Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

Was it a SVT reporter? I feel they sometimes have an obsession to be extra harsh against leftist politicans due to the whole "SVT is leftist propagande" thing that people keep harping on.

In Denmark, this line of attack has been going on for at least 20-30 years, years and eventually, at least partially caused the recent dismantling of the public tv channel in Denmark. Accusing them of being left wing propaganda every time they had a reasonable, “let’s try and look at the facts” pierce of journalism on immigration, or similar subjects, where right wing thrives on people’s ignorance and fear. This is despite them being incredibly weak sauce on a bunch of things. Like when Pia claimed, in prime time on the most hard hitting tv news program in dk, that the UN had become was a Muslim conspiracy to overtake the vest, there was just *crickets* and “let’s move on to something else” from the so-called journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
As someone who’s main source of news in Swedish is SVT.se, and also someone who usually votes V, I have to say, I don’t see any of this legendary pandering the left gets from them. I mean sure I can buy that a lot of SVT employees (especially those working in cultural sectors) veer left on the political scale, but the news reporting is a far cry from the “ostrich-head in the sand” about societal problems that SD and their ilk wants to make them out to be.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that sort of whining is a non-trivial part of the whole mt. pelerin society strategy to delegitimise social institutions that it's difficult to outright align with pecuniary interests - even when they've brought public broadcasters in line as in the UK it's still tactically useful for them to insist that public broadcasters and journalism as a profession is inherently slanted towards the left and that this must be corrected somehow.

it's true that journalists in general are relatively left-leaning. it's true that editors in general are relatively right-leaning. asserting that this means that the news is going to be covered from a left-wing standpoint is conspiratorial nonsense; the news is covered according to what a market or pseudo-market system decides that the consumers are willing to pay for as value for their money. there are cases where the public broadcaster gets caught up in groupthink, but these are usually cases like fawning over US democratic presidents, which si hardly a hallmark of hard-left inclinations

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Bered er på en lavin av ”Löfven faller tidigt i år” från twitterhögern.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Svettige svettsarn

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Löfven should demand trial by combat.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ebba är så otroligt bitter att hon inte blev född i USA, hon önskar verkligen att hon hade en republikansk griftmaskin att utnyttja just nu.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Whelp, I’m glad that this is the first time I really feel like I have a good grasp of Swedish politics.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

”Det är en historisk dag”, forever and ever

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I kind of enjoy swedish pols LARP:ing a crisis though

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

BigglesSWE posted:

Ebba är så otroligt bitter att hon inte blev född i USA, hon önskar verkligen att hon hade en republikansk griftmaskin att utnyttja just nu.

Hennes tal lät som en Googleöversättning av någon amerikansk högerpolitiker. "Hjärtland" lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

Hennes tal lät som en Googleöversättning av någon amerikansk högerpolitiker. "Hjärtland" lol

It’s terrible and I wish she wouldn’t. It just makes the thinly veiled fashy rhetoric cringy. You have your own language, make up your own terminology.

Anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0uX2sZuFg

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Så vad tror ni Kristersson erbjuder Lööf? Utförsäljning av Systembolaget?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am quite happy that C's hubris of wanting to be part of the regering while at the same time refusing to acknowledge that they're only able to push their politics through with the passive acceptance of V finally bit them in the rear end. All of this could have been avoided if C had decided to face reality, rather than stay in their neoliberal fantasy world.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Så vad tror ni Kristersson erbjuder Lööf? Utförsäljning av Systembolaget?

Privatisering av försvaret.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Fader Movitz posted:

Löfven should demand trial by combat.

Him v Nooshi would be a site to behold.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

it's true that journalists in general are relatively left-leaning. it's true that editors in general are relatively right-leaning. asserting that this means that the news is going to be covered from a left-wing standpoint is conspiratorial nonsense; the news is covered according to what a market or pseudo-market system decides that the consumers are willing to pay for as value for their money. there are cases where the public broadcaster gets caught up in groupthink, but these are usually cases like fawning over US democratic presidents, which si hardly a hallmark of hard-left inclinations

It's also true that most of the journalists that actually cover politics are right-leaning.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Star posted:

I am quite happy that C's hubris of wanting to be part of the regering while at the same time refusing to acknowledge that they're only able to push their politics through with the passive acceptance of V finally bit them in the rear end. All of this could have been avoided if C had decided to face reality, rather than stay in their neoliberal fantasy world.

If only Ø had had the courage to do the same in instead of letting B pressure Thorning-Schmidt into <doing what she probably would've done anyway>

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Löfven is really going to make us wait for the governement to "evaluate their options" insted of sacking up and stepping down. How does he imagine this could gain them an advantage?

Never mind the fact that they must've gamed this out in advance and should already have a plan in place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It's also true that most of the journalists that actually cover politics are right-leaning.

I mean there aren't more than a handful of genuine salaried political analysts while there are scores of opinion writers picked straight from right-wing youth-parties.

jeebus bob posted:

Löfven is really going to make us wait for the governement to "evaluate their options" insted of sacking up and stepping down. How does he imagine this could gain them an advantage?

Never mind the fact that they must've gamed this out in advance and should already have a plan in place.

They very clearly haven't.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Lmao this owns. Gave up on swepol being interesting when Sjöstedt almost cried cause they weren't included in the new gov and still wouldn't do anything to assert themselves. This owns.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

jeebus bob posted:

There's a more than 0% chance that S, C, L and MP takes this opportunity to remake a similar deal as the previous one, but watered down, as none of them are really wishing for a new election this year. Then declare a new S government actively supported by C and MP, remove some of the harsher clauses of the January deal, including the free market rents (which most C voters don't want) and get passive support from V and L. This might actually be the plan S have had for a while, as the January deal is awful for them. The big question is if C are too confident and singleminded to allow it.

OR, everyone will shout at each other over Summer and we'll get a snap election in Fall. We'll see.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sabuni doing her damndest to pretend L would totally not be turbofucked in an extra election.

Doubling down on her wanting a conservative government.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don’t think L will be willing to support another year of a S government. That would be a flip flop of epic proportions and probably drain the party of their last 2% voters.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The biggest “gently caress you” Löfven could sent to Sabuni is to call an extra election immediately because while S would get a beating (most likely) L would be utterly thrown out (almost certainly).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

I don’t think L will be willing to support another year of a S government. That would be a flip flop of epic proportions and probably drain the party of their last 2% voters.

But they probably want a snap election even less, they are currently just stuck between a rock and a hard place while wishing hard that C will see the light and support an M-KD-L-SD government.

Miljöpartiet and Liberalerna was just completely neutered as political powers.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Lööf seem to have tweeted that she’s still ok with Löfven and Januariavtalet.

Nooshi says V won’t vote for a blue/brown government, no surprise and good for them. She’s essentially saying that by striking markmadshyrorna Stefan could be back in his seat. I guess it all depends on how hungry Lööf really is for that stupid reform that literally no one other than her wants.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I really can’t believe that all of this hinges on something that is so boldface detrimental to the housing crisis and something so vastly loving unpopular and yet, here we are. Keep loving that chicken I guess.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

teen witch posted:

I really can’t believe that all of this hinges on something that is so boldface detrimental to the housing crisis and something so vastly loving unpopular and yet, here we are. Keep loving that chicken I guess.

My guess is that C and S kind of banked on voters not being very tuned in the politics in between election years, and that this issue would be dealt with with some angry huffing from. V at worst.

At this point I’d give it up, since V has very successfully showcased just how detrimental the reform would be, to pretty much everyone who isn’t making a living out of squishing money out of people who are just trying to live indoors. I feel like doubling down on this now would be very bad press, but Lööf has tasted that sweet blood of svenska modellen, and she’s hungry for more.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

One should remember that C have no actual need to go along with S+MP+V, especially if C need to give up their political goals. A S+MP+V government is still dependent on C for any budget.
Why they should give up the political goals to keep S in power is a good question to ask. Especially since they would be able to get these goals through by going to M+KD+SD.
From a voter perspective, C is doing exactly what their voters want so they are not going to get hurt in an extra election.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cardiac posted:

One should remember that C have no actual need to go along with S+MP+V, especially if C need to give up their political goals. A S+MP+V government is still dependent on C for any budget.
Why they should give up the political goals to keep S in power is a good question to ask. Especially since they would be able to get these goals through by going to M+KD+SD.
From a voter perspective, C is doing exactly what their voters want so they are not going to get hurt in an extra election.

One problem for C is that marknadshyror is not a popular policy, even among voters on the right. So this is clearly a top-down fight even within C that Lööf probably didn't want too much scrutiny into to begin with. That's a clear difference compared to LAS, which more right wing voters are negative towards. Selling their voters the idea that killing LAS is worth anything is easy for her. Selling the idea that hiking their rents up, especially when C has made so much inroads in Stockholm (where rents will easily go up 4 000- 5 000/month if deregulated) is harder.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Star posted:

Isn't this a win win for C though? Either push through reform they want, or they get to make a coalition with the blue-browns and push through reforms they want.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

Isn't this a win win for C though? Either push through reform they want, or they get to make a coalition with the blue-browns and push through reforms they want.

I am not sure that C can join a blue-brown coalition considering their extreme posturing against SD which has led to their gaining voters from L. But who knows, maybe it's just a question of getting enough concessions.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I cannot see C doing a turnaround and collaborating with SD. Annie Lööf has built her entire persona on being the anti-SD liberal Messiah.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I also think that Löfven has slightly underestimated his leverage over C because of that. It's not like C can easily join the brown-blue coalition without losing at least some face so the alternative to dealing with S and having some influence is to be isolated in "the middle" (even though C is definitely something different than in the middle).

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
C and V are probably ultimately fiiine with a snap election so there is no way for Löfven to win that particular chicken race either.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

One problem for C is that marknadshyror is not a popular policy, even among voters on the right. So this is clearly a top-down fight even within C that Lööf probably didn't want too much scrutiny into to begin with. That's a clear difference compared to LAS, which more right wing voters are negative towards. Selling their voters the idea that killing LAS is worth anything is easy for her. Selling the idea that hiking their rents up, especially when C has made so much inroads in Stockholm (where rents will easily go up 4 000- 5 000/month if deregulated) is harder.

Well, today’s event wasn’t really about marknadshyror anyways.
Sjöstedt would have folded during the weekend, so kudos to V for going the whole way.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

C and V are probably ultimately fiiine with a snap election so there is no way for Löfven to win that particular chicken race either.

MP and L are the real worries. I expect SD/M/KD to be at about the same levels they were last election.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

it's true that journalists in general are relatively left-leaning.
Is it? Like, are the recent studies showing this? Also, as Alhazred says, which ones? A left-leaning sports reporter does not have the same impact as a right-leaning politics reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

In short: While some have complained about response rates and sample sizes, there is a stable over-representations of MP (greens) and V (left) among Swedish journalists, and an under-representation of M/SD.
https://research.chalmers.se/publication/518198/file/518198_Fulltext.pdf

Stats for Norway:

https://kyber.blob.core.windows.net/nmd/2978/medievaner-alle-grupper_rapport_2020.pdf

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2021