Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LooKMaN posted:

Download and install Avisynth, download and install Haali Media Splitter, copy avss.dll from where Haali was installed to Avisynth\plugins folder. Launch AvsPmod, type in
code:
DSS2("D:\yourfile.m2ts")
and press F5.

:aaa: This couldn't be any more perfect for my needs. Thanks so much! Now I have to get my supervisor to perform the same steps on the lab computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Great. If you need any information, AvsPmod has built-in help file and AviSynth wiki has a ton of useful information.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since the Useful Windows Software link no longer works, what's the best free software for ripping dvd's?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
OK, I got Windows restored no problem, but I've lost everything on here. :(

Now for another question--I have a WD Passport that I used to backup my former MacBook. I know a lot of my music/photos are on the Passport and if I could get the stuff off it, then I'd have the majority of my stuff recovered. But, the difference in format is preventing me from viewing the files.

Is there a way to view what's on the Passport and get it off there? I'm considering going to Best Buy to use one of their display MacBooks so I can see what I have, and possibly burn a DVD.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

leica posted:

Since the Useful Windows Software link no longer works, what's the best free software for ripping dvd's?

Rip to an ISO, or convert the video content to a given file type, or what? I use AnyDVD to rip to ISO, but I'd be interested in a low-effort way to convert my DVD movies/shows to MKV or whatever without losing image quality.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

MakeMKV does that.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

OK, I got Windows restored no problem, but I've lost everything on here. :(

Now for another question--I have a WD Passport that I used to backup my former MacBook. I know a lot of my music/photos are on the Passport and if I could get the stuff off it, then I'd have the majority of my stuff recovered. But, the difference in format is preventing me from viewing the files.

Is there a way to view what's on the Passport and get it off there? I'm considering going to Best Buy to use one of their display MacBooks so I can see what I have, and possibly burn a DVD.

http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Galler posted:

I do. I don't really know if it's necessary but I like to start clean every now and then. Also since all I have on my OS drive (60gb ssd) is the OS and a handful of programs it doesn't take much time to wipe and reload (~2 hours to be completely back to normal).

I'm considering doing something like this when I rebuild in a month or two, but have a question for if I feel like re-installing a year or from then: what happens to programs that aren't installed on the OS drive when you re-install Windows? Obviously all their registry entries will be gone, so how do you not need to re-install them as well as the ones on the same drive?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LooKMaN posted:

MakeMKV does that.

Neat. What's the best way to save some space without sacrificing too much quality at that point?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Well MakeMKV just remuxes all the video/audio tracks from DVD and puts them into MKV container, it doesn't encode the video/audio. If you want to encode from DVD to make a "dvdrip" with x264/ac3 and mux it into MKV your best bet would be Handbrake if you don't want to bother with settings too much.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

hooah posted:

I'm considering doing something like this when I rebuild in a month or two, but have a question for if I feel like re-installing a year or from then: what happens to programs that aren't installed on the OS drive when you re-install Windows? Obviously all their registry entries will be gone, so how do you not need to re-install them as well as the ones on the same drive?

I've found that for the most part so long as I backup the program folders in C:\Users\USERNAME\App Data\ then all I have to do is dump them back in there post install and re-create shortcuts and everything is good. This might not work for everything but it has worked for me.

Also a lot of the utilities and such that I have on my other hard drives are standalone/portable versions of programs.

For the most part, AFAIK, the only registry entries that actually matter would be for programs that add something to the right click menu or as a file association.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Rip to an ISO, or convert the video content to a given file type, or what? I use AnyDVD to rip to ISO, but I'd be interested in a low-effort way to convert my DVD movies/shows to MKV or whatever without losing image quality.

AnyDVD sounds great, but what are the advantages between that and Handbrake or MakeMKV? I mean, if I can decode with AnyDVD what do I need those for? Sorry if the question sounds dumb, but I just got a new desktop that's capable of ripping DVD's so I'm new to it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

leica posted:

AnyDVD sounds great, but what are the advantages between that and Handbrake or MakeMKV? I mean, if I can decode with AnyDVD what do I need those for? Sorry if the question sounds dumb, but I just got a new desktop that's capable of ripping DVD's so I'm new to it.

AnyDVD will give you a copy of the DVD in ISO form. You mount the ISO and then use it exactly like you'd use the DVD. If you want a simple video file and/or want to conserve disk space, you need to convert it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

LooKMaN posted:

MakeMKV does that.

This is fantastic. Why have I not seen it before. :aaaaa:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

AnyDVD will give you a copy of the DVD in ISO form. You mount the ISO and then use it exactly like you'd use the DVD. If you want a simple video file and/or want to conserve disk space, you need to convert it.

Ok...So do I need AnyDVD to decode it, then use Handbrake/MakeMKV to convert it, or does Handbrake/MakeMKV automatically decode and covert to MKV?

If so, I would assume then the main reason to have the decoded ISO form is for burning copies, or just having highest possible quality that takes up a ton of space.....How much space does a typical movie in ISO form take up?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

leica posted:

Ok...So do I need AnyDVD to decode it, then use Handbrake/MakeMKV to convert it, or does Handbrake/MakeMKV automatically decode and covert to MKV?

If so, I would assume then the main reason to have the decoded ISO form is for burning copies, or just having highest possible quality that takes up a ton of space.....How much space does a typical movie in ISO form take up?

They can go straight from the DVD. If you want something that behaves exactly like the DVD (menus, etc) or you intend to make copies, you want ISO. The size of the ISO is whatever the disc's capacity was.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just had a flash stick go pop on me, so now that I'm loading up the replacement, what essentials are everyone sticking on theirs nowadays?

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously
Is there anyway to get rid of this obnoxious looking glare that appears on open windows in the Windows taskbar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

I've just had a flash stick go pop on me, so now that I'm loading up the replacement, what essentials are everyone sticking on theirs nowadays?

good question. whats the best way to run an OS off the stick? or do you all just put portable apps on them? gonna be on the go a lot for the remainder of the year so would be useful to have a nicely setup flash drive to attach to my wallet/keychain

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dox posted:

good question. whats the best way to run an OS off the stick? or do you all just put portable apps on them? gonna be on the go a lot for the remainder of the year so would be useful to have a nicely setup flash drive to attach to my wallet/keychain

Ah, now that one I can do.
I've used the Universal USB Installer to install the contents of the Ophcrack liveCD onto the stick. I've added the XP rainbow tables, too.
Adding portable apps and the like to the stick shouldn't affect it having an os on it at all, and as long as you don't click the 'format' option, you can install on a stick that's got stuff on it without issue, too.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I don't know where else to put this, but it seems like when my office upgraded to Windows 7 at long last, with Office 2010 products, I've lost the ability to target which instance of Excel I open documents into.

I use a dual monitor set up usually to compare two sheets side by side, and although I can easily start up two instances of Excel, opening documents from email or from anything other than the File -> Open menu of the particular instance ALWAYS pops them up in the FIRST instance of the program I started.

This is frustrating, in XP all I had to do was give one window focus and all documents would open in that particular instance.

Anybody know a fix for this? I'm not keen on saving every attachment in my inbox to my desktop and then navigating a menu to open it.

VV I cannot from outlook. I can from explorer. so that helps halfway, thanks! VV

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 28, 2011

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously
Can you drag and drop it on the instance of excel you want the file to be opened into? I've read that works if you do it from explorer, but I'm not sure about outlook.

This is similar to my issue with excel 2010. I can't open new instances of excel simply by clicking on a random excel file, and this is so annoying and inconvenient. If anyone knows a work-around, I'd be glad to hear it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but...

I have a copy of Office 2007 which was on my soon to be dead laptop. How many installs can you have? Would I be able to install it back on my laptop and also on my desktop?

Depending on the above answer I would like to know if it's even worth it. How good is Libre Office? I have been using Open Office and I hear Libre is even better.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tom Foolery posted:

Is there anyway to get rid of this obnoxious looking glare that appears on open windows in the Windows taskbar?

Turn off desktop effects/Aero glass (leave Aero enabled, though).

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Does anyone know if the Windows 7 inbound connection limit (20 connections) applies to an Apache web server as well?

We want to repair our real web server with a fresh install and want to temporarily move it to a decent Windows 7 machine. My Google search has ended in no definitive answer with some saying the limit is no longer applied, is that true?

Edit: The server serves three internal sites with about 300 users.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 29, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm in a bit of a panic, hoping I'm doing the right things here...

I have an ASUS laptop--the K52F model in brown. When I tried to boot it up this morning an error message flashed up that said something like "Insert bootable media and press enter."

I'm now using the Geek Squad provided recovery discs (that came in the box) but I never burned system recovery discs when I got the computer two months ago.

Am I SOL and doomed to lose all my photos/home videos/music? I'm like cursing myself for not backing up sooner. Before my MacBook bit the dust I backed up constantly. Also, I legally purchased MS Office in July--I have the email with the product key and download link, does anyone know if I'll be able to use that twice or will I have to call and explain that my system crashed? :(

I have a work laptop in the meantime to get me by (that's how I'm posting right now) but I hate using the work one because I don't have admin privileges; therefore I can't download any executable files from the internet. I'm forced to use IE on this computer which I hate because I couldn't install Firefox.

I think it's adorable how people still think their data is somehow tied to their OS install.

As long as the hard drive spins, you can get that data off. Hell, you could have taken it to Best Buy and for some number of :20bux: they would have done it for you.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

AlexDeGruven posted:

Turn off desktop effects/Aero glass (leave Aero enabled, though).
Unless I'm doing it wrong, that didn't work and also made things ugly.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Tom Foolery posted:

I asked a similar question a page or two back and didn't get a response. The aero glass effects were a little heavy handed on the taskbar for my taste.

I ended up installing a theme called Shine 2.0 from DeviantArt. Most themes I've found are incredibly tacky and ugly, but this one is pretty graceful and minimalist, I think. I'm liking it a few days in, at least. It has a very clean taskbar treatment, especially.

http://zainadeel.deviantart.com/art/Shine-2-0-for-Windows-7-172671190

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LooKMaN posted:

Great. If you need any information, AvsPmod has built-in help file and AviSynth wiki has a ton of useful information.

Thanks for the info. The Doom9 forums have some ridiculous 5-day waiting period before I'm allowed to post there, so I was wondering if you know anything about this seeing as you seem to know a lot about it. AvsPmod works fine for the most part. However, when I jump back and forth between frames a lot it starts to do strange things. The video stops updating consistently when navigating and then starts duplicating frames or segments of the video. This only happens after I framejump backwards for some time. I can go forwards all I want, but as soon as I start going backwards things start to get screwy no matter which direction I go.

I'll try my best to explain with a made up example in the context of one of my videos: A bee flies and lands on a flower at frame 295 (9.453 seconds). To find out when it begins to fly and take off, I start seeking forward. In the process of doing this I accidentally skip past the point of take-off (let's jut say it's frame 310), so I seek backwards. Then, the video freezes and when it updates it shows a point after its take-off time (i.e. after frame 310), but the status bar reports that the video is at a position before that (i.e. before frame 310). If I seek around again I see a number of frames jump around and repeat themselves until I get back to a position that wasn't seeked back. It's really aggravating :sigh:

I hope that was clear. It's a really hard to explain phenomenon, but only seems to happen with the m2ts files. It's consistent with those, but can't be duplicated on another format. Is it a problem with the plugin, or do you think that it's because m2ts files are so resource-intense that it just fucks up somehow?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 31, 2011

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If I have a document open in Word, and I click the email button to open Outlook and send it to someone, the outgoing message isn't saved in my sent folder. Is this supposed to happen? Is there a way to change it so they are saved there? Or if Outlook provides a log somewhere of all sent/recieved messages then that would be nice too, I just want a record that I sent the thing.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks for the info. The Doom9 forums have some ridiculous 5-day waiting period before I'm allowed to post there, so I was wondering if you know anything about this seeing as you seem to know a lot about it. AvsPmod works fine for the most part. However, when I jump back and forth between frames a lot it starts to do strange things. The video stops updating consistently when navigating and then starts duplicating frames or segments of the video. This only happens after I framejump backwards for some time. I can go forwards all I want, but as soon as I start going backwards things start to get screwy no matter which direction I go.

I'll try my best to explain with a made up example in the context of one of my videos: A bee flies and lands on a flower at frame 295 (9.453 seconds). To find out when it begins to fly and take off, I start seeking forward. In the process of doing this I accidentally skip past the point of take-off (let's jut say it's frame 310), so I seek backwards. Then, the video freezes and when it updates it shows a point after its take-off time (i.e. after frame 310), but the status bar reports that the video is at a position before that (i.e. before frame 310). If I seek around again I see a number of frames jump around and repeat themselves until I get back to a position that wasn't seeked back. It's really aggravating :sigh:

I hope that was clear. It's a really hard to explain phenomenon, but only seems to happen with the m2ts files. It's consistent with those, but can't be duplicated on another format. Is it a problem with the plugin, or do you think that it's because m2ts files are so resource-intense that it just fucks up somehow?

Can you remux it into MKV and then try again. For MKV you can use FFMS2 too, unlike DSS2 that one doesn't work with m2ts.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

In Windows 7, how do I make double clicking on a disc open it as a folder, rather than running the autoplay?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

In Windows 7, how do I make double clicking on a disc open it as a folder, rather than running the autoplay?

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay You can get pretty granular with what you want to do for various kinds of disks, but there's a checkbox at the top to disable AutoPlay entirely.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LooKMaN posted:

Can you remux it into MKV and then try again. For MKV you can use FFMS2 too, unlike DSS2 that one doesn't work with m2ts.

Okay you're going to have to explain this a little more :psyduck:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

stubblyhead posted:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay You can get pretty granular with what you want to do for various kinds of disks, but there's a checkbox at the top to disable AutoPlay entirely.
I did that, but when I open Computer and double click on the disk, it still runs the default action (running the installer/opening the DVD in windows media center/etc) instead of opening the folder.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I gave my old computer to a friend today. I custom reinstalled Windows 7 on the machine, then deleted windows.old. He's got kids, and I'm frankly worried that they're going to install something like winrar and see something like "ladyboysuckfest.zip" in the Recent Documents, or run across an old bookmark, or something like that. Is that even possible after a re-installation?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Why didn't you just format it before the reinstall if this was a concern? :psyduck:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

Why didn't you just format it before the reinstall if this was a concern? :psyduck:

I assumed a format would be a part of the re-install. When I realized it wasn't, my friend was already on his way to pick it up. Whoops.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I have a desktop pc running Windows 7, and the hard drive windows is installed on seems to be failing (restarts on its own sometimes and says 'primary hard disk failure'). I upgraded to windows 7 from windows vista, but I don't have a windows 7 disc. I have another hard drive inside my pc which i'd like to use instead of the current one - what's the best method for getting a clean install of windows 7 on there? I have the disc from my old vista, I was considering using that to install vista on the new drive and then upgrading it but that sounds a but dodgy to me.

Also, will it be a problem installing windows on the drive considering that it's a slave? I can swap them over if that's necessary but I'm pretty bad with PC maintenance so I'd like to be as hands-off as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Okay you're going to have to explain this a little more :psyduck:

If you have a Nvidia card your best bet would be buying a 15$ licence for DGDecNV, use that to index the file and create a .dgi file, you can use that file in AvsPmod
code:
DGMultiSource("D:\yourfile.dgi")
For FFMS2 you have to demux (extract) the .264 video file (or all streams/files, depending on what you need) from the .m2ts file using TSMuxer, then use MKVToolnix to mux it into a new MKV file.
Then use that file in AvsPMod
code:
FFVideoSource("D:\yourfile.mkv")
It has to index the file first so that'll take some time.

So if DSS2 doesn't work for you I'd recommend going with DGDecNV, but it does require Nvidia card with VP2 or newer engine.

Mayne fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 1, 2011