Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
To add to the previous response, Mr. Shifty is 3.6GB. I would not have guessed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Deviant posted:

Holy loly I thought I was good at tetris, and the Puyo demo AI is teaching me otherwise.

Time to fire up the tutorials

Although for whatever reason they cut interactive tutorials from PPT when every prior Puyo game released in the last decade has had them

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think the last Puyo game released stateside was Puyo Puyo Fever, which was back in like 2004.

So uh not like we know what we were missing

I got the PC version to play against people online. Japanese people crushed me consistently but I learned some good gimping strats

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I used to play a ton of kirby's avalanche, which is basically puyo puyo

im still bad at it tho. basically I'll try to do some chains and then I'll get some bad puyos dropped on me and everything goes out the window

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played puyo puyo.

I think the best competitive puzzle drop game ever is Dr Mario

Will I like puyo puyo?

(I know, get the demo, I will but not till tomorrow probably)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kirby's Avalanche kinda sucks because there's no option to play with only 4 colors

Being stuck with 5 colors SUCKS unless you get good RNG

e: I think Dr. Mario is pretty much the worst mainstream puzzle game there is besides bejeweled. Puyo Puyo is fun if you manage to get a hang of chaining. Tetris Attack/Puzzle League is still the best puzzle game there is though

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Can't wait to get my Xenoblade 2 bundle at a yard sale for $10 and a small bag of weed in like, 7 years.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Not a Children posted:

Kirby's Avalanche kinda sucks because there's no option to play with only 4 colors

Being stuck with 5 colors SUCKS unless you get good RNG

e: I think Dr. Mario is pretty much the worst mainstream puzzle game there is besides bejeweled. Puyo Puyo is fun if you manage to get a hang of chaining. Tetris Attack/Puzzle League is still the best puzzle game there is though

Tetris Attack is GOAT.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Stan Taylor posted:

Tetris Attack is GOAT.

yea my fiancee will play 3 games: Stardew Valley, various kairosoft phone games, and Tetris Attack. I can beat her rear end in every game ever, EXCEPT tetris attack where she is a loving master. It's awesome

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I remember some comments about the rumble on this being kind of week. Zelda totally didn't crank it up much, Blaster Master feels like the things are going to shake right out of my hand when it gets going sheesh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do not beat your fiancé

There are laws against that sort of behaviour

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Do not beat your fiancé

There are laws against that sort of behaviour

nothing tests a potential marriage like mario party 2, should be required playing for all engaged couples

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I wonder if Jackbox will work at all undocked. I have all three Jackbox games, and I can't imagine 4+ people trying to crowd around the Switch's tiny screen while also keeping other people from seeing your phone screen.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I've never played Puyo Puyo and trying to set up chains in advance makes my brain feel bad and dumb :(

LethalGeek posted:

I remember some comments about the rumble on this being kind of week. Zelda totally didn't crank it up much, Blaster Master feels like the things are going to shake right out of my hand when it gets going sheesh.

Blaster Master's rumble can be intense but there's some really cool use of HD Rumble in it. I think my favorite so far is the caves in the underwater zone in the rooms with rushing water. You can feel the waves come and go by you with it and it's pretty cool. I'm hoping eventually we get some horror game that tries to use it. Imagine an Eternal Darkness sanity like effect where the player character imagines maggots crawling on their hands and then you can feel something similar with HD Rumble

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Time to fire up the tutorials

Although for whatever reason they cut interactive tutorials from PPT when every prior Puyo game released in the last decade has had them

poo poo is in japanese still, in the demos.

It's more that I don't get the rhythm of attacks in this, particularly not in Puyo v Tetris mode

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I won against the AI on puyo puyo Tetris in the mode where it keeps switching games! I am so proud of myself it took me 4 attempts on medium difficulty!!

I am hopefully getting some friends round at the weekend and i am sure it will be hilarious in 4 player mode.

I have preordered the physical copy but considering cancelling and going digital as it's the sort of game I can imagine playing in quick bursts.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
What's the verdict on Mr. Shifty?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Fremry posted:

Extremely average but since it's on a game starved system people will lap it up:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd hardly call Steam game starved.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Infinitum posted:

Quoting this for the top of the page if anyone is interested.

I might grab it tomorrow, but imma sleep on it first.

I picked it up and played for a bit, it's a fun if simple ARPG. worth the 500 yen but not really much more than that

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fremry posted:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Extremely average but since it's on a game starved system people will lap it up:

It's not bad. Dr. Tim isn't necessarily wrong about the game-starved system part, but I'm finding it visceral and satisfying as a pick up and play game.

I played one whole level so far. Not super far. I will say, I cannot tell if the little stutters I experience are artistic hit-slow effects or the game stuttering for performance reasons. Pretty minor, though.

It's not going to be anyones GOTY, but for a little 15 dollar time waster, it is, so far, entertaining.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Deviant posted:

poo poo is in japanese still, in the demos.

It's more that I don't get the rhythm of attacks in this, particularly not in Puyo v Tetris mode

So the important thing is that whenever Puyo gets hit with garbage, it falls from the top, which hinders your ability to connect with pieces you've already placed (as a secondary effect it also delays the next piece from spawning until the garbage settles). In Tetris the garbage rises from the bottom, and in an orderly fashion, so as long as you can clear lines fast enough you can survive indefinitely.

Puyo on the other hand deals exponentially rising damage as chain count increases. As a Puyo player your job in the matchup is to weather the frequent storm of garbage that Tetris sends until you can make a chain large enough that it's impossible for a Tetris player to downstack, about an 8 chain.

Since newbie players play slowly, Puyo basically has free reign to build their giant chains without harassment, leading to the common early sentiment that Puyo is overpowered.

Once you start playing against better Tetris players with higher APM and the ability to create T-Spin setups (these roughly double the amount of garbage sent compared to regular line clears), Puyo's dominance rapidly weakens to the point where it has almost no chance of winning unless the Tetris player commits an input error.

Although to be fair Tetris vs Tetris matches are also basically decided by who makes the input error first, so it might be more accurate to say that Puyo has no chance of winning against a good Tetris player

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2017

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Mini. I'd assume the Unicorn Tears that go into the production of them have all been used up.

Seriously, WTF? Are they worried it will cut into eshop sales or something?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Artificial scarcity!" say internet morons.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'd like to say I'm decent at Puyo Puyo (played Mean Bean Machine back in the day, still play not-quite-the-same-because-it's-better Tetris Attack), and actually pretty good at Tetris, but I've played a bit of human-on-human Puyo Tetris mode and the context changes absolutely destroy my flow.

It gives you a big timer and you know it's coming but my ability to remember what I was in the middle of 15 seconds ago is sorely lacking.

Seems like a good handicap for better players.

grand theft grotto posted:

To add to the previous response, Mr. Shifty is 3.6GB. I would not have guessed that.

Yikes, thanks. I think I'll relegate it to impulse-only-if-physical status.

Meanwhile I've gotta go make friends and then have them over so I can buy Jackbox.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Nintendo Switch subreddit did a thing a few weeks back asking folks to rank their most desired (unannounced) franchises/games for Switch. They dump the results today I was surprised by the level of polish...

http://imgur.com/a/hgMOX

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Mini. I'd assume the Unicorn Tears that go into the production of them have all been used up.

While I haven't tried lining up at a store at 8am on a weekday morning, I have been actively trying to get one since November and have failed every time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Now those are really going to go up in value. Glad I'm not trying to get one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Nintendo Switch subreddit did a thing a few weeks back asking folks to rank their most desired (unannounced) franchises/games for Switch. They dump the results today I was surprised by the level of polish...

I am happy that Luigi's Mansion scored so high. Advance Wars made a good showing as well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

So the important thing is that whenever Puyo gets hit with garbage, it falls from the top, which hinders your ability to connect with pieces you've already placed (as a secondary effect it also delays the next piece from spawning until the garbage settles). In Tetris the garbage rises from the bottom, and in an orderly fashion, so as long as you can clear lines fast enough you can survive indefinitely.

Puyo on the other hand deals exponentially rising damage as chain count increases. As a Puyo player your job in the matchup is to weather the frequent storm of garbage that Tetris sends until you can make a chain large enough that it's impossible for a Tetris player to downstack, about an 8 chain.

Since newbie players play slowly, Puyo basically has free reign to build their giant chains without harassment, leading to the common early sentiment that Puyo is overpowered.

Once you start playing against better Tetris players with higher APM and the ability to create T-Spin setups (these roughly double the amount of garbage sent compared to regular line clears), Puyo's dominance rapidly weakens to the point where it has almost no chance of winning unless the Tetris player commits an input error.

Although to be fair Tetris vs Tetris matches are also basically decided by who makes the input error first, so it might be more accurate to say that Puyo has no chance of winning against a good Tetris player

Well, I understand the basic mechanics, it's just that you have to play a bit differently as Tetris to beat Puyo players, since b2bs and chains are more important.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Do people really expect things like neu Doom and Battlefield on their Switch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm glad Rocket League and Overwatch are Top 10 games :allears:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo has been milking their fans with VC pretty much from the beginning.

Their newest console is starved for games, and while what it does have is EXCEEDINGLY good, it needs more.

They are going to ask 3 to 5 dollars for Super Mario Bros on the Switch, and people will gladly pay it. The NES mini offers a bunch of games that in some cases have been VC titles across multiple systems. The excuse here is that the NES Mini was always intended to be "collectible", so the end of production makes sense in that regard.

In reality, it does compete directly with Nintendo's handling of the VC concept. The NES Mini has also been compromised; it's apparently a fairly simple matter to just turn it into another emulation box.

Limiting people's purchase option may incense a few. And then you have the people who bought a Switch day one and will buy these games again without complaint save for those directed at others who find this kind of stuff distasteful. For Nintendo, it's another way to mitigate piracy on products they themselves produce. Given that the 3ds is broken wide open, i wouldn't be surprised to see VC support there come to a complete halt as the company shifts entirely over to the Switch. It hasn't been broken yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bet Nintendo will release another one with more games and longer controller cords by the way they worded the discontinuation announcement.

Even Nintendo isn't that dumb to just stop something so many people want.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
gently caress Nintendo for making retail even worse for the next month

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

lmao at Undertale making the list. Toby's said many times he has no plan to port it to other systems, mainly because it'd require a complete rewrite of the game since gamemaker is PC-only

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

whys nintendy hate making money

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

robodex posted:

lmao at Undertale making the list. Toby's said many times he has no plan to port it to other systems, mainly because it'd require a complete rewrite of the game since gamemaker is PC-only

also he probably has all the money and will never work again if he doesnt want to

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Deviant posted:

also he probably has all the money and will never work again if he doesnt want to

yeah that too, although i'm super happy for him. super nice kid, have known him for years online and briefly met him about 7 or 8 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:lol: :rip:

• Locked thread