Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Deelon posted:

Well man, I've got a 50's tribute in Honeyburst. A little different, mainly the pickups being P90s, but I'll have to say it is a KICKASS guitar. Tone to the bone, and I don't know if I got lucky or what, but the sustain is better than any topnotch Les Paul I've ever played. Also loud as hell unplugged. Like he said though, it didn't stay in tune very well until it was setup properly. Then it was golden. Get one.

e: poo poo, I guess they both have p90s. Whats the difference between the 50s and the 60s tribute?

Side Effects posted:

I have a 50's tribute in black and everything this man says is true. I pre-ordered it when they were first announced and I am still extremely happy with it, it has to be one of the best LP's I've ever laid my hands on. The only thing I don't like was that Gibson decided to lightly relic the line, but that's just a cosmetic issue.

The 60's Tributes have a slimmer neck and are also available in the SG body style. Gibson recently released a 50's Tribute LP with humbuckers, though i'm sure the 60's tributes will get the same.

Thanks; I'd better go see if the local shops have picked up on this yet then. My 1964 SG Special had a neck like a club, so I really hope I can find something similar among the Les Paul '50s relics. Don't like slim necks.

Already have an equally bat-necked early '00s Special (but with covered humbuckers) that still has the old bridge support anchoring, and my '70s LP Custom with P-90s is a Frankensteined mess - shoddy neck replacement - it doesn't even look like a Gibson anymore. So it's Les Paul time again.

They don't do that stupid chipping or rubbing of the finish like Fender's 'roadworns', do they? Just a fade or even no finish is fine by me, but if it comes pre-hosed up I'll just strip off the finish and seal it with clear varnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Underflow posted:

Thanks; I'd better go see if the local shops have picked up on this yet then. My 1964 SG Special had a neck like a club, so I really hope I can find something similar among the Les Paul '50s relics. Don't like slim necks.

They don't do that stupid chipping or rubbing of the finish like Fender's 'roadworns', do they? Just a fade or even no finish is fine by me, but if it comes pre-hosed up I'll just strip off the finish and seal it with clear varnish.

If you are looking for a '50s tribute model with P90's be prepared to pay a little markup. Since they were a limited run they've already seen a 10% increase to resale value; more if you want the Goldtop.

I can't speak for the '60s tributes, but the 50's tributes have a much, much subtler relic job to them compared to Fender's Roadworns. They reliced the horn and the lower bout where your arm goes, but these are very slim lines on the edge of the body that are hardly noticeable from any distance. The only area that's really noticeably reliced is a small area on the back of the neck that just has the bare wood showing. I don't like relic jobs, but at least this one is tastefully done.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Side Effects posted:

If you are looking for a '50s tribute model with P90's be prepared to pay a little markup. Since they were a limited run they've already seen a 10% increase to resale value; more if you want the Goldtop.

I can't speak for the '60s tributes, but the 50's tributes have a much, much subtler relic job to them compared to Fender's Roadworns. They reliced the horn and the lower bout where your arm goes, but these are very slim lines on the edge of the body that are hardly noticeable from any distance. The only area that's really noticeably reliced is a small area on the back of the neck that just has the bare wood showing. I don't like relic jobs, but at least this one is tastefully done.

Thanks; that settles it then. I'd really like the '50s Goldtop with P-90s and minimal fake wear. Do you know if the feel of the neck is consistent across the line, or should I compare at least half a dozen like it used to be with Gibsons?

There's no mega-musicshop in my general area, so choice will be limited - if they have them at all. I usually order gear from the States; much, much better service and often 10x faster than a European mailer who's only a few hundred miles away.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Underflow posted:

Thanks; that settles it then. I'd really like the '50s Goldtop with P-90s and minimal fake wear. Do you know if the feel of the neck is consistent across the line, or should I compare at least half a dozen like it used to be with Gibsons?

There's no mega-musicshop in my general area, so choice will be limited - if they have them at all. I usually order gear from the States; much, much better service and often 10x faster than a European mailer who's only a few hundred miles away.

Anecdotally, mine played perfectly right out of the box and only required a little bit of saddle tweaking for better intonation. However, I'd say to try and find one in a store if you can. I've read that the 50s tributes had really good quality control, but it would be best to test drive one anyway just to be sure.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Side Effects posted:

Anecdotally, mine played perfectly right out of the box and only required a little bit of saddle tweaking for better intonation. However, I'd say to try and find one in a store if you can. I've read that the 50s tributes had really good quality control, but it would be best to test drive one anyway just to be sure.

I meant neck meatiness. Do you know if that's consistent across the board (for the '50s replicas)? I trust Gibson for a decent basic setup. Have to raise the bridge, lower the pick-ups, and tighten the trussrod anyway, 'cause I like heavy strings and clean output.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

I meant neck meatiness. Do you know if that's consistent across the board (for the '50s replicas)? I trust Gibson for a decent basic setup. Have to raise the bridge, lower the pick-ups, and tighten the trussrod anyway, 'cause I like heavy strings and clean output.

Necks are totally consistent from what I've read. Every 50's tribute guitar has the same profile with the same thin matte nitro finish (aside from color, obviously), and I haven't read any reports of someone with a messed up neck on arrival. The 60's tributes on the other hand are a different beast. My friend ordered a 60's tribute SG and it arrived with a fretboard that wasn't wide enough for the neck. Sucked to be him for a week.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Side Effects posted:

Necks are totally consistent from what I've read. Every 50's tribute guitar has the same profile with the same thin matte nitro finish (aside from color, obviously), and I haven't read any reports of someone with a messed up neck on arrival. The 60's tributes on the other hand are a different beast. My friend ordered a 60's tribute SG and it arrived with a fretboard that wasn't wide enough for the neck. Sucked to be him for a week.

Great, thanks a lot. Means I can safely bypass Euro channels with their shameful markup and VAT. I'll have it delivered to a small, rich country where I know they don't care about import tax (or the VAT you didn't pay), then shipped here. Had 6 guitars come in from George Gruhn in Nashville that way; never paid a penny extra.

Really jonesing for that thing now. Thanks again.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Carbohydrates posted:

bought a thing

It's been about a year since I saw a guitar I liked enough to want to buy it, so that's neat. I love the body and I love the neck, but the pots and caps have to go - they make the pickups sound like poo poo in humbucker config, though when set as singles, they sound fine.

~bros~

How do you like it?

I didn't care much for the other in the series since there's no physical pup switch.

Who makes a JM with a maple neck?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How do you like it?

I didn't care much for the other in the series since there's no physical pup switch.
It was good. Needed work, and I didn't feel like taking on a project, so I actually returned it. I guess I was expecting a little much out of a Japanese Fender. If you buy one, be prepared to gut the electronics. The body and neck are absolutely fantastic, so as a base for a project, it's perfect.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Who makes a JM with a maple neck?
Ron Kirn built that for me about a year and a half ago. The idea was to build what a Jazzmaster, which was introduced in 1958, might have looked like in 1957. The only modern features are locking tuners and the Mastery bridge for playability's sake; everything else is vintage-style: single-ply 8-hole pickguard, 7.25" fretboard radius, maple 50's V neck, ash body with a nitro blonde finish, so on and so forth.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

I guess I was expecting a little much out of a Japanese Fender.

Oh, no. You definitely should. In my experience, they have been amazing instruments. Would you tell me what kind of issues you had with it? Thinking of grabbing one for my wife.

Was it 1958 when Fender introduced Rosewood necks?

I've never owned anything Maple. I plan on buying a Fender strat body but routing it as it was a Tele. Goin Maple. I, personally, can't hear any tone differences between the two so it's all based on looks.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've never owned anything Maple. I plan on buying a Fender strat body but routing it as it was a Tele. Goin Maple. I, personally, can't hear any tone differences between the two so it's all based on looks.

It's a bit of an issue of how it feels to play too; a rosewood fretboard feels a little different than lacquered maple.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

quote:

I guess I was expecting a little much out of a Japanese Fender.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Oh, no. You definitely should. In my experience, they have been amazing instruments. Would you tell me what kind of issues you had with it? Thinking of grabbing one for my wife.

Was it 1958 when Fender introduced Rosewood necks?

The Japanese Fenders (all Teles) I've played were impeccable. I still kick myself for the extraordinarily light Telecaster "Custom" - not the '70s model, but the sharp-edged, bound body in sunburst - and the lovely Thinline I sold in a frenzy of Fender hate. I even had the old ashtray bridgecovers for them, as well as the big knobs for the PU switch.

Do have one of the first generation of Squiers 'cause I needed something with a trem in a hurry. Replaced the pick-ups with Seymour Duncan (I think) '57 remakes, which gave it a more chunky sound. Lots of bass on the neck PU, and a very workable middle PU for once. Is aging very well too.

Maple necks don't get as clammy after hours of playing in my experience. And it's easier to see what you're doing on a dim stage :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Just the electronics. Those crappy little pots and I'm pretty sure they were 250k pots with humbuckers, which is just not a good decision. Given how poor the supporting electronics were, I don't really think it's fair to make a judgment call on the pickups, but they weren't exactly blowing me away. I'm picky about these things, though!

Like I said, the neck and body were great. Lightweight and resonant, no fret issues. Slightly overly dried out fretboard, but that could be conditioned right back into shape, no problem.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I got a new Daisy Rock off of Amazon for 130 shipped. It was the last one at that price, sorry.

One day I will own the Stardust Elite Isis. One day...

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

mastur posted:

I got a new Daisy Rock off of Amazon for 130 shipped. It was the last one at that price, sorry.

One day I will own the Stardust Elite Isis. One day...

Hey, that's as if someone glued a Tele and an SG together. Always wanted a thin hollowbody with the headstock split up like that - half Gibson, half Fender; and a Gretsch Country Gentleman single cutaway body.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
I posted some time ago about trying to get a NOS '56 Custom Shop from Fender. Apparently, Fender has discontinued the NOS as a standard option, and I would have had to make it a true custom shop order. One of my co-workers wanted to sell his Custom Shop.

1960 NOS Olympic White.

I'm currently waiting for my next paycheck to get one of these:

1972, only minor tears in the tolex. Original transformers. I haven't checked out the internals yet, but it sounds amazing. It's in my manager's office, so today when I get to work I'm going to open it up and take some up-skirt shots.

There is a matching cab, but I'm waiting for it to be marked down, since it's unlikely that the cab without the head. ;)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Picked up this lovely the other day (not my picture)

Tested it at jam the other night - doesn't like to run off a battery so I had to grab a dc adaptor for it but apart from that, pretty drat happy. It has a fairly wide range, and an input gain control which is quite nice. I'm still figuring out how to set it up so the volume control will actually give me a bit of a boost without my active EQ overdriving the thing but I'm sure I'll get there.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Craigslist is a wonderful thing sometimes.

According to the serial number, this is a 1999 Tacoma Thunderchief, one of three made on May 20. It desperately needs new strings and a good setup, but it was a steal for what I paid.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Juaguocio posted:

Craigslist is a wonderful thing sometimes.

According to the serial number, this is a 1999 Tacoma Thunderchief, one of three made on May 20. It desperately needs new strings and a good setup, but it was a steal for what I paid.

Nice. This has a reputation among bassists as one of the only acoustic bass guitars worth anything at all because it's nice and loud.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That reminds me. Anyone ever hear anything about those Stratacoustics or Teleacoustics?
http://www.fender.com/products/index.php?section=acoustics&series=Electracoustic%E2%84%A2

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

dancehall posted:

Nice. This has a reputation among bassists as one of the only acoustic bass guitars worth anything at all because it's nice and loud.

The reputation is well-deserved. I've tried acoustic basses by Ibanez, Dean, Epiphone, Takamine, Ovation and Michael Kelly and the Tacoma stomps them all in terms of acoustic volume and tone. I put some D'addario Chromes on it today and it sounds fantastic.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Just got married this past weekend, and the wife got me this as a wedding present.

It's a Seagull Entourage Rustic Acoustic/Electric. My lead singer helped her pick it... It's a nice upgrade from my Takamine G series. The pickup died about two weeks ago just before a show. The Takamine sounded thin when plugged in, but mic'd well enough; this one is much louder, and thicker. I love it so far. I plan on keeping this one for standard tunings, and the Takamine will probably stay in open D.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Warcabbit posted:

That reminds me. Anyone ever hear anything about those Stratacoustics or Teleacoustics?
http://www.fender.com/products/index.php?section=acoustics&series=Electracoustic%E2%84%A2

I've played around with them in music stores before, and I thought they played OK, but they sounded pretty lovely - ESPECIALLY unplugged.

Pale Sickly Trevor
Sep 28, 2001

Plus an akai MPK49. I'm a very happy person!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I bought a blue burst 83 Electra phoenix with s/h/s pickups and a crate v5 for 180 dollars. The guitar plays and sounds great. It outshines my mim strat. I will try to post some pics later.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 30, 2011

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Krustic posted:

I bought a blue burst 83 Electra phoenix with s/h/s pickups and a crate v5 for 180 dollars. The guitar plays and sounds great. It outshines my mim strat. I will try to post some pics later.

I've got an Electra bass and I absolutely love it. You can't go wrong with a Matsumoku instrument from the 70s or 80s.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Pale Sickly Trevor posted:

Plus an akai MPK49. I'm a very happy person!

Sweet! I'm ordering my Slim Phatty on Friday! I'm so excited to finally own a Moog product. I'm seriously eyeballing the new VoyagerXL also, I'm torn as to spending the money on it or starting a full Eurorack setup.

I hope you are having fun with it. I cannot wait to integrate mine into my setup.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Someone posted a picture of the new Gibson SG 60's Tribute model on /r/music. I was like "Whoa. That is sick." So today I went to Long & McQuade and put a down payment on this:

They didn't have one in the store, it's being shipped from Winnipeg to Lethbridge, but whatever, I'll have it in a few days. Finally I'll have a worthy guitar I can keep tuned to C-standard.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 3, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I normally don't like the look of white guitars, but that is amazing.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aredna posted:

I normally don't like the look of white guitars, but that is amazing.

My plan is to eventually own a rainbow of guitars. I already have a red Jaguar, an orange Reverse V, a yellow Tele, and a blue Jaguar. Now I'll have a white SG, eventually I plan to have a black Les Paul, a sherwood green Strat, and a purple... Well, purple looks lovely on pretty much every guitar, so maybe not purple.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Prince has a sweet purple acoustic in this video, but of course he can make any guitar look great.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Prince was actually the only person I thought of who could pull it off, so before I clicked that link I thought you meant this:

Edit: VVV :barf:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 1, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Handen posted:

Well, purple looks lovely on pretty much every guitar, so maybe not purple.

http://www.purpleguitars.net/

These people would disagree. I think the LP actually is nice.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Yamaha P95, currently rented, might buy it. I'm a piano noob. I've tried a few other pianos that were more expensive and I think the P95 is great, and really good value. Also the electric piano sound is AWESOME.

I'm pondering the Kurzweil SP2X because it makes more sense as a master keyboard. I'm never going to be a pianist - just a keyboard player. I've been playing guitar on and off for over 25 years and consider myself to be a guitar player, not a guitarist - I do it for fun, and am not technical at all.

The W7 workstation in the pic is old and horribly busted and is waiting for me to fix it. There's also a 1991 Gibson Melody Maker which someone modified before I bought it second hand in 1992 (or thereabouts), and a Boss GT-3, which is the rulingest piece of kit which I have ever owned.

The cat's name is Charlie.

Edit: There's also an Akai LPK25 lurking in there. I wish I had got the MPK Mini instead.

Dr. Honked fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 1, 2011

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Charlie the floating keyboard cat

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Someone posted a purple tele earlier in this thread that looked awesome.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Honked posted:

I'm pondering the Kurzweil SP2X because it makes more sense as a master keyboard. I'm never going to be a pianist - just a keyboard player

Never say never, I was like you until I had been with my PC1X for a quarter of a year and found I actually had a lot of use of the beautiful preset patches. Certainly no gradually weighed super-realistic piano feel in the keys but they are amazing for what they are (a category of their own really). A full set of 88 keys are a must-have in my opinion, too.

(and I'm self-taught but picking up classical piano and the lot as I keep using it, never quite clicked with the Yamaha pianos though the triple-strike grands of Kurzweil are close to my heart)

And that cat needs to be submitted to http://www.ptank.com/catsynth/

e: Oooh.. hope you can get the SP2X cheap, I brainfarted that into "PC2X". Crapload of sounds there that really make up for it. Got my PC1X in complete mint condition from one previous owner for $999, fine price compared to what it launched for in 2004 iirc.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 2, 2011

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Here is another cool purple guitar.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/andromeda.php#andromeda_flame_grape

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Rondo makes a bunch of purple guitars, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Got my first guitar and amp. Now to figure out how to play this thing. It sounds nice unplugged as well so I'll be able to practice quietly, something I'm sure my apartment neighbors will be happy to know.

This is a Malden Subhuman and Marshall MG30DFX amp.