Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ccs posted:

The "spending $7000-$12000 on an unaccredited program" is too risky for me otherwise.

My friend, I have seen prices as high as $20,000 for a six week javascript curriculum. No refunds. Taught by dudes with less than two years professional work before they got into "teaching code".

Granted, it seems like the lovely untrained Front End Dev well has finally run dry, so hopefully those fucks will be scurrying off to some other scam soon now that the market is hyper-saturated with dreamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Education has become the latest sure-thing scam. May have something to do with entire generations being assured it is the only means of improving one's station.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Still baffled people think that after the higher headsets announced earlier in the year and after the next round of gpus from nvid/amd in the next few months, vr 2.0 or at least 1.5 wont be possible at a reasonable price.

For those of us the remember the 90's, what we have now is VR 2.0

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

I mean the deal with the Newton is they missed the point hard on what would be practical with the technology of the day. It's why the Palm Pilots sold so much better. They realized any hardware with acceptable battery usage couldn't do much, so just keep it small so your users can stick it in a normal pocket and jot things down everywhere.

The Pilot was usable with third party software pretty much from day one because it was basically a Mac 512 in your pocket, from the black and white screen and limited storage all the way to the graphic sensibility and A-trap & resource based API. This meant there was a sizable group of developers who could hit the ground running with development, including some who felt alienated by how different Newton development was.

(Interestingly, NewtonScript is kind of like JavaScript but designed by someone who knew what they were doing, who also happened to prefer Pascal to C.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gorson posted:

The technology is not perfect yet, no. We don't have the computing power to properly display the crispiness we are accustomed to. The screen sits mere centimeters from your eyes, so text sucks. However if VR fails (and it very well might) it won't be because of the development of the tech, it will be because of a lack of software support and greedy bags like The Zuck charging too much for the hardware and software.

You do realize that with the exception of the mention of The Zuck, this could have been written in 1991, right?

VR is one of those things that's been "just around the corner" for decades, and it seems to be that no matter how much less lag there is in the head tracking, how much higher resolution the display, how much lighter the googles, how much more render horsepower you have, it's never quite enough.

No doubt we'll get there eventually, with goggles barely distinguishable from glasses, tracking lag in the microseconds, better-than-reality resolution, and the ability to push trillions of polygons a second. But it's not where we're at now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gorson posted:

What? Please go demo an Oculus or Vive with touch controls. You obviously have not. The touch controls become your hands and allow you to interact with objects in virtual space. gently caress that sounds dorky. And yep, as people have pointed out, you look like a dork with the HMD on. Who the gently caress cares?

Where the hell am I supposed to find one of those as a poor in the middle of nowhere?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

eschaton posted:

You do realize that with the exception of the mention of The Zuck, this could have been written in 1991, right?

VR is one of those things that's been "just around the corner" for decades, and it seems to be that no matter how much less lag there is in the head tracking, how much higher resolution the display, how much lighter the googles, how much more render horsepower you have, it's never quite enough.

No doubt we'll get there eventually, with goggles barely distinguishable from glasses, tracking lag in the microseconds, better-than-reality resolution, and the ability to push trillions of polygons a second. But it's not where we're at now.

Sure, some technologies take years to get off the ground and don't get adopted for any number of reasons. But to compare this to 90's VR (I'm a :corsair: so I remember it well) is way off. There is no comparision, it's a paper airplane vs a B2 bomber. There is no tracking lag, at least not enough to convince your brain 100% that what you are seeing is not real. When you walk up to a ledge, your brain is sending the same "be careful, idiot" signals as it would in real life. When you move your hand in front of your face, it is as close to 1:1 as it needs to be. It is that convincing. That is what the tech could not previously support and was the one thing holding it back. Also the motion controls get a bad rap because everyone thinks of the Wii and the crappy "is it tracking or is it just guessing" nature of that implementation. I hated that, and loudly and boringly declared the wii to be a gimmick from the start. The wii's tracking is laughable compared to this.

You sound exactly like me before I tried it. I'm a skeptic too buddy, to the point of obnoxious pessimism.

super sweet best pal posted:

Where the hell am I supposed to find one of those as a poor in the middle of nowhere?

https://youtu.be/diFDBNNmnnU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

My friend, I have seen prices as high as $20,000 for a six week javascript curriculum. No refunds. Taught by dudes with less than two years professional work before they got into "teaching code".

Granted, it seems like the lovely untrained Front End Dev well has finally run dry, so hopefully those fucks will be scurrying off to some other scam soon now that the market is hyper-saturated with dreamers.

Yeah, well that's absurd. The people who fall for that are crazy.

There are still bootcamps that offer refunds or take from salary so those are the only legit ones.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ccs posted:

Yeah, well that's absurd. The people who fall for that are crazy.

There are still bootcamps that offer refunds or take from salary so those are the only legit ones.

I mean, are they? I get they have a stake in students' success that way but unaccredited for-profit education is a lot of red flags for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ugh. At this rate we're going to run out of the raw materials needed to create the graphics cards we have actual uses for. :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ugh. At this rate we're going to run out of the raw materials needed to create the graphics cards we have actual uses for. :smith:

we have amazingly powerful clusters being constructed

for the sole purpose of acquiring internet funbux

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Condiv posted:

we have amazingly powerful clusters being constructed

for the sole purpose of acquiring internet funbux

As if using gold as a store of value wasn't wasteful enough, we're instead mining for minerals, converting those minerals into high-speed, high-throughput data processors, mining/diggging/fracking for energy to run them and the rest of this process, all to create "value", by which I mean solving make-work with the hopes of speculating on a virtual currency with demonstrable liquidity issues. BUT PRICES CAN ONLY GO UP!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

All that computer power could go to folding@home or something actually useful, but it would never be assembled to do so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ErichZahn posted:

All that computer power could go to folding@home or something actually useful, but it would never be assembled to do so.

Video games and other entertainment using CGI would be a way better use. It doesn't have to be folding@home or whatever.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

I mean, are they? I get they have a stake in students' success that way but unaccredited for-profit education is a lot of red flags for me.

Yeah but the refund approach at least shows they're confident that the people who complete the program are job ready. Which is what people attend these things for. And there's currently not really an accredidation system for short-term job preparation systems. Coding is one of the few disciplines that it actually works for. Most other skills take a lot longer to master enough to actually find employment.

I dunno if these schools will continue in the future if the level of quality needed for entry gets a lot higher. But the fact that the technology is constantly changing also sets the bar back a lot, because even those in the field have to continually keep up.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JamesKPolk posted:

I'd say it side steps some of the usual red flags. They're not eligible for loans like the Art Institutes were, so they aren't targeting that "free money." By having connections to businesses looking for bodies, they're providing an actual conduit to jobs and not just an unaccredited piece of paper. Usually, it's more than just a conduit; some of them partner with a corp that needs "15 full stack junior devs" and build the next program around that goal. This means that, upon exiting the program, the students have a very solid shot at landing a job. Also, I'm curious what the ratio is to for- vs. non-profit is for bootcamps. Most of the ones I see appear to be non-profit, but I haven't dug too deeply into it.

Of course, I'm not trying to be an evangelist for this. I'm in a smaller tech city (Pittsburgh), and the ones around here seem to be on the level. I'm sure that the hucksters are much more numerous in the bigger cities where there's a deeper pool of people that just want something better and more demand for devs. Around here, that market is geared towards the medical fields.

Ccs posted:

Yeah but the refund approach at least shows they're confident that the people who complete the program are job ready. Which is what people attend these things for. And there's currently not really an accredidation system for short-term job preparation systems. Coding is one of the few disciplines that it actually works for. Most other skills take a lot longer to master enough to actually find employment.

I dunno if these schools will continue in the future if the level of quality needed for entry gets a lot higher. But the fact that the technology is constantly changing also sets the bar back a lot, because even those in the field have to continually keep up.

I'd also argue that part of the pent up supply comes from lack of credentials outside of the 4-year degree. I assume a good chunk of the people looking at these bootcamps are like me: they have the aptitude but lack the CS degree, either by being a dropout or have a degree in another field. I'd also argue that mastery != skill level needed for employment, and that skill level is lower than for other professions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
What if the whole scrypt currency network was just a crazy way of building an absolutely massive distributed computation network for some nefarious means. :tinfoil:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rime posted:

What if the whole scrypt currency network was just a crazy way of building an absolutely massive distributed computation network for some nefarious means. :tinfoil:

Then they picked a very poor way to calculate who wins the magic ticket.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gorson posted:

Sure, some technologies take years to get off the ground and don't get adopted for any number of reasons. But to compare this to 90's VR (I'm a :corsair: so I remember it well) is way off. There is no comparision, it's a paper airplane vs a B2 bomber.

No, it's more like the Wright Bros. vs the Red Baron.

quote:

There is no tracking lag, at least not enough to convince your brain 100% that what you are seeing is not real. When you walk up to a ledge, your brain is sending the same "be careful, idiot" signals as it would in real life.

There's still plenty of tracking lag. Getting an impression of height isn't about tracking lag. The same feeling can happen playing (or just watching someone else play) Horizon: Zero Dawn on a 1080p TV.

I'm old too, and I've tried the various VR systems too. No matter how much you want to believe, the pronouncements about how full immersion is just around the corner simply aren't grounded in reality. We can't even get a 2K×2K display in front of each eye yet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rime posted:

Bitcoin was created to generate a huge data set with specific SHA-256 hashes to "mine" for algorithmic and implementation vulnerabilities.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Obviously, AMD didn't build their 4xx graphics cards wrong - they merely targeted them at users who want things other than graphics :haw:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

eschaton posted:

No, it's more like the Wright Bros. vs the Red Baron.

There's still plenty of tracking lag. Getting an impression of height isn't about tracking lag. The same feeling can happen playing (or just watching someone else play) Horizon: Zero Dawn on a 1080p TV.

I'm old too, and I've tried the various VR systems too. No matter how much you want to believe, the pronouncements about how full immersion is just around the corner simply aren't grounded in reality. We can't even get a 2K×2K display in front of each eye yet.

No height has nothing to do with tracking lag, I was not saying it does. It certainly has little to do with resolution since I have 1440p monitors and standing on the ledge of something does nothing for me in 2d (I have a fear of heights). The fact that you think the effect of height on a 2d screen is the same as in VR tells me definitively that you have not tried it. Also that you mention "1080p TV" and "zero dawn" tells me youre a PS4 owner and maybe you've tried their version? I don't know anything about that, but I can tell you there is no noticable tracking lag in rift or vive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As game console manufacturers have learned the hard way over and over; you can have all the fancy hardware you want, it doesn't mean poo poo on a stick if you don't have the software to back it up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Am I safe in assuming the lion's share of these bitcoin operations are organized crime at this point?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Discendo Vox posted:

Am I safe in assuming the lion's share of these bitcoin operations are organized crime at this point?

Most of the mining operations are wealthy Chinese attempting to circumvent currency controls and get cash into North America, with market liquidity propped up by organized crime over here.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Dunno

The sketchy russian Bitcoin payment processor just got busted as being behind like 99% of ransomware stuff, but that was seized by the feds, so it's not really operating anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Most are located in the middle of nowhere in china, running off local coal plants spewing tons of carbon into the air. The workers are hired by anonymous owners to setup and run as many miners as they can get their hands on. Workers live at the mines and spend their entire lives there to make sure everything runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kua5B5K3I

YOSPOS Bitcoin thread recently calculated that the Ethereum network specifically is using more power than 108 other countries.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

eschaton posted:

We can't even get a 2K×2K display in front of each eye yet.

And yet somehow television became mainstream when it was 480i and monochrome.

What nerds wish for, and what the general public finds acceptable, don't always match up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And yet somehow television became mainstream when it was 480i and monochrome.

What nerds wish for, and what the general public finds acceptable, don't always match up.

Ah yes, that widespread general public acceptability of low-res VR headsets we're all so familiar with.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

VRs problem is its not AR and the stuff we want to use VR for in business cases requires the tech knowledge of a game dev while not making games. People with the skills required tend to want to be making games instead.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Underpaid and naive?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ohgodwhat posted:

Underpaid and naive?

Ill assume you're asking me.

I could probably make an entire thread about government jobs that could and probably should exist, but here is the basic premise:

One of my adjacent jurisdictions managed to get enough slack in their time and budget that a few of their IT team were able to take up their hobby with steam workshop, AutoCAD, a gaming computer and an HTC vibe. The total cost of investment outside of staff time was probably about $2500. They then took data from a proposed park project and mapped out the proposed build out in VR, just to see what would happen.

They ended up demoing it for about a month at the locals farmers market and everyone loathed the design of a main feature bridge in the park. As a result they took the plans back to design, made one everyone liked at significant cost savings and saved their tax payers an estimated 1.7 million, even with the redesign.

But that all occured by happenstance and as far as I know despite the obvious financial benefit those guys are still just doing their day jobs.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I was joking about the special skills of game devs but that's nonetheless an interesting story!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

fishmech posted:

Ah yes, that widespread general public acceptability of low-res VR headsets we're all so familiar with.

The PSVR sells as fast as Sony can make them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

RuanGacho posted:

Ill assume you're asking me.

I could probably make an entire thread about government jobs that could and probably should exist, but here is the basic premise:

One of my adjacent jurisdictions managed to get enough slack in their time and budget that a few of their IT team were able to take up their hobby with steam workshop, AutoCAD, a gaming computer and an HTC vibe. The total cost of investment outside of staff time was probably about $2500. They then took data from a proposed park project and mapped out the proposed build out in VR, just to see what would happen.

They ended up demoing it for about a month at the locals farmers market and everyone loathed the design of a main feature bridge in the park. As a result they took the plans back to design, made one everyone liked at significant cost savings and saved their tax payers an estimated 1.7 million, even with the redesign.

But that all occured by happenstance and as far as I know despite the obvious financial benefit those guys are still just doing their day jobs.

But in order to reward those guys for having and then successfully implementing a great idea, and possibly making it their jobs to implement more great ideas that result in better infrastructure at more affordable prices, you'd have to give someone in their department or agency latitude and discretion. We can't have unelected upper mid-level functionaries making decisions like that. They might end up spending YOUR TAX DOLLARS on sensible things, on their own. The horror.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a foolish pianist posted:

The PSVR sells as fast as Sony can make them.

And they've only sold about a million units, about 1/60 of the number of PS4 and PS4 Pro systems sold. 1/90 of the current generation console sales, since there's about 30 million Xbones sold too.

For comparison, the Kinect was widely considered a failed accessory for games with 24 million sold, 8 million of which in the first few months. Considering 86 million 360s were sold, that was about 2 Kinects for every 7 360s sold. The similar PlayStation Move accessory for the PS3 was also considered a failure with 15 million sets sold in total, also out of about 86 million total PS3s sold - roughly 1 Move set for every 6 PS3s sold.

So I'd hardly consider PS VR to represent mass market acceptance of VR.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rime posted:

Most of the mining operations are wealthy Chinese attempting to circumvent currency controls and get cash into North America, with market liquidity propped up by organized crime over here.

This is not actually firmly established; there's at least some of this going on, but it's entirely unclear how much.

Most crypto activity is in China; all non-Chinese crypto is a sideshow. Most of the mining is controlled by one guy, Jihan Wu, who runs a huge mining pool (AntPool) and makes 70% of the mining chips (BitMain). Jihan is in it for the money and is not delusional, and that puts him 100% ahead of most bitcoiners.

The trading is speculators, of the sort who would gamble on two flies going up a wall. This is where most of the money going into cryptos comes from, and where most of the price movement comes from. The volume on the biggest Chinese exchanges dwarfs all other exchanges.

I suspect most of the mining is just to make money locally. Bitcoin is set up so that the cost of mining 1 BTC will always circle 1 BTC, so it's a dicey low-margin business.

Most of the electricity is actually cheap hydro, so that's something less horrible about it than it might be. Better than literally 10kg carbon per transaction.

Here's a pile of photos from Chinese bitcoin mining operations. Note the combination of lots of electricity and wet floors. The mining rigs in those photos are mostly AntMiners, sold by BitMain.

edit: a caption in that photo gallery explains it all: "Employees work at BTCChina (BTCC)’s office, in Shanghai’s financial district, January 13, 2017. BTCC was founded in 2011, and is now one of China’s largest Bitcoin exchange platforms. According to its CEO Bobby Lee, Chinese people like the “online gambling” feel of Bitcoin’s instability; also, with the Chinese government’s restrictions on many investment channels, people welcome new ways to invest their money."

Also, 75% of mining capacity is in one building, run by BitMain. Decentralised!!

divabot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 30, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

fishmech posted:

So I'd hardly consider PS VR to represent mass market acceptance of VR.
Agreed, but with Kinect it just felt like an inherently limited idea, whereas with current VR headsets you can feel the potential, it's just not quite there yet for the average consumer. Luckily it seems like most of the relevant tech will continue to improve even with low VR penetration.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

But you see, VR acceptance is right around the corner because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

divabot posted:

Most crypto

Don't do this.

“Crypto” is short for “cryptography,” not “cryptocurrency.”