Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He goes over this in detail in that interview.

He's barely involved with the anime but he gets details from them. Toriyama sends him text of what will happen, Toyotaro then gets essentially free rein to do what he wants, Toriyama then checks that over and suggests changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Toriyama is also way more concerned with styles of gags and poo poo than he is plot beats.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
The anime is full of fanservice stuff like SSBKK and everyone using named attacks all of the time. Most iconic attacks in the orginal series and Z are only used one time.

I'm also not as into the slice of life stuff that everyone else seems to love.

At this point I think the manga is a lot better, but I've always liked the Dragon Ball manga better than the show.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the dragonball super manga barely exists and just glosses over tons of stuff as fast as possible to focus on one or two moments that may or may not be in the anime

its really weird, and feels like it's supposed to be a sort of cross-promo tool for the anime, but then it does its own thing often enough that its not a very effective one

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The comic explains things a whole lot better than the cartoon, and doesn't waste as much time on pointless nonsense (like retreading the movies).

Its pretty good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sassassin posted:

The comic explains things a whole lot better than the cartoon, and doesn't waste as much time on pointless nonsense (like retreading the movies).

Its pretty good.

Yes but some stuff it does is not as good. Like the Hit fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Apart from the sound effects the Hit fight in the show is boring gibberish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sassassin posted:

Apart from the sound effects the Hit fight in the show is boring gibberish.

And I think you're wrong. So thats the end of that.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 27, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember the way the show handled vegeta vs that saiyan kid being better as well

tbh super suffers in the beginning from retreading the movies for no reason, but you could just watch those movies instead and start super where rof leaves off. I'd say that the manga skipping rof was a good move except there was a separate adaption of that anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Its pretty good.

The Super manga is really bad. It's nowhere as good as Toriyama's actual manga and the things it 'explains' are all stuff to appeal to the dumb power level fans who care more about meanless minutia than anything else.

Super anime has flaws but the manga's only strong feature is that it's drawn well and even then the panel composition and layout is really dull.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the anime ruined the hit fight by loving up the kaioken sound-effect

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

The Super manga is really bad. It's nowhere as good as Toriyama's actual manga and the things it 'explains' are all stuff to appeal to the dumb power level fans who care more about meanless minutia than anything else.

It explains the time-travel mechanics way better. I'm still not convinced the show understands that the time machine creates new timelines.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Maybe it just works differently on the show.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The manga for Super is really boring. Toyotaro can draw the characters but he fails at giving the action a sense of energy and motion like Toriyama is able to. Add onto that rewriting plot elements to "fix" things in a way that only satisfies the people who take this series way too seriously.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sassassin posted:

It explains the time-travel mechanics way better. I'm still not convinced the show understands that the time machine creates new timelines.

To be fair by design the plot kind of had to play fast and lose with the rules. Just like the original.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Time travel is a really dumb plot point that always creates plot holes anyways.

But I'm glad we got to see it again because Future Trunks is my favourite character since my childhood and it makes me happy to see him again and cooler than ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Right. People who care about meaningless minutia more than anything. Even the original DBZ didn't overly care about the time machines specifics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

The manga for Super is really boring. Toyotaro can draw the characters but he fails at giving the action a sense of energy and motion like Toriyama is able to. Add onto that rewriting plot elements to "fix" things in a way that only satisfies the people who take this series way too seriously.

What has he "rewritten"? He's writing concurrently with the show, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, based on the same story outlines Toriyama provides both productions (only he gets more direct feedback and suggestions).

The art is too-often directly "homaging" Toriyama's panels (bordering on tracing at times) but at least it looks like Dragonball.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Right. People who care about meaningless minutia more than anything. Even the original DBZ didn't overly care about the time machines specifics.

The show spends way more time discussing how it all works, though. They just do it with the Gods talking about causes and effects that turn out to be wrong instead of a quick blackboard that at least made sense with what we'd seen before.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really see how the show's doing the time travel part badly. They've at least tried to have some consistency here, and the only "plot hole" is explicitly explained by the time ring keeping Zamasu around.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The super manga is basically a bunch of DBZ fanart aping Toriyama's style with a paragraph's worth of complimentary info for the show whenever it doesn't outright contradict it, although by nature this does mean it'll sometimes spoil the show. For example, we know that Kaioshin dying means God of Destruction dies, but IIRC that hasn't actually been brought up in the Super Anime yet because the Manga gets to jump around storybeats without needing to do a full cohesive tale, as such the author can just go "oh, that's super cool, i'll throw it in with Trunks saying cool things about how he is strong" while for the anime there needs to be a natural point to tell this information, which has to be much later on because of the number of episodes involved means Beerus can't know future Kaioshin dies since he'd do something about it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Momomo posted:

I don't really see how the show's doing the time travel part badly. They've at least tried to have some consistency here, and the only "plot hole" is explicitly explained by the time ring keeping Zamasu around.

There's a pretty big plothole in the form of the timeline in which Goku Black came into existence. There's plenty of good fan theories about it (the timeline before Whis did the time rewind, it being destroyed when Beerus killed Zamasu etc) but the show has been happy to let it slide quietly and it's worked out fine because who cares.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How is that a plot hole? It's a fourth timeline.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordaedil posted:

Fifth

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

black only gets the idea to switch bodies with goku because he fought goku. goku only fights zamasu because he was investigating his connection to black. so zamasu has to come from the timeline where trunks returns for help against black. but there's no logical set of circumstances where zamasu gets investigated but doesnt end up getting an rear end blasting from beerus

then black himself admits that killing him would have worked if not for his time ring.

its very nonsensical

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The super manga is basically a bunch of DBZ fanart aping Toriyama's style with a paragraph's worth of complimentary info for the show whenever it doesn't outright contradict it, although by nature this does mean it'll sometimes spoil the show. For example, we know that Kaioshin dying means God of Destruction dies, but IIRC that hasn't actually been brought up in the Super Anime yet because the Manga gets to jump around storybeats without needing to do a full cohesive tale, as such the author can just go "oh, that's super cool, i'll throw it in with Trunks saying cool things about how he is strong" while for the anime there needs to be a natural point to tell this information, which has to be much later on because of the number of episodes involved means Beerus can't know future Kaioshin dies since he'd do something about it.

This whole paragraph works on a weird assumption that the comic is designed only to compliment the show. Do you complain that the movies "spoil" events of the show as well? What about the show "spoiling" events of the comic?

They're all distinct products telling the same outline in their own ways, some with more Toriyama influence (comic, movies) some with less (cartoon).

So far the comic has done far less "jumping around" than the show imo. I doubt the comic will jump back and forth to and from the future quite so many times. There's less pointless repetition and padding (there must be if he's going to be ahead of the show again soon as he claims).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Law Cheetah posted:

black only gets the idea to switch bodies with goku because he fought goku. goku only fights zamasu because he was investigating his connection to black. so zamasu has to come from the timeline where trunks returns for help against black. but there's no logical set of circumstances where zamasu gets investigated but doesnt end up getting an rear end blasting from beerus

then black himself admits that killing him would have worked if not for his time ring.

its very nonsensical

Yeah cause Black is a paradox. He should not exist but does due to the time ring. Other then that it's a stable timeloop until his past self's death. The best way to explain it I would say is after Zamasu killed Gowasu when Whis and Beerus let him he grabbed the ring and potara. Which made it so that Whis's rewind did not affect him.

sassassin posted:

This whole paragraph works on a weird assumption that the comic is designed only to compliment the show. Do you complain that the movies "spoil" events of the show as well? What about the show "spoiling" events of the comic?

They're all distinct products telling the same outline in their own ways, some with more Toriyama influence (comic, movies) some with less (cartoon).

So far the comic has done far less "jumping around" than the show imo. I doubt the comic will jump back and forth to and from the future quite so many times. There's less pointless repetition and padding (there must be if he's going to be ahead of the show again soon as he claims).

The comic is to compliment the show. That is the sole reason for it's existence. This is 100% fact.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its spelled complement you guys

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

its spelled complement you guys

gently caress. Point taken.

Anyway, yeah, the manga complements the show. You watch the show and then want more of it so you buy the manga volumes, or you read the manga because you bought its magazine and then start watching the show because you want more DBS more often.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

we know that Kaioshin dying means God of Destruction dies, but IIRC that hasn't actually been brought up in the Super Anime yet

It has

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anyway, yeah, the manga complements the show. You watch the show and then want more of it so you buy the manga volumes, or you read the manga because you bought its magazine and then start watching the show because you want more DBS more often.

So they complement (and compliment) each other equally?

I agree that the relationship goes both ways, but earlier you were suggesting otherwise.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

What has he "rewritten"? He's writing concurrently with the show, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, based on the same story outlines Toriyama provides both productions (only he gets more direct feedback and suggestions).

The art is too-often directly "homaging" Toriyama's panels (bordering on tracing at times) but at least it looks like Dragonball.

SS Blue in the Anime is so good, calming and energy efficient you can use Kaioken with it. In the manga using it once means you can't use it again because you use up too much energy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

So they complement (and compliment) each other equally?

I agree that the relationship goes both ways, but earlier you were suggesting otherwise.

That's just my bias against the manga sometimes :v: but yeah, they both feed into each other and some of the manga stuff is interesting to read.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Kild posted:

SS Blue in the Anime is so good, calming and energy efficient you can use Kaioken with it. In the manga using it once means you can't use it again because you use up too much energy.

You could argue that giving the ridiculously powerful SS Blue a drawback is actually a good thing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do people really care about power levels? Why? Isn't the point made really early on in DBZ that they're not much use?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do people really care about power levels? Why? Isn't the point made really early on in DBZ that they're not much use?
Nerds like numbers.

I preferred the letter systems for measuring strength more. Much more leeway. "He's an A-class, you're just a B" or "the legendary S class!"

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
power levels are actually awesome

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

You could argue that giving the ridiculously powerful SS Blue a drawback is actually a good thing

The anime seems to have handled this by just making SSB-level opponents more common. I like that the explanation for Zamasu is that he's the one Kaioshin who lifts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

The anime seems to have handled this by just making SSB-level opponents more common. I like that the explanation for Zamasu is that he's the one Kaioshin who lifts.

Even in the anime they are very uncommon though, which I like, because that kind of power should not be normal. The only beings we've seen around Super Saiyan Blue's power are Golden Freeza (who was higher in power but lacked stamina, and by this point would likely be weaker than both Goku and Vegeta), Hit (who was forcefully holding back, even against a x10 Kaio-ken, but now Goku might be good enough) and Black (who gained the power from Goku's body to begin with). Beerus and Champa are above it (though weaker than two Super Saiyan Blues joining forces/fusing) and Zamasu is actually lower in the power scale, but immortality that gives instant regen for any wound is really broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

power levels are cool because the scale of power is so absolutely broken after the Cell Saga, you now have base level, hasn't trained in years Gohan being able to sneeze and kill Super Perfect Cell in one shot

• Locked thread