Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ohh, speaking of the SNES mini. Was it possible to run the NES mini on a CRT via HDMI-Component adapters? If so, do you guys think the SNES will?

HDMI-component will convert HDMI to component, doesn't really matter what you're supplying to it. So I can't imagine why it wouldn't work? Maybe with some input lag depending upon your HDMI-component solution.

Light guns aren't going to work but they wouldn't anyways and neither NES classic or SNES classic comes with light gun games anyways, so you'd have to mod it to begin with and then how'd you get the input...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
While it was fine for the NES mini it annoys me that there isn't a lil cart in the SNES mini.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

What do you guys think the chances of the SNES Classic being 1080p instead of 720p like the NES Classic?

Believe it or not I think it's supposedly better to run those games in 720. Something to do with it multiplying properly to 4k or something like that. Maybe that's why Nintendo did it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A Wii has actual GameCube internals along side the Wii's. Backups will work like they were discs on actual hardware. No emulation. Think of it like the Game Boy Advance's ability to play Game Boy games.

Edit: Should mention that later revisions of the Wii (including the Wii Mini) removed GameCube backwards compatibility. So do some research before buying one if you haven't yet. But it's pretty hard to find one without it since so many of them were sold. Basically anything with the GameCube ports on the Wii is OK.

For the later model, the RVL-101, they removed the GameCube controller and memory card ports as well as the ability for the optical drive to take 8cm and 12cm disks.

However, Nintendont will still work with GameCube backups if you use a classic controller pro. Same with a Wii U and you get HDMI output.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is the first-ever official re-release for Yoshi's Island and Star Fox, right? I know that Nintendo has had trouble with recreating Super FX Chip graphics and that's why we've had to wait so long for them to come here. And I didn't know that they actually finished Star Fox 2.

I'm definitely interested in getting the SNES Mini.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the listing for the Castlevania-free SFC Mini, exclusive titles in bold: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2017/170627.html

Earthbound, Super Punch-Out, Kirby's Dream Course or Super Castlevania IV are exclusive to the SNES version.
I remembered all those years when Japan would get Mother 1+2 for GBA and the West wouldn't, when their version of Smash Bros. Brawl had an Earthbound preview game and ours didn't, and how they got Mother 2 on Virtual Console years before it came back to North America (and officially released for the first time ever in the PAL regions) in 2013. Finally, the worm has turned.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

get that OUT of my face posted:

This is the first-ever official re-release for Yoshi's Island and Star Fox, right? I know that Nintendo has had trouble with recreating Super FX Chip graphics and that's why we've had to wait so long for them to come here. And I didn't know that they actually finished Star Fox 2.

Yoshi's Island got a GBA port and that version has been re-released once or twice but otherwise, yeah.

Poor ol' Stunt Race FX is nowhere to be seen...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why do you need anything higher than 720p for these things anyway?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Kodilynn posted:

Picked this up on Saturday and I'm super happy with it. Been playing it off and on over the weekend. The seller mentioned doing a VGA conversion cable and picking up an LCD monitor for it, but I'm fine with all original parts. The minor purple hue doesn't bother me at all as it really is barely visible. The screen burn is defenitely there though haha.

Congrats on getting the cheapest version of Snow Bros.!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mak0rz posted:

Reasons

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh right silly me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On second thought, how do you include two controllers but not Turtles in Time.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

On second thought, how do you include two controllers but not Turtles in Time.

Licensing. That poo poo and the arcade game didn't even hit Virtual Console, though the first NES game did for a brief time where the other parties involved besides Nintendo had as much of a vested interest as they ever would in re-releasing the old TMNT games. Things have changed since then, and it's just not likely to be worthwhile to pursue on Nintendo's part just for this.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mak0rz posted:

Because just about everyone has at least a 1080p TV, and TV upscalers suck butt. Granted most of them do 720p scaling just fine, and as others have said 720 to 4k is great, but still.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 27, 2017

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
Picked this up for $3 today:

It's just a bog-standard PlayStation PAR clone, same menu and feature set as my Gold Finger, but for 3 bucks I'm not complaining. It doesn't look like it's been used at all!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

While it was fine for the NES mini it annoys me that there isn't a lil cart in the SNES mini.

Make it look like a 20-in-1 pirate cart.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Make it look like a 20-in-1 pirate cart.

I don't think they can get the Robocop license.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Congrats on getting the cheapest version of Snow Bros.!

Yeah free was an awesome price.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm sure someone will 3D print a half mini cart that you can stick on top.

So, speaking of the SNES, I've been taking apart some broken ones lately to eventually build a Retropie inside one with the buttons and controller ports wired up once I can collect an intact enough shell. There's just one oddity I've noticed that I'm hoping someone else has run into.

When I'm unscrewing the corner screws, a lot of the time the threaded part of the top half of the shell will tear itself apart. The two that I've taken apart have both had a lot of cracks on those corners, so maybe it was weakened anyway, or it may just be that the plastic is especially brittle at this point.

Has anyone else run into that, and is it avoidable? When I get my hands on an uncracked one, I was thinking of squirting a little bit of WD-40 around the screw to see if maybe that'll loosen it somewhat and prevent that from happening, but it seems like a long shot. Heating the plastic a little seems like something that might also work, but I'm not sure I can heat it enough from the outside to make a difference without messing it up otherwise.

Worst case, the two center screws that go into the cartridge bay have been fine every time, but I was hoping to chop off part of that plastic to make room inside, so having most of the corner screws functional would be ideal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
WD40 is a water displacer... you're just making it greasy and weird. If it was a metal on metal thing, I could see a use for penetrating oil, but the screws used to secure the two halves are self tapping screws that thread themselves into the plastic posts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Has anyone else run into that, and is it avoidable?

I've encountered it, though I don't know of any way to avoid or restore it. Some plastics just become extremely brittle over time.

Okay, I can think of one way to avoid it since there's a safe bet on the kind of chemical reaction that's occurring. All you have to do is go back in time to 1993, buy a new SNES, and then keep it in a pure nitrogen environment. Also, keep it out of the light, though I don't think that's what's occurring here.

Actually, come to think of it a bit further, the reaction is probably occurring within the plastic involving things in the manufacturing process since I don't think it's oxygen permeable. I would bet that some chemist out there has actually done experiments with that kind of plastic to see how the reactions go over time, but I am far too lazy to actually do the research when the answer that matters to us is that there's likely nothing that can be done practically to prevent it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I only took one materials science course, but plasticity (not the polymer) refers to the irreversible deformation iirc. Plastics (the thing) can't really be "restored" or "fixed" in the same way you can with metals or composites.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

I'm sure someone will 3D print a half mini cart that you can stick on top.

So, speaking of the SNES, I've been taking apart some broken ones lately to eventually build a Retropie inside one with the buttons and controller ports wired up once I can collect an intact enough shell. There's just one oddity I've noticed that I'm hoping someone else has run into.

When I'm unscrewing the corner screws, a lot of the time the threaded part of the top half of the shell will tear itself apart. The two that I've taken apart have both had a lot of cracks on those corners, so maybe it was weakened anyway, or it may just be that the plastic is especially brittle at this point.

Has anyone else run into that, and is it avoidable? When I get my hands on an uncracked one, I was thinking of squirting a little bit of WD-40 around the screw to see if maybe that'll loosen it somewhat and prevent that from happening, but it seems like a long shot. Heating the plastic a little seems like something that might also work, but I'm not sure I can heat it enough from the outside to make a difference without messing it up otherwise.

Worst case, the two center screws that go into the cartridge bay have been fine every time, but I was hoping to chop off part of that plastic to make room inside, so having most of the corner screws functional would be ideal.

Get some of this : https://sugru.com/about

Wrap it around and plug it into the posts that no longer hold the screws.

Wait for it to dry and put some Krazy Glue over it to make it even harder. Either drill a tiny hole and use the original screws, or don't drill a tiny hole and just use small regular screw that are similar in size and have a pointy end on them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Twenty pages ago (sorry, I am trying to catch up) but this is exactly the case for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Every single one of them has their own gigantic problems that the other version does not have. N64 one has all the characters, but looks shittier and has way worse sound. The PS1 version has awful loading and is missing characters and fatalities. The DOS and Windows ports are just ports of the PS1 version.

I really wish someone would make a perfect version of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You don't need to own any version because they're all weird but the N64 version is the one MK diehards still play - the other versions are basically just UMK3 with extra poo poo crammed in but the N64 version has system-level changes that affect the balance of the game in ways that higher-level players seem to prefer.
Twenty more pages later, but I can elaborate if anyone cares. The n64 version is actually the one with less characters, due to the limited cartridge space. They mostly just cut the alternate versions of characters (on PS1 you could press select on Kung Lao and get his MKII version, for example). And since UMK3 already had two versions of Sub Zero, they removed the unmasked version with the unique sprite and gave all his moves to the palette-swapped ninja version, creating a somewhat unique character colloquially known as "Super Sub-Zero."

To compensate they added in some exclusive fatalities for boss characters, and a unique stage or two. Of course it was all just slightly rearranged assets but it's cool that they bothered.

On the flip side the n64 had the benefit of faster cartridge RAM (or whatever the correct technical term is). So Shang Tsung could morph into anyone with no load time, and they added a third level to one of those multi-level stages while PS1 could only handle the MK3-standard two.

PS1 was more arcade-faithful all around as others have said, and had the most content asset-wise, with the major compromise being load times. With Shang's morphs you could either select a few morph-able characters before the fight (for a load-free battle) or just morph into anyone and deal with the loads.

As far as MK diehards, they largely ignore Trilogy and stick to MAME. However a decent scene has developed in some parts of South America for the n64 version specifically. I've also seen some recent interest in the US as people have come to notice how differently the n64 game plays. Its unfaithfulness to arcade physics kind of make it feel fresh.

Random Stranger posted:

The talk of unfinished RPG's is making me think of RPG's I will never go back to. Magna Carta (what is up with that name?) and Spectral Tower (gently caress doing a 10,000 floor dungeon; and for those not aware of this game, that number is not comedic exaggeration) top that list. The worst RPG I've played to completion has to be Blue Dragon; I swear I spent the last two-thirds of the game going, "Well, there can't be that much more of this stupid thing left so I might as well just finish."
Ha, Magna Carta is exactly what came to mind for me, before I even read the second sentence. It's the first RPG I ever outright stopped playing. Since then I think the only RPG I've abandoned was Xenoblade on Wii. In both cases the battle system just didn't click with me after giving it a fair ~20 hours. When I glanced at a guide and saw just how much time I had left in Xenobloade I was like "nah I'm good."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Magna Carta is just bad, you have to do a timing minigame for every attack and it's fairly specific, and if you whiff it at all you just miss. Shadow Hearts did what it was trying waaaaaay better.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the price of the nes classic is going to get worse since eventually there will be less and less on eBay or if they hype of the SNES classic in September is only going to make it worse as people will now want to have both. 

I really want one bad but I have two kids now and can't spend $250 on a $60 item haphazardly like that. I'm such an idiot too because my brother offered to pick one up for me and I said no thanks, I'll just get it when they are easily available. :sigh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd still rather just run these games through the Virtual Console on a Wii U or Switch if it gets implemented. Too bad a used Wii U is still $280 at Gamestop.

edit: oh woops I can get a used 32GB Wii U for $200 now.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's back up on Amazon UK! Hurry if you want it! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073BVHY3F//ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=soutes-21

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Star Man posted:

I'd still rather just run these games through the Virtual Console on a Wii U or Switch if it gets implemented. Too bad a used Wii U is still $280 at Gamestop.

If you don't own a WiiU and are considering one, get it now rather than later. They're only going to get harder to obtain as a complete set as time goes on once gamepads and consoles start breaking/dying individually.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Get some of this : https://sugru.com/about

Wrap it around and plug it into the posts that no longer hold the screws.

Wait for it to dry and put some Krazy Glue over it to make it even harder. Either drill a tiny hole and use the original screws, or don't drill a tiny hole and just use small regular screw that are similar in size and have a pointy end on them.

Cool, if the one I finally wind up using comes apart, this might work. Thanks!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you don't own a WiiU and are considering one, get it now rather than later. They're only going to get harder to obtain as a complete set as time goes on once gamepads and consoles start breaking/dying individually.

I know someone that wants to sell theirs. I will lose the bundled digital copy of Super Mario Maker when I can finally get it, but I can probably get it for better than what Gamestop is selling used Wii Us for.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Star Man posted:

Virtual console on Wii U apparently has really lousy image quality for some reason.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can I get a definition of lousy?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Google Wii U Virtual Console video problems, you should get some idea. Biggest complaint is soft picture and overly dark video from what I remember.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I think it's just for NES and SNES games, I believe GBA (and maybe DS?) were handled by someone else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

Also I think it's just for NES and SNES games, I believe GBA (and maybe DS?) were handled by someone else.

It's also a deliberate anti-seizure filter for all those nasty rapid flashing effects.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was honestly shocked how much better RGB/XRGB systems looked compared to their counterparts on the VC. N64 games I would imagine still look best on the VC though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also a deliberate anti-seizure filter for all those nasty rapid flashing effects.

I know they've made specific adjustments to like the Donkey Kong Country games to remove that blinding flash in some stages but was that ever cited as the official reason for the generic darkening filter?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

I know they've made specific adjustments to like the Donkey Kong Country games to remove that blinding flash in some stages but was that ever cited as the official reason for the generic darkening filter?

I think it's something generally assumed because of the deliberate effort to remove things like the flashing effects in Earthbound and Donkey Kong Country. It's a catch-all for edge cases like, say, a flashing sprite that only occurs when you do A Thing in Level 4 that hardly anyone knows about.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
also some games that display natively on devices that use scan lines used flashing to achieve effects on interlaced devices that look abrasive on deinterlaced displays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a disgusting urger to play Baku Baku; if I want to "stream" it from my PC to my TV, do you guys know if the steam link works well for that? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a NVidia Shield or something else?

• Locked thread