Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

packetmantis posted:

That wasn't a "is this Mortal Kombat we're talking about," that was a "who the gently caress put long unskippable cutscenes in a Mortal Kombat game and why do they still have their job?" It's such a bizarre decision. (Unrelated but hilarious: apparently it's pronounced as the letter, not the Roman numeral??????)

Well, it's not the 10th Mortal Kombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ramos posted:

So is there any reason why one would enjoy this game?

When you fight a hydra and you're dodging heads before shooting fire and cutting them off to keep the heat away from your sorcerer pawn before they call down literal meteors that reduce it to a pile of bleeding snake necks, it feels metal as hell.

It's an incredibly good action game that does everything in its power to sabotage that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Digirat posted:

When you fight a hydra and you're dodging heads before shooting fire and cutting them off to keep the heat away from your sorcerer pawn before they call down literal meteors that reduce it to a pile of bleeding snake necks, it feels metal as hell.

It's an incredibly good action game that does everything in its power to sabotage that.

Also some of the best random wandering encounter fights I've seen at the low levels. Bandits will gently caress your poo poo up until you start to identify the real threats vs the fillers. And you can train your personal slave friend to run around in combat grabbing hold of the heavies and opening them up for you to whale on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChogsEnhour posted:

If that's the mission I think then it requires you go through an area of really high level bandits too, so if you do it on your first run you're bound to die.

Luckily (I think) it's a game where you re-play on new game plus over and over so there's always next time. I'm not sure though i stopped playing because X-Com 2 came out. Sorry DD.

Yeah, you have to walk up through a mountain pass with a bunch of wolves, then a ton of high level bandits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing through Until Dawn and I'm not too fond of the Wendigo reveal. It's just, how long have they been going to the mountain and this is the first time this stuff has come up?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Playing through Until Dawn and I'm not too fond of the Wendigo reveal. It's just, how long have they been going to the mountain and this is the first time this stuff has come up?

The game is literally every teen horror movie trope put into one glorious game, you might be overthinking things.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also because this is the first time in a long time some dumbass teens went running out into the winter night. Stay in warm, well lit areas and you're good to go.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ramos posted:

Also because this is the first time in a long time some dumbass teens went running out into the winter night. Stay in warm, well lit areas and you're good to go.

Arguably it's also because the other wendigos were chilling in the asylum until the sisters fell off a cliff and everything started going to poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd say more but I'm not sure how far you've made it exactly so I don't wanna ruin it any more than you can ruin a video game's story.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

That's basically how I feel about it a few hours in now. There's a lot of really good ideas, like the pseudo Colossus mechanics and meteors everywhere, but then the main quest sort of wanders in all apologetic and half assed. Or suddenly 50 wolves come out of nowhere and decide they want to eat your pawns face off and stunlock him to death. The fact there's no actual dodging makes the combat feel really clunky too. You just sort of run around in circles and hope your camera will dislodge itself out of your rear end or the wall so you don't fall off a cliff.

Like the quest to find the one girl from your village but they don't tell you how to get there and if you do the next story bit they tell you you've failed that quest.

That one was just weird. You find your childhood friend cracked out on Xanax out in the forest so you take her to the witch's house where you find out the witch died and it's just her granddaughter there. So the two of them have this bizarre conversation where they're both just sort of staring at each other for a few minutes and maybe saying 4 lines of dialogue which amounts to "gently caress off." The girl then walks outside, jumps off the loving platform and tears rear end like Usain Bolt doing the 100m dash out of the forest home. I'd swear this was some sort of experimental indie game if it hadn't been made by capcom.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's basically how I feel about it a few hours in now. There's a lot of really good ideas, like the pseudo Colossus mechanics and meteors everywhere, but then the main quest sort of wanders in all apologetic and half assed. Or suddenly 50 wolves come out of nowhere and decide they want to eat your pawns face off and stunlock him to death. The fact there's no actual dodging makes the combat feel really clunky too. You just sort of run around in circles and hope your camera will dislodge itself out of your rear end or the wall so you don't fall off a cliff.

I think either strider or assassin can get a dodge move, tied to daggers. I never got much use out of it, but I don't know if its because it sucked or because I was used to running and jumping around like an idiot to dodge instead.

Have you gotten to the part with the duke? That's amazing. You infiltrate the castle to go talk to the duchess, then he comes up and starts beating her or something. You can intervene to save her, which gets you thrown into the dungeon. Sneak out of the dungeon and you can waltz right back into he castle like nothing ever happened. Talk to the duke, he don't care.

There's a sidequest that can give you the only gold idol you can get in a run, which you give to a shopkeeper to unlock new stock and drop prices a bit. The sidequest is pretty much pure tedium, featuring a game of hide and seek and a race you have to lose, but not by too much.

It's the best worst game :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I choose to look at Dragon's Dogma as a bit like a proof-of-concept display model. It's full of awesome poo poo that can be done, and stuff that can really be used in actual games, but it's not really built to be usable as a product by itself.

I couldn't keep playing it, but I could never bring it up in this thread because it doesn't really have anything 'dragging the game down' so much. It's full of great ideas that could work really well in service to something greater, but no part of the game stands out enough to be a reason you'd play it. People don't like when I compare it to Dark Souls, but that does have a similar thing going on and handles it well; most of Dark Souls is good without being a standout, but it all works in service to the game's approach to difficulty and integration of multiplayer, which are standouts.

If you gave Dragon's Dogma a really compelling story or setting, it would be great. If you adapted things it did into another game, they could well be very welcome (indeed, I'm sure Monster Hunter took cues from it). But Dragon's Dogma as it exists is nothing but a bunch of great supporting features waiting for a driving focus that isn't there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dragon's Dogma plot gets pretty out there near the end and past the final boss. Well worth checking out. Same with the Bitterblack Isle content.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you don't play through to the postgame in dragon's dogma you won't see why a lot of people are completely willing to forgive the hundreds of things it does very wrong. It takes ages to play to its strengths but when it finally does, it's worth the investment. Although I can't fault anyone for not wanting to bother getting there, considering what the first third of the game is like.

The four classes with daggers can dodge and three classes can use shields. Warrior also has exodus slash which is no replacement for a dodge or shield, but it is a way to prevent damage. So the classes you're most likely to be playing all give you a good defensive move. It is definitely still clunky if you're trying to play a mage or sorcerer yourself, god help you.

Cleretic posted:

I choose to look at Dragon's Dogma as a bit like a proof-of-concept display model. It's full of awesome poo poo that can be done, and stuff that can really be used in actual games, but it's not really built to be usable as a product by itself.

I couldn't keep playing it, but I could never bring it up in this thread because it doesn't really have anything 'dragging the game down' so much. It's full of great ideas that could work really well in service to something greater, but no part of the game stands out enough to be a reason you'd play it. People don't like when I compare it to Dark Souls, but that does have a similar thing going on and handles it well; most of Dark Souls is good without being a standout, but it all works in service to the game's approach to difficulty and integration of multiplayer, which are standouts.

If you gave Dragon's Dogma a really compelling story or setting, it would be great. If you adapted things it did into another game, they could well be very welcome (indeed, I'm sure Monster Hunter took cues from it). But Dragon's Dogma as it exists is nothing but a bunch of great supporting features waiting for a driving focus that isn't there.

This is a really weird read considering most of its flaws are extremely bad while its strengths are extremely good. There's very little in between about it--It's a fabulous action game that gets crippled by nearly everything else about it. I'm also not sure where you're getting the idea that monster hunter took cues from DD, when monster hunter has been around for a lot longer and shows more evidence of influencing DD than the other way around.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

tbh I'll take something that has great gameplay but not much story going on over the many games these days that go the opposite direction.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Aphrodite posted:

Well, it's not the 10th Mortal Kombat.

And Windows 10 isn't the 10th Windows OS. At least MK has having the previous game being called "Mortal Kombat 9" going for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

2house2fly posted:

tbh I'll take something that has great gameplay but not much story going on over the many games these days that go the opposite direction.

Well boy aren't you in luck!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When it comes to story in dragma it feels like a lot of stuff is barely explained or dropped completely. I originally had a huge list of things but that was a bit too :spergin: so I'll just mention what I feel was the biggest thing: Selene's story is optional yet has a huge impact on Pawns and the end of the game. But its one sidequest and is discussed in less then 10 sentences about pawns becoming human :geno:

E: Eh, hell here is a second one: Mason. That dude reeks of cut content.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stupidest thing about Dogma is the affection system, there's certain NPCs you can do quests for and for some reason it maxes out the affection on some and that person winds up being your TRUE LOVE.

The choices you can wind up it are something else and only 2 make any sense. :psyduck:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Alteisen posted:

Stupidest thing about Dogma is the affection system, there's certain NPCs you can do quests for and for some reason it maxes out the affection on some and that person winds up being your TRUE LOVE.

The choices you can wind up it are something else and only 2 make any sense. :psyduck:

This is especially bad when you accidentally end up having a ~15 year old girl as your true love because she's got a quest chain.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

If you don't play through to the postgame in dragon's dogma you won't see why a lot of people are completely willing to forgive the hundreds of things it does very wrong. It takes ages to play to its strengths but when it finally does, it's worth the investment. Although I can't fault anyone for not wanting to bother getting there, considering what the first third of the game is like.

"The game isn't really that bad! You just have to play through 40 hours of lovely content and then replay the entire game again with a different difficulty setting or bonus material that isn't tied to the main game for it to be good!"

Not picking on you but I hate this about internet reviews and recommendations for games. Expecting someone to play through dozens of hours of pure schlock and poo poo just to get to the "good part" means it's a lovely game.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Feb 16, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gitro posted:

I think either strider or assassin can get a dodge move, tied to daggers. I never got much use out of it, but I don't know if its because it sucked or because I was used to running and jumping around like an idiot to dodge instead.

Have you gotten to the part with the duke? That's amazing. You infiltrate the castle to go talk to the duchess, then he comes up and starts beating her or something. You can intervene to save her, which gets you thrown into the dungeon. Sneak out of the dungeon and you can waltz right back into he castle like nothing ever happened. Talk to the duke, he don't care.

There's a sidequest that can give you the only gold idol you can get in a run, which you give to a shopkeeper to unlock new stock and drop prices a bit. The sidequest is pretty much pure tedium, featuring a game of hide and seek and a race you have to lose, but not by too much.

It's the best worst game :shrug:

I hated that loving quest, I bumped into her by accident, got arrested, quest failed, gently caress you.

Also that labyrinth thing from the expansion sucks. First run is fine, it's new, you don't exactly know what's coming, enemies will gently caress up your poo poo not just because they're HP sponges. The second run is pure tedium though. Enemies just have tons of HP, you know enough to pretty much avoid most of the unexpected poo poo from traps and found a few ledges you can stand on and shoot fuckers from without actually getting hit, it just takes forever. Also did you think you'd just fight one HP sponge boss monster at a time? gently caress you, here's two more that will spawn in and that's every room. Also they're all cramped and your pawns won't get out of the way on their own so they're down all the time and then when you get to the end boss he does that gently caress you vortex that sucks you in and kills you right away and the only way to avoid it is if you fight on one side of the room and immediately hoof it if you even thin he's gonna start with that. You'll probably still lose your pawns to it because they're stupid.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Feb 16, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

"The game isn't really that bad! You just have to play through 40 hours of lovely content and then replay the entire game again with a different difficulty setting or bonus material that isn't tied to the main game for it to be goo!"

Not picking on you but I hate this about internet reviews and recommendations for games. Expecting someone to play through dozens of hours of pure schlock and poo poo just to get to the "good part" means it's a lovely game.

People saying this about Dragon's Dogma are usually talking about the story, the meat of the game is the combat and that's good for the majority of the play time.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Morglon posted:

I hated that loving quest, I bumped into her by accident, got arrested, quest failed, gently caress you.

Well then you can make use of the fantastic checkpoint system and complete lack of separate saves to go back to whenever the last time you slept at an inn was! Unless quests failing auto-checkpoint.

I lost an hour or two of game time once because I didn't know how the checkpoints worked and I tried to escort the male travelling merchant out to the greatwall the moment I hit the city. He kept dying once I got past the misandrist bandits and I didn't know there's barely any consequences to NPCs dying on those quests, so goodbye 5-10 levels and a chunk of items. Had a blast getting there, though.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gitro posted:

Had a blast getting there, though.

Yeah, as long as I turn off my brain to the point I only drool a little while holding a controller it's pretty good. I took up this quest to investigate a cult because it sounded cool. Head out in the dead of night, necromancers and skeletons are coming to gently caress up my poo poo before I can get there. That's pretty awesome! I get to the meeting place (a crypt) and go down, more undead, still pretty cool. Get down to the lowest level...a loving cyclops appears. What? Then I remember that people are supposed to be able to get down there to listen to some guy evangelizing about necromancer bullshit. I'm pretty sure they'd all be dead before they even got there, unless all the people on the roads were there to guide them and magically knew I was coming to kick their asses.

I bet the boss fight is going to be another giant cyclops thing that I hang off of and stab at while eat mushrooms because WHY NOT.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I believe it auto saves when you get arrested because it's a loading screen but it's not a hard save like an inn. I wouldn't have done it again either way because it's still super annoying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlueKingBar posted:

And Windows 10 isn't the 10th Windows OS. At least MK has having the previous game being called "Mortal Kombat 9" going for it.

No it doesn't. The main series goes Mortal Kombat, MK II, MK3, MK4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, MKX, making X the 9th game. If you include MK vs. DC then Mortal Kombat (2011) is the 9th game but it's not called Mortal Kombat 9, and MK vs. DC isn't part of the proper Mortal Kombat series anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tiggum posted:

No it doesn't. The main series goes Mortal Kombat, MK II, MK3, MK4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, MKX, making X the 9th game. If you include MK vs. DC then Mortal Kombat (2011) is the 9th game but it's not called Mortal Kombat 9, and MK vs. DC isn't part of the proper Mortal Kombat series anyway.

Mythologies or Special Forces, then? If so, gross.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't really get Dragon's Dogma. I only put a few hours into it but it feels clunky at best. I have like no money to buy any equipment so hey lets do some quests. I go back to the first town after cutting off a single hydra head and failing to find any of the flowers a kindly lady asked me to find. Go down into a well and get my rear end kicked by water monsters. Go into a cave and get my rear end kicked by bandits. Go up a path and get my rear end kicked by other bandits.

Go down a big spiral staircase under a big town. There's a monster here who I guess gets excited about women. My pawn is a woman. Now what do I do. I can't just leave and come back that would be boring as poo poo so I just fight it until it falls off the stairs and dies. Keep going, unleash some evil tentacles. Pawns yell at me to run but they instead just stand there and die to the tentacles over and over, then I die trying to revive them.

I don't get it. Also as far as I understand only one class can two hand weapons and I'm told it's poo poo so

EDIT: and I guess there's like NO background music while exploring which is just baffling to me???

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I played most of dragon's dogma when it was a year old on ps3 and it absolutely baffles me that everyone and their mom went ape poo poo over its PC release. It wasn't memorable at all? I am really having a hard time remembering anything about it. But I go ask for help beating the bloodborne bosses in the DLC a month after release and nope. Everyone's playing dragon's dogma. poo poo isn't even multiplayer.

Got extreme sour grapes over other people enjoying dragon's dogma.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ro5s posted:

This is especially bad when you accidentally end up having a ~15 year old girl as your true love because she's got a quest chain.

I ended up marrying the " mustards warts all camp go wrong" shop keeper because apparently everytime you buy something his affection meter goes up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I tried getting into Dragma on the 360 and I bounced of it, but I've been sorely tempted to pick up the PC version now that it's out, because I could see the gem of something great in there, I just couldn't quite get at it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dragon's Dogma sounds like how I feel about RE6 sometimes. When it's great it's fantastic, it's just a shame about literally everything else in the game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
DD felt like a shallow knock off of Dark Souls when I tried the demo, then the demo clicked and I hosed up some monsters real bad and it was awesome, then I got it free on PS+ and it hasn't managed to hook me again even a little bit. I swear I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

All of this explains a lot since the one time I played it, I was a sorcerer or whatever the magic class was. Gameplay was all around rear end as a result.

Still, if you guys are into fighting giant monsters in a team, you should probably looking into Monster Hunter and similar games. Monster Hunter is a bit on the slow, methodical side for combat, but many of its knock offs do jump up the pacing quite a bit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of the worst things DD does is that your pawn will learn from your habits, this is bad if you're a melee class because my style of combat with my dual dagger/longbow arisen was to jump on enemies a lot and cut em up, so then my mage pawn would start jumping on enemies instead of casting spells.

It was really annoying, also the inclination system is absolutely terrible and not explained well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I ended up marrying the " mustards warts all camp go wrong" shop keeper because apparently everytime you buy something his affection meter goes up.

IIRC the way it worked was off of how much you talked to a person so yeah, characters with a lot of quests or shopkeepers ended up being a lot of people's "true love."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

IIRC the way it worked was off of how much you talked to a person so yeah, characters with a lot of quests or shopkeepers ended up being a lot of people's "true love."

I haven't even played the game and I've heard about that one.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Feb 16, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Baldur's Gate II requires a minimum Charisma of 17 for newly created paladins. What the gently caress man, I'm not Ricardo Montalban advertising cars with RRRRICH CORRRINTHIAN LEATHER, I'm battling evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_HMIN0nGl0
This guy would probably not last ten seconds in a battle against the hordes of the undead, no matter how high his CHR is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Baldur's Gate II requires a minimum Charisma of 17 for newly created paladins. What the gently caress man, I'm not Ricardo Montalban advertising cars with RRRRICH CORRRINTHIAN LEATHER, I'm battling evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_HMIN0nGl0
This guy would probably not last ten seconds in a battle against the hordes of the undead, no matter how high his CHR is.

I don't know why you're taking shots at Ricardo Montalban, he has a genetically superior intellect too.