Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I mean yes, it was an existential struggle between tribes for land. If either side could exterminate the other quickly they would have. I'm sure natives prayed to their gods for the utter destruction of the invaders through whatever means available. But the atrocities were going both ways. Ever hear of scalping? Torture was common too. It was a brutal hellscape of plague and war.

History is a rough place. The Native Americans were genocidal towards one another. It's not like some big hippie camp the white man waltzed into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It actually seems historically debatable if it ever happened, or if it can scientifically even work (smallpox not being easily transmitted through those means).

Lord Jeffrey Amherst posted:

Could it not be contrived to send the small pox among the disaffected tribes of Indians? We must on this occasion use every stratagem in our power to reduce them.

P.S. I will try to inocculate [sic] the Indians by means of Blankets that may fall in their hands, taking care however not to get the disease myself. As it is pity to oppose good men against them, I wish we could make use of the Spaniard's Method, and hunt them with English Dogs. Supported by Rangers, and some Light Horse, who would I think effectively extirpate or remove that Vermine.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I mean yes, it was an existential struggle between tribes for land. If either side could exterminate the other quickly they would have. I'm sure natives prayed to their gods for the utter destruction of the invaders through whatever means available. But the atrocities were going both ways. Ever hear of scalping? Torture was common too. It was a brutal hellscape of plague and war.

History is a rough place. The Native Americans were genocidal towards one another. It's not like some big hippie camp the white man waltzed into.

I disagree with the idea that they were genocidal, like yeah they had wars and were brutal as any other human, but the kind of systemic wiping out other people's completely was a pretty unique marker of colonialism.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I disagree with the idea that they were genocidal, like yeah they had wars and were brutal as any other human, but the kind of systemic wiping out other people's completely was a pretty unique marker of colonialism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth

Wiping people off the face of the earth did not start with colonials

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
yeah gee wow..some africans even participated in the slave trade wow hmmm, makes ya think. complex issue. maybe they are actually just as bad? I bet some jews in 1930s germany were not even really very good dudes. maybe even some were criminals?... hmmmmmmm the hot takes I'm opening up to now that my vision isn't clouded by liberal lies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No one claimed it did. Address what's being argued, you dissembling coward.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

No one claimed it did. Address what's being argued, you dissembling coward.

You quoted the one correspondence that is used to make the claim that there was wipespread blanket handouts to give the Natives smallpox. I already posted an article saying that while the one guy wanted to try it, it's barely scientifically to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13mqa.html

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Wow all those examples of genociding multiple ethnic groups and nations in there, oh wait, there's just a couple cities.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You quoted the one correspondence that is used to make the claim that there was wipespread blanket handouts to give the Natives smallpox. I already posted an article saying that while the one guy wanted to try it, it's barely scientifically to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13mqa.html

You keep moving those goalposts. This is literally something you posted just a couple posts ago:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If you read the quote it sounds like they were giving the blankets to emissaries as a thank you for not attacking, as legitimately a gift, it's actually pretty fuzzy if you read it

You posted this because you are an idiot.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
You guys think that the white man invented evil on earth. It's stunningly idiotic

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
no, we're just not so loving moronic that we think the white man's actions aren't a big deal cuz like, brown people do bad stuff sometimes ya know.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

bag em and tag em posted:

no, we're just not so loving moronic that we think the white man's actions aren't a big deal cuz like, brown people do bad stuff sometimes ya know.

They were all doing the same thing to each other. And we look back and say that it was wrong to do so, so we're learning how to be better

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Just like it's moronic to blame all black people for violence because they are arrested and incarcerate more for violent crime, it's moronic to blame all white people for the actions of what some do, unless you are the type of person who like to group people together and hold the many responsible for the actions of the few. I think there is a word for that, starts with racist.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Just like it's moronic to blame all black people for violence because they are arrested and incarcerate more for violent crime, it's moronic to blame all white people for the actions of what some do, unless you are the type of person who like to group people together and hold the many responsible for the actions of the few. I think there is a word for that, starts with racist.

Spunky is trying to brush aside killing off native americans as an accident, and when it was pointed out that he was a very stupid person he backpedalled to "well both sides were bad actually."

also, you are not addressing anything related to my point in any way.
you're trying to come in with a "the real racist....is you" but you're doing a bad job.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I don't think genocide is some how endemic to the white experience, as I haven't killed off an entire group of people, or even one person (yet), but the mix of technology and ideology pretty much lead to European settlers committing genocide, in bizarro world yes, any other ethnic group could have potentially done it, but they didn't.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I don't think genocide is some how endemic to the white experience, as I haven't killed off an entire group of people, or even one person (yet), but the mix of technology and ideology pretty much lead to European settlers committing genocide, in bizarro world yes, any other ethnic group could have potentially done it, but they didn't.

quote:

Ben Kiernan has labelled the destruction of Carthage at the end of the Third Punic War (149–146 BCE) "The First Genocide".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

They were all doing the same thing to each other. And we look back and say that it was wrong to do so, so we're learning how to be better

Well, some of us are. Youre taking notes on how to better subjugate non-whites if you ever get the chance.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Spunky is trying to brush aside killing off native americans as an accident, and when it was pointed out that he was a very stupid person he backpedalled to "well both sides were bad actually."

also, you are not addressing anything related to my point in any way.
you're trying to come in with a "the real racist....is you" but you're doing a bad job.

Instead of using phrases like "the white man's actions" perhaps you should use less racist language then? I think there is browser plug in that changes "white man" to "black woman". You should install that to see how stupid inflammitory and racist it sounds when you use those kind of broad, generalizing terms when speaking of any large group of people.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Also, do you know of this group called the Mongols.

Holy poo poo, you guys think history started in 1706 or something lmao

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

White imperialists

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Also, do you know of this group called the Mongols.

Holy poo poo, you guys think history started in 1706 or something lmao

Mongols conquered and even if they wrote about killing all their enemies, which ethnic groups did they almost successfully wipe off the planet?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Instead of using phrases like "the white man's actions" perhaps you should use less racist language then? I think there is browser plug in that changes "white man" to "black woman". You should install that to see how stupid and racist it sounds when you use those kind of broad, generalizing terms.

I was parroting Spunky's own words to mock him. gee willigers you seem to be flailing about randomly at me and not based on any understanding of the posts involved. I'm sure you can do better if you slow down a little and think though. I believe in you.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

This argument about who was worse hundreds of years ago is idiotic.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Mongols conquered and even if they wrote about killing all their enemies, which ethnic groups did they almost successfully wipe off the planet?

During the Mongol conquests of the 13th century, numerous cultures were annihilated, such as the Western Xia (Xi Xia) Empire of the Tangut people, which lasted until the Mongol conquest of Western Xia in 1227. If you're thinking, "Huh? Tanguts? Who are they?", you're not alone. The Tanguts are little known to anyone other than experts in the field precisely because of Genghis Khan's policy of calling for their complete eradication after they betrayed him in his campaigns against other Central Asians. Although Genghis Khan died during his war against the Tanguts, his victorious army made sure to destroy them as thoroughly as possible, killing every Tangut they saw and burning everything else to the ground. This is one of the most magnificent instances of an entire civilization --- its people, culture, history, records, literature, art, music, buildings, etc. --- being wiped off the face of the Earth. The only artifact that remained was a Buddhist monastery in the capital.

According to British historian John Man, "There is a case to be made that this was the first ever recorded example of attempted genocide. It was certainly very successful ethnocide."

The few Tanguts that survived either fled to Song China, Tibet, and even possibly India, or joined the Mongols armies, participating in the Mongol invasion of China. Eventually, they established small Tangut communities in the Chinese provinces of Anhui and Henan. They continued to preserve the Tangut language until these communities were finally assimilated in the 16th century.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mordor She Wrote posted:

mordor we're on the same side, but I gotta ask you not to stick your neck out for the golden horde. e: oh examples were provided, fun

somewhat relevant is that the mongols practiced biological warfare at least once, by launching the corpses of soldiers dead of the black plague over the walls of a city (someplace in crimea, apparently)

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

You can look this up yourself you know

quote:

Ancient sources described Genghis Khan's conquests as wholesale destruction on an unprecedented scale in certain geographical regions, causing great demographic changes in Asia. According to the works of the Iranian historian Rashid al-Din (1247–1318), the Mongols killed more than 700,000 people in Merv and more than a million in Nishapur. The total population of Persia may have dropped from 2,500,000 to 250,000 as a result of mass extermination and famine.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

, or joined the Mongols armies, participating in the Mongol invasion of China. Eventually, they established small Tangut communities in the Chinese provinces of Anhui and Henan. They continued to preserve the Tangut language until these communities were finally assimilated in the 16th century.

hmmm

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

If that is what you got out of that whole post, I dunno what to tell ya man :) You just want to pick the one sentence that semi makes you feel less incorrect, but I understand.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's always funny watching spunky quoting things contradicting his opinions.

Like he just quickly Googles something to keep trolling without realizing it makes him look like a 12 years old who keeps pretending he totally knows what he's talking about

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

mordor we're on the same side, but I gotta ask you not to stick your neck out for the golden horde. e: oh examples were provided, fun

somewhat relevant is that the mongols practiced biological warfare at least once, by launching the corpses of soldiers dead of the black plague over the walls of a city (someplace in crimea, apparently)

Not saying the Golden Horde is good, relative to its time it was like 9000 Mega Hitlers voltron'd together but they weren't practicing systemic racial genocide.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordor She Wrote posted:

They were systematically wiped out. That doesn't mean none existed anywhere, forever.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love how this thread exists in a parallel universe in tandem to reality

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Watching posters ITT suddenly realize that human history consists of little more than one group of people doing horrible things to another group is hilarious to watch.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Not saying the Golden Horde is good, relative to its time it was like 9000 Mega Hitlers voltron'd together but they weren't practicing systemic racial genocide.

What the hell are you even saying "Genghis Khan brutally exterminated 5% of the world population, but it wasn't as bad as..."

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

a bone to pick posted:

I love how this thread exists in a parallel universe in tandem to reality

This is also how I feel about President Donald Trump

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Oh boy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

What the hell are you even saying "Genghis Khan brutally exterminated 5% of the world population, but it wasn't as bad as..."

The gas chambers

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Khan did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Kill the rich

Feed the hungry