Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Captain McAllister posted:

Alright,

I really don't want to be 'that guy', but I'm curious about the mileage my car has been getting. 2002 Impreza TS wagon, 5 speed. I got it in March, and have been keeping gas receipts/log from the beginning. The only change I've made to the car was to put stock 16" WRX rims on it. I forget the tire size, but they're not crazy oversized or anything, and I remember checking to see that they'd have a 1.5% change (at most) on speedometer reading, etc.

Anyway, I'm consistently getting 380km/tank, and see that a lot of others get 400-450. All of my driving is in the city.

That's not really the worst. 380km on 50L of all city driving? I do a lot of highway travel, so the mileage in my 2006 2.5i wagon won't really compare. I'm usually seeing ~500km mixed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm not sure what kinda moon units you guys are using,

but I get 300 miles + a tank on my piece of poo poo legacy. I usually fall between 24 and 28 mpg depending on how much of my time is on the highway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind terrain affects things GREATLY.

I was getting 5 MPG better in VA when I visited a few weekends ago than I get in western PA.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Driving in hilly SF all day nets me ~22mpg in a 98 Legacy wagon. It is heavy and old though so it's not really surprising.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I had an '02 RS which I think is similar to your TS, and those city numbers sound about right. I averaged about 25 mpg with a mix of city and highway in that car. It's funny, because I now drive an '11 WRX with 300 whp and it gets an identical 25 mpg.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RS should be worse since it has the 4.11 rear end.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have 4.11 gears and get 27-28mpg on the highway. I think 80 is like 3700rpm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 20, 2012

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You're right, I forgot how ridiculously short the gears were in the RS, something like 4000 rpm at 75mph in 5th. I wonder what the WRX would be like with those ratios, it barely hits 3000 rpm at 80.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blargle posted:

You're right, I forgot how ridiculously short the gears were in the RS, something like 4000 rpm at 75mph in 5th. I wonder what the WRX would be like with those ratios, it barely hits 3000 rpm at 80.
When STI RAs started coming over here they had close ratio 5 speeds with a 4.44 and a relatively stripped interior with an already light chassis. They are... quick.

Think "premature ejaculation" quick.

Forester XTs also have a 4.44 but their gearing is somewhat more sane. Even early JDM WRXes have a 4.11 I think and there were guys running 13s practically out of the box.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog
Hope you guys and gals can help or confirm that this is normal.

I bought a 2012 WRX Premium a few months ago to replace my 2011 cause I am crazy. All is well but the same thing happens to the engine when it is cold as my '11.

The engine seems to idle down to almost stalling when I am just about stopped with the clutch in and the car is in 1st gear. It may not matter if I am in gear or not since the clutch is in. The engine will act like it is going to stall for a split second then idle normally. This only happens when it is cold out and happens even if the engine is at running temp, just not quite as noticable.

Car is not tuned yet and it 100% stock. Is this normal?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Do you have the climate control in "auto" mode? If so, this is common, something to do with the compressor clutch engaging.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog

blargle posted:

Do you have the climate control in "auto" mode? If so, this is common, something to do with the compressor clutch engaging.

That could be it, I will drive without it in "auto" mode to see if this makes a difference. Thanks!

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007

tayLOVE posted:

I guess they pulled the exhaust & checked the bottom of the block for any seepage/leaks. I'll get more info from them tomorrow - the shop is pretty well respected around here (in portland, where everyone drives subarus) & they're charging me a fraction of the labor costs...I'm just surprised they havent seen another car behaving the same way.

Okay, got the car back. They still have no clue what's going on. Here's what they've looked at so far:
- o2 sensor
- passenger bank avc valve
- crank pulley
- compression
- spark plugs
- fuel injectors
- head gasket
- block for leaks etc

Roughness monitors show a big bump in roughness on cylinders 1 & 3 for ~20seconds after warm start, with corresponding air/fuel correction @ learning.

What next??????

Edit: cel are p0301 p0303 p0304 - maybe it's not bank specific?

tayLOVE fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 20, 2012

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Backtracked about a dozen pages and saw no mention of the BRZ in this thread -- is it a dud or something? I sure as hell bought into the whirlwind of hype surrounding its production over the past year or two.

It's the first car to come along in quite a while that lines up nicely with my wants, needs, and affordability, but they simply don't exist where I live, and a test drive would merit a trip out of town.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

enojy posted:

Backtracked about a dozen pages and saw no mention of the BRZ in this thread -- is it a dud or something? I sure as hell bought into the whirlwind of hype surrounding its production over the past year or two.

It's the first car to come along in quite a while that lines up nicely with my wants, needs, and affordability, but they simply don't exist where I live, and a test drive would merit a trip out of town.

It has its own separate thread here.

Alternatively, you could just scroll a little further down the page. :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

zundfolge posted:

It has its own separate thread here.

Alternatively, you could just scroll a little further down the page. :v:

Aw, crap. I figured the discussion would be in this thread. Sorry!

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

OK, so I ran the averages from my logbook. Usually 52L is when the light comes on, and 400km/tank. That is 7.7km/L, which Google tells me is about 18mpg. That still seems...not so great?

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 20, 2012

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I'm thinking about getting a blobeye or hawkeye STI but the pricing around here still seems a bit crazy. I'm seeing them with 70-100k miles on them listed for 17-20k. This seems like a lot. How overpriced is this? One in particular has caught my eye. It's a 2005 with 91k on it, a new shortblock, "bigger turbo" (no further information yet about that) and a dyno tune for 19k. Does that seem decent or should I run away screaming because it's already been messed with? Wouldn't be my first subaru but it would be my first turbo one.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
High price. Only even slightly look at cars that have full on built shortblocks and what not if they can provide receipts for all the work done from reputable shops. Last thing you want is to pick up some shade-tree mechanic's heap that he threw together just to be able to sell.

If he's selling the car after spending all that money building it up, there could be a sign there.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

OK, so I ran the averages from my logbook. Usually 52L is when the light comes on, and 400km/tank. That is 7.7km/L, which Google tells me is about 18mpg. That still seems...not so great?

It might be a little low, but with purely city driving, I wouldn't expect great results from an AWD vehicle in terms of "mpg." In Northern VT, the trip computer in my LGT is reporting mid 22.5-ish mpg and I'm doing a ton of highway driving. Literally, YMMV.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Depends on your city/highway ratio and how leadfooted you are. I get probably 25-27mpg on the highway but because most of my driving is in traffic and city roads my total average is hovering around 22-23mpg.

e:f,b.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 20, 2012

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
Hey all. I'm having some problems with my 09 2.5i today. I stopped by autozone to test the battery because it seemed sluggish to start, and it was due for replacement. So I replaced it, and afterward I have a host of issues. My CEL is on, and I'm pulling codes p0600, p0700, and p1718. Also, the traction control light is stuck on, and won't turn off. Lastly, the cruise control light is flashing on and off and doesn't respond to any inputs from the controls.

Ay ideas?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
When your CEL is on, it disables cruise.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Ok, so I cleared the codes, all went back to normal. Bizzare.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

War Bunny posted:

Ok, so I cleared the codes, all went back to normal. Bizzare.

False positives after a battery removal isn't all that uncommon in many ODBII cars, usually you'll get a bogus P0000 too, which basically meants 'where yo head at?'

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I'll keep that in mind for next time. I guess the tc light sticking on is what really threw me. Never had to deal with that on any of my :corsair: vehicles.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My fiance was involved in a little fender bender in the '02 Forester last night. It's currently sitting in the local Subaru shop getting a repair estimate (And then going directly to a 'real' body shop for what we expect will probably be at least 30% less of a second estimate, but as long as the shop is offering free estimates and it's close by it's worth getting their opinion.)

From their eyeballing of it it looks to be at least $2500 (for a car we bought for $4800 a few months ago..) and out of pocket. Ugh.

Front bumper, the hood, the grill, those annoying little trim pieces under the headlights, the right headlight, the core support...

It'll be nice to have a year where none of our cars are destroyed someday.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Faerunner posted:

My fiance was involved in a little fender bender in the '02 Forester last night. It's currently sitting in the local Subaru shop getting a repair estimate (And then going directly to a 'real' body shop for what we expect will probably be at least 30% less of a second estimate, but as long as the shop is offering free estimates and it's close by it's worth getting their opinion.)

From their eyeballing of it it looks to be at least $2500 (for a car we bought for $4800 a few months ago..) and out of pocket. Ugh.

Front bumper, the hood, the grill, those annoying little trim pieces under the headlights, the right headlight, the core support...

It'll be nice to have a year where none of our cars are destroyed someday.

I am parting out a green 2000 forester in maine. All that front end crap is mint. Probably of little help to you though :S

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

lazer_chicken posted:

I'm thinking about getting a blobeye or hawkeye STI but the pricing around here still seems a bit crazy. I'm seeing them with 70-100k miles on them listed for 17-20k. This seems like a lot. How overpriced is this? One in particular has caught my eye. It's a 2005 with 91k on it, a new shortblock, "bigger turbo" (no further information yet about that) and a dyno tune for 19k. Does that seem decent or should I run away screaming because it's already been messed with? Wouldn't be my first subaru but it would be my first turbo one.

To give you an idea, I'm selling my 05 Blobeye with 71k for $18k-ish but if someone offered me $16k cash I'd take it, so $17-20k isn't too bad for a stock/mostly stock one. For a heavily modified car (new motor, new turbo) I'd expect meticulous documentation like kylej said.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

tayLOVE posted:

Okay, got the car back. They still have no clue what's going on. Here's what they've looked at so far:
- o2 sensor
- passenger bank avc valve
- crank pulley
- compression
- spark plugs
- fuel injectors
- head gasket
- block for leaks etc

Roughness monitors show a big bump in roughness on cylinders 1 & 3 for ~20seconds after warm start, with corresponding air/fuel correction @ learning.

What next??????

Edit: cel are p0301 p0303 p0304 - maybe it's not bank specific?
Can you ask them how they tested the injectors? I think your car has side-feed injectors which can leak at the seals. So find out how they were tested and if the seals were replaced. The fuel pump and filter are other things I would check/replace.

If that doesn't solve anything you need a leak down test (usually one of the first things I do). That will indicate something like a cracked ringland or poor valve sealing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Eventually (next year sometime-ish) my moms 2011 Outback needs will need a timing belt.

Is this a royal pain in the rear end? Any guides? I have only fiddled with BMW timing belts, so I can't imagine it being that awful....

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Good news, everyone!

The Glendale Subaru dealership bottles extra-s and sells it by the quart themselves for $14.95/qt.

Also:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Eventually (next year sometime-ish) my moms 2011 Outback needs will need a timing belt.

Is this a royal pain in the rear end? Any guides? I have only fiddled with BMW timing belts, so I can't imagine it being that awful....

Doing the timing belt on a 2 year car? Do they suddenly have 30k mile intervals on timing belts?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 21, 2012

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
My 06 WRX has recently started making a grinding sound as I'm starting it, could the starter be going? It doesn't do it consistently, and it only seems to happen in the morning (but not every morning) since the temp has dropped. It starts up fine when I leave work later in the day or run errands at night.

The sound happens right at the tail end of the engine turning over and thats it. No other performance issues or changes so I'm thinking its just the starter. How tough/expensive are they to replace? Any other diagnostics I should do?

Jamal, its been awhile, but the Koyo radiator has been fantastic since I installed it!

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Picked up my 2013 WRX on Monday ending my streak of only owning Volkswagens and Audis. First thing I noticed is that the stock radio is garbage. Then I noticed that I didn't need the radio because the rumble coming from the engine bay is the greatest noise ever. I'm planning to keep the car mostly stock throughout the warranty period and then build for 300ish awhp. For now though I'm looking at replacing the stock radio and possibly putting on the SPT exhaust. I'm trying to find anyone local to me that has the SPT exhaust because I'd like to hear it in person rather than forking over a grand for something that's going to be obnoxiously loud. Anyone have any opinions on the SPT exhaust?

Also we tend to have nasty winters here so the roads are always littered with salt and gravel, will Rally Armor mudflaps be helpful in preventing paint chips on the sides of the car? My GTI had tons of white dots down the sides from salt and stones.

Bonus pictures (yes, "boy racer blue" and a sedan :unsmigghh:)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

Good news, everyone!

The Glendale Subaru dealership bottles extra-s and sells it by the quart themselves for $14.95/qt.

~ 5L change for $75+ tax.
20L for $150 + tax.

Just want to say if you only know one other Subaru guy, it's worth your time to split on the jug.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Picked up my 2013 WRX on Monday ending my streak of only owning Volkswagens and Audis. First thing I noticed is that the stock radio is garbage. Then I noticed that I didn't need the radio because the rumble coming from the engine bay is the greatest noise ever. I'm planning to keep the car mostly stock throughout the warranty period and then build for 300ish awhp. For now though I'm looking at replacing the stock radio and possibly putting on the SPT exhaust. I'm trying to find anyone local to me that has the SPT exhaust because I'd like to hear it in person rather than forking over a grand for something that's going to be obnoxiously loud. Anyone have any opinions on the SPT exhaust?

The radio is bad, i always found the bluetooth audio streaming to be much better though. It might be the actual fm tuner that blows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Iron Lung posted:

My 06 WRX has recently started making a grinding sound as I'm starting it, could the starter be going? It doesn't do it consistently, and it only seems to happen in the morning (but not every morning) since the temp has dropped. It starts up fine when I leave work later in the day or run errands at night.

The sound happens right at the tail end of the engine turning over and thats it. No other performance issues or changes so I'm thinking its just the starter. How tough/expensive are they to replace? Any other diagnostics I should do?

Jamal, its been awhile, but the Koyo radiator has been fantastic since I installed it!

It's the starter sticking and not immediately disengaging from the engine as it spins up. That's why it only seems to show up as it gets colder. When it's warmer (either in outside temp or from engine heat), the lubrication for the gear mechanism doesn't stick. It's apparently quite common and some people take the starter off and disassemble it to relube the parts. Otherwise, you need to replace the starter to make it go away.

My '02 has been making the noise for probably about 4 years now when it's cold and and the starter is still going strong, so you aren't in any sort of immediate danger of it no longer working.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I always figured that's just what starters did when they get cold (Subaru ones seem to be louder for whatever reason). As long as it's not the terrifying sound of trying to start an already-started engine I generally let starters do whatever they want.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I'm planning to keep the car mostly stock throughout the warranty period and then build for 300ish awhp. For now though I'm looking at replacing the stock radio and possibly putting on the SPT exhaust. I'm trying to find anyone local to me that has the SPT exhaust because I'd like to hear it in person rather than forking over a grand for something that's going to be obnoxiously loud. Anyone have any opinions on the SPT exhaust?

300awhp on the new wrx's is literally a stage 2 build (downpipe, tune, fuel pump). So don't feel shy about making that happen. As for the SPT exhaust, I'd look at a true 3" exhaust instead so that you don't have to re-buy anything the down the road (that and they're really expensive). Jamal could likely help you out on that end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Faerunner posted:

My fiance was involved in a little fender bender in the '02 Forester last night.

First estimate is back, ~$2780 or so with tax, a week for the repairs to be done. It's going in for an estimate at a different shop today. (A non-dealer shop which can hopefully be more relaxed on "Not using parts from salvage yards" like the dealer shop)