Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought rent burdened was over 30% of gross, not net? Am I wrong, did it change, or what? In that case almost everyone around here doing unskilled work is rent burdened. I make a lot of money for someone my age and I couldn’t even afford an average 1-bedroom apartment in my less expensive town with my salary from a really expensive area. My friends that are in unskilled professions could maybe get a room in the cardboard box fort that crackheads live in behind their apartment complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's crazy what pre-2007 lenders considered reasonable.

Originators, not lenders. That paper was sold the day after closing. HOT POTATO!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought rent burdened was over 30% of gross, not net? Am I wrong, did it change, or what? In that case almost everyone around here doing unskilled work is rent burdened. I make a lot of money for someone my age and I couldn’t even afford an average 1-bedroom apartment in my less expensive town with my salary from a really expensive area. My friends that are in unskilled professions could maybe get a room in the cardboard box fort that crackheads live in behind their apartment complex.

It has to be for gross.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lost employment, cryptocurrency dropped, and then arrested so I have lawyer fees...Could use some advice
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/81a76n/lost_employment_cryptocurrency_dropped_and_then/

quote:

Without too much detail...

I invested 3k in two separate cryptocurrencies before the recent drop, so now I have about 1k in crypto.
My employer found out I was looking for a better paying job, so they gave me a month notice. I only just got a temp job today paying $9/hr cash, which is better than nothing.
I was arrested for possession of LSD/Molly and had to use my last bit of money on a lawyer for sessions court. If it goes past this to criminal court, it'll be another $3,500 for the lawyer.
Notes:

I own a house and have two roommates with pay my entire mortgage/utilities, so I haven't had to worry about paying that much until now.
I just received a letter in the mail from my last job telling the details about my American Funds IRA. My balance is around ~4k that I could withdraw and use if I have to, but it says the estimated total after taxes and penalties is $2,500. Would a loan be better than this?
I have a lot of random stuff in my garage I should start selling like furniture and electronics. I will get on that here soon.
I still have to pay back my friend $1,400 who posted my bond.
I have $2,000 in my bank account right now.
I have a Citi Double Cash credit card with a $7,500 limit and 22% APR.
I don't have a car payment.
I think I'm here to ask what is the best way to go for emergency money. Should I withdraw my $4,000 IRA investment? Should I take a loan out? Should I do something with my house? Should I sell my cryptocurrency at a huge loss or wait for it to eventually go back up? My court is Monday so I will find out if it's going to cost me a lot more then.

Thanks for any advice. I will consider all suggestions and comments.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Should I sell my cryptocurrency at a huge loss or wait for it to eventually go back up?

Gold, worth the read. If he is certain it will triple he should max his credit card and buy more.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

Forgot to source, but it's from like 60 minutes ago.

It's crazy what pre-2019 buyers thought was reasonable.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Devian666 posted:

It's crazy what pre-2019 buyers thought was reasonable.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

How can we make this the new thread title?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Real estate, bitcoin, truck equity, horseboat wealth expo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

How much would it cost to send every horse to college forever?

Yeah, it’s going to take a while for Freckles to clop out that answer with his hoof.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"incredible income potential"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Youth Decay posted:

"incredible income potential"

I love that it is just a deposit receipt for $425. I'm sure she got a check and deposited it, but really who the hell sees that and thinks "wow!" unless they were already unemployed and never get to see deposits. The sadness just compounds though when more than likely the costs associated with getting that $425 exceed it.

Somehow this is even more sad than people posting those pre-paid debit card things.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When your business model is so suspect that you post “I received money in exchange for my labor” posts to prove your haters wrong.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Blinkman987 posted:

When your business model is so suspect that you post “I received money in exchange for my labor” posts to prove your haters wrong.

So normally people post pictures of cheques received and not pictures of what could possibly be a deposit slip.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Blinkman987 posted:

This made me laugh more than it should have. These people seem to have no concept of opportunity costs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I could pay my rent if my parents didn't have to pay it for me! (this month)

*posts a slip showing a deposit of $425 dollars, because she lives in a hole

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Holy :lol:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy fuckballs, that's peak america right there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Guest2553 posted:

Holy fuckballs, that's peak america right there.

I kind of want this as the new title

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bad with money: cleaning my guns with essential oils

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

cowofwar posted:

This.

And then start moving the thread around the forums please.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cocoa Crispies posted:

where $40B was like 5%:

Which is why the comparison didn't make sense to me.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dustoph posted:

This.

And then start moving the thread around the forums please.

That's a punishment, not a reward

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I clean my guns this way when I'm rubbing himalayan salt into my dick eye.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I started tracking the thread title changes in the OP. When I get around to it I'll make it look a little better.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/01/uber-lyft-driver-wages-median-report

quote:

Uber and Lyft drivers in the US make a median profit of $3.37 per hour before taxes.

quote:

Drivers earn a median of 59 cents per mile while incurring a median cost of 30 cents per mile, the report said, adding that for nearly a third of drivers, the costs are ultimately higher than the revenue. The paper reported the average driver profit to be $661 per month.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 2, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

back of the envelope-- at a profit of 29 cents per mile they only travel 12 miles each hour?

i guess that's realistic, actually. wow, uber is...bad?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Moneyball posted:

I started tracking the thread title changes in the OP. When I get around to it I'll make it look a little better.

Thank you for your effort.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Spokes posted:

back of the envelope-- at a profit of 29 cents per mile they only travel 12 miles each hour?

At best it's a labor intensive way to convert the equity in your car into cash.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

cowofwar posted:

It's beautiful, it has so many layers.

I'm very curious to see what happens if Uber finally blows through all their VC cash and no one is willing to pony up more. The entire "gig driving" market could be blown up overnight.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Spokes posted:

Part of Uber's business model is aggressively signing up drivers and using algorithms to clutter them all together to minimize wait times. Uber drivers do a lot of waiting around, but so do all drivers for hire because just like in any business with virtually zero barrier or time cost to entry supply will quickly rise to meet or exceed demand.

Jan 11, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At best it's a labor intensive way to convert the equity in your car into cash.

Correct, keep in mind that a lot of the true costs of operating an Uber vehicle are not realized immediately, including vehicle depreciation and maintenance expenses, which are frequently deferred.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm very curious to see what happens if Uber finally blows through all their VC cash and no one is willing to pony up more. The entire "gig driving" market could be blown up overnight.

Or prices just go up? Less people will be able to afford it and a bunch of drivers will need to find something else to do, but fundamentally an application based car service with "contractor" drivers at arms length is probably here to stay.

See what happened in Austin when Uber/Lyft left.

Jan 11, 2004

The sign of uber blowing through all of their venture capital cash with nobody willing to pony up more will be them announcing their IPO and also your fares will go up about 30%

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Can we share other threads in here, because some dude in the homeownership thread is about to buy a horse.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Lysandus posted:

Can we share other threads in here, because some dude in the homeownership thread is about to buy a horse.

He had no idea what he was walking in to when he posted the word 'Horse' in BFC.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No he is buying a house for his horse, or in effect, his wives horse that she already owns everything the horse will ever needs so it won't cost anything extra. But you can read it yourself.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Part of Uber's business model is aggressively signing up drivers and using algorithms to clutter them all together to minimize wait times. Uber drivers do a lot of waiting around, but so do all drivers for hire because just like in any business with virtually zero barrier or time cost to entry supply will quickly rise to meet or exceed demand.

Yes but in a regular cab company you get to wait around at the shop drinking coffee, shooting the poo poo and making fun of your boss, rather than isolating you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The sign of uber blowing through all of their venture capital cash with nobody willing to pony up more will be them announcing their IPO and also your fares will go up about 30%

Yea, but an IPO takes a lot of time, so I guess Uber would need to plan way ahead for something like that. If they completely ran out of operating cash, they would not be able to sustain the business. One of Uber's big things is being cheaper than taxis too. A 30% increase would probably make them more expensive than a taxi most of the time. They still have a convenience factor going for them, but I think a lot of people would significantly cut back on usage with that sort of price increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or prices just go up? Less people will be able to afford it and a bunch of drivers will need to find something else to do, but fundamentally an application based car service with "contractor" drivers at arms length is probably here to stay.

See what happened in Austin when Uber/Lyft left.

For those of us not in Austin or dutifully following ride sharing news, what happened in Austin?

Yea, but an IPO takes a lot of time, so I guess Uber would need to plan way ahead for something like that. If they completely ran out of operating cash, they would not be able to sustain the business. One of Uber's big things is being cheaper than taxis too. A 30% increase would probably make them more expensive than a taxi most of the time. They still have a convenience factor going for them, but I think a lot of people would significantly cut back on usage with that sort of price increase.

Lyft is already more expensive than a taxi in my area, but it's benefit is seeing where the drivers are related to you and knowing whether or not you can catch a connection in time. With the taxi, it's very much a guess as to when "five minutes" actually means.

The taxi companies really need to consolidate and over their own working version that can still use dispatchers etc, I would have zero reason to use ride share companies.