Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Warbadger posted:

Eh, it was torpedoed several times during the sinking and examination of the wreckage showed the bulkheads were still intact. So as far as belt armor goes it didn't do too badly. That wouldn't have meant a lot if late war magnetic torps detonated under the ship, but then none of the battleships were protected against that.

Nahh, I meant the vital hit from the KGV, and underwater protection against shells. The French, US and Japanese all actually had some underwater armor. The French even managed to combine that with a really good TDS.

And of course Bismarck got defanged by a ship fifteen years her elder in a timeframe that would look bad at Mers-el-Kebir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Is the Furutaka bad, or am I just bad at playing it? It feels like I should be getting more out of it than I do, but most matches end in me going 'Oh look torpedo bombers' and then dying.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

It's better than it used to be, but it still doesn't feel great.

Advantages over the Omaha seem to be higher velocity guns, and 8" main batteries vs. 6". The higher velocity helps you with AP shells hitting at a favorable impact angle from further away, and you don't have to lead targets as much. Bigger guns in theory mean better AP penetration and better AP/HE damage. However, there don't seem to be many targets in its tier range where you really benefit from more penetration, and the fewer, larger guns fire much slower, so you're not doing any more damage over a fight than spamming HE with the US cruiser.

As for the torpedoes, I'm not sure if it's worth taking the much slower 10km torpedoes over the faster 6km ones, although that is now the earliest you'll see 10km torpedoes since the Minekaze lost them.

And of as you said, the AA situation is super bad. I've lost that float plane to TB/DB squads quite a few times.

Anyway, I've been trying to go for citadels really aggressively but like you say, it doesn't feel like I can get a lot done.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

xthetenth posted:

Nahh, I meant the vital hit from the KGV, and underwater protection against shells. The French, US and Japanese all actually had some underwater armor. The French even managed to combine that with a really good TDS.

And of course Bismarck got defanged by a ship fifteen years her elder in a timeframe that would look bad at Mers-el-Kebir.

15 years does not make a ship's guns obsolete. If the shell penetrates and hits the right place, the age of the ship that fired the shot matters very little. Sometimes, all you need is one lucky hit at just the right place.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

CopperHound posted:

When will our clan tags start showing up in game? This is very important.

There has not been any word about this but I cannot imagine this going on too long without the clan tags going live. They are probably going to roll it out with whatever implementation of clam wars they have planned? Then again maybe not.. I just can't wait to see SEAMN all over the screen because the comedy value is high. We just have to be careful how we troll so as not to draw the ire of the mods and they blow their loads on us.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

demonR6 posted:

There has not been any word about this but I cannot imagine this going on too long without the clan tags going live. They are probably going to roll it out with whatever implementation of clam wars they have planned? Then again maybe not.. I just can't wait to see SEAMN all over the screen because the comedy value is high. We just have to be careful how we troll so as not to draw the ire of the mods and they blow their loads on us.

Knowing goons, that wont even last a day.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 30, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We are at +60 days since the creation of the clan with mod interaction and they have not shut us down. Granted it could take the actions of one of our special snowflakes to unravel the entire thing but until that time we sail on.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

15 years does not make a ship's guns obsolete. If the shell penetrates and hits the right place, the age of the ship that fired the shot matters very little. Sometimes, all you need is one lucky hit at just the right place.

And yet the developments of fifteen years make a good bit of difference in resolving both of those ifs.

As far as the lucky hit goes, it really helps when there's a nice assortment of ways to disable guns scattered outside the citadel, doesn't it?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

We are at +60 days since the creation of the clan with mod interaction and they have not shut us down. Granted it could take the actions of one of our special snowflakes to unravel the entire thing but until that time we sail on.

At least it is a better run than muslims for marriage equality.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Today's installment of "Wierd rear end 0100 EST Game Luck" features The Little Clemson That Could - or "Why Battleships Should Not Go Near DD Alley on Big Race, EVER"

For whatever reason, the game gave me 3 "Surprise Attack" daily mission things this go around. So, off to the DD Races I go...

:drat: :sureboat:

121,505 damage total, 4 kills, 4 medals, 1924 base XP and I cleared a bit over 325k silver with the completed daily payouts. 2 of the kills were from torpedoing battleships who wanted to play Ring Around The Island in DD Alley.

Oh yeah, the mini-map mod in the latest Aslains now has ship visibility range circles (currently for DDs only) and enemy direction of travel lines as options :getin: .

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
As I slowly climb up the tiers it seems that Torpedos seem to dominate more the higher the tier of ships I'm facing. Especially if there are a few carriers. Are Battleships still viable up on the higher tiers? If one of my BBs gets uptiered there is little I can do as I don't have the anti air weaponry to deal with any incoming bombers and don't have the speed or maneuverbility to evade even half of a manual torpedo drop at close range. Do I just have to hope the cruiser AA cover doesn't run away on its own when I'm in a BB in higher tiered battles or do BBs get better torpedo protection and/or speed to keep somehwat up with the torpedo threat?

Short version, should I even bother getting higher tier BBs or should I stick with all sorts of Cruisers and Destroyers?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It depends a lot on the skill of the CV player but yes, if a skilled CV player wants to get you and you don't have 2 AA cruisers close by you are dead. Despite this BB are playable, at least the ones that can brawl, just avoid long range fights vs HE spamming cruisers and short range duels vs DD.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

I don't know about you, but i might be trying to keep a semi permanent TK status, because Pink makes me look fabulous!!! :sissies:

So far, all the gay/hot load jokes I made have been well received and a lot of players even join along. Maybe the mods will unclench their tight rear end, take it like men and let us joke around.

If not, then they are just being :human being:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

I don't know about you, but i might be trying to keep a semi permanent TK status, because Pink makes me look fabulous!!! :sissies:

So far, all the gay/hot load jokes I made have been well received and a lot of players even join along. Maybe the mods will unclench their tight rear end, take it like men and let us joke around.

Well, they are Russians. Nuff said

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I just checked my stats. and the Atlanta is the highest average xp ship that I've played, 1748 over 13 battles. I think the :orks: is my spirit animal.

Also, I recently got the Farragut and have it upgraded. DDs are finally clicking for me, and I've been having a real blast with it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Is the Furutaka bad, or am I just bad at playing it? It feels like I should be getting more out of it than I do, but most matches end in me going 'Oh look torpedo bombers' and then dying.

I tried very hard to persevere in this boat, but I ended up Free XPing past it yesterday.

I don't regret it at all.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

TehKeen posted:

I just checked my stats. and the Atlanta is the highest average xp ship that I've played, 1748 over 13 battles. I think the :orks: is my spirit animal.

Also, I recently got the Farragut and have it upgraded. DDs are finally clicking for me, and I've been having a real blast with it.

Its surprising because the Farragut is generally frowned upon. It has a really bad detectability rating, something like 7.4 km if I remember. Minekaze will always have a special place in my heart. Even with the latest changes to it, you can still poo poo out torpedoes without being seen. I hosed up a New York real bad yesterday evening. The guy had been going in a straight line for a little while and all 6 torpedoes slammed in his side. I don't even think he tried avoiding them.

I sent him an obligatory: "What did you learn?" in chat but he never responded :(

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

MoraleHazard posted:

I love the new mod that let's you see all the hidden ships in the tech tree, including alpha awards, etc.

Also, which BB do you think I should get first, the Kongo or the New York? I'm leaning Kongo due to my experience in CBT.

You can't go wrong with the Kongo. You'll probably have more fun with that speedy beast.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Tahirovic posted:

It depends a lot on the skill of the CV player but yes, if a skilled CV player wants to get you and you don't have 2 AA cruisers close by you are dead. Despite this BB are playable, at least the ones that can brawl, just avoid long range fights vs HE spamming cruisers and short range duels vs DD.

Bolded the important part, when I'm in cruisers I frequently try to run interference for the BBs on my team, and even when I'm able to position myself so that the bombers have to actually fly over my ship to get at the BB, I still struggle to stop most of them from getting through, (if they don't decide to try to drop on me instead) usually I just have to rely on my AA ability to mess up the spread and hope the BB can fit through one of the gaps.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Any idea when they'll unlock the soviet destroyers ?
I heard october first but saw nothing official on this.

I'm aroussed by the idea of a destroyer with 8 fast turning 130mm guns.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I expect the Soviet destroyers will wreck face, especially at higher tiers. After a few days of Fubuki play, long range torps aren't all they're cracked up to be.

I'm looking forward to trying a brawling, short range, shell slinging, torp vomiting speed demon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It would go a long way if they would make AA not dogshit. In the tiers where there is basically AA it does not matter, and at the tiers were AA gets better, CVs have so many planes anyway.

Loosing a squad is barely a detriment since, you know, plenty more where these come from. Also saves the CV the time of the squad returning and rearming.

Letting a squad fly over cruisers that are loaded from top to bottom with AA should not go unpunised like that. And making attackruns on battleships that gets the plane within armsreach of the target should be equally as deadly.

That would CVs force to rely a bit on their team for scouting and not just drop the torps at a distance where they cannot be dodged.

Obviously DBs should get a few boni since they fly so high.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Krogort posted:

Any idea when they'll unlock the soviet destroyers ?
I heard october first but saw nothing official on this.

I'm aroussed by the idea of a destroyer with 8 fast turning 130mm guns.

October 16th for soviet destroyers and german cruisers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

Oh trolling is encouraged, just not to inflammatory levels that will bring down some shitler of a mod that makes us rename the clan like they did PANSY. I kept my rather lengthy discussions with the GM the first go around where they locked us down for that short period of time and they agreed there is nothing wrong with the clan name or description. Yes, some other shitter mod can countermand that but I will keep this up my sleeve.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I hate snipe fest, and I hate getting dragged to T9+ CV games :argh: I have both AA skills + AA range module but that doesn't help much.

e: Game's getting insanely boring thanks to herds of sheep sniping at 20+ km for 20 minutes. They should reduce maximum range for all ships and torps :colbert:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 30, 2015

Clarence
May 3, 2012

TehKeen posted:

Aoba : average xp of 3090 according to warshipstats. Okay, I might only have 5 battles in it... I could just never play it again and leave the stats there, because as soon as I've played a few more battles in it that average is going to plummet.

The Farragut has really grown on me recently. I tend to wait 30 seconds to a minute and then go in really aggressively. Either die instantly or tear things apart.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Oh trolling is encouraged, just not to inflammatory levels that will bring down some shitler of a mod that makes us rename the clan like they did PANSY. I kept my rather lengthy discussions with the GM the first go around where they locked us down for that short period of time and they agreed there is nothing wrong with the clan name or description. Yes, some other shitter mod can countermand that but I will keep this up my sleeve.

I'm not aware of what happened with Panzy... but I can just imagine. I'll try and keep it on the downlow so that people don't needlessly complain.

Can I still TK? I like my name in Pink. Makes me feel special.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

CopperHound posted:

At least it is a better run than muslims for marriage equality.

That clan name was so funny on so many levels. It's a shame WG didn't let it stay.

I had a tk pink badge for a couple days and the gay jokes made it a lot of fun.

Yeah, I'm going to go for the Kongo. Just have to save the silver to free xp the top ship. I hate stock ships.

On the Furutaka, it's a very fun ship if the reds are filled with Omahas, Tacos, Kumas, etc. You can two shot them if the angles are right. Clevelands and BBs will wreck you though.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2015

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I just started to play this game yesterday and I am officially hooked. It's not a grind if you're having fun.

Of course, I'm just in Tier 3 cruisers right now, and exploring the wonder and amazingness of the St. Louis.

Clan is full... how can I get on some division action? Just join teamspeak?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Stalkerr posted:

I just started to play this game yesterday and I am officially hooked. It's not a grind if you're having fun.

Of course, I'm just in Tier 3 cruisers right now, and exploring the wonder and amazingness of the St. Louis.

Clan is full... how can I get on some division action? Just join teamspeak?

That or the SEAMN channel in game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aesis posted:

I hate snipe fest, and I hate getting dragged to T9+ CV games :argh: I have both AA skills + AA range module but that doesn't help much.

e: Game's getting insanely boring thanks to herds of sheep sniping at 20+ km for 20 minutes. They should reduce maximum range for all ships and torps :colbert:

CV_Enterprise guy is like the number 1 ranked CV player or some poo poo. All he plays is CV

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Christ does WG never cease to amaze me.. this is the official modpack from Wargaming on the RU server. Looks a lot like what Aslain is putting out..

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fworldofwarships.ru%2Fru%2Fnews%2Fguides%2Fmods_050%2F

But wait, it gets better..

We do not guarantee compatibility with all modifications to the computer's configuration, as well as their correct operation in other versions of the game.

Really? Can you not take the time to check to see if what you stuffed in there works at all?? Oh wait you copied it over from somewhere else to begin with, checking things.. effort. my bad.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 30, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Christ does WG never cease to amaze me.. this is the official modpack from Wargaming on the RU server. Looks a lot like what Aslain is putting out..

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fworldofwarships.ru%2Fru%2Fnews%2Fguides%2Fmods_050%2F

That is loving ridiculous :doh:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So is the seamn channel just empty almost all the time or is everyone playing this only active on TeamSpeak? I've rarely seen more than four people in the channel at once (US server). Am I missing something?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

demonR6 posted:

But wait, it gets better..

We do not guarantee compatibility with all modifications to the computer's configuration, as well as their correct operation in other versions of the game.

Really? Can you not take the time to check to see if what you stuffed in there works at all?? Oh wait you copied it over from somewhere else to begin with, checking things.. effort. my bad.

Imitation is a form of flattery, I guess? :shrug:

Velius posted:

So is the seamn channel just empty almost all the time or is everyone playing this only active on TeamSpeak? I've rarely seen more than four people in the channel at once (US server). Am I missing something?

I've been wondering too.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you are in channel now and there are four of us. people are quirky, there are probably quite a few playing but being the unsociable fucks that we are.. we are not in the game channel and not in TS.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Can a cruiser citadel battleship at all? With plunging fire or something?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yes, I've done it with the Ibuki (on a Fuso) and the Zao (on a Nagato). I've also seen the Zao citadel the Izumo from the side at close range, but that may not be possible anymore.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

^^That pretty much.

Lady Morgaga posted:

Some of the lower tier Japanese BBs you can, but you have to be pretty drat close.

demonR6 posted:

you are in channel now and there are four of us. people are quirky, there are probably quite a few playing but being the unsociable fucks that we are.. we are not in the game channel and not in TS.

Since my premium ran out I havent been playing as much as I used too. Only like 3-4 games a night, if that. The credit grind(with and without premium) really got to me.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
So if I understand correctly with 8 inchers it can be done on battleship 2-3 tiers lower then yours. Thanks. Another question. Am I right thinking that Cleveland's guns are low velocity and so their penetration is bad and so it not really worth to shoot AP at any time?