Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

When in doubt, doubt the skills of the MangaStream team, is my motto.

A good policy. Thanks for all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont put him next to a swingset

Or doors

Or gates

Or ladders

https://youtu.be/b9oo9uy4aKw
https://youtu.be/2AweVxT1aKY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Here's this alternate scanlation.

Cool power.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terper posted:

Cool power.

Oh wow, this better emphasizes (or I just sort of glazed over it in the MS version) that when he's completely intangible, he's completely intangible, even to light and sound. That's not something you see often, but a very neat detail here. Also quite the drawback, or at least something significant to work to overcome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Ty for that!

Also lol bakubro collecting trash.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a cool power, but the bouncing out of the ground doesn't really make sense.

3 panels to explain it is only true if you're generous too. Good stuff though.

It's literally explained as a video game glitch. He wallzips like a speedrunner.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The option that's logical from the point of view of physics would be for him to undergo nuclear fusion every time he used the power due to his atoms occupying the same space as other atoms, even if he unphased in the air. The way it works for him makes perfect sense from the point of view of making phasing a usable power at all.

Also, it looks like him finding this way to use his power would have come from loving up and trying to unphase while underground. He hosed up, and took the result and made it into something he could use. Guy's talented.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Green Intern posted:

It's literally explained as a video game glitch. He wallzips like a speedrunner.
If his superhero name WAS Speedrunner, that'd be perfect. It'd fit him perfectly and also be a rad superhero name

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Terper posted:

Cool power.

mangastream was especially bad this time around, but this one is good; in addition to Hate-Senpai's corrections, the nonsensical "You all can curl up in a ball!" turns into "This the time to be docile?" which actually makes sense

Mirio's power is one I don't think I've ever come across before in this form. Quite unique and creative.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

Cool power.
The more people scanlating BnHA the better since it seems to suffer from translation issues due to its paneling or however Horikoshi likes to write for some reason.

I'm glad for Fallen Angels and Jaimini's Box because Mangastream kinda sucks.

1. Mangastream festoons everything with their stupid watermarks
2. Their translations are not great.
3. Their cleaners are not great.
4. They'll randomly pick up and drop series, and since Scanlators are drama queens when Mangastream picks up a series any other groups doing it tend to get mad and stop despite the points above. This is really cool when Mangastream drops a series after this happens.

Fallen Angels continues to translate BnHA because they don't give a poo poo about being first (the translator apparently is professionally acquainted with the person doing it officially for Viz), and Jaimini's Box just picked it up because they're really mad about Mangastream picking up Black Clover.

All three have their issues but between them and the Viz translations (which gently caress up about as much as the scanlators) you can usually figure out what's actually being said when the grammar is tripping up 2-3 of the translators.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

mangastream was especially bad this time around, but this one is good; in addition to Hate-Senpai's corrections, the nonsensical "You all can curl up in a ball!" turns into "This the time to be docile?" which actually makes sense

Mirio's power is one I don't think I've ever come across before in this form. Quite unique and creative.

I'm guessing curl into a ball is a japanese expression that implies docility, but it's not really something that would be said that way in english. Someone who's curled into a ball could be said to be giving up and going docile, but it just doesn't read right. That's why localization is important! Literal translation makes no sense to the new intended audience.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Phase guy should be going invisible, too. If light phases through his eyeballs it should phase through everything else. That wouldn't look as cool though, so eh.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... that... actually yeah he should.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Wow. So a typical attack from this guy involves running forward, going intangible (and blind and deaf) so he falls through the ground at his forward speed, then releasing his power and popping up at a predetermined distance to make a precision strike against moving targets? Man, he must have practiced the HELL out of that.

Also I expect his power would be extremely limited in, say, office buildings where he'd drop through to another floor. Or in moving vehicles. Or over a sewer or subway system. Plenty of ways to counter this if you can choose your venue.

So how does he keep his pants on when he falls through the ground

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He doesn't.

Also he would just need to sink a little bit into the floor before his "glitch" would happen. Which would take like, a milli-milli second.

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 26, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't wait until his secret training is revealed to have been somebody making him do a bunch of 2-d kinematics problems

I mean he can actually ignore air resistance ffs

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So basically vault boy can trigger noclip on will. That's pretty neat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
See, the funny thing is that the things he showed off in this chapter are child's play in regards to mastery of his quirk, and is relatively low-maintenance and simple stuff. Full body on, full body off, maybe some torso phasing to avoid a hit.

Keep in mind how his quirk works and remember the first time he meets Deku now:

Now THAT is some impressive poo poo, right here. Think of the micromanagement he needs to pull this off. I don't even wanna think about the fact that his ears are still underground, so he technically can't even hear Deku respond, and he's probably reading his lips or something

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he owns

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... and he said he can't breathe while phased, right? That means he can't speak while phased.

Can he expell the air in his lungs and have it interact with his vocal cords while it's all phased? Is the air in his lungs expelled from him when he phases?

I think we'll never know.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the power of bullshit

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
They did a really good job of showing how fiddly this power is to use effectively and how huge the drawbacks to it are. It does help reinforce that Mirio didn't just hit the quirk lottery jackpot, he got a quirk with a low floor but high skill ceiling and has worked his rear end off to master it.

Plus, his quirk has no 'physical reinforcing' qualities, so no only does he have to be very careful, intelligent, and practiced in the use of his quirk, he's also got to be in supreme physical shape and practiced at brawling to make his powers useful: Warping up to people isn't good enough if you can't follow up, and his inability to carry anything with him means he can't use gadgets or weapons, he HAS to just deck people and hope he can take them down in only a few punches.

I worry for his future prospects as a hero, though, if Mt. Lady and Midnight are getting harassed by the media for revealing costumes, him having to be literally naked to use his powers is going to hurt his marketability.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well anyway, I'm stoked to see the saga of Best Jeanist and Deku, the boy wonder!

I think Jeanist's fine control over his powers will be a great teaching method for Midoriya to get stronger.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The best part is when you go back to the previous chapter you can see him hold his breath and puff his cheeks whenever he's using the power.

Saw that part coming due to that, didn't expect the full on noclip blind and deaf thing too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well anyway, I'm stoked to see the saga of Best Jeanist and Deku, the boy wonder!

I think Jeanist's fine control over his powers will be a great teaching method for Midoriya to get stronger.

Pretty sure that isn't Jeanist. They look pretty different, and Jeanist is supposedly taking a leave of absence after getting maimed by AfO.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Vengarr posted:

Pretty sure that isn't Jeanist. They look pretty different, and Jeanist is supposedly taking a leave of absence after getting maimed by AfO.

... hm. Now that I think of it, their hair is different, isn't it? I just saw a lanky dude in plain clothes (with emphasis on the "you're in plain clothes" bit) and thought jeanist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A couple minor things that bug me:

1. His quirk actually is absurdly good. Yeah, it requires a lot of skill/practice, but for most quirks it's literally impossible to exploit them in a way that makes you that strong. Like Kirishima, he can't somehow practice his hardening in a way that lets him do stuff that crazy.

2. If he didn't have much control over his quirk before the internship, how did he get into UA in the first place? Like, how would he beat the robots (or whatever equivalent test he had to do) if he couldn't do...pretty much anything given that it sounds like he didn't have fine control over his ability until the internship. (I think this is the sort of question you're just not supposed to think about.)

edit: Also there's the "he would be invisible and wouldn't be able to talk" stuff, but like #2 in this post I think we're just supposed to ignore/overlook that.

edit2: How would that scene where his face is half-underground and looking up at Deku even work? Wouldn't he just keep falling until he deactivated it and shot out the ground? How would he remain stationary like that?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

1. His quirk actually is absurdly good. Yeah, it requires a lot of skill/practice, but for most quirks it's literally impossible to exploit them in a way that makes you that strong. Like Kirishima, he can't somehow practice his hardening in a way that lets him do stuff that crazy.

2. If he didn't have much control over his quirk before the internship, how did he get into UA in the first place? Like, how would he beat the robots (or whatever equivalent test he had to do) if he couldn't do...pretty much anything given that it sounds like he didn't have fine control over his ability until the internship. (I think this is the sort of question you're just not supposed to think about.)

edit: Also there's the "he would be invisible and wouldn't be able to talk" stuff, but like #2 in this post I think we're just supposed to ignore/overlook that.

edit2: How would that scene where his face is half-underground and looking up at Deku even work? Wouldn't he just keep falling until he deactivated it and shot out the ground? How would he remain stationary like that?

I just assume he managed to still try to hero well (tackling his fellow examinees out of danger or whatever) without his quirk and so he got in despite not being able to use his quirk very well.

As for the face-in-ground thing... maybe he was turning it off and back on REALLY REALLY FAST

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I imagine that's a question that will be brought up in an omake Q&A or something, so just sit tight

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I think he noted where Deku was, took a deep breath, then phased up next to him and started talking rapid fire on the assumption that Deku was going to say something along the lines of "What the gently caress?!" He's not necessarily hearing or seeing anything, but one of his friends might be watching to tell him how Deku reacted after he's phased back.

He might be staying up via doggy paddle, I don't know how momentum works in phase mode but I bet he has a way to stay stationary if he wants to. He's number one.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Obviously, he deactivated his quirk only in the face region, and held up the entirety of his body with his muscular jaw

Don't ask me how he could also talk

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Funnily despite his (IMO) weak showing, Mustard would probably make a pretty decent counter to Mirio - his gas has a ton of range and since Mirio can't breathe while phased, he'd theoretically be able to abuse the fact that he can sense where people in his gas are to play keepaway while Mirio has to close in without the aid of his phase-slingshotting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assuming he just kept his face solid. Cause then it would not go underground.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't think too hard about the physics of the quirk. Just assume that the air inside his body is phased and when he speaks and pushes the air out it becomes tangible and thus audible as it hits the unphased parts of his body.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
See, i told you. Flooring the entire class in 5 seconds is child's play compared to the simple parlor trick of playing a prank on Deku.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Personally, I like that Mirio screams "POWER" while beating up a bunch of underclassmen.

Twice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

Personally, I like that Mirio screams "POWER" while beating up a bunch of underclassmen.

Twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N613a2BsI8w

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Given that the entrance exam had a hidden road to success when Deku did it, I wouldn't be surprised if the exam always rewarded people who did things other than smash robots. He could dodge their attacks all day with basic use of his power, so he could have drawn their attention and used that to keep the bots off of some friends while they smashed them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
being able to safely temporarily blind people is really useful