Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

eschaton posted:

Don't do this.

“Crypto” is short for “cryptography,” not “cryptocurrency.”

Just like cyber stood for cybersex and not cyber warfare in my times! :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eschaton posted:

Don't do this.

Don't do this.

"Pedantry" is obsessing over specific word usage when it was obvious what he was saying if you looked at context.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

blowfish posted:

But in order to reward those guys for having and then successfully implementing a great idea, and possibly making it their jobs to implement more great ideas that result in better infrastructure at more affordable prices, you'd have to give someone in their department or agency latitude and discretion. We can't have unelected upper mid-level functionaries making decisions like that. They might end up spending YOUR TAX DOLLARS on sensible things, on their own. The horror.

Were they were quietly reprimanded for acting outside their role, and embarrassing other people in their department?

You have to be a consultant to be allowed to have ideas like that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dongsturm posted:

Were they were quietly reprimanded for acting outside their role, and embarrassing other people in their department?

You have to be a consultant to be allowed to have ideas like that.

Government IT doesnt exist anyway remember?

We are very good at the cyber :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
In any case bitcoin and its ilk is properly preferred to as "craptocurrency", thank you very much :colbert:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

eschaton posted:

Don't do this.

I am sorry to say that it's an actual jargon term in finance now. It pains me too.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Almost pulled the trigger a few times on a VR headset.

What stopped me:

a) No high production value Star Wars/Medieval game where I get to hold a lightsaber/sword and duel against some other person or AI.

b) No high production value shooter game where I get to aim down the sights for real and blast other people/zombies/bears/whatever away.

c) No high production value airplane/space game that's more than 3 hours long where I get to sit in the cockpit and blow things away.

All of these 'games' exist apparently in some form or another, but they are all early access 1-2 hour tech demos with no playerbase that will likely never get updated significantly beyond the initial release.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Avalanche posted:

a) No high production value Star Wars/Medieval game where I get to hold a lightsaber/sword and duel against some other person or AI.
Short of hydraulics holding your 'sword' in place I'm not sure how feasible this really is.

quote:

c) No high production value airplane/space game that's more than 3 hours long where I get to sit in the cockpit and blow things away.
There's Elite: Dangerous. It's really sandboxy but it's still quite pretty and you can get into plenty of fighting if you want. Still under active development.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

eschaton posted:

Don't do this.

Or more correctly cryptology, which covers both encoding (cryptography) and decoding (cryptanalysis)

:goonsay:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

exmachina posted:

Or more correctly cryptology, which covers both encoding (cryptography) and decoding (cryptanalysis)

:goonsay:

Unfortunately, it appears bitcoin can't be cleared up with standard levels of chlorine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Weatherman posted:

In any case bitcoin and its ilk is properly preferred to as "craptocurrency", thank you very much :colbert:

"crapto" is an abbreviation I can get behind.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cicero posted:

Short of hydraulics holding your 'sword' in place I'm not sure how feasible this really is.

Wasn't that the idea behind Neal Stephenson's startup?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

we have amazingly powerful clusters being constructed

for the sole purpose of acquiring internet funbux

Sometimes I lie awake at night and think about how cool it is that we're shifting resources and energy from the future to the present, ensuring future generations will live a permanently diminished lifestyle, to literally make fake money that doesn't exist. Mining coal, burning it, spewing mercury into the ocean, to make Ethereum.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Oculus hosed up a lot of things, but they were right in thinking that if consumer's first VR experience was cheap and lovely, then they would write off the whole thing. This led to their ridiculous barrier to entry, which hosed them over, but it's clear that a lot of people who poo poo on VR obviously only tried some piece of poo poo on their phone, or maybe PS VR (which is pretty lovely tbh). Oculus and Vive are a completely different thing, but their status as pretty niche peripherals let garbage hardware poison the well. The software offering is still pretty bad, but the hardware really does work.

The quality on Oculus and Vive is good enough that after a bit of time your perception of the 3D image "pops" (in the same way a magic-eye picture pops into focus) and suddenly everything on screen becomes real---it's not whether it looks realistic or not, it's that you no longer perceive it as images as display, but instead as the world around you. This is why you get funny videos of people trying to lean on trees or sit in chairs in VR and falling over---part of their brain has forgotten that this isn't reality. Google Cardboard isn't going to do this poo poo.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 1, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slanderer posted:

Oculus hosed up a lot of things, but they were right in thinking that if consumer's first VR experience was cheap and lovely, then they would write off the whole thing.

true, i tried it 23 years ago and was not impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Imyn6QSq9s

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Anthony Levandowski didn’t make a deal with Uber until he was protected against possible lawsuits

Headline is something that had already come out a few weeks earlier, but the juicy bit is in the article.

quote:

An email between Poetzscher and Kalanick included in today’s filing shows the executive asking whether the now former CEO promised indemnity to Levandowski and Ron. The email was dated in the days between when Levandowski resigned from Alphabet and officially formed Otto.

This Levandowski guy must be one amazing designer to create ORIGINAL DESIGN DO NOT STEAL self-driving components worth $millions within days of leaving Google's self-driving division. :allears:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

call to action posted:

Sometimes I lie awake at night and think about how cool it is that we're shifting resources and energy from the future to the present, ensuring future generations will live a permanently diminished lifestyle, to literally make fake money that doesn't exist. Mining coal, burning it, spewing mercury into the ocean, to make Ethereum.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

You know how even though Snap went public, they never actually gave any control of the company over to public shareholders? Well, the S&P Dow Jones Indices aren't too fond of that and will be barring Snap from most of their indices.

Snap is falling again as Wall Street worries about the company's corporate structure

quote:

But its founders' white-knuckled grip on voting rights is far from Snap's only challenge at the moment.

The company's lockup period is coming to an end, with potential to flood the market with up to 400 million shares owned by early insiders and employees. Snap's first-quarter financial results showed fewer users and less revenue than analysts expected, amid a steep net loss.

A tumbling share price — it's fallen nearly 40 percent over the past 3 months — has left the stock at all-time lows this week. And analysts, even from banks that underwrote the IPO, have questioned Snap's competitive edge against Facebook (which, by the way, also has a unique share structure).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snap is utterly hosed but i will always thank them for free tickets to Hamilton.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Azerban posted:

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Source your quotes, Chairman.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Half-wit posted:

Source your quotes, Chairman.

Enough of your veiled threats!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
We are living in a Democratic/Free Market/Wealth setup, too bad the game will end before we get to future societies

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Snap is utterly hosed but i will always thank them for free tickets to Hamilton.

Instagram Stories turns 1 as daily use surpasses Snapchat

quote:

If Facebook’s goal was stop Snap in its tracks, it’s largely succeeded with Instagram Stories. Snapchat’s monthly active user growth rate has plummeted from 17.2% per quarter to just 5%, while Snap’s share price has fallen from its $17 IPO to $13. Instagram Stories now has 250 million daily users compared to Snapchat’s 166 million. Instagram’s usage per day beats the “more than 30 minutes per day” of usage Snapchat claims on average now, as well as the over 30 minutes per day for under 25s and 20 minutes per day for over 25s Snap cited in its IPO filing.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Come on they still got the big sexting demographic all locked up

JailTrump fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 2, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Slanderer posted:

Oculus hosed up a lot of things, but they were right in thinking that if consumer's first VR experience was cheap and lovely, then they would write off the whole thing. This led to their ridiculous barrier to entry, which hosed them over, but it's clear that a lot of people who poo poo on VR obviously only tried some piece of poo poo on their phone, or maybe PS VR (which is pretty lovely tbh).

I've used Oculus and Vive. They're amazing, wow, incredible, holy poo poo. For your first 5 or 10 times. Then at some point you've tried most of the coolest things and are left with a bunch of stuff that gets old real fast. Shooting galleries, VR pong, and multiplayer with empty lobbies.

What VR hosed up on:
1) The games. Facebook bought oculus for a cool billion. Valve has stupid amounts of money. Don't be tight. A lot of the games are lackluster because they've got very limited budgets, which is the reason a lot of games are very similar. Those things are cheap to make. If the companies with money had opened the wallets there'd be better stuff.
2) In-fighting. About a year before the headsets released, when the hypetrain was at full steam, the companies working on VR stopped the previous co-operation on stuff like interoperability and standard libraries, and started closing their systems off. They saw the hype and thought they had a sure success, so started competing for first place instead. Bad move.
3) Valve pushing room-scale on the first generation. Don't get me wrong, room-scale is amazing and has way more wow factor. But I think it was a mistake to make that leap on the first wave. It's harder to make games for, the space required is hard for many people, the cord issue sucks, and it split the market. Room-scale amplified the "wow to disappointed" feeling a lot of people have.

I tried a DK1 years ago and was convinced I'd buy one of the first release-quality VR headsets. The escalating costs and weak results have made me glad that I have friends-of-friends who bought in instead of me. VR is still amazing. As long as someone else spends the $800.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It seems like the winner will be whoever releases the first AAA quality game that uses VR as an essential component. Tech demos and small scale projects can only get you so far, now that the tech is there someone needs to make something that mass market consumers will pay hundreds of dollars to play. Have any of the large game studios made a public commitment to develop something major for a specific technology?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Konstantin posted:

Have any of the large game studios made a public commitment to develop something major for a specific technology?

PSVR had resident evil in VR, which people said was actually really good. Bethesda is doing Fallout in VR, but of course they have beef with oculus/facebook so they're gonna make it Vive-only, lol.

But no, nobody is onboard to put major money behind anything original that's made for VR first. Which is smart, you'd have to be crazy to look at the potential market of a couple million headsets and spend AAA money. That's why I blame the real stakeholders, who have money coming out the rear end, for not stepping up to the plate.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ace Combat 7 in VR might be good.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Klyith posted:

But no, nobody is onboard to put major money behind anything original that's made for VR first. Which is smart, you'd have to be crazy to look at the potential market of a couple million headsets and spend AAA money. That's why I blame the real stakeholders, who have money coming out the rear end, for not stepping up to the plate.

What's so crazy about it? It's a market of guaranteed sales if the product is AAA level, and most AAA games struggle to move more than a couple million units anyways. The top selling game this year is Zelda at 3 Million, RE7 sold 2M, the new Call of Duty sold a whopping 1m.

Potential install base is not the problem here, really.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Rime posted:

What's so crazy about it? It's a market of guaranteed sales if the product is AAA level, and most AAA games struggle to move more than a couple million units anyways. The top selling game this year is Zelda at 3 Million, RE7 sold 2M, the new Call of Duty sold a whopping 1m.

Haha, what? No. That is not how anything works. The only real AAA Switch title is Zelda and there have still still been 50% more Switches sold than Zelda games. A single AAA title is not going to capture the entire anemic VR install base, especially given the fragmentation and the saturation of existing crap on the market. The titles you are speaking of can rely on franchise weight and a long generational sales tail, bundles, loss leader status, etc. etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rime posted:

the new Call of Duty sold a whopping 1m.
ummmmm, you might wanna recheck that one.

But for your actual point: zelda BOTW is your most optimistic comparison for lots of sales on a limited install base. That is not a number that anyone making money decisions should be looking to replicate. First, it's a really great game. Everyone would like to make the best game possible, but you shouldn't make plans around having a historically great one. Secondly, its attach is an incredible anomaly, so much that it was a news story in itself.

But third and most importantly, you need to understand how a big publisher works (this is true for not just games btw, also movies and books). Nobody is putting big AAA budget into a game that will sell 2m units max. If it does sell that much, well fine. It's earned back the studio budget, those guys get to make another game, and the publisher profits a little bit on the long tail. But they're always aiming higher. Because somebody has to sell enough to pay for the disasters, the flops, and the bad decisions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rime posted:

Uh, the latest Call of Duty (Infinite Warfare) sold 1.8 million copies in its first 7 days alone, including preorder sales. Where did you get the idea it only sold 1 million copies total?

Also no, the top selling game this year is probably Minecraft, they moved 15 million new copies of it between June 2016 and February 2017, the last two times Microsoft announced sales figures, it's likely continuing to sell about as well. Or maybe it's the latest Pokemon game, which has turned over 15 million copies sold since it was released in November 2016.

Attempting to gather in the like 5 million people who have any modern VR system at all would be a fool's game, a lot of them are still using low quality goggles, or using systems that simply strap on a phone as the screen and source of the rendering, or they're simply using barely adequate hardware, or even using a plain PS4. You're not going to get a similarly stunning VR-justified AAA game trying to target all those things, Zelda could sell so well among a limited number of Switches because every Switch is guarenteed to be able to handle the game.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The point isn't to make a AAA game for people that already have VR, it's to make one so popular that people will be lining up to buy VR systems just for that game. It will take a lot of money and be extremely risky, but whoever does it will have the entire market, since few people will buy two incompatible VR systems. It's a nine figure bet with a ten figure payoff, and there are very few companies that can pull it off, but it's really the only way the technology takes off.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if they're trying to market VR as a bleeding-edge pc enthusiast thing, doesn't it run into the problem that it has zero scalability with the rest of the market?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

A big flaming stink posted:

if they're trying to market VR as a bleeding-edge pc enthusiast thing, doesn't it run into the problem that it has zero scalability with the rest of the market?

It occupies this really awkward place in it being impressive but not '$900 and dedicated space in your room' impressive. Like as a monitor with head tracking alone it's not impressive enough, but then you do room scale VR and suddenly whose into dedicating the space for it for what are tech demos.

As it stands it's journalist bait for people who live and breathe trendy tech poo poo, but as a practical entertainment product it's just... not. Whether they'll ever figure out how to make it a practical & valuable entertainment product remains to be seen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Konstantin posted:

The point isn't to make a AAA game for people that already have VR, it's to make one so popular that people will be lining up to buy VR systems just for that game. It will take a lot of money and be extremely risky, but whoever does it will have the entire market, since few people will buy two incompatible VR systems. It's a nine figure bet with a ten figure payoff, and there are very few companies that can pull it off, but it's really the only way the technology takes off.

Good quality VR requires at least $500 in the headset/controllers, another huge chunk of money for a powerful computer or maybe a high end game console, and most importantly, a pretty big chunk of clear space in the same room for most of the immersive ones versus "sit in a chair while the world moves around you" sort of games. It's not something you can get people to buy in the millions and millions just off the back of One Game.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Good quality VR requires at least $500 in the headset/controllers, another huge chunk of money for a powerful computer or maybe a high end game console, and most importantly, a pretty big chunk of clear space in the same room for most of the immersive ones versus "sit in a chair while the world moves around you" sort of games. It's not something you can get people to buy in the millions and millions just off the back of One Game.

Also there's the problem it can't degrade very well. Most all new AAA games will run on older computers, you just gotta crank the quality settings down and be OK with lower fps. That doesn't really work with VR which makes it hard to sell a high budget VR specific game in the bulk needed.

I own an oculus (and a PC powerful enough to run it) and think it's a really cool piece of tech with a lot of potential, but I still haven't used it in months cause so far I'd much rather just play witcher 3 or xcom 2 on my monitor than anything available for it.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Rime posted:

the new Call of Duty sold a whopping 1m.
In the first week. It had a big drop compared to previous entries but that's a huge understatement.

Edit: oh i'm like the fourth person to pick out that detail i guess

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Konstantin posted:

That only works out if the company that makes the game is the same as the one that makes the VR system. Which is why it has to be facebook or valve that puts the money in, but both were reluctant to go whole hog. Perhaps because they were riding their own hypetrain and thought there'd be a ton of games coming out anyways (which at one point looked like the case, there were a fuckton of announcements the year before launch) -- or perhaps because they could see the pre-order numbers and knew that gen 1 was too small to invest that money in.

But also, it's not always true that you win and get the mega millions payout. Sometimes it's not VHS vs Betamax, it's actually minidisc vs digital cassette. ie your tech isn't as cool as you think it is and in the long run you're both losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

A big flaming stink posted:

Yes.

It's already a problem that prima donna PC game developers work very hard at making games for next year's top hardware that only really run on this and last year's hardware because GPU vendors rewrite their rendering pipelines via the drivers. Every one of those developers thinks "People will buy a new card for our game!" and only occasionally is one right.

Now instead of a few hundred dollar GPU we're talking about (for what passes as high quality in consumer VR, about 1K2 per eye) a thousand or more dollars of combined headgear, card, and system, plus an environment conducive to their use.

Pretty goddamn unlikely.