Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actually most ADV bikes are quite a bit heavier than a Uly. The Ulysses is claimed to weigh ~465 lbs wet, most of the ADV bikes on the market are in the 500-600 lb range.

The Super Tenere is about 575 lbs. V-strom 1000 is a little over 500 lbs. BMW F800GS is 505 lbs, and the R1200 GS is 573 lbs. Multistradas are 540 lbs wet. Triumph Tiger Explorer is 570 lbs.

KLR 650s weigh less than a Uly, but they're not really 'true' ADV bikes, in the sense of 'touring bike that can go also handle going offroad', they're really more like super-sized dual-sports.

The corollary of this is most ADV bikes are kinda poo poo offroad because they're too heavy.

I learned something today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Powerstone posted:

If you wear all Dainese you are a Dainese Space Lord

If you wear all Alpinestars you are a ?

Shooting Star?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powerstone posted:

If you wear all Dainese you are a Dainese Space Lord

If you wear all Alpinestars you are a ?

Alpine Assault Commando.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Alpinestars Commando?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Starblazer

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A** commando

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Dork.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
After riding around in my Arai for a few weeks, I am upgrading my review of it from "Man... what super overrated piece of poo poo" to ... "It's alright" Still not as good as my Roof, but it's not bad. Earplugs are pretty bad-rear end though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these. They seem to have reasonable ankle protection without being full on terminator boots. Opinions?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-tr-course-out-boots

Alternatively, this but there isn't nearly as much ankle support.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-mx-5-boot

e: Basically, do I become a Dianese Space Lord or an A* Land Dork :iiam:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 19, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I have a similar pair of Dainese boots and I really don't like how they did the Velcro calf adjusters - it scratches my legs even through heavy socks. Of course I have skinny noodle legs, if you have bigger calves and don't need the adjustments in all the way (or wear boots outside leathers) it might not be an issue.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I own a pair of SMX-5's that have held up extremely well after ~7000 miles, most of if through this last winter. They are comfortable enough to wear all day if you aren't going to be doing a ton of walking, and aren't too storm trooper-ish if you slide your jeans over the tops of them. I can't think of anything I dislike about the boot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these. They seem to have reasonable ankle protection without being full on terminator boots. Opinions?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-tr-course-out-boots

Alternatively, this but there isn't nearly as much ankle support.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-mx-5-boot

e: Basically, do I become a Dianese Space Lord or an A* Land Dork :iiam:

I have the SMX 5s and they're pretty comfy. I can walk short distances in them and they feel great during a ride. I'd probably still grab the Dainese though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
REV'IT says they can't fix my Phantom GTX gloves up to their standards, but they'll give me a discount on a new pair.

So, three questions:

1) I have a very small hole in the leather of one of the fingertips. They don't want to sew it as it would puncture the GoreTex liner. Is there a goop I can use to patch it? Would a dab of Shoe Goo work? Or some kind of adhesive patch?
2) The other glove's GoreTex liner has come separated from the leather and pulls out when I pull my hand out. Would injecting a small amount of crazy glue or something into the tips of the fingers do the trick?
3) I think that the Phantom's are still usable, all in all, and I'd want to get a second pair that's more for dry, everyday use. Any recommendations from REV'IT's line?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Note: Alpine* Drystar gloves are indeed water resistant not waterproof. My moderately damp hands agreed with this conclusion post rushhour downpour.

I'm going to be letting Revzilla know their description is full of poo poo. Waterproof my rear end my hands were goddamn cold and wet.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 21, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
My experience with Drystars is that they keep outside water out, but because they don't breathe worth a poo poo, your hands sweat and they trap that moisture in. So your hands get moderately damp even without rain.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

They've been OK in that regard, my hands have been comfortable during dry times, the issue is the leather on the palm gets soaked and then it's just downhill from there.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It's getting sunny out.

https://www.cutana.com.au/

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I should put one on my Shoei.

Also, bought those Dianese boots and one of those Forcefield back protector inserts. I guess I'll post a lovely trip report after a while if I remember.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm thinking about replacing the so-so OEM armor on my Scorpion jacket. Any recommendations?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
T-pro/forcefield stuff is what I run when I need to upgrade armor.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Installed a d3o back protector in my jacket. Gonna try how it feels without the knox meta-sys protector.

I bet I'll feel naked.

Didn't need to trim the protector, it wont slide out so the extra bit above the pocket is no issue.

There is actually room in the jacket if I set it to widest adjustment to run both, but that's bordering to overkill.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Become a Turtle Lord. Do it.

:parrot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Is there even a point to running with both? I thought back protectors were just there to prevent hyperextension injuries (the "flung backwards around a telephone pole" thing), and one plastic thing that locks when you bend backwards is enough to do that. Any direct spine impact devastating enough to cause one back protector to fail is probably a fatal crash for half a dozen other reasons too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I don't think so, as you say, if the d3o doesnt help I got bigger problems.

Though, the one in the jacket lacks lower back protection, but I'm not sure about the impact area statistic for back impacts. I don't think I've ever seen any data on that. I have only seen lower back inserts on some held clothes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For what it's worth, I landed hard on my shoulder/back in my crash with my Forcefield on... and that was one of the very few places that I wasn't sore - and I already have back issues. I'd already shattered that collar bone in the past making it a bulbous lump that sticks out strangely so I'm surprised that wasn't rebroken.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

Is there even a point to running with both? I thought back protectors were just there to prevent hyperextension injuries (the "flung backwards around a telephone pole" thing), and one plastic thing that locks when you bend backwards is enough to do that. Any direct spine impact devastating enough to cause one back protector to fail is probably a fatal crash for half a dozen other reasons too.

Stop trying to bums us fun havers out man.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bum my students out too when they see me wearing a motorcycle jacket and ask about my bike.

"Is it dangerous?"
"Sure. You're actually 40 times as likely to die on a motorcycle, per mile ridden, as you are in a car."
*incredulous looks*
"BUT you can mitigate a lot of that risk by never riding drunk, always watching for cars, and of course wearing good strong leather and boots and gloves and a helmet."
"Cause you know, MotoGP racers walk away from crashes at a hundred and fifty miles an hour and they're not hurt, just mad. That's what the right gear does for you."
"But not always! A guy just died yesterday in a race in the UK. Slid on his face right into the curb. Wham! Dead."
"But his face was probably just fine cause he had a helmet with a chin bar. I can show you some gnarly CT scans from a dude who crashed on his face with no helmet at all. You wanna see?"

I figure it's good to be realistic about it. When you start denying the realities, that's when you get overconfident.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

I've covered 20k miles in loving Levi's since I started riding in November and finally decided to upgrade from retard.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frazer-pants

I have no other riding pants to compare them to but they have been great so far. I tried on several brands of overpants but worried I would succumb to heatstroke in the North Carolina summer humidity, and wasn't crazy about the extra bulk and layer (I have no reservations about walking around the office in Space Lord mode as long as it's comfortable, and I could sleep in these). The knee and shin armor is pretty substantial and the rear end is leather, but there's obviously a lot of mesh and Cordura. The trade-off is ridiculous airflow. Paired with ST Airs, I've had moments on the interstate where I'd thought I must have forgotten a zipper somewhere. Speaking of zippers, it rules being able to hook up to my Cycle Gear PricePoint Exclusive (been wondering if the Cycle Gear Dainese carries the name but not the same quality... any deets on that?).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

"But his face was probably just fine cause he had a helmet with a chin bar. I can show you some gnarly CT scans from a dude who crashed on his face with no helmet at all. You wanna see?"

I figure it's good to be realistic about it. When you start denying the realities, that's when you get overconfident.
Ok but please don't use the word gnarly unless you're a college aged snowboarder from 1998.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ok but please don't use the word gnarly unless you're a college aged snowboarder from 1998.

I disagree-the use of gnarly in that context is totally mondo :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What if I am? You don't know me :colbert:

I tried on an RF-1200 today in the store. It is a really nice helmet that fits my head great and I imagine would be quieter than my old HJC which could stand to be replaced. Any places selling them for under $425?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I graduated college in 1998, and used the word gnarly just yesterday in a snowboarding context.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Sagebrush posted:

I tried on an RF-1200 today in the store. It is a really nice helmet that fits my head great and I imagine would be quieter than my old HJC which could stand to be replaced. Any places selling them for under $425?

I love my RF-1200 and would definitely recommend it. I think mine cost me 500, though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

I dunno if you already looked but Revzilla gets pretty close, I think the solid color ones are around 430

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Solids will run around 430, metallics 460, graphics 500.
Hand painted in Japan and all that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Linedance posted:

I graduated college in 1998, and used the word gnarly just yesterday in a snowboarding context.

Hey fellow 1998 grad. :hfive: I loved to snowboard, still do. (Though now I'm usually the oldest boarder on the slopes.) Never used gnarly much, but stoked got said a lot.

Is the latest CE armor thinner while offering the same protection? The Forcefield stuff doesn't look super-thick, but I like the honeycomb pattern. I'm thinking about replacing my back protector first, since the OEM back protector in my Scorpion jacket is flimsier than the shoulder and elbow armor. My Teiz suit actually has some fairly robust armor in it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

As someone that owns an RF-1100 I can say that either that or the 1200 are an excellent choice and well worth the $400-$500 investment.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Digital_Jesus posted:

As someone that owns an RF-1100 I can say that either that or the 1200 are an excellent choice and well worth the $400-$500 investment.

I can sort of second this by saying that I too have an 1100, and if I needed to replace it I'd strongly consider a 1200.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

I dunno if you already looked but Revzilla gets pretty close, I think the solid color ones are around 430

Yeh, just wondered because the real physical store downtown is selling RF_1200 solids for 425 + tax so if that's also the going rate online, which it seems to be on RevZilla and the like, I'd just as soon support the local dealers. Not that SF Moto really needs the support, they aren't exactly hurting if they can afford a storefront in downtown SoMa, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, I got myself an EXO-R410 and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with it for the price. I'd have gone for a nicer model, but I'm not working right now so I needed to budget myself. This is my first helmet with a chin shield thinger (whatever that fabric dealie that blocks wind) and it made a huge difference in the amount of wind noise over my old helmet.

It does smell like pot, for some reason. I'm chalking that up to employees smoking up in the storeroom of the shop I bought it from or something.