Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It really doesn't make sense the way the shofar has been adopted by American Protestants, no. My understanding is that they just think it's a cool Jewish thing, and hey, Jesus was a Jew right? Let's use one'a them in the Wednesday night service. I'm oversimplifying, but I'm also completely serious that for some churches that is the extent of their thought process. It's analogous to how the refuge occupiers see themselves as direct descendants of great patriots such as Washington and Jefferson, but in reality the only similarities are that they own firearms and got in a conflict with a government.

p.s. you might consider to stop with the whole :goonsay: well actually Christians are doing it all wrong, because :goonsay: thing before you poke your eye out
I've always thought that it was to emphasize the Old Testament morality, rather than thinking it was cool.

I grew up being taught Young Earth Creationism, Noah's Ark and the Flood are literally real, Tower of Babel actually happened, etc. in Sunday School, and it's hard for me to imagine my old, very German-American pastor doing anything because he thought it was cool.

The stuff that, looking back now, I can see as being borrowed from Judaism mostly centered around Passover. I remember going to a full Passover Seder in our church basement, which didn't seem odd at the time, but it's kinda surreal in retrospect. I'm legit surprised that they never brought out the shofar, but maybe it was too close to the horn they blow at Vikings games. Folks were already grumbly enough when the sermon ran long and they missed kickoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Literally vampires, I hope.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The emails themselves aren't that interesting, it was just the volume of them. As penance, please accept this article: http://www.audubon.org/news/the-birds-are-back-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge
I really like this:

quote:

It was a different sort of occupation than the bizarre, 41-day takeover of the nearby Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January and February. That’s when a group of disaffected out-of-towners walked onto the refuge, armed to the teeth, in a vague, threatening beef with the federal government. Those people have left, most of them for jail, but not before doing considerable damage.

At the refuge’s headquarters, occupiers smoked in all of the rooms, overflowed the septic system, trashed offices, bulldozed over Native American artifacts, stole computers and cameras, dismantled a Great Horned Owl nest, and prevented biologists from doing two months of work.

I also am enjoying how there's no Bundy news to post so we are reduced to guns, religion, and now birds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

The emails themselves aren't that interesting, it was just the volume of them. As penance, please accept this article: http://www.audubon.org/news/the-birds-are-back-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge
I really like this:

I also am enjoying how there's no Bundy news to post so we are reduced to guns, religion, and now birds.

They missed an opportunity by not naming the article "The Birds are Back in Town".

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Wow messing with owls that's hosed up

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

WrenP-Complete posted:

I really like this:

Dang I know exactly what owl nest that was too. I was at the refuge less than a year before the retard brigade kicked all this off. Hope the owl we saw moved on before they took apart his home in the name of freedom (???)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

Wow messing with owls that's hosed up
I like your av.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Dang I know exactly what owl nest that was too. I was at the refuge less than a year before the retard brigade kicked all this off. Hope the owl we saw moved on before they took apart his home in the name of freedom (???)

Where was the nest?! I initially thought they meant the occupiers took apart a model nest that was in a building or something. Now I'm pissed.

VV I don't want to post another comment just to say this, but FWIW "hocus pocus" is how you say "abra cadabera" in Hebrew, like the thing you say when the magic is happening. This is especially odd because abra cadabera could be distorted Hebrew for "It will be as I have said."

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Azathoth posted:

The stuff that, looking back now, I can see as being borrowed from Judaism mostly centered around Passover. I remember going to a full Passover Seder in our church basement, which didn't seem odd at the time, but it's kinda surreal in retrospect. I'm legit surprised that they never brought out the shofar, but maybe it was too close to the horn they blow at Vikings games. Folks were already grumbly enough when the sermon ran long and they missed kickoff.

If you went to any kind of super-duper conservative evangelical protestant church, I can venture a guess that they did this partially because they've gone through the looking-glass in their efforts to flip the bird ever-harder toward Rome. The more traditional Christian churches all celebrate Lent, which takes some cues from Passover, but this is a no-no for a lot of more radical/reactionary Protestants, because the Pope celebrates Lent and it is therefore wrong/corrupted/hocus-pocus.

I'm not a big expert on any of this, but I think it's relevant to consider how the "patriot" movement has a lot of fringe religious beliefs tied up in it. Some of these fringe churches and movements adopt Jewish things because of their cosmological and eschatological beliefs that they are the one true group with the only true holy teachings, and because Christianity and Mormonism derive some things from Judaism it's important for them to lay claim to what they see as their divinely-sanctioned lineage. Some of you are probably familiar with how some super-conservative evangelicals are very pro-Zionism because they believe Jews must control the holy land in order to bring about their particular interpretation of the apocalypse, but there are other even fringe-ier beliefs similar to this. For example, there is the belief that "white people" are actually the only true descendants of the ancient Israelites. I'm not super well-versed on this one, but to me it sounds like a convenient way for American white supremacists to square two ideas that are kind of at odds: (1) their belief that the fantastic, Dungeons and Dragons-style interpretation of the book of Revelation is literally true, and (2) their paranoid conspiracies about Jews. And while it's less racist in certain ways, the Mormon belief that Native Americans are descendants of the Israelites might be relevant here, as well. I can't say I know a lot about conspiracy theories held by Mormons, but it wouldn't surprise me if people like the Bundys might consider the federal government to be persecuting natives as well as the one true bringers of the restored Gospel (i.e. Mormons).

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The biggest one wasn't illegal; they let one of the occupier supporters come on and say they'd "never fired a bullet in anger", a statement that went unchallenged. Macnab was apoplectic.

Yeah that interview pissed me off. Just letting that Oathkeeper idiot spit lies with barely any pushback.

'we've never fired a shot in anger'
*people from bunkerville murder cops in Vegas*
'Uhhh they're not part of the movement. Also don't call it a movement'
*completely ignores McVeigh's existence*

Also he compared the patriot movement to civil rights movement and Rosa Parks. And then bristled when the interviewed pointed that out.

HAHAHA I'm relistening to it now. They asked him why they brought guns if it's a non-violent protest. WHY DON'T WE DISARM LAW ENFORCEMENT INSTEAD?

red19fire has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Oct 3, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

I like your av.

Where was the nest?! I initially thought they meant the occupiers took apart a model nest that was in a building or something. Now I'm pissed.

VV I don't want to post another comment just to say this, but FWIW "hocus pocus" is how you say "abra cadabera" in Hebrew, like the thing you say when the magic is happening. This is especially odd because abra cadabera could be distorted Hebrew for "It will be as I have said."

There were two, one was out over the edge of the lake, and the other was on top of the firewatch tower that the evildoers were using as a sniper perch/lookout post. The tower wasn't used by the refuge so they turned it into a big owl hangout/nesting spot. It was super cool and I hope the owls'll come back to their cool owl clubhouse.

Here it is in use by it's rightful occupants.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Why did they drop firearms charges against Shawna Cox?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Why did they drop firearms charges against Shawna Cox?

They found a firearm in her car along with her ID, but couldn't prove the firearm belonged to her.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/783073504673476608

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

http://www.timesofisrael.com/oregon-militia-members-blow-battle-trumpet-shofars/

There's criticism of technique:

quote:

The guys in the video don’t nail the staccato “tekiah gedolah” style heard in synagogues on Rosh Hashanah. But they get an A for anarchistic effort.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

the defense is hinging the entire opening of their case on the testimony of one of Eastern Oregon's patented loner hermit weirdos:

(also they accidentally proved part of the prosecutions allegations)

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/oregon-standoff-trial-ammon-bundy-david-fry/

quote:

The Defense’s Theory About Weapons

Throughout the Tuesday morning testimony, a clear thread began to appear in the defense’s case about weapons.

The prosecution, who last week presented a large display of weaponry and ammunition recovered from the refuge, has attempted to show the guns were used to intimidate federal employees. However, the defense is arguing occupiers brought guns and kept them at the refuge out of concern for hypothetical actions by federal law enforcement.

U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown said she will allow the defense to develop that theory before the jury. However, Brown added the theory does not address the main charge all of the defendants face — that they conspired to impede federal workers from doing their jobs by using threats, force or intimidation.

The defense attempted to draw the connection between weapons and growing worry about the FBI through witness Chris Briels.

A Burns, Oregon, resident since 1978, Briels explained what he described as suspicious activity by people near the armory in Burns, who he later discovered were federal agents. Briels testified he would sometimes follow them and call the police.

Briels also visited the refuge to meet with occupiers, including Ammon Bundy, multiple times. It appeared the defense tried to show Bundy was receiving news from outside the refuge that was alarming.
Security At The Refuge

In his testimony, Briels also detailed his visits to the refuge.

When Briels would visit, he said, a white pickup truck was parked at the refuge entrance with armed guards standing by. The guards would radio back to people on the refuge for approval. The truck would back up, clearing a path, and Briels would proceed onto the refuge, according to his testimony.

Briels said this check-in procedure happened every time.

The prosecution jumped on this detail, which repeated points they raised while laying out their case: The organized security operation established by the occupiers impeded federal workers from doing their jobs.

they also called Fry's dad up which is less funny and more super sad :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There were two, one was out over the edge of the lake, and the other was on top of the firewatch tower that the evildoers were using as a sniper perch/lookout post. The tower wasn't used by the refuge so they turned it into a big owl hangout/nesting spot. It was super cool and I hope the owls'll come back to their cool owl clubhouse.

Here it is in use by it's rightful occupants.

isnt glass kinda dangerous around birds, due to risk of birdstrike?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

When Briels would visit, he said, a white pickup truck was parked at the refuge entrance with armed guards standing by. The guards would radio back to people on the refuge for approval. The truck would back up, clearing a path, and Briels would proceed onto the refuge, according to his testimony.

Because we all know the Feds wouldn't just bulldoze that over with an armored truck

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SocketWrench posted:

Because we all know the Feds wouldn't just bulldoze that over with an armored truck

Well, in fairness, the Feds presumably didn't want to trigger another Waco or Ruby Ridge, which is why they did things the way they did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phobophilia posted:

isnt glass kinda dangerous around birds, due to risk of birdstrike?

With the muntins I doubt it’s a problem.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The crazy is loose today

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/783458328303144960

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/783433772955897856

https://twitter.com/CTRNewsFeed/status/783404550682087424

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/783480468624642049

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pretty sure that a crime.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess the judge ruled against cowboy cosplay? Not only no boots, but he's in jail scrubs.

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

If screenshots of screenshots of screenshots aren't a crime yet they really should be

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Young Freud posted:

What's being alleged here?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

being a real fuckin dick

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

The Facebook post that's screenshotted is describing jurors who objected to a Bundy supporters' shirt suggesting jury nullification. While it doesn't drop names, it gives their numbers, their ages, and speculation about occupation that could be use to identify them and intimidate them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the defense is hinging the entire opening of their case on the testimony of one of Eastern Oregon's patented loner hermit weirdos:

(also they accidentally proved part of the prosecutions allegations)

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/oregon-standoff-trial-ammon-bundy-david-fry/

they also called Fry's dad up which is less funny and more super sad :smith:

So part of the argument is that they were totally justified in stockpiling weapons in their illegal takeover of federal land because they were afraid of the Feds responding? That's like saying bank robbers are totally right to keep hostages because they are worried about the cops. The idea that anything they did could possibly be wrong in any way continues to elude them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, in fairness, the Feds presumably didn't want to trigger another Waco or Ruby Ridge, which is why they did things the way they did.

Well yeah. But taking from the Bundy bunch and their belief the government would drop the hammer, you'd think a pickup truck and a couple guys would be like nothing when it comes to some sort of defense

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Young Freud posted:

The Facebook post that's screenshotted is describing jurors who objected to a Bundy supporters' shirt suggesting jury nullification. While it doesn't drop names, it gives their numbers, their ages, and speculation about occupation that could be use to identify them and intimidate them.

I thought jury nullification would be the jury returning a verdict of "not guilty" even if they believed that the defendants were guilty of the violation charged. A shirt with defendants' names and not guilty could just be an attempt to sway the decision, perhaps. But it's very likely I don't know the correct terms.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Maybe Jury Nullifications shirts are in this season.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Maybe Jury Nullifications shirts are in this season.

For a few years at least. I was dating an attorney 6ish years ago who was mad about this sort of thing: http://www.zazzle.com/youve_just_begun_reading_about_jury_nullification_t_shirt-235966232853064181

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

So part of the argument is that they were totally justified in stockpiling weapons in their illegal takeover of federal land because they were afraid of the Feds responding? That's like saying bank robbers are totally right to keep hostages because they are worried about the cops. The idea that anything they did could possibly be wrong in any way continues to elude them.

Well I think their argument is that they were afraid of the feds before the takeover because something something false flag states rights FEMA death camps something, hence why they called a literal insane man to the stand to testify that he followed around some FBI agents who were totally gang stalking him this one time you guys honest

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol

quote:

Bundy became emotional on the stand several times, his voice quivering as he described how "useless'' it seems fighting against federal authorities who have put his father, his brothers and him behind bars.
His voice choking with emotion, Bundy said it's been nearly impossible to challenge the federal government.

"We can't do it against these people. They're too smart. They're too strong. We can't fight them. Now they're prosecuting us. ... My dad and brothers are all in jail right now, every single one of them. It's wrong,'' Bundy said, tears filling his eyes.

poor baby :getin:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought jury nullification would be the jury returning a verdict of "not guilty" even if they believed that the defendants were guilty of the violation charged. A shirt with defendants' names and not guilty could just be an attempt to sway the decision, perhaps. But it's very likely I don't know the correct terms.

It's closer to doxxing. Describing the jurors on Facebook could be construed as trying to *nudge nudge wink wink* get some wacky follower to intimidate the juror into hanging the jury.

Nullification is when a jury decides to ignore the judges instruction and letter of the law because they feel the law is unjust. For example, in the antebellum South juries would refuse to find members of lynch mobs guilty even with clear evidence. But on the flip side, in the North juries would refuse to find people guilty who sheltered or assisted escaped slaves despite the runaway slave laws in place.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

lol

lol they're like the waterfall family from futurama except they keep going to jail instead of dying

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ate all the Oreos posted:

Well I think their argument is that they were afraid of the feds before the takeover because something something false flag states rights FEMA death camps something, hence why they called a literal insane man to the stand to testify that he followed around some FBI agents who were totally gang stalking him this one time you guys honest

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you you’re entitled to a GET OUT OF JAIL, FREE card.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you you’re entitled to a GET OUT OF JAIL, FREE card.

No you see it was self-defense! Long, planned-out self-defense that involved a lot of talking about how it was a revolution and not at all self defense!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

evilweasel posted:

lol

Aww, poor little privileged man-baby getting a crash course in the real world. :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Aww, poor little privileged man-baby getting a crash course in the real world. :allears:

My just world fallacy, we were supposed to win :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

To be fair I also resent the fact that it is hard to get away with breaking the law.