Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Peachstapler posted:

His internals might show the gap narrowing enough that he has a very good chance there. Being a bastard to Trump seems to have narrowed the margin, so we're definitely going to see another two weeks of the lowbrow jokes and calling him a con-man.

As a Floridian, I can't see victory for Rubio in FL. He's burned basically every bridge he had there on his way up - he's burned the tea partiers he rode to the Senate on (over a split ticket, of course), FL moderates won't forget that they wish he was Charlie Crist, and everyone in the state has been inundated with the narrative that he's essentially abandoned his responsibilities as our Senator for months.

Nobody like the little poo poo before, and they definitely don't like him now. Maybe he pulls in "not Trump" votes if people can't stomach Cruz, but I think Donald maintains his commanding lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

all three are GE long shots, but the problem the party has with trump specifically is that even a trump GE victory isn't good for them. it would be a wrenching realignment of party orthodoxy on a number of issues that are very important to parts of the base (PP and likely other social wedge issues), the donor class (immigration) and the hawkish part of the coalition (foreign intervention). that's the only reason i can think of that they'd rather ratfuck trump and guarantee a loss in November-- they'd rather keep control of their party and retake the White House in 2020 or 2024.

i still think they won't try to screw him and he will be the nominee, but who knows anymore? they know it would be chaos on the convention floor and annihilate their chances at both the Presidential and Congressional levels, but maybe they're that desperate and spiteful?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

TheTatteredKing posted:

Trump is doing too well to dip out and take the libertarian nom.

What kind of drugs are you on to even write this? Third party doesn't automatically equal Libertarian. Trump is the opposite of what Libertarians would want especially those principled enough to have voted Libertarian before. There have been articles that say the only true linking of Trump voters it their statist tendencies which flies in the face of Libertarian values.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Totalizator posted:

The funniest thing is that Ben Carson would probably show up to work more often then Rubio did (he would still probably sleep on the senate floor).

People think he gets in early every day but he just hasn't woken up after the previous day's session.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

xwing posted:

What kind of drugs are you on to even write this? Third party doesn't automatically equal Libertarian. Trump is the opposite of what Libertarians would want especially those principled enough to have voted Libertarian before. There have been articles that say the only true linking of Trump voters it their statist tendencies which flies in the face of Libertarian values.

There was a poll posted here a while ago that in a hypothetical Libertarian primary with Trump, he would win.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Montasque posted:

Chuck Todd: An Incumbent Republican Senator May Endorse Hillary Clinton:

As a GOP incumbent I hereby endorse Hillary Clinton's 1 or 2 nominees to the Supreme Court.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

all three are GE long shots, but the problem the party has with trump specifically is that even a trump GE victory isn't good for them. it would be a wrenching realignment of party orthodoxy on a number of issues that are very important to parts of the base (PP and likely other social wedge issues), the donor class (immigration) and the hawkish part of the coalition (foreign intervention). that's the only reason i can think of that they'd rather ratfuck trump and guarantee a loss in November-- they'd rather keep control of their party and retake the White House in 2020 or 2024.

i still think they won't try to screw him and he will be the nominee, but who knows anymore? they know it would be chaos on the convention floor and annihilate their chances at both the Presidential and Congressional levels, but maybe they're that desperate and spiteful?

It's going to depend on what they believe his general election chances are. If he can win, they will have to screw him. If it looks like he loses in a landslide, then they can allow him to technically take the nomination, but provide very little support, divert donors to the down ticket races, while encouraging a mass condemnation of him by every elected official who can afford to do so without losing their seat.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A billionaire captain of industry who is Definitely Not Racist sounds like a pretty natural fit, really.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Marco Scrubio

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

Chuck Todd: An Incumbent Republican Senator May Endorse Hillary Clinton:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/01/chuck_todd_an_incumbent_republican_senator_may_endorse_hillary_clinton.html

After Iowa he learned his lesson.

I legit did a spit take and I'm not even drinking anything. Absolute madness

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/705057073667637248

The GOP has entered the third stage of Trump doom.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
Trump should seriously skip the next debate and then do an immediate rebuttal afterwards via satellite. It would get more viewers that the debate itself.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I haven't done the math. If trump wins Ohio or Florida that basically ruins the keep him under 1237 right?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Trump will be prepared for Marco doing juvenile insults this time around and will happily beat him at that level of discourse.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Would Trump or Cruz lead to a bigger victory for Democrats?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

It's going to depend on what they believe his general election chances are. If he can win, they will have to screw him. If it looks like he loses in a landslide, then they can allow him to technically take the nomination, but provide very little support, divert donors to the down ticket races, while encouraging a mass condemnation of him by every elected official who can afford to do so without losing their seat.

the dolchstoss narrative that would come out of that would be almost as bad as if they screw him. the man has a giant gold-plated ego and thin skin; when he loses he's gonna holler betrayal and blame everyone else for it, especially the RNC. if he's the nom at least some of the party apparatus has to back him. the unknown factor here is how many Rs simply cannot, as human beings with personal beliefs, bring themselves to endorse him. it's not zero, and some will be very highly placed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

xwing posted:

Believe it or not, but much of the Libertarian party's support comes not from dedicated defenders of small government and state's rights, but from the reactionary paleoconservative dredges of the far-right. A lot of whom are now finding their proper home in Trump's ranks.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TyrantWD posted:

The other party is getting pulled further and further to the left.

i forgot people actually, sincerely believe this lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/eliotnelson/status/705057282883772416

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I can't wait for the GOP to ditch Rubio and use Cruz as the new Anti-Trump.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Would Trump or Cruz lead to a bigger victory for Democrats?

Probably Cruz. He has way less of the charisma or outsider appeal Trump has while running on the hardest of hardline conservative platforms. Outside of his tea party bubble and the deep south I don't see him driving turnout. Trump might scare more dems into showing up, but I don't think it's hard for Clinton campaign to make Cruz look like the great satan to drive Dem turnout either.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Homework Explainer posted:

i forgot people actually, sincerely believe this lol

The base of the party is. The party itself...not so much.

Blasmeister posted:

Trump might scare more dems into showing up, but I don't think it's hard for Clinton campaign to make Cruz look like the great satan to drive Dem turnout either.

Would they really need to do anything?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

xwing posted:

They're not picky, they've nominated guys before that are terrible libertarians.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

xwing posted:

The drugs of this thread. We discussed it. They're on the ballot of 49 States, and would probably like the viability boost of having the big guy in their ticket. The party isn't considered to have big ideological scruples.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Tavis Smiley: Black America could get on Trump train

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/03/01/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-black-voters-primary-elections-2016-column/81150932/

CHOO-CHOO!!!!

ALL ABOARD THE TRUMP TRAIN!!!

RED AND YELLOW BLACK AND WHITE, WE ARE PRECIOUS IN HIS SIGHT

DONALD TRUMPS LOVES US ALL LETS BUILD THE WALL

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Tavis Smiley: Black America could get on Trump train

When Trump is President, it won't just be black people getting on the trains.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:lol: That is wonderful.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

TheTatteredKing posted:

The drugs of this thread. We discussed it. They're on the ballot of 49 States, and would probably like the viability boost of having the big guy in their ticket. The party isn't considered to have big ideological scruples.

I apparently missed it, but that sure would piss off a lot of the more principled people. If that were to happen I'd write someone in and continue my utter frustration with this lovely election.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

I love that the new leftist fantasy is oh god 1%ers please save us from Trump. Take a step back and realize how badly your media sources are gaslighting you.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So we are heading toward a brokered convention? are they really gonna pick the theocratic nutjob to save them.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So we are heading toward a brokered convention? are they really gonna pick the theocratic nutjob to save them.

we are still heading towards a yuge beautiful trump majority my friend

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I am becoming hopelessly addicted to the Alex Jones show and using Twitter why have you people pushed me to this???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boosted_C5 posted:

I am becoming hopelessly addicted to the Alex Jones show and using Twitter why have you people pushed me to this???

We didn't do anything. It's the foil juice box lining that's controlling your emotions.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

xwing posted:

I apparently missed it, but that sure would piss off a lot of the more principled people. If that were to happen I'd write someone in and continue my utter frustration with this lovely election.

As a principaled libertarian you are an irrelevant minority.
I'm sorry.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Boosted_C5 posted:

Boosted you have to stop blaming other people. That's a conspiratorial mind set!

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

We didn't do anything. It's the foil juice box lining that's controlling your emotions.

poo poo. brb gotta go buy some infowars "deep cleanse" to flush out my system

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

User posted:

I love that the new leftist fantasy is oh god 1%ers please save us from Trump. Take a step back and realize how badly your media sources are gaslighting you.

i don't think you read that post very clearly
you are delusional if you think this is a leftist fantasy
as a leftist, my fantasy is playing out in front of me; the GOP tearing itself apart

we're discussing if the GOP is desperate enough to try to stump trump, how they might do it. personal preference doesn't enter into it

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just an FYI: CPAC is starting up tomorrow and all the big GOP folks are going, somebody should probably make a thread for that buffoonery. They gave Trump a lovely 8:30am spot on Saturday, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just an FYI: CPAC is starting up tomorrow and all the big GOP folks are going, somebody should probably make a thread for that buffoonery. They gave Trump a lovely 8:30am spot on Saturday, lol.

CPAC going to set Saturday AM ratings records.

• Locked thread