Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WHERE'S MY SWITCH VERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:sbahj: Please let the PC port have parity with the consoles :pray:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takoluka posted:

it would be nothing but an endless chain of 1v1s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Open world sounds cool as hell, guess I'm buying another DW game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Takoluka posted:

Taintrunner posted:

it would be nothing but an endless chain of 1v1s

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jack Trades posted:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
English VA is confirmed!

I loved the dumbass english voice acting in DW8 it was so perfect in the dumbass game that is DW.
That was a huge thing that was missing for me in DW8E.

Sounds like they replaced Douglas Rye as the voice of Cao Cao, though. :sigh:

Actually, I did a search on IMDB, and it looks like there's a credits page showing some of the VAs (though it may not be authentic): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7447126/

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
As long as Jameson Price is still Lu Bu, it's all good.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Max Wilco posted:

Sounds like they replaced Douglas Rye as the voice of Cao Cao, though. :sigh:

Actually, I did a search on IMDB, and it looks like there's a credits page showing some of the VAs (though it may not be authentic): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7447126/

It looks like they switched to an entirely different studio, because I don't recognize any of those names. I have a feeling the English voice acting is going to be really bad, or at least hard to listen to with all the voices having changed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That deer hunting better not be in service of making pouches larger...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Collect-o-thon bullshit is probably going to be lovely, as it was in Spirit of Sanada too. Frankly all the grind bullshit that ends up in these games are poo poo (weapons, bodyguards, etc). Wish they went back to static weapon upgrades. Well that's what cheat engine is for.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 16, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm a little disappointing that you shoot that deer once to get a deer skin or whatever and not juggle 500 deer at once instead.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Honestly I'm looking forward to the inevitable DW9 Empires.

Because that's gonna be real cool with all these new systems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Airspace posted:

Honestly I'm looking forward to the inevitable DW9 Empires.

Because that's gonna be real cool with all these new systems.

Hell yeah.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm a little disappointing that you shoot that deer once to get a deer skin or whatever and not juggle 500 deer at once instead.

Oh my god, why couldn't they have done it like that instead?

And then after killing 500 of them you still only get about 3 deer butts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lurksion posted:

Collect-o-thon bullshit is probably going to be lovely, as it was in Spirit of Sanada too. Frankly all the grind bullshit that ends up in these games are poo poo (weapons, bodyguards, etc). Wish they went back to static weapon upgrades. Well that's what cheat engine is for.

Yeah, the only upgrades that I actually care about in DW games were the special conditions you had to pull off to get the top-tier weapon for each character. Which were cool and memorable and involved zero RNG bullshit.

God damnit game developers stop being lazy, RNG is a crutch.

Jack Trades posted:

This would be legit.

I'm imagining like Oregon Trail only you're running around with a giant axe and your'e juggling 100 buffalo in the air

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Give me a Romance of the Three Kingdoms officer game with this engine.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ooo the promise of the greatest curse of open world games, coming to the DW franchise! Having to traverse massive, feature-deficient distances to get anything done! Sometimes on foot for the extra ennui!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I remember reading that Chinese VA was going to be in DW9, did that turn out accurate because that's the only VA language I want.

5er posted:

Ooo the promise of the greatest curse of open world games, coming to the DW franchise! Having to traverse massive, feature-deficient distances to get anything done! Sometimes on foot for the extra ennui!

You can fast travel to a ton of different forts and outposts and such.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
On the wiki, the picture of Zuo Ci is apparently a DW9 promo with him holding some kind of staff.

What, am I expected to believe he’ll hit people with a stick over using a deck of cards to slap the poo poo out of Cao Cao whilst firing laser beams out his rear end? Sad times.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Whether this turns out good or bad, I'm just thrilled that they're innovating again. Trying out new things means more variety to the old series. Best way to learn cool new poo poo is to give it a shot.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Wamdoodle posted:

:same:

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
On the subject of pc ports - I have moved overseas and had to leave behind my PS4 for potentially a long rear end time. Are any of the musou games at parity between PC and current gen consoles? I realise this is pretty unlikely though.

I do have a switch so I could pick up FE:W or wait for the Hyrule port, I just wanted to know what my options are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DQH2, Spirit of Sanada and All-Stars are fine on PC.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

lol that English voicework sounds like loving garbage :laugh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chachi posted:

Good?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

I don't know if you noticed but the 7th and 8th iterations had, overall, pretty good voicework. The dialogue may have been less than stellar in places, but at least Cao Cao didn't sound like he was trying to squeeze out an ornery deuce.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chachi posted:

Have you not played a proper DW game before? Or you have and just making sure all is right in the world?

EDIT: Okay, I watched that video and it only has that one part in English. Even with a different Cao Cao, which is a loss, it still sounds like DW should: Cheesy as hell.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 17, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So there are 90 playable characters now.
Are there any officers left to be left out?
The answer is yes.
Zhuge Jin (come on even Zhuge Dan is in).

Well Man Chong's style name is 'Boning' so he has that going for him at least.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Unlucky7 posted:

Have you not played a proper DW game before? Or you have and just making sure all is right in the world?

EDIT: Okay, I watched that video and it only has that one part in English. Even with a different Cao Cao, which is a loss, it still sounds like DW should: Cheesy as hell.

I noticed that too. The latter half still has all the audio and text in Japanese. It makes me wonder if maybe the English VA in the trailer is just a placeholder.

But yeah, even in the later DW games, the voice-acting (while leagues better than the hilarity of DW3) is little iffy at times. It depends on the character, though.

For example, Ling Tong's voice actor in DW8 is...weird. He's not really bad, per se, but it sounds like someone who's trying to hide an accent when he speaks.

8XL changed the VA for Zhang Liao (I think it's because 8XL expands on the Lu Bu campaign, and Roger Craig Smith wasn't available to record new lines), and Joshua Tomar voice doesn't seem suited to him. Tomar doesn't seem like a bad VA, and since 8XL was the game I started with, that's the voice I now associate with Zhang Liao (honestly, I sort of like it, cause it has a nerdy "I'LL HARM YOU! NGGGggghh..." tone to it, which I find amusing :allears:)

The worst to me is Jiang Wei, because it sounds like the actor was directed to deliver every line like he's trying to talk while simultaneously trying pulling a thorn that they stepped on.

Other than that, the voice acting tends to be pretty good, or at least serviceable. I think a lot of the VAs are people known for doing a lot of voice work in animation (Laura Bailey, Kyle Hebert, Wendee Lee, Richard Epcar).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The voices sound good. I hope the buttock soundtrack is still in place.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You know what I hope you'll be able to do since this is open world is charge straight into the capital and get your rear end beat. But no idea how the open world battles actually work / how time passes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lurksion posted:

You know what I hope you'll be able to do since this is open world is charge straight into the capital and get your rear end beat. But no idea how the open world battles actually work / how time passes.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the trailers explicitly say that you can just charge to your main mission without any preparation and get your rear end beat.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the trailers explicitly say that you can just charge to your main mission without any preparation and get your rear end beat.
No, not talking about the mission battles. Basically the question is how is the open world set up outside of the story missions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lurksion posted:

No, not talking about the mission battles. Basically the question is how is the open world set up outside of the story missions.
That's exactly what was talking about.

You always have one Main Mission that will progress the story and if you want you can just go to where the current Main Mission takes place and do it, which will probably result in you getting wrecked.
OR you can do Side Mission things first that will give you easier time in the Main Mission. You can for example take over one of the outposts that block the way to the city where the Main Mission takes place and that will result in you getting reinforcements from there that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise or do something to recruit an officer that will help you out during your Main Mission.

That's my understand of how open world in DW9 works at least, based on a bunch of videos that I've seen.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
And we're back to each character having their own story, like the earlier games. So that's neat. No more being forced to play a specific officer (even if that was neat, too.). DW7 will probably still be the best game to play for the actual story, then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PureRok posted:

And we're back to each character having their own story, like the earlier games. So that's neat.

That's neat but imagine how long it'll take to 100% the game considering that you'll have to play a full campaign with each of 90 (or whatever it is) available characters.
I don't envy the fool that decides to do it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I want the gathering to work exactly the same as the rest of the game: Hooking and catching just dozens of fish at a time with intense combo action.

But for real this seems cool as poo poo. Hope it doesn't turn into a huge disaster!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

That's exactly what was talking about.
That's exactly what I'm not talking about.

Say the current story mission is on Chibi. How is the world map outside of Chibi set up? Are there dudes around for you to murder / murder you? Or is it all empty and just filled with open world collectothon crap? In other words, can I say gently caress Chibi and just go to Xucheng and get my rear end blasted? Or is Xucheng empty and just open world gently caress around territory?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lurksion posted:

Say the current story mission is on Chibi. How is the world map outside of Chibi set up? Are there dudes around for you to murder / murder you? Or is it all empty and just filled with open world collectothon crap? In other words, can I say gently caress Chibi and just go to Xucheng and get my rear end blasted? Or is Xucheng empty and just open world gently caress around territory?

I see.

I know that there's a certain "state" the map is in during every "phase" and you can freely gently caress around with it, including attacking random strongholds that aren't related to your main mission but I dunno how they handle you messing around with big parts of the map that are completely unrelated.

If I had to guess then they'd let you capture enemy cities that are totally unrelated to your current mission but you'll still have to do your main missions in order and once you progress whatever you did will just get overwritten by the next map "state".