Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

StupidNameNobody posted:

I just watched season 1 of this show and I was kinda shocked. Holy poo poo it's so good! I always had it cornered away in my mind as a sortof inferior version of the Simpsons. But it's totally got its own identity and really feels true to heart and just so drat funny and real. In this day and age, I have to say that Hank Hill is actually a pretty cool guy.

Are the seasons after this good???? This feels like early Simpons to me! And that's a high compliment!

There are two shows I wish I could get selective amnesia and rewatch fresh, it's this and Venture Bros. The only mediocre season is the second-to-last, all others are good-to-amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not a Children posted:

There are two shows I wish I could get selective amnesia and rewatch fresh, it's this and Venture Bros. The only mediocre season is the second-to-last, all others are good-to-amazing

I'd say S11 is worse, but :shrug:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Turn it on and zone out. Don't worry about the government listing in when you laugh.

It's what Dale would have wanted.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Treecko posted:

. Don't worry about the government…

Get out of here CIA Man!!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Treecko posted:

Turn it on and zone out. Don't worry about the government listing in when you laugh.

They can only legally record you if you have laughed in the last 5 minutes, which is why they invented laugh tracks as a legal loophole.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

"Merry Christmas gentlemen! What's with the black suit Hank, someone die? Oh... someone did die... Your mom's best friend, if I recall. Well, this is awkward. Merry Christmas?"

That has got to be one of my favorite cold openings of the show, along with Kahn dancing around in the bathroom when he notices Hank looking at him from his kitchen.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2023

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Caught this today:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
He'll be OK in the morning

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
where's John Redcorn? seems might suspicious he's been silent this whole time.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
He's been consoling Nancy. Good man, that John Redcorn.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

• Hated Dale Gribble
• Known murderer
• Wants control of the gun club again

I'm just saying, the evidence is right there, people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
....can't believe busey outlived hardwick

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Turns out, Mr. Hardwick got into the studio a few times. For the last time. :(

quote:

Johnny Hardwick Completed Work on a 'Couple' of New King of the Hill Episodes Before Death

Hardwick was previously confirmed to return in Hulu's revival as Dale Gribble.

The late Johnny Hardwick was set to reprise his role as bug exterminator Dale Gribble in Hulu’s upcoming King of the Hill revival, and IGN has learned that he actually managed to complete filming on a couple of episodes before his tragic death last week.

TVLine first reported the news, and IGN has confirmed with a source close to the production, that he was able to finish some of the work on the revival, which was announced earlier this year and is slated to come out sometime in 2024.

Hardwick’s impact on the show went beyond his voice work as the chain-smoking conspiracy theorist who was one of the frequently appearing neighbors of the Hill family. He also worked as a writer, story editor, and producer, along with appearing in 257 of the 258 episodes of the original King of the Hill on Fox. Hardwick died last Tuesday at the age of 64.

It’s unclear, however, if Hulu will recast Dale in its revival, given that he was one of the most prominent characters who interacted with the Hills, in addition to being one of the most beloved. Along with the Hills, Dale was closely linked with other side characters like his wife Nancy and son Joseph, making it little surprise that he would be back for the revival.

The new King of the Hill will feature a time jump, leaping to a present day where Bobby Hill, who ended the original series as a 13-year-old, is all grown up. In addition to Hardwick, voice actors Kathy Najimy, Stephen Root, Pamela Adlon, and Lauren Tom had previously been confirmed to return for the revival, in addition to original series creators Mike Judge and Greg Daniels.

So there's still some new material primed and ready. As a treat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agent Escalus posted:

Turns out, Mr. Hardwick got into the studio a few times. For the last time. :(

So there's still some new material primed and ready. As a treat.

Assuming they don't switch voice actors and re-record the lines and only include them as a DVD special feature but just as sound clips not actually in the proper episodes. This would be extremely Hulu.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
just cap it here as a little bonus king of the hill content post-original-run and let the concept die there

I can't imagine rebooting without Dale, maybe a new show, but how do you do "King of the Hill" without Dale :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They're going to recast him. Make your peace with that now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I hope they re-order the episodes so everything he recorded is front loaded then have a very special episode where he has to get a voice box. It can be fancy and not sounding all robotic but be different and explain the change easy enough to get through the rest of the season episodes then call it done. It really depends on how they wrote and what lines he's recorded.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Dale will get hit in the throat by a stray blowdart shot prematurely by Octavio. Somehow this will make him sound British.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It’s gonna be A.I. Dale, he’s become part of THE BEAST

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

a sexual elk posted:

It’s gonna be A.I. Dale, he’s become part of THE BEAST

It would be incredibly grim if they went down the ai route. There was a pretty good Dale voice generator but it's gone now which feels like a victory for voice actors as well as Dale, the man himself

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If they AI Dale I'll burn something down idc what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Milo and POTUS posted:

If they AI Dale I'll burn something down i'll tell you what

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Hank is haunted by Shackleford's Angel

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
On the other hand Mike Judge could probably cruise the streets of an Austin suburb and find 100 guys that sound exactly like Johnny Hardwick in about an hour.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They'll probably just do a wacky Dale bit like the creators did to replace Justin Royland on that other cartoon he was voicing on.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

A lot of people can do the voice of Dale, but not many would be able to act like him. A lot of his delivery was really specific and just hilarious.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
John Redcorn kills Dale and gets plastic surgery to look just like him, but the voice is Redcorn's

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's not like it would be hard to write dale out of the show, if one were so inclined. Just say he's in jail for participating in January 6th or something. Government has to catch up to him eventually for something

naem
May 29, 2011

e:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

It's not like it would be hard to write dale out of the show, if one were so inclined. Just say he's in jail for participating in January 6th or something. Government has to catch up to him eventually for something

yeah but who is left? Why not do a spin off where Bobby moves to New York or something? Nancy flees after Dale's arrest and runs off with redcorn, I really don't see Hank wanting to leave Texas though so that's a sticking point. You just can't keep the same focus with the supporting cast gutted.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I need my 4 boys drinking in an alley going "Yep" or it isn't KotH.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dale is probably the most popular character outside of the Hill family too.

Luanne and Lucky with their VA’s passed long before the revival have an easier out, but unless the focus is mostly on adult Bobby and a newer supporting cast and a smaller focus on the original neighbors, it’s hard to do without Dale.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bobjr posted:

Dale is probably the most popular character outside of the Hill family too.

Luanne and Lucky with their VA’s passed long before the revival have an easier out, but unless the focus is mostly on adult Bobby and a newer supporting cast and a smaller focus on the original neighbors, it’s hard to do without Dale.
Yes, but

SettingSun posted:

I need my 4 boys drinking in an alley going "Yep" or it isn't KotH.
This is probably influenced by me watching the first few eps of the dreadful futurama reboot, but probably best to just let it rest at this point. If Hardwick recorded a couple episodes, release them as "the lost episodes" or whatever and move on.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just do old hank hill telling stories about arlen from la casa bonanza retirement home like mike judge's tales from the tour bus

you can have any number of dead characters appear with nonspeaking lines and still tell a story

plus it'd be good still instead of doing some future reboot crap

Nov 6, 2002

It's Bobby Hill, as King of the Hill in NEW YORK CITY, trying to keep his struggling new BBQ restaurant in business while juggling being a single father of two after his wife died in a tragic propane accident.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
King of Murray Hill

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's Bobby Hill, as King of the Hill in NEW YORK CITY, trying to keep his struggling new BBQ restaurant in business while juggling being a single father of two after his wife died in a tragic propane accident.

Bobby Hill has moved to the big city and into an apartment complex full of oddballs and slackers.

Mission Hill season two baby, we're making it happen.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dammit I almost made a King of the Mission Hill joke

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Do not tempt me. Mission Hill was taken from us before its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Maybe we're focusing on the wrong character for the spinoff.

This week on Boomhauer: Texas Ranger, Boomhauer infiltrates a crime ring led by a familiar face - Alabaster Jones - selling counterfeit propane accessories out of the OKC.