Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

...is there a bug with air starts, where you go to refuel and they never make contact? I swear I was right in the middle of the lights for at least a few seconds. Long enough that in my ground start mission they would have made contact? :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bondematt posted:

The F5 is a blast to land on short fields, cause you get decent speed brakes and a cute lil' chute.

It has a tail hook so you can even land it on a carrier if you're very careful. (The gear can't take the forces of a standard carrier landing so you have to touch down much more delicately and precisely, but it works).

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Refueling from a big fat jet aircraft is a waste.

Refueling from a big fat prop c-130 is based.

This post brought to you by the haters of jetwash gang.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

It never occurred to me that speedbrakes on landing isn't universal, but then I only fly one jet :v:
It is very much on a case-by-case basis: for example, you need the speedbrakes deployed on the F-14 (along with the DLC spoilers), you don't want them open on the Hornet (and they'll close automatically if you open them), and you want them on the F-16 (they even have a dedicated landing setting) but aren't strictly required.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HOLY poo poo FOLKS THE TANKER MAN SAID "TRANSFER COMPLETE" AND I HAD 12,000LBS FUEL ABOARD. I STARTED WITH 8,000

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hyperlynx posted:

HOLY poo poo FOLKS THE TANKER MAN SAID "TRANSFER COMPLETE" AND I HAD 12,000LBS FUEL ABOARD. I STARTED WITH 8,000

See, this would all be unnecessary if you learned how to land at a road base. Quicker too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hyperlynx posted:

:toot:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

See, this would all be unnecessary if you learned how to land at a road base. Quicker too

It's an F-16. A road environment would send it to the boneyard.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I guess as long as some of the fuel tanks survive the crash I could have them filled up faster? :D

As it happens, the refuel rate is really quick. Surprisingly quick. It only took a few seconds, it felt like maybe 10-20 in total, across all the disconnects and retries.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:sweden:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It's an F-16. A road environment would send it to the boneyard.

I know it is. I'm very kindly suggesting it is perhaps somewhat badly built.

:smuggo:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 13, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I know it is. I'm very kindly suggesting it is perhaps somewhat badly built.

:smuggo:

Yeah, it's a bit of a precious princess. I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgF4XjcVww

(Actually, can a Hornet do a road landing?...)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes, Finnish Air Force operates from road bases about every year during exercises. Last year's Baana 23 exercise also included F-35s and Eurofighters.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a precious princess. I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgF4XjcVww

No, but as your video shows, it can handle a crash really well

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do you properly execute a short skate?

From what I've been hearing, it's that once you reach the specified distance from the threat you launch your missile and then immediately perform an out (a full AB max performance turn to directly away from the threat). But in that case you'll break your lock on the target before your missile goes active.

Same question for skate, and long skate. Do you ever crank when doing a <whatever> skate?

Related question: in my testing against a Su-27 at 20,000ft, the number on my HUD for what distance I'll be from the enemy when my missile goes active if I were to fire now is always 14nm, even when I'm going Mach 1.5. That's within the (Falcon BMS) documented minimum abort range of 15. So I'd never be able to launch on the enemy and have the missile go active before I have to go out. Is that expected?

It seems to me that the best I can reasonably expect, given a MAR of 15nm, is to convince the enemy to go away rather than kill them. A kill would simply be a bonus.

Finally: if you're doing a skate or long skate, how do you know when to turn back in? You turn out to defeat any missile the threat may have fired at you, right? So how do you know when that's happened, and it's time to go in again?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hyperlynx posted:

From what I've been hearing, it's that once you reach the specified distance from the threat you launch your missile and then immediately perform an out (a full AB max performance turn to directly away from the threat). But in that case you'll break your lock on the target before your missile goes active.

Most missiles classified as fox3 will assume the last target track is good (I e. The target isn't maneuvering), and it will go active and track the first thing it sees.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Hyperlynx posted:

Shoot early enough so that with a crank, your missile is active before the abort range.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Shoot early enough so that with a crank, your missile is active before the abort range.

How do I tell when that is? When I tried, I only ever got a "you will be this far away at pitbull" indicator when that number was already within MAR.

Though on reflection I think the enemy might have been using ECM and it only broke though that when they were already too close...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phantom rules, drat

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Phantom rules, drat

It’s so good

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread. I'll probably get it now.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dandywalken posted:

Phantom rules, drat

I mean, it's like the Tomcat module, only more so. Worth the wait and then some

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Carth Dookie posted:

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread. I'll probably get it now.

There’s still some small bugs, but it is really neat to fly. Multicrew seems to be a frame killer at the moment though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Snapshot posted:

There’s still some small bugs, but it is really neat to fly. Multicrew seems to be a frame killer at the moment though.

jokes on you I don't have any friends. :smuggo:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Carth Dookie posted:

jokes on you I don't have any friends. :smuggo:

You have a discord server full of friends, goon

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xakura posted:

You have a discord server full of friends, goon

Let's not be too hasty

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

He has a discord server full of goons, friend.

That close… ish… esque.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The F-4 is really good. I know this is going to bite me but it feels very easy to learn and intuitive. No I don't know what the back seat looks like yet, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

For actual flying, it handles pretty much exactly as youd expect. Its very fast when not bombed up, but fuel inefficient. Its very much a "plane of its time" but as long as you arent going to fight Fulcrums and Flankers you should be pretty capable.

Mavericks on it are totally unstabilized though, but good pilot/WSO coordination helps a ton there.