Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Whenever I see a Widowmaker I hit P and check their profile. If they're one of those guys who spends 70%+ of their time as Widowmaker (and the vast majority of the time, they are), I click avoid this player. Someday I will be free of snipers forever. Someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Confused - I have 25ms ping, 50ms RTT, yet I continuously have the Lightning Bolt network performance indicator on screen. Nothing else seems to be complaining, just Overwatch, so I'm a little bemused.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bolivar posted:

Hmm what's this about? I don't play him much but got the Okami skin on saturday from a box :gary: So far my wolf ults have been unsuccessful, but I need to pick better angles/ better timing.

Regular hanzo: "RYUU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU!"

Wolf hanzo: "Okami yo waga teki WO KURAU!"

It's a pretty significant difference in having time to get away in a loud environment. Also, if a genji reflects a wolf ult and doesn't own the wolf skin, it becomes invisible. Another piece of low hanging fruit.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Grammaton posted:

I got the cool Explorer Winston skin in a level up loot box. Too bad I never play Winston.

I got it as well, also the peanut butter emote and spray so the game is trying to tell me something. I don't really get stuff done with Winston, but at least in the random hero brawl I can do the occasional suicide stomps with him.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Confused - I have 25ms ping, 50ms RTT, yet I continuously have the Lightning Bolt network performance indicator on screen. Nothing else seems to be complaining, just Overwatch, so I'm a little bemused.

I think it's packet loss, you may have good ping but some exchange is being lost.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Six games in a row today where my team lost due to a fake overtime momentum swing at 99%. I wish I was recording because in two of them I was demonstrably by myself in the cap area with no one even remotely around and the game still kept ticking time in contested mode for 10+ seconds forcing an overtime.

It's absurd and fake. Blizzard, I'm not sure how you expect this game to be taken seriously as a competitive shooter when your server is arbitrarily picking winners to make it "more exciting." It's not cool to lose because the server decided that your team doesn't deserve to win because your focus groups have come to conclusion that player retention fals 2.99582% when one team loses in a bad way.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What is "fake overtime momentum swing"?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tequila Sunrise posted:

"I was on the point/no one was on the point but overtime ended/kicked in because 20 tickrate/character is OP/sinister Blizzard MMR conspiracies" is my guess based on his complaint. I've had all of one game where I swore I landed on the point before overtime expired and it did so anyway but it was also down to the wire so it could have gone either way to be honest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
overtime in this game is really stupid but it's theoretically equal opportunity stupid

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I.. don't even know. Blizzard forums :shrug:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Considering projectile weapons have literal autoaim, I'm not surprised people don't trust basic game mechanics.

There's nothing odd about Overtime though. It's just a really awkward mechanic for KotH cause it has no time limit so you can just pick a bunch of Tracers and make it go forever. It works well in other game modes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Comebacks in 6's are totally a thing. That is good.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Elman posted:

There's nothing odd about Overtime though. It's just a really awkward mechanic for KotH cause it has no time limit so you can just pick a bunch of Tracers and make it go forever. It works well in other game modes.

Sometimes OT starts even without anyone contesting the objective.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the 2 minute overtime battles are fun

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I play an insanely aggressive Lucio because pubs are timid as gently caress, fail to recognize and capitalize on damage, and have no sense of space control. So I'm swapping to speed boost to zip around fleeing targets, shove them into a corner to pummel them, and then getting the hell out while healing a lot. I got a combat POTG with no environmental kills earlier tonight because I got a solo kill and like 4 assists in a short period. When wrangling a group of newer guys on Numbani, I went quad gold including elims.

Aggressive Lucio is fun as gently caress when you can do it. His terrible dps combined with the punch and shove actually make him able to "burst" down a 200 hp character in a couple seconds, while controlling spacing and self-healing through their damage. I'm sure at some point I'll no longer be able to be so stupid risky but like 100 levels at a 53% winrate and I'm not there yet.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vargs posted:

Whenever I see a Widowmaker I hit P and check their profile. If they're one of those guys who spends 70%+ of their time as Widowmaker (and the vast majority of the time, they are), I click avoid this player. Someday I will be free of snipers forever. Someday...

just play winston

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kai Tave posted:

"I was on the point/no one was on the point but overtime ended/kicked in because 20 tickrate/character is OP/sinister Blizzard MMR conspiracies" is my guess based on his complaint. I've had all of one game where I swore I landed on the point before overtime expired and it did so anyway but it was also down to the wire so it could have gone either way to be honest.

I've had a few games where team mates were clearly on the point, not like walked off and back on, but standing on it for a while and had the overtime end saying they weren't. Kind of sucks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Man, Torbjorn is just an angry little ball of death. His turret is brutal, sure, but his gun just absolutely destroys people. I even outdamaged a Reaper just because I headshotted him more consistently.

Of course my real enemy is often my teammates who tell me to stop playing Torbjorn on offense when I have the gold medal for both damage and eliminations after turning the point into a mobile death fortress, so I don't know what they want from me.

Thats how i am playing - unfortunately Real Life and even medium bots hate turrets with a vengance followed by their creator

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Magic Underwear posted:

Has there been any information about a patch? There is some real low hanging fruit that would make things better without having to do a balance pass. Like normalizing the volume on hanzo's wolf skin ult (cosmetics should never offer a competitive advantage) and widowmaker ult (it's easily one of the most dangerous yet almost impossible to hear). Plus the weird inconsistencies like how there is no friendly torbjorn or reinhardt ult callout. They also need to fix the map exploits, like escaping the spawn room and planting symmetra turrets outside the map.

There have been Blizzard posts where they've talked about nerfing McCree's fan the hammer damage, buffing D.Va (but not her damage, more likely her survivability), and "lowering the frustration threshold" for Widowmaker by nerfing her in some way.

It's in that order, too. They have a firm idea what they want for McCree - for him to not be able to burst down tanks. They have a general idea what they want to do for D.Va, and they're only really looking at Widowmaker and trying to decide what to do for her.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

and "lowering the frustration threshold" for Widowmaker

Some Widowmakers get jumped by Wiston/Tracer and get frustated, therefore we're giving her a flashbang/fan style combo to deal with them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

I faced an All-Mei Offense team on Anubis today.

...Probably the easiest match I've had in all my time playing, even though I was Torb.

Played attack against a 4-man premade last night that were all Widows on Route 66. They kept asking in map chat if anyone wanted to join their Widowmaker guild/group/gaggle. I laughed behind Reins shield while dropping them as 76. As we approached the last point they started to switch, but it was far too late. A Widowmaker guild.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

They're probably gonna nerf Widow's ult.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I have a harder time hitting Soldier 76 than anybody else in the cast. Mercy and mechless DVa are technically thinner, I think, but it seems like S76 leans into his strafe motions more, so he tends to wiggle more effectively.

Just me?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

She needs to be dropped to 150 health and have a longer charge time.

Widow has really made me appreciate how vulnerable Valve made the sniper in TF2 as a tradeoff to his killing power.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

just give widowmaker permanent DK mode

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It really does make gently caress-all sense that Zenyatta, who's supposed to be up near the front lines, has 150 health, while Widowmaker, who should be a glass cannon like all snipers in every game ever, is actually just a cannon with 200 health. She's like a Mary Sue video game character. You can almost imagine the pitch on her design being delivered by a breathless 9-year old: "She's a sniper, and she's got a grappling hook, and a poison mine, and can see through walls, and she's got an assault rifle, and her skin is blue because she's literally cold-blooded. And she looks like a beautiful French maid." I'd be embarrassed to put a character like that in a game I made, but what do I know, I haven't sold 7 million copies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We've entered the goon snowball phase where characters who are maybe a little too strong become mythologized into unstoppable killing machines with no weaknesses because they got waxed a couple times by a Bronze-level widow.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
let's face it, this is the mary sue game

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Imagined posted:

and her skin is blue because she's literally cold-blooded

Oh poo poo is that the real reason? I was wondering why only one character in this game randomly has blue skin. That's the dumbest loving thing, god dammit Blizzard.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Oh poo poo is that the real reason? I was wondering why only one character in this game randomly has blue skin. That's the dumbest loving thing, god dammit Blizzard.

Blizzard posted:

She was given extensive training in the covert arts, and then her physiology was altered, drastically slowing her heart, which turned her skin cold and blue and numbed her ability to experience human emotion.

Because Metzen.

exquisite tea posted:

We've entered the goon snowball phase where characters who are maybe a little too strong become mythologized into unstoppable killing machines with no weaknesses because they got waxed a couple times by a Bronze-level widow.

I'm not saying she's invincible or some kind of god. I'm just saying Blizzard went deliberately out of their way to give her none of the weaknesses that are traditionally, and for good reason, given to snipers. Because Blizzard are obviously well-known for their FPS expertise and know better than Valve, for example.

McCree is a good design that's just a little too strong. Widowmaker is just a terrible idea from the ground up and shouldn't have ever been put in the game.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 13, 2016

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Ran into a Lucio 5 stack last night and it was absolutely hilarious. Map was the Well portion of Ilios. Those buggers were skating around the point all over the place and man were they hard to get rid of. Of course, they couldn't really kill any of us except for the occasional lucky doot that knocked us into the pit. Trying to kill 5 Lucios is like trying to swat a bunch of scurrying cockroaches all at once.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
there is no way to beat widow, every match where there is a widow on the enemy team we lose and whenever we have a widow we win. everyone always ask me to go widow and teams with multiple widows are unstoppable she can solo an entire team by herself and even if you get close to her she can just assault rifle you to death instantly and shes good on all maps and has no counters and always gets play of the game and shes the easiest class to play so any noob can pick her upp and headshot the enemy team easy please remove widow from game and bastion also, bastion is impossible to fight and has no weaknessees and

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

there is no way to beat widow, every match where there is a widow on the enemy team we lose and whenever we have a widow we win. teams with multiple widows are unstoppable she can solo an entire team by herself and even if you get close to her she can just assault rifle you to death instantly and shes good on all maps and has no counters and always gets play of the game and shes the easiest class to play so any noob can pick her upp and headshot the enemy team easy please remove widow from game and bastion also, bastion is impossible to fight and has no weaknessees and

Yes I believe this characterizes my argument perfectly.

Actually the problem is the opposite. The problem isn't that "any noob" can solo the enemy team with her. She's fine in the hands of the average player. The problem with her is that Blizzard seemingly didn't account for people who are loving great at FPS games when they designed her. A noob can't solo a whole team with Widowmaker, but someone who's great at FPS games definitely can. That's not true of any other character with the exception of possibly McCree, who's in the queue for the nerf bat already. That's why people keep saying the only counter to a good Widowmaker is an even better Widowmaker. That's also not true of any other character right now.

I get that you all are sick of hearing this every page but in the absence of patches or any other news there isn't much else to talk about.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im just voicing my concern about purple lady

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Remove widowmaker's scope and let her be soldier 77

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Am I allowed to complain if I keep getting matched against pro overwatch players who are on teams and play in tournaments? Because thats what keeps happening to me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my nemesis recently has been reaper, he destroys me all the time no matter who i play as :(

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Ahhpple posted:

Am I allowed to complain if I keep getting matched against pro overwatch players who are on teams and play in tournaments? Because thats what keeps happening to me.

play drunk for a while, it's more fun and mellows out your MMR

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what i liked about tf2 and the custom servers was the fact you rarely faced off against premades if you didnt want to and whenever a game got too lopsided you could always initiate a vote to scramble teams or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Uh that was a joke quote post about overtime. I hope none of yall are taking that seriously.