Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

I resting position for my left hand on the keyboard is wasd with pinky on left ctrl (thank you misspent youth) I don't think I could handle that :psyduck:

When I first saw this, I moved to it and never moved back. It's just more natural to use. What's funny is, ~10 years ago, you couldn't find the option to just switch caps and ctrl and had to use xmodmap/edit registry to get it, now every desktop environment just has a checkbox and there's 3rd party things you can click to enable/disable it on windows, so it looks like more people are using it now, after sun keyboards don't exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ebay says $160 for a water damaged 2010 icebook Macbook and $180-280 for a functional one

Any laptop that can run Windows is automatically worth $100, Windows + low end steam games, netflix + full screen youtube = $229. The x120e is a great laptop at any price under $200 depending on what you need it for. My buddy used his effectively as an electronic typewriter and it serves him very well to this day.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Ebay says $160 for a water damaged 2010 icebook Macbook and $180-280 for a functional one

Any laptop that can run Windows is automatically worth $100, Windows + low end steam games, netflix + full screen youtube = $229

Wow, thanks for that. I don't want to deal with ebay / CL and don't mind giving the guys a deal, so I think we'll settle at $150 for the Mac, which does have a physical dent in the plastic and a non-operation optical drive, and $160 for the X120. That's more than I feel they're worth, a $199 HP Stream seems superior to the X120 in every way except touchpoint mouse.

Edit: I've mostly replaced the X120 with a 4GB Dell Chromebook that I got used. After finding out it has a shell, I'm good to go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twerk from Home posted:

Would someone mind giving me a price check on a fair price to sell some old laptops to friends?

I'm thinking $120 for a mid-2010 plastic unibody macbook that's been upgraded to 8GB RAM and has less than 50 cycles and 6 months on a new battery.

Is an X120e with 4GB of RAM worth $100?

Unibody whitebook is $300 all day on eBay

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've found it's almost impossible to unload a laptop on craigslist that's more than 3 years old. People just won't buy them at any price so it's good you've found a buyer. A lot of the older refurb laptop listings (except for a few models) sit on ebay for weeks and weeks.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens with the used laptop market in 2-3 years now that performance hasn't increased in 2-3 years. Ebay is already full of "desktop class" Thinkpads for $250-300 all day long that are 90% as fast as a brand new i5 T450 and cost 1/3rd the price of new retail and the market is going to get more overloaded with similar laptops in a few years time. The amount of laptop you can get in a T430 for $350 refurbished these days is staggering. I think BobMorales got a T430s with 8GB ram and SSD for $250 last week or some crazy deal like that.

I think the price of used laptops right now is mostly based on the amount of effort required to buy, warehouse, list and ship the laptop, rather than market demand.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Cheap or not those older machines still have awful screens and battery life (even when it had a new battery my T430s was lucky to make it to 4 hours). Actual performance hasn't been the issue for years, it's all the other stuff.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I've found it's almost impossible to unload a laptop on craigslist that's more than 3 years old. People just won't buy them at any price so it's good you've found a buyer. A lot of the older refurb laptop listings (except for a few models) sit on ebay for weeks and weeks.

I'm really shocked that plastic whitebooks are worth that much. My impression from using it after I put a new battery in it is that the battery life is still terrible (3-4 hours browsing with Chrome), the hard drive is unbelievably slow, and the screen is pretty bad.

I'm not worried about getting every dollar out of it and mostly trying to clear out clutter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apple products hold on to their value for whatever reason. Until they can no longer run the latest version of OSX, then they taper off. Slowly.

Which is weird because they sell more laptops than anyone else except the Chromebooks, which are basically disposable. So there's no shortage of them. Have you ever heard someone say "I really want an Apple laptop with XYZ configuration, but can't find any! I've been looking for hours!"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Apple products hold on to their value for whatever reason. Until they can no longer run the latest version of OSX, then they taper off. Slowly.

Which is weird because they sell more laptops than anyone else except the Chromebooks, which are basically disposable. So there's no shortage of them. Have you ever heard someone say "I really want an Apple laptop with XYZ configuration, but can't find any! I've been looking for hours!"

You'd think I'd be able to score a 2012 or even 2013 11" MBA (god knows why I want another one) for $400 but no....I'm better off getting a brand new one for 675 after college discounts

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I can barely tell the difference between the XPS 13" 1080p screen and the high res touchscreen except that the touch has an awful glossy coating. Am I a monster?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just got my hands on a T440

Clickpad isn't THAT bad
Screen is a little better than the T430/T420 but still not MacBook Air quality
Only one DIMM slot, so 8GB max. Not the end of the world I guess but an 8GB chip is what, $55? Was hoping to just throw a spare 4GB in there.

Report back in a few days on battery life and such.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Greatest Living Man posted:

I can barely tell the difference between the XPS 13" 1080p screen and the high res touchscreen except that the touch has an awful glossy coating. Am I a monster?

I looked at them side by side and once you get past the improved contrast the glossy qhd+ touchscreen gives you, they're both very, very nice screens

Hadlock posted:

Oh right, I had to go by the mall, Apple store said they won't have the new Macbook on display until April 10th. Microsoft Store did, however, have the new XPS 13 on display, two of the 1080p IPS non-touch and one of the quad-HD+ touch screens. I was a little suprised to see that the non-touch screen had a traditional looking screen (tiny bezel still, though), I was expecting a glass screen on both. The glass screen is definitely flashier, and that matte screen looks kind of dull in comparison, but really they're equal brightness and I think the 1080p IPS has better color reproduction than the quad-HD.

The 1080p is matte and on the left, quad-HD touch is the "infinity" glass screen on the right

And also running MS Word

The end result is they're both very high quality screens, and when it's not side by side with that glass display, the 1080p screen is actually very, very nice. I think this might be the laptop that replaces my X230.

Also you can see that the 8.1 OS scales nicely here, if I didn't point out that the screen on the right was 2560x1440 and the screen on the left was 1920x1080 you might not have noticed based on the lack of GUI scaling (start button, system clock, etc).

Quad-HD means 4x720p in case you were wondering.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Hadlock posted:

I looked at them side by side and once you get past the improved contrast the glossy qhd+ touchscreen gives you, they're both very, very nice screens

Yeah I guess I assumed the difference would be more obvious, but 1080p in a 13" looks great.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
My mother has been complaining non-stop about her laptop not being good enough to do her "pitchures" so she told me to spend whatever on her card so I got a ThinkPad T550 (20CK000KUS) Intel Core i5 5300U (2.30GHz) 8GB Memory 256GB SSD 15.6" Ultrabook. Hopefully she can't bog that one down with all the garbage she likes to install.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would go with 500GB if it's her primary PC and she edits a bunch of photos there. There's no replacement for a good backup solution but I know my pitchures take up the lion's share of my storage space.

That should be acceptably fast though, in any case. If she manages to bog it down you can always toss in a 16GB ram stick later for $120 or so.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Bob Morales posted:

Screen is a little better than the T430/T420 but still not MacBook Air quality

Given that the MBA has an amazingly terrible screen, are you saying the Thinkpad screens are even amazingly terribler or did you mean to refer to a Retina Macbook?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Hadlock posted:

I would go with 500GB if it's her primary PC and she edits a bunch of photos there. There's no replacement for a good backup solution but I know my pitchures take up the lion's share of my storage space.

That should be acceptably fast though, in any case. If she manages to bog it down you can always toss in a 16GB ram stick later for $120 or so.

Should I unorder that and get an i7 5600U with 500GB HDD then?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

Given that the MBA has an amazingly terrible screen, are you saying the Thinkpad screens are even amazingly terribler or did you mean to refer to a Retina Macbook?

The MBA does not have a terrible screen.

Edit: MBA 13" on the left, T420 on the right. $100 Acer 21.5" monitor in the background

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 29, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Bob Morales posted:

The MBA does not have a terrible screen.

Edit: MBA 13" on the left, T420 on the right. $100 Acer 21.5" monitor in the background

Slightly better than bottom of the barrel is still terrible

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know how it looks in real life, but everytime I see that picture, I think: "So, outperformed by a $100 monitor then?"

gently caress the hypersaturation on that MBA screen.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Are there any reasons to not get an x360 Spectre versus other laptops in that class? It appears to beat an XPS13 on everything but weight, which doesn't bother me. Also apparently has a rocking digitizer for note-taking.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So my girlfriend is getting a new computer and her mother is paying for it... but her mother knows fuckall about computers but thinks she does.

What's the best computer she can get for $750 including a 2-3 year warranty with accidental damage protection? Tried configuring an HP Envy but it ended up being like 70 bucks over budget.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

So my girlfriend is getting a new computer and her mother is paying for it... but her mother knows fuckall about computers but thinks she does.

What's the best computer she can get for $750 including a 2-3 year warranty with accidental damage protection? Tried configuring an HP Envy but it ended up being like 70 bucks over budget.

That's going to be touch including the 3 year accidental damage warranty. What is she doing with it? What about a $400 used T420 or T430 and budget to replace it? I'd rather use that than pretty much any <$650 laptop. Accidental damage warranties tend to be pretty expensive too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

That's going to be touch including the 3 year accidental damage warranty. What is she doing with it? What about a $400 used T420 or T430 and budget to replace it? I'd rather use that than pretty much any <$650 laptop. Accidental damage warranties tend to be pretty expensive too.

Her mother, unfortunately, is insane and refuses to compromise. It took a lot of effort to convince her to shop online rather than Best Buy. Fortunately there's a T450 with a broadwell CPU on sale for $550 on lenovo's site, so with the warranty that should bring us right to the price limit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

system protocol posted:

Temporary link https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...xjid=6603668154 save up to a few hundred bucks on any laptop (more than the Barns and Noble site) Type in code "FLEN*2V" when prompted.
Not sure how long this passcode will be good for.

This is a fantastic offer but expires in a few hours fyi

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

That offer expires in a few hours and then there will be another right after it. If another code is required ill post it when I get my hands on it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

system protocol posted:

That offer expires in a few hours and then there will be another right after it. If another code is required ill post it when I get my hands on it.

I think that's the same code I got from CorporatePerks through my job. Weird. But it was taking hundreds of dollars off the prices of Thinkpads, and if I actually wanted a new Thinkpad, it would have been awesome.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

For what it's worth, I got my T450s for 40% off last week using this same site with a different code. It looks like the T450s is only 30% on there now. If you're patient, you can get an even better deal than what's on there now. I just have no idea when the 40% deal will be back.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

I think that's the same code I got from CorporatePerks through my job. Weird. But it was taking hundreds of dollars off the prices of Thinkpads, and if I actually wanted a new Thinkpad, it would have been awesome.

Yeah the corporateperks code really made it a lot cheaper. If you end up getting another and care to share it I'd be super super grateful. My girlfriend is in the market but couldn't quite get the money together in time.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

Yeah, it is one of the codes from corporate perks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry if this a repeat question: I am trying to help my dad pick a business laptop.

Need:
Ethernet port
VGA-port really preferred (ugh!)

Wanted < 3.5lbs

I've found the Lenovo X250 and T450S and both are great. The X250 is especially light. Are there any others? The XPS 13 doesn't have the required ports unfortunately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PC (and presumably Laptop) prices to rise 10% this year, Lenovo is the largest computer maker with 18.9% of the market, HP second at 17.3%

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/pc/pc-prices-skyrocket-to-combat-buoyant-dollar-1292479

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CharlesM posted:

Sorry if this a repeat question: I am trying to help my dad pick a business laptop.

Need:
Ethernet port
VGA-port really preferred (ugh!)

Wanted < 3.5lbs

I've found the Lenovo X250 and T450S and both are great. The X250 is especially light. Are there any others? The XPS 13 doesn't have the required ports unfortunately.

HP 820 or 840

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

PC (and presumably Laptop) prices to rise 10% this year, Lenovo is the largest computer maker with 18.9% of the market, HP second at 17.3%

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/pc/pc-prices-skyrocket-to-combat-buoyant-dollar-1292479

It seems like Europe already gets screw on PC pricing, and now it's about to get even worse? I really am spoiled in the US with cheap cars, computers, gas, and houses.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

CharlesM posted:

The XPS 13 doesn't have the required ports unfortunately.

That one single "Dell Adapter" will give him all his required ports. Yeah I know it's a dongle but the fact is he would only need ethernet + vga when he's tethered to a desk so it has the plus of keeping the tiny laptop free of bulky connections when not tethered.

I'm just justifying the 13 since I already ordered one for myself.... And it's been in production forever...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

Couldn't this be a result of Windows 10 licenses costing more for manufacturers

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That is definitely the look of a man who thinks an ugly rear end Thinkpad is the peak of aesthetics.

Apples are boring.

I agree withe the man. *neckbeard aggressively fluffs up*

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Schmoli posted:

That one single "Dell Adapter" will give him all his required ports. Yeah I know it's a dongle but the fact is he would only need ethernet + vga when he's tethered to a desk so it has the plus of keeping the tiny laptop free of bulky connections when not tethered.

I'm just justifying the 13 since I already ordered one for myself.... And it's been in production forever...

Dongles are no good when you forget to bring them to a foreign country :facepalm:
I hate VGA but a lot of people still use them for projectors apparently. :(
Japan hotels also don't always use WiFi but ethernet still.
The XPS 13 is really a nice computer though so I'd be excited to have one! :)

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I realized the main thing I care about in a laptop is the quality of the screen. I'm not doing anything intensive and average battery life is enough for my need.
My T540p is getting old and I'd like to get something cheapish that has a screen that does not suck like the Lenovo's. Is there such a combination ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I want a new laptop. I haven't bought any computer, laptop or otherwise, for quite a few years and want to make sure I'm not ripping myself off somehow.

I'm looking at a Thinkpad T450, straight from Lenovo, with the default everything except removing the camera since I'd never use it and I have 2-3 other cameras on me at all times in our weird dystopian present.

I'm MOSTLY going to use this for simple tasks such as internet browsing, and want it primarily because typing on my phone screen is slow and imprecise. I do, however, want to be able to play some games and specifically am interested in relatively low-end indie titles and older games, since big taxing AAA games I'll be playing on a console anyhow.

I figured the thinkpads are a good choice since they're well regarded here and, more impoortantly, they're nice and sturdy since even though I don't feel like I'm ever too harsh on them, my previous laptops have tended to last a year at best. I feel like I'm wasting time asking about it here since I read the OP and it basically already answered these questions, but I suppose a quick checkin with folks who know what they're talking about is wise before I drop an entire paycheck or more on something like this.