Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Work e-mail I try to read everything. Personal e-mail is a loving mess outside of the main Inbox in Gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I read all my work mail, but admittedly I get fair less than most of you due to having a dispatcher in the company receiving tickets and sending them out.

Personal email is a hell. I don't do anything do it and just check it every couple days unless I'm waiting for something.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

yeah my personal email is a shitbox, I have a specific other email I setup for my resume, but my gmail account is a blackhole and I don't think there's anyway to recover from it. I have important stuff ruled into a few different folders (plane tickets, concert tickets, poo poo like that), otherwise the inbox is a cesspool of management failure.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I have 3254 unread messages in my inbox.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I use Inbox for Gmail. Pin things I want to read, mark everything else done to sweep it away. Then read/respond to the few important things. I just wish inbox marked as read when it was sweeping.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just hit delete on anything that is automated or irrelevant. Things that might come in handy later goes into an archive folder, and anything I need to follow up on remains in the inbox until I've followed up on it, then it goes into the archive folder too.

At the moment I have three emails in my inbox.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Very interesting, thanks all for chiming in. This could almost be an interview question at this rate!
I often look at non-IT/management, and they have unread emails in the thousands... I bite my tongue, and shall continue to do so.

flosofl posted:

I was out last week due to an unexpected death (not mine)
:haw:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 3, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Any folder containing mail where I am a direct recipient or the sender is on a pertinent list (direct chain of authority, team member, contract staff), unread: 0.
Any folder containing mass bullshit e-mails that 400 other people got and I probably don't even have anything to do with, unread: 10k+.

Archive poo poo every 6 months. Delete never. gently caress whoever manages our PST storage.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
gmail autofilter for all alerts to mark as read and tag it 'alerts'

also mark all as read keyboard shortcut: SHIFT *i*n

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

adorai posted:

I have 3254 unread messages in my inbox.

I have 17405. Step it up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Archive poo poo every 6 months. Delete never. gently caress whoever manages our PST storage.
We have a group policy that completely disables creating or accessing PST files in Outlook. Everyone has 4GB of primary mailbox and 10GB of online archive, hard limits. If you hit that, tough poo poo, start deleting.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same, no PSTs for anyone - you can still access any you had before the policy went into effect, but otherwise tough poo poo. 2GB for peons, 4GB for managers, 6GB for directors, 10GB+online archiving for anyone higher than that. No exceptions to the rule, we verify your title with HR.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a group policy that completely disables creating or accessing PST files in Outlook. Everyone has 4GB of primary mailbox and 10GB of online archive, hard limits. If you hit that, tough poo poo, start deleting.

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE HELL THAT IS MY LIFE!

No online archive.

Unlimited PST files.

PST files saved to local disk and backed up nightly via dumbass ROBOCOPY.

If your laptop isn't powered on and connected to the network at 10pm TOUGH poo poo.

Took that poo poo home for telework and your VPN connection dropped at 8pm? TOUGH poo poo.

Absolutely no monitoring to determine if backups work.

If you have a non-standard image and your PST files aren't in the proper partition and folder TOUGH poo poo.

Want to know what retention policy is on e-mail? TOUGH poo poo. Nobody knows and everyone gives you a different answer that they "heard from a dude lol SarbanesOxley never delete nuffin' YOLO".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PS: I'm theoretically responsible for about 90 users and all their dumbass PST files but I can't even UNC their loving machines because lolpermissions and no we can't give you admin on those boxes go manage them with user level permissions IM GONNA GO DRINK NOW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I have 17405. Step it up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
After 60 days, email just silently gets purged. I didn't know and wasn't told this when is started. I got to discover it for myself! (it took me 6 months, right until i did a search trying to find an email I know existed at one time)

Now, I have a local archive file.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I had a job where corporate blocked PSTs but everyone at my branch including the CEO were like "gently caress corporate, get then back", so I removed our read permission from the GPO and corporate never caught on. I left years ago and my old boss says they still haven't noticed.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

82% off list on this quote; somebody wants to move some units.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My manager has an unruly inbox and it is a pet-peeve of mine when she replies to a message from the beginning of the chain instead of the end. It is not that hard to sort by subject and grab the most recent one to see where the conversation has gone.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Bhodi posted:

I found out my director reads no email at all when he gets back from vacation. Just marks it all read and moves on with his life, figuring anyone who really needs anything will just ask him for it again.

I think this is a good way to go about it otherwise you've wasted a day or two after returning to the office just checking up on email. Just include a line in your out-of-office to the effect of 'I am now on vacation and won't be responding to emails, if your message is important please contact [coworker not on vacation] or contact me when I return on [date]. Any emails received will not be read'. My directors get hundreds of emails in and it's frustrating when they get back from time off because they spend all day checking to see if any are important.

Is...is this a photograph of a computer screen?. This needs to be printed out first and scanned to a PDF before attaching to a post.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

tomapot posted:

My manager has an unruly inbox

:quagmire:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Any folder containing mass bullshit e-mails that 400 other people got and I probably don't even have anything to do with, unread: 10k+.

Users ignoring e-mails sent out to the whole company (like outage announcements, or announcements to change passwords) and users storing an unnecessary about of poo poo in the trash. Isn't this the exact sort of poo poo we bitch about when users do it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PCjr sidecar posted:

82% off list on this quote; somebody wants to move some units.

IT list prices are total bullshit though

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

1 gig mailbox, hard limit. No archiving, no psts. No exceptions, mandated by the CEO.

Owns.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use to get in this argument with an old boss of mine all the time. He had a million different things that sent email alerts. I would get on average 400 a day. So I just made a rule to move them to a folder and would use Outlooks search if I needed to find something. Then they got deleted after 2 weeks. He wanted me and the rest of my team to read them all, because "they are all important".

If everything is important than nothing is.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I just got laid off from a place that was like this. I got on average 200 alerts a day. Could easily triple that if they restarted/reloading something major. I just had them filter to folders and would only look every so often or if I suddenly got dozens at once. The rest of the team would watch every one on their phones. It was almost always just them being nosy. Nothing was ever done to address any of these emails. The best that happened was I could brace myself for the calls.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

IT list prices are total bullshit though

True; a quote with less than 50% off list is a polite way of telling you to gently caress off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a coworker who does that.. "I'll set up an email alert when this job runs so if it fails we'll notice that the email doesn't arrive." Uh, no. You're not going to notice one email not arriving in the flood of 50 others every day.

captkirk posted:

Users ignoring e-mails sent out to the whole company (like outage announcements, or announcements to change passwords) and users storing an unnecessary about of poo poo in the trash. Isn't this the exact sort of poo poo we bitch about when users do it?
Difference is we store trash in the trash, not information. Our corporate sends out tons of crap to all employees every week. "inspirational words from our CEO", whatever bullshit the sales team has come up with this month, reminders to send in time reports etc.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

On the notification front: what do you guys use? Right now we're using IP Sentry to ping certain IPs and send an email when they're down. We also have it sending as a text message if it's a high-importance outage. The annoying thing about that is, since it's just sending to [number]@mms.att.net, I end up with a seperate thread for each and every alert because the carrier treats messages coming through that address as a new sender each time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For SMS notifications we just have an old nokia phone with a prepaid sim with free texts connected via serial cable to our nagios server. A nagios script then calls gnokii which sends a text message from the phone. Cheap and simple, and works if the internet connection goes down as well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

For SMS notifications we just have an old nokia phone with a prepaid sim with free texts connected via serial cable to our nagios server. A nagios script then calls gnokii which sends a text message from the phone. Cheap and simple, and works if the internet connection goes down as well.
Yikes :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I think that's a hilarious/awesome solution.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CloFan posted:

On the notification front: what do you guys use? Right now we're using IP Sentry to ping certain IPs and send an email when they're down. We also have it sending as a text message if it's a high-importance outage. The annoying thing about that is, since it's just sending to [number]@mms.att.net, I end up with a seperate thread for each and every alert because the carrier treats messages coming through that address as a new sender each time.

Using Nagios and have been pleased with it once I got everything setup how I liked. No need for text message notifications so I havent messed with yet. I might start playing around with graphing and cool displays one day when I have time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ITAPPMONFONE

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PagerDuty.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Is...is this a photograph of a computer screen?. This needs to be printed out first and scanned to a PDF before attaching to a post.

Don't be an idiot, it's very difficult to get a screenshot off my work computer due to security measures.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 3, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, Pagerduty with a combination of New Relic and Nagios alerting.

My goal is to move alerts completely out of email.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A computer in our network had no antivirus/malware for 2 1/2 years :gonk:

It had three or four adware popups when I first remoted in. I know that's not necessarily related, but Jesus.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't be an idiot, it's very difficult to get a screenshot off my work computer due to security measures.

Pretty sure it was a joke, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sucks man. I feel bad for anybody who works in a place where they lock down the computers like that.

Anyways, about to start a League game on my work computer for our weekly 'team building' activity.