Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Presently, my schedule is: wake up at 5:45, go to work, stay until 5:45, go home and try to sleep.

Speaking of sleep, there's nothing quite as enjoyable as being woken up every hour on the hour by some drunk rear end in a top hat on a Harley Davidson. The best part is, I don't even live in Sturgis. Just "close enough" to make it damned hard to get my creative juices flowing. It doesn't help that I live less than two miles from a Banditos clubhouse. I've been slowly working on the next update, but it's been difficult because I keep zoning out.

Your fault for voluntarily living in SoDak when Minneapolis is so close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nevets posted:

'hosed' War College is no West Point

Don't the ComGuards use Sandhurst as a training academy and grounds in canon? Wonder what happened to all the other prominent military academies on Terra in the interim, like the aforementioned West Point... Blown up by Amaris? Wouldn't put it past him...

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

GhostStalker posted:

Don't the ComGuards use Sandhurst as a training academy and grounds in canon? Wonder what happened to all the other prominent military academies on Terra in the interim, like the aforementioned West Point... Blown up by Amaris? Wouldn't put it past him...

More than likely an afterthought for this game's fiction, but I guess we can say that Amaris burned West Point to the ground rather than have the SLDF have anything intact after victory.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

If Amaris didn't hit it it very well could have been hit in the crossfire between him and the SLDF. The SLDF fights no-holds-barred, after all. When fighting broke out in the Clan Homeworlds they totally ruined their poo poo in the span of like 10 years, to the same level it took the Great Houses 200 to do.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Zeroisanumber posted:

An 8 hour drive isn't exactly close.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Speaking of Apple: coincidentally, today Apple became the world's most valuable company (on paper), surpassing Exxon (for a few hours).

This is of course based on stock valuation which is essentially bullshit, but there you go. No longer the plucky underdog, our Apple; it was briefly the biggest public corporation in the world (unless you rate it on revenues, profits, numbers of employees, numbers of products sold, or any other reasonable metric).

Apple iBattlemechs suddenly don't sound so implausible, eh?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMechs are pretty much the anti-Apple product. You can keep a mech running for hundreds of years with parts from other machines and tape.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

BattleMechs are pretty much the anti-Apple product. You can keep a mech running for hundreds of years with parts from other machines and tape.

Omnimechs especially, considering their modularity.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr. Despair posted:

Yes but the food is actually palatable here, and there is a nightlife to speak of that doesn't involve 3am motorcycle rallies by the Banditos.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Nevets posted:

'hosed' War College is no West Point

'Focht' War College. Named after a guy that won't exist(under that name) in Poptarts timeline. It's also the (archaic) german word for "fenced" and "fought".

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 9, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GhostStalker posted:

Battletech in general has a very anti-American future in mind. Apparently Space Everyone Else didn't take too kindly to Space America and deployed Space Nukes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Battletech in general has a very anti-American future in mind. Apparently Space Everyone Else didn't take too kindly to Space America and deployed Space Nukes.

The Battletech creators were huge Otakus (which is why someone will speak Japanese in every book; even the ones where everyone is already speaking Spanish). :ssh:

... but really, the Battletech universe is Midieval Europe (and Asia) during World War II in the future of 1985 in space. With giant robots.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate being around millions of people and spending more than five minutes driving to work. :p

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

If Amaris didn't hit it it very well could have been hit in the crossfire between him and the SLDF. The SLDF fights no-holds-barred, after all. When fighting broke out in the Clan Homeworlds they totally ruined their poo poo in the span of like 10 years, to the same level it took the Great Houses 200 to do.

Also, it's a considerable possibility that West Point was blown up in the wars on Terra that McKenna stopped. Or WWIII.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, keep in mind that the Star League was Space America in that most government was based from that area. It's key areas got hit hard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Despair posted:

Anything under a day's travel is close in the great plains.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anything under a day's travel is close in the great plains.

The only thing the drive to Minneapolis has going for it is that it doesn't involve driving through Wyoming like the ride to Denver does.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Yeah, keep in mind that the Star League was Space America in that most government was based from that area. It's key areas got hit hard.
You're thinking of the Terran Hegemony, the Star league is like the UN.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Xmas Future posted:

Bloated, inefficient, lacking any real power or credibility? That doesn't sound like the Star League this thread has detailed. :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Trast posted:

Bloated, inefficient, lacking any real power or credibility? That doesn't sound like the Star League this thread has detailed. :v:

For one thing, unlike UN troops, the SLDF shoots back!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xmas Future posted:

The League was a Terran Hegemony... um, hegemony, really.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The League was a Terran Hegemony... um, hegemony, really.

It called itself a hegemony, but it wasn't, really. The Federated Suns weren't really a federation anymore either. No one calls themselves "Feudal Space Nation" but that's what they all were.

Before it dissolved itself to form the nucleus of the Star League the Terran Hegemony was ruled by House Cameron the same way the other houses ruled their nations.

When you have a "Hegemony Armed Forces" and a "Director-Captain" you aren't a hegemony anymore. You're a nation.

I think this can be explained as the Battletech writers not really knowing, or caring, what a hegemony actually is, and just using it as "Government Type X." Either that or they figured that everyone called themselves something different, but everyone functions as a feudal aristocracy, so who cares if it doesn't make much sense?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

jng2058 posted:

It called itself a hegemony, but it wasn't, really. The Federated Suns weren't really a federation anymore either. No one calls themselves "Feudal Space Nation" but that's what they all were.

Before it dissolved itself to form the nucleus of the Star League the Terran Hegemony was ruled by House Cameron the same way the other houses ruled their nations.

When you have a "Hegemony Armed Forces" and a "Director-Captain" you aren't a hegemony anymore. You're a nation.

I think this can be explained as the Battletech writers not really knowing, or caring, what a hegemony actually is, and just using it as "Government Type X." Either that or they figured that everyone called themselves something different, but everyone functions as a feudal aristocracy, so who cares if it doesn't make much sense?

Wait so your telling me the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea is not a) democratic b) run by the people or C)a republic? what next the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy roman or an empire?

Just because a state calls itself after a type of government does not mean it has to behave like that type of government.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

I was referring more to the Star League being based mostly upon the TH being able to push people around. One of the rules of membership was that you had to accept the Star League Dollar and you couldn't have an army more than half the size of the SLDF forces stationed in your state.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

Both were semi-accurate. The Hegemony was the planet-state of Terra ruling all other planets in the area by implied power of the fleet as it re-conquered the colonies the Terran Alliance had abandoned. That later changed and it was a straight-up old-fashioned Empire, then it was the de-facto ruling power of the hegemony thta was the Star League. The Federated Suns is still a Federation, the March Lords rule their March and have largely free reign outside of specific dictates handed down from the Prince (pretty much the same as in the USA really). The Draconis Combine makes no pretenses about being a Feudal Empire. The FRR is Republic, from Rasalhague and debatably "free". The Free Worlds League is definitely a League. The Lyran Commonwealth and Alliance are both accurate too.
The Capellan Confederation is somewhat inaccurate at this point, but being psycho space-China/Korea this is in-character.

The minor powers are normally accurate enough, with Alliance, Hegemony and Republic being used sensibly enough, but the Taurian Concordat is a bit :wtc:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

the Taurian Concordat is a bit :wtc:

But sounds better than the 'Taurian Assholes' and 'those guys even the Capellans don't like who live in a magical nebula space-maze'.

Also, since the Catholic Church is not LosTech (and the Pope still lives on Terra), it's entirely possible the Taurian Concordat was first recognized (as a country) by the Church (which beats what everyone would've recognized them as before: Pirates), and that the Taurians decided to honor that recognition by naming their new country after the agreement.

VVV It wasn't during the Amaris Coup (which is why the Federated Suns practices New Avalon Catholicism--since they got a garbled message and assumed it ment New Avalon was now in charge of the church), but it has been since ComStar took over.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 10, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Makes me wonder if the Vatican is still independant.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well it is established that there's both an Earth Pope and a Space Pope (On New Avalon).

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Arquinsiel posted:

Makes me wonder if the Vatican is still independant.

more importantly it makes me wonder what kind of mechs the swiss guard pilot...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Taerkar posted:

Well it is established that there's both an Earth Pope and a Space Pope (On New Avalon).

Is the Space Pope reptilian?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always interpreted the garbled message as "garbled." I mean, it's not like the guy couldn't have contacted the Cardinal on Atreus and asked if he got a message saying he was in charge too. He clearly wasn't TOO hesitant to declare himself the new Pope.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I always interpreted the garbled message as "garbled." I mean, it's not like the guy couldn't have contacted the Cardinal on Atreus and asked if he got a message saying he was in charge too. He clearly wasn't TOO hesitant to declare himself the new Pope.

To be fair though if he contacted the Cardinal on Atreus it probably would've just ended in "No, YOU shut up! I'm the Pope now!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That... is actually a really good argument. You should be proud of that one.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Ferrosol posted:

My money's on the Thunder

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Xmas Future posted:

My money's on the Thunder

I don't know, you can't wield a halberd in just one hand.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Ferrosol posted:

The Swiss Guard had Clan-tech 'mechs before the Star League had Tech-2 'Mechs.

You don't wanna know what they're piloting nowadays, but I'll give you a hint: they mount Rotary Gauss Rifles as tertiary weapons.

You Do Not gently caress with the Swiss Guard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ferrosol posted:

A quick asking of my friend who owns most editions of most books since Battledroids and it appears they don't pilot mechs, but they do still exist protecting the independant state of the Vatican City.....

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Machine Gun Ammo Throwers.

Yeah, I remember Battletech having a hard-on for elite regiments with fancy names. Kell Hounds, the Sword of Light regiments, Davion Assault Guards, the Eridani Light Horse (let's just skip over their track record...)

And, of course, the Black Watch.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Chicken Slayer posted:

the Eridani Light Horse (let's just skip over their track record...)
They killed a clan, gently caress the haters :colbert:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

They killed a clan, gently caress the haters :colbert:

And later joined one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

A quick asking of my friend who owns most editions of most books since Battledroids and it appears they don't pilot mechs, but they do still exist protecting the independant state of the Vatican City.....

By the 32nd century they're using specially designed experimental battle armor suits.

• Locked thread