impregnating women and just carry their child to term in the comfort of their home planet (saves them time having to wait for the mother to give birth and all). I guess that's too much logic for a comic book movie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lager posted:

I thought that he had been exiled a long time ago, this was just the first time he'd seen Starhawk in a while. He's been an exiled Ravager for decades now, we just didn't realize the intricacies of Ravager politics until this movie.

Yeah, that's the best explanation probably but it seemed like a lot of that conversation lead directly into the mutiny that followed and so was all set in the few months between films. It's really unclear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rantmo posted:

Yeah, that's the best explanation probably but it seemed like a lot of that conversation lead directly into the mutiny that followed and so was all set in the few months between films. It's really unclear.

The mutiny was because they were out for the bounty on Rocket & Co, but Yondu was going to let them go in exchange for the batteries. Taserface's argument was that this (plus teaming up with them at the end of GotG 1) meant Yondu was going soft and didn't have the stones to cash in what was a better bounty for the crew.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

Man if this doesn't turn out to be great then they've done a great job of tricking me into thinking so.

You and me both dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

I remember loving Suicide Squad's trailer.

But other trailers after the initial ones tempered my expectations. Also the reports of how the Trailer wildly misrepresented the movie and there had to be reshoots to make it more like the trailer lol.

But yeah. WW looks real good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

I remember loving Suicide Squad's trailer.

But other trailers after the initial ones tempered my expectations. Also the reports of how the Trailer wildly misrepresented the movie and there had to be reshoots to make it more like the trailer lol.

But yeah. WW looks real good.

And if I'm remembering right, they ended up doing two cuts of the film, one of which was by the people who cut the trailer, because it had gotten such a positive response (But people that make trailers aren't necessarily great at editing whole movies). Then they combined those two cuts to make the final version we all ended up seeing, and immediately regretting.

Which kinda explains the countless scenes that came off like they were created by a teenager experimenting with Windows Movie Maker who LOVES adding Evanescence music over clips from their favorite animes.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Using the same action sequences multiple times in one trailer makes me unreasonably angry.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The Watcher cameo really gives me hope that Marvel can get other Cosmic stuff back from Fox, too. I really really, want a Silver Surfer movie. Plus all the other stuff, like the other Elders of the Universe, Moondragon, the Universal Church of Truth, Adam Warlock and Magus, more Celestials.

Basically, if the Cosmic Marvel stuff never crosses over with the Avengers stuff, but just continues to build its Fantasy Space Universe, I'd be completely fine with that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

e X posted:

The Watcher cameo really gives me hope that Marvel can get other Cosmic stuff back from Fox, too. I really really, want a Silver Surfer movie. Plus all the other stuff, like the other Elders of the Universe, Moondragon, the Universal Church of Truth, Adam Warlock and Magus, more Celestials.

Basically, if the Cosmic Marvel stuff never crosses over with the Avengers stuff, but just continues to build its Fantasy Space Universe, I'd be completely fine with that.
Well supposedly either Gunn or Feige said they are planning to do Adam Warlock, where they would introduce him in GotG3 and then spin him off into his own film

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's 0% chance of being an ADAM WARLOCK SOLO FILM dude, I don't know where you're getting your info from.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had thought I had seen comments about that by Feige but apparently he was saying that Warlock was not going to appear in the next Avengers movie, but would likely be in a future GotG film.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rough Lobster posted:

There's 0% chance of being an ADAM WARLOCK SOLO FILM dude, I don't know where you're getting your info from.

To be fair, if you'd said at the start of the decade that Guardians of the Galaxy would soon be a major motion picture, you'd get laughed the gently caress outta town.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just in case you missed them, Gunn talks a bit about each post-credits scenes and also about a sixth one that didn't make the cut

If you're allergic to links, the deleted scene was "The scene Gunn left out involved Gef the Ravager, a quirky supporting character played by Steve Agee, who was hit by Yondu’s deadly arrow during a major fight. The director filmed a scene where heroes Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Mantis (Pom Klementieff) are conversing and suddenly hear screaming. “We realize that Gef has been on the ship the entire time mortally wounded," Gunn says. "It ended up being a little confusing.”

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

rantmo posted:

Man, more praise for Batista. He only had two particularly serious beats and he nailed both of them to me. Not all of the emotional moments landed for me (I just couldn't get into Rocket learning not to be an rear end in a top hat or Nebula) but the MCU movies do well with pathos more often than not for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL." is the best line Michael Rooker has ever had in a movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kingtheninja posted:

I really want a breakdown of that scene, stuff goes by so far I know there's a ton of easter eggs in it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Who thought it was a good idea to play that lame-rear end butt rock under the trailer?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL." is the best line Michael Rooker has ever had in a movie.

Third act stuff: It's also a really sweet and kind of important line too, because Starlord not explaining that he was making fun of Yondu is pretty much the moment where he makes the turn to seeing that Yondu was the father he wanted the whole time. Honestly, Pratt sold that entire arc amazingly. That scene, the sheer terror when he realises what Yondu's done with the jetpack and spacesuit and the eulogy were pitch-perfect performance wise from him.

I saw one review say that Yondu basically got the 'hero edit' (basically when a person in a reality show has the show built around how awesome they are and making them sympathetic) and it's kinda true. Even when Nebula takes him out it's by shooting him in the back and it's made clear that if she hadn't, he would've beaten his whole crew single-handedly. Plus he's humbled and beaten so that it feels like he gets punished for any of his transgressions, and then the whole arc from him admitting his faults to Rocket and then the redemption...

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 8, 2017

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
All the Skurge talk actually made me look up the Thor trailer and have to say, Immigrant Song is a terrible choice and a great example on how dumb marketing trends can be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Immigrant Song is used on the best trailer ever made, though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schneider Heim posted:

Also I thought about this, but, why didn't Ego just give themselves a female body so they wouldn't have to travel around impregnating women and just carry their child to term in the comfort of their home planet (saves them time having to wait for the mother to give birth and all). I guess that's too much logic for a comic book movie.

Interesting question. If you have to break it down to the most logical conclusion If your entire point is to make a child that has enough celestial essence in them to effectively count as one, and you want this done as quickly as possible, it makes more sense to be a male and impregnate as many females as possible. If you reverse it, then you would have to bring the child to term, birth it, and then test for celestial, and if not, repeat over and over again. This is also assuming that there was no way to be certain that pregnancy would result in a celestial child. You could also throw on the Disney magic of "Celestial children could only be created from a joining of love" but that gives weight to the idea that Ego loved Peter's mom and that bothers me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

e X posted:

All the Skurge talk actually made me look up the Thor trailer and have to say, Immigrant Song is a terrible choice and a great example on how dumb marketing trends can be.

I'm not really sure I could disagree more with a post than I do with this one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just assumed it was a sarcastic post.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh.

https://twitter.com/MarceloJPico/status/861339399635783686

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yes, yes, because PETER's the only one with a hosed up childhood which could mess someone's emotional maturity vis a vis relationships.

I'm not as sour on Landis as some, but jesus, dude, that's being either deliberately obtuse, or having literally no concept that women have minds and emotions as well.

(Peter's keeping it secret because Gamora turned him down in the first movie and he doesn't want it to be awkward so he's pretending he's not into her)

• Locked thread